Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Davros1 posted:

Vlahos has already done Big Finish, so I'm down with this.

I'm one of the few people who like Dorian Gray, I'd like to see what he could do with the role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Box of Bunnies posted:

Volume 4 of New Adventures of Benny (the second with David Warner's Unbound Doctor) and the True Stories short story collection about Benny in the Unbound universe are both out over at Big Finish. Been pretty keen for both.

Well, I picked up New Adventures Vol 4 and I enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing by any stretch, but I particularly enjoyed Truant, as it lets us see The Doctor trying to enjoy himself as a counter to the dreary reality of being President of the Universe. Regarding the ending of the set: It wraps up a little too deus ex Doctor for my taste. Still, not a listen that I regretted overall - but honestly if David Warner wasn't involved, it would have been a miss for me.

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

I'm super done with the Super Genius White Dude Gets to be an rear end in a top hat Because He's a Super Genius show in all of its forms even though I love Rick and Morty and Scrubs and Sherlock and House and all the rest.

We learned this lesson with Archie Bunker. People are too stupid to understand that the rear end in a top hat character is an rear end in a top hat and/or that being an rear end in a top hat is bad no matter how you portray their assholery as being damaging to themselves and others. All they see is the assholery being necessary to their genius. They then believe that being an rear end in a top hat makes them a genius. It's a stupid loving trope, and it needs to go away forever and die, because "he's a rapist, but a GENIUS rapist" is how we get Harvey Weinsteins, and artists should be super aware of the way they glorify that poo poo.

Archie Bunker, super genius white dude.

What exactly is this post in response to?

McGann
May 19, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

angry angry angry

Wow, there is a lot of projection going on here. I'm going to assume you had a bad day. Feel better dude :kiddo:

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Is Nick Briggs a good Holmes? I think I bought one of BF's releases years ago but i never got around to actually listening to it

I really like Briggs in the BF Holmes stories. Plus, knowing he is a huge fan makes it more enjoyable to me as I just imagine he's having an absolute blast playing the character.

McGann
May 19, 2003

BSam posted:

He's good in All Consuming Fire, a really good Sherlock Holmes, Doctor Who Cthulu mythos crossover.

Getting Holmes frustrated as hell at not being able to read The Doctor makes this story a blast for me.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

Big finish did an episode during the War of the Worlds thing. It's quite fun from what I remember.

With Big Finish's trademark horrible American accents, to boot.

*I actually do enjoy it though to say it's over the top is an understatement

McGann
May 19, 2003

The cliffhanger of Aliens Among Us Part 2 which introduces Yvonne Hartman as returning to try to challenge Jack for control of the new Torchwood was legitimately a surprise. I don't really keep up on Torchwood news/rumors. I enjoyed her earlier audio work in the series, so am hoping this will be good.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just my tuppence worth on the Eighth Doctor: Time War.

Overall, lots of neat concepts that don't really link together as a whole. There's some cool "this is how alien the Time War is" scenes, but the actual thrust of the story isn't revealed til the very end, and I was left thinking "Oh....is that it?"

McGann is great, as always, Rakhee Thakrar as new companion Bliss doesn't do a lot honestly, but seems fine - they're aiming to expand her more in further stories - Jacqueline Pearce as Ollistra is a great anti-villain, and it's nice they keep bringing her back, and I want more. :3:

I'll stick some :siren:spoilers:siren: stuff behind this SSLP test link.

I agree with your thoughts on the box set. Some additional comments:

Ship of Theseus was fantastic - I really enjoyed the gradual transition from normal Doctor adventure to whatthefuckisgoingon and gives a good view of the Time War. As you said, the troll bit was not interesting. It could have been, but it felt pretty lazy to me. I enjoy it when stories take a normal concept and turn it into something significant - which is what could have been done here with the 'troll under the bridge' idea, but it was never delved into and obviously existed as a minor point of the story, and to allow it to wrap up.

Each of these stories, I enjoyed immediately after listening - but the flaws become pretty apparent when reviewing them after some time to think on them. They did do a much better job of bringing in the "weirdness" of the Time War in this set than in the War Doctor, and I hope that they continue to explore the complexities and just wrongness that would be part a time war.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've not actually heard very much Vienna, but the list of writers attached are pretty strong. I can speak for I, Davros, the Benny stories, the Torchwood stuff and the Confessions of Dorian Grey line, which are all really good -- and tend to be of a higher general quality than the monthly releases.

Finally, I find someone else who enjoyed Dorian Gray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

The monster sale over at Big Finish was a complete bust for me. Only things I didn't own were two CD only releases. Lots of good stuff in there for people who haven't already spent way too much money on audio dramas though.

Because I think Big Finish needs more love, I've been releases that I've already gotten on a new account. After I finish re-listening to them all I can hand it over to my buddy, who has listened to some releases but never wants to pay full price.
Awesome Xmas present.

• Locked thread