Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Lampsacus posted:

Does anybody else have the problem where they've rewatched the revival episodes so many times they've tapped them dry? I guess I could start on the Martha season again.

I, too, saw them when first transmitted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

even the dreaded Zygon two-parter (which I think had been built up as so thoroughly awful for so long that it was a relief to see that it was really just kind of mediocre, and it also featured my favorite performance out of Capaldi up to that point).

It's not dreaded because it's badly scripted, or badly acted. It's dreaded because the politics are so unbelievably reprehensible.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

The real problem with the Chibnall Silurian episodes

To be fair this is the problem with the Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep as well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

Jodie Whittaker

Sure

I really liked her in Attack the Block, so cool

Agreed

I've not seen Broadchurch but my mum said "oh she was amazing" so good stuff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm sure the burn in time will result in ~hijinks~ which is worrisome as post regeneration episodes are almost all uniformly terrible :mad:

This is a reputation largely down to the Twin Dilemma being so awful. There's only a couple of real stinkers, most of em (like Robot) are fine. Two, the first two, are truly excellent.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Garrett_Anderson

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tavarin posted:

Maybe in a fit of rage he'll finally release any missing episodes he's been hoarding.

The monkey's paw curls and you get another hundred episodes which he wrote and starred in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Valeyard posted:

Hated her character in Broadchurch, don't like her, give me Hayley Atwell instead thanks

Username checks out

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sorry you hate humor.

The only post that hated humour was yours

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

happyhippy posted:

What happens if a pregnant Time Lord regens into a male?

That's how looms get born

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

learnincurve posted:

I'm always quite surprised to see 51% of the population described as a minority tbh

Power relationships are the reason, not simply numbers.

glowing-fish posted:

I wonder how much of wanting "traditional Who" is a British thing.

It's a tosser thing. "Traditional Who" has no traditions, it's an extremely anarchic programme.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hopper posted:

and if you ask me, the last season had too many scary and earnest episodes. When was the last time there was a lighthearted episode with cheesy aliens kinda like those fat blobs?

This post has fallen through a time hole from 1981

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's also this massive cultural thing where everyone knows about it but very few people actually watch it, comparatively.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Daily Mail being super classy and showing all the times an actor who has played the Doctor got naked. Mostly the new lady though. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4701602/Doctor-Jodie-Whittaker-seen-TOTALLY-NAKED-Smoke.html

quote:

This is going to sound cruel - but looking at that picture of her backside, I couldn't help thinking what terrible shape she's in considering she's only in her early 30's.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It is the Mail Online rather than the Daily Mail newspaper. Don't mistake me; they have the same basic values in terms of their editorial stance (I think Dacre - who to my mind is the real villain more so than Rupert Murdoch; Murdoch owns the paper but that's it; Rupert Murdoch also owns the Times and they remain respectable in the main - has the website as part of his remit as well) except the Mail Online is about a million times trashier.

Murdoch absolutely pushes an editorial line. You can have sexist and racist slants to reporting without going to the Sun's level, and that's what the Times has done.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

My avatar is currently the Fourth Doctor in Bowser's clown vehicle with Nintendo versions of Four companions. I usually just get an avatar with the next Doctor after someone buys me an Angry Big Red Custom Title.

Jakiri's avatar is the Fifth Doctor with a hand puppet named Basil (from a British TV show) and he usually does the same.

e: oh, speaking of which, the avatar history website doesn't work anymore, bummer :(

Basil Brush to be precise (and I have a mysterious benefactor to thank for most of them, the only one I bought my self was the Troughton one many many moons ago)

I think I've had this one since, what, The Rebel Flesh?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

a bit late to be responding to the finale, but there's something that really bugged me.

Bill would rather die than "live" as a cyberman. existence as a reanimated corpse trapped inside a metal suit is worse than death. one of the better points of the episode, and shows they had a grasp of the cyberman concept. not like certain 80s episodes that were just moon boots and 'excellent's
contrast this to two years ago when "the brigadier will live on as a cyberman" was considered a loving tribute to the character and Nicholas Courtney instead of just crass and stupid.

ugh

I can safely say that it was probably the biggest misjudgement of what the fans wanted in the history of sci fi television. Even more so than These are the voyages.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Good: I now have a complete McCoy run on DVD :woop:
Insane: I'm three DVDs away from a complete T.Baker run :shepface:

Thanks to Brexit tanking the pound, this trip has been extremely cheap. So of course, I did the logical thing and bought 19 classic DVDS.

Hook up your old friend Jakiri again

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Well, he's actually all for a female Doctor! Too bad Russell T Davies Stephen Moffat Chris Chibnall Anyone Except Lawrence Miles will ruin it if they are the showrunner! :v:

He doesn't say that he should be in charge, and it's not the subtext either (unless you think he considers himself to be multiple future showrunners of varying genders). He's making the not unreasonable point that having either Moffat or the writer of Cyberwoman in charge of the first female Doctor may not turn out well. I disagree with his assertion that a bad series with a female Doctor is Letting The Terrorists Win (or at least think they won), but that's the only really contentious bit of the piece outside his usual curmudgeonly self.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bolingbroke posted:

I've been off Who for a couple of years now due to Moffat exasperation, but this is enough to get me to give next season a crack.

The weirdest negative reaction I've seen to the casting announcement has been from my father, who complained that there had never been a male companion (and therefore a female Doctor was sexist?). I said that, uh, of course there have been male companions, and then he admitted he was wrong because he "remembered Jamie".

He's seventy and hasn't watched Who since 1969. He genuinely does think the show jumped the shark when it went into colour.

Take out the sexism and I like this guy, get him an account

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

"There has never been a male companion." Show literally started with three companions including a male one.

He remembered, and most of them have been women. Even counting people like Adam there's only like a dozen.

Meanwhile, on the Doctor Who Companion Wiki Page, the Brigadier entries are a mess:

2nd Doctor:

His first story is listed as The Five Doctors, the last The Planet of Spiders

3rd Doctor:

Spearhead from Space, then The Five Doctors

Other doctors: not listed. There's an NB on the Five Doctors that says that he appears later in The Five Doctors.

Sort it aaaaaaaat

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

learnincurve posted:

a big list of rules.

Only one secret passage per story? Pah, John Dickson Carr laughs at your so-called rules

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

sinepost posted:

I can only think of To Wake the Dead as having even ONE secret passage in a JDC story, are there any I'm missing?

(I know you're not being entirely serious, but secret passages are basically unforgiveable in a fair play detective story, and dammit, John Dickson Carr was better than that. Mostly)

Yeah, I was making a not entirely accurate joke about the master of Stories That Are Kind of Fair I Guess? But Not Really

Meanwhile, I heartily recommend X Jones of Scotland Yard by Harry Stephen Keeler. A man is found dead in the middle of a lawn, and police suspect a midget who disguises himself as a baby while strangling people from helicopter!

The solution?

He has a genetic condition that supposedly he got by being descended from Napoleon that makes him go mad and then die suddenly in a way that looks exactly like he's been strangled

It's really masterful stuff

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

http://home.williampoundstone.net/Keeler/Home.html

For potential fans of Keeler (that's literally everyone)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That or Talons

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lampsacus posted:

Can't wait for a gender neutral doctor!

Someone call Tilda Swinton

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

learnincurve posted:

We should skip the war part and go right to the diplomatic talking bit at the end?

That oppressed people should just shut up and take it, essentially. It's a view that comes from a very whitewashed view of history, one that ignores all the violence (or threats of violence) that has gone into making societal change. The suffragettes committed bombings. There was a violent Indian independence movement parallel to Gandhi. "Nelson Mandela is a terrorist".

People resort to violence because talking hasn't worked.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

learnincurve posted:

And wouldn't it be nice if the oppressors knew to sit down and talk right at the start as well. That speech wasn't just for bonnie, it was for Kate as well. (P.S. I'm from one of the most oppressed cultures in the world, white people stole me from my family as a baby. Gandhi got it right imo)

The oppressors don't talk at the start because the oppressors have no reason to give a poo poo if existing conditions are materially better for them. "Human rights" has never been much of a reason for people in a position of power to do anything, basically every time it's been invoked it's PR cover for something economic or martial.

This is the case in the episode as well - a new solution is only negotiated because of the threatened and actual violence done by the Zygons. Even if we take your very kind interpretation as base, the Doctor still only gets involved after it becomes a shooting war. He's around on Earth a lot at this point - why does the same thing not apply to him, especially given that he is President [edit] although I forget if it's that episode where we find it out, if so that doesn't really apply [/edit]?

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 23, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Whether the doctor is actually the current president or not he was once, which is good enough. It comes with special powers because putting on the matrix of leadership is the time lord version of space steroids.

What those special powers are is sort of vague and dependent on how any given writer feels about the idea. So somewhere between "nothing" to "has a copy of the entire matrix locked away in his mind somewhere, with all that that implies".

Gallifrey Chronicles was an interesting book and probably completely forgotten now so I'd generally go with "nothing".

He was officially deposed before the Trial Of A Time Lord serial started because he tried pulling that card out then. Don't know if he took the title back after kicking Rassilon off world but it's possible everyone just followed him on the basis of "he's the loving doctor and a legend" if nothing else.

(he also booted the high council off world too so arguably the Time Lords no longer had an official leadership at that point)

President of Earth

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DancingShade posted:

Transformers also has a spark but I'm pretty sure it didn't invent static electricity.

God if it did then that would be so depressing.

The matrix of leadership is indeed from Transformers, the Doctor Who matrix is something very different.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Are the Zygons actually the oppressed though? The treaty allowing them to be on Earth was negotiated with both sides not knowing who they were

In real life terms, there are class issues and not just gender ones. Theresa May and Donald Trump could happily negotiate something that would make a lot of peoples lives worse in both the UK and the USA (and, just as importantly, everywhere else too).

Furthermore, it's clear that the situation was not stable. Remember that the sacrifice the humans made was "allow the Zygons to immigrate", the Zygons had to go through the whole rigamarole of pretending to be humans all the time, and if they were young or not great at shapeshifting run the risk of being lynched every time they went out of the house.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was supposed to be an emotional response akin to the car defense mechanism from Rick and Morty, psychological warfare rather than physical warfare. Unfortunately it completely failed.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I still think there was something fundamentally objectionable in the rebels FORCING the other Zygons out. It reminded me very much of ISIS's stated objective to end the "grey zone" of co-existence between Muslims and non-Muslims in the West, and how much of their violence is specifically meant to cause that kind of backlash. And you know, a lot of that extremism is clearly traceable as a response to centuries of colonial oppression. That doesn't make it good.

It doesn't make it good, but it's understandable - and ISIS in particular are the result of specific and very recent failures on the part of the aforementioned western governments.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

When rewatching Series 9, just watch Zygon Inversion - the Recap is more than enough to catch you up on the important bits you need to remember

Better idea: don't

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

toanoradian posted:

Is Amy and Rory the only two to be a married couple during their companionship with the Doctor? Ian and Barbara, Ben and Polly end up married but that's after they left the Doctor. I guess River counted too.

Yates and Benton

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

toanoradian posted:

Because of that Clara is the only companion who've seen every Doctor and is also the most important companion.

No, it's because of this that she's the most important

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

docbeard posted:

It's also completely reasonable to acknowledge that something has a lot of flaws but that you don't care a bit about those flaws and enjoy it anyway. (Me, when talking about The End Of Time, for example.)

Not everything needs to be an argument. We're not a debate club, no one's going to win the Doctor Who Thread, we're just a bunch of people who enjoy (or don't, but still like talking about) a television show.

Yeah, I won it years ago and I ain't giving it up now

After The War posted:

even Warriors of the Deep for chrissake, because the underlying themes of that era resonate with me and the kind of storytelling I connect with.

Warriors of the Deep is an interesting one, because every single bit of the world building is marvellous and every single bit of the actual story relies on everyone, the Doctor included, acting like a complete moron to get the next plot point.

"Doctor, we're cut off from the TARDIS and the guards think we're saboteurs!"
"In which case let's ACTUALLY sabotage the base, that'll confuse em"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I suspect a large part of it is the combination of Tom Baker (the Doctor that most people have heard of) and Douglas Adams (a writer that most people have heard of)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

The farting aliens almost made me give up because, really? This is the great Doctor Who everyone is obsessed with?

It's a great story once you get past its obvious issues

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

learnincurve posted:

Having read all of Ben Aaronovitch's river's of London series I'm really not surprised to see him on that list.

That's the last two series of the original run ("The Baseball Bat One" is Remembrance, for example, and "Not the Baseball Bat One" is Silver Nemesis)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

You're saying that sure, it can be discussed, but only if they start by saying "Well, I actually think it addresses regressive stereotypes via.." and that if someone denies they see what you see, then "discussion becomes impossible."

No, that's not what he said.

The problem is that, when discussing racism or sexism or homophobia or transphobia or anything similar in media, the side that suggests that "actually the piece of media in question is fine" very strongly tends to completely fail to engage with the arguments being put forward, in a similar style to:

http://www.theonion.com/multiblogpost/this-war-will-destabilize-the-entire-mideast-regio-11534

• Locked thread