Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As always, shameless self-advertising:

An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Season One

5th Doctor
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool

6th Doctor
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man | Patient Zero | Paper Cuts

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari

8th Doctor
Televised
TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
Audio Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was | The Company of Friends

Audio 8th Doctor Adventures
Season 1: Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources
Season 2: Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius
Season 3: Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web
Season 4: Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death

The War Doctor
Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War | The Day of the Doctor

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

10th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Volume 1 | Volume 2

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song

Season 10
The Return of Doctor Mysterio | The Pilot | Smile | Thin Ice | Knock Knock | Oxygen

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | UNIT: Assembled | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1

Also just for ease of access, here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Capaldi is done? Thank goodness. Now I can begin watching this again.
(Never did take to him)

His last episode will be the Christmas Special this year, from next year the showrunner will be Chris Chibnal and a new actor who is yet to be named as the Doctor. So if you haven't enjoyed the show recently, it'll be a good jumping on point for a completely fresh start.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I still really like Series 8, though the first half of Deep Breath really is pretty awful. Series 9 was the problem season for Capaldi in my opinion. It seemed they were going for something all through the season and then they just kind of.... weren't (and that's not even taking into account the deliberate false leads of the Hybrid bullshit). It does have Heaven Sent though which is just a fantastic episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh and just as a follow-up from the last thread, everybody was right and Big Finish were quick to fix MY gently caress-up on that volume of First Doctor stories without issue. Big Finish are great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Ok here's one continuity error/question in Day of the Doctor-

If 12 participated in the stasis of Gallifrey, how does 11 remember? Wouldn't 12 be the only one who remembers because he's the one farthest down the time stream?

12 takes part in 11's scheme, presumably without showing up and telling 11 he was doing so.

So 11 remembers gathering all the other Doctors and trying to save Gallifrey, but has no knowledge that there's an extra TARDIS in there too. 12 remembers that he popped in to throw in some help just to make absolutely sure it worked, having gotten another few hundred years to perfect the calculations.

Of course the real answer is that it was a complicated delivery system for that amazing,"No sir.... all THIRTEEN!" line :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

Coming soon to BBC Three, it's

That Tom is perfection :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite is that Tom is holding the phone upside down. I can easily see him doing that as 4 :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

not only goes into the obvious trap unarmed, but convinces his men to put down their guns and do the same thing? There's so many better ways you could have done that scene and that one feels like such a first-draft placeholder it's mind-boggling.

http://i.imgur.com/5oZspXl.gifv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

The BBC looked at his proposal for 500 practical Dalek models each with a different colour scheme and greebling to signify their rank, the number of life forms exterminated and their last century of clan history and shitcanned it.

Peter: I'll pay for it myself.
BBC: Well in that ca-
Tories: Did somebody say public-private partnership in the BBC as an ongoing model? :getin:
BBC: ...nevermind... :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Chibnal: As you all know I think the Colin Baker run on Doctor Who was awful and bad.... so I've cast Colin Baker as the new Doctor so we can fix the mistakes of the past and get a really good televised run from him this time!
Cut to an astonished and clearly terrified Colin Baker sitting in his easy chair

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Davros1 posted:

He preferred sports.

Eccleston and sports eh? I wonder if there is a show he was in that would combine the two? Ahhh here's a show called Hillsborough, that sounds like a laugh!
100 minutes later
:stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Could be worse, you could have watched Cracker.

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was Let Him Have It :stonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

My wife saw a DVD of Secret Smile with David Tennant on the cover and instantly bought it without having ANY idea of what it was about...

Haha, reminds me of those people who were all excited to see Jessica Jones because it had David Tennant in it :allears:

On the plus side, he was REALLY loving good in it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still love the immediate tonal shift when 10 regenerates into 11. It marks the passing of the torch in so many ways. Tennant to Smith, RTD to Moffat, 10's melancholy to 11's exuberance etc. The way the Doctor shifts from "I don't want to go!" to just being super-excited to have arrived always gets me so pumped up and wanting to rewatch all of season 5 again :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

Five episodes into The Invasion and I'm having a blast. I already knew how much fun Two and Jamie are together but they're amazing in this, Vaughn is such a wonderful scene-chewing villain, and the screaming berserk Cyberman is loving terrifying.

.....Packer... :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Q_res posted:

Actually, just have McGann as 8. Imagine a Two Doctors season story arc where 8 pops up in 4-6 episodes plus the finale.

I was always only half joking when I'd say that the schedule gaps in the revival should be filled with a 6 episode run of 8th Doctor Adventures :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I hope somebody from the BBC notices Peter's hair and goes,"Well poo poo we can't get rid of him now...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After The War posted:

And I just found out I posted that on my birthday! :toot:

Happy birthday whatever day it was you posted back then that one time!

Man this would be a lot easier if I was the Doctor....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

As someone who owns Time-Flight, I can safely say it does not count one bit.

As somebody else who also owns Time Flight, I'd like to say.... :negative:

Well at least it's got the Master being a huge dick for no reason while wearing a costume that fools absolutely nobody before taking it off to reveal to the surprise of nobody that it was a disguise :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I don't think this is likely, but if I try to think out what sort of Doctor reveal they could have that warrants this level of secrecy while also being totally worth it, this is a pretty big one.

Idris Elba will be the new Doctor. Also Peter Capaldi is staying on ALSO playing the Doctor. Both of the Doctors are going to be very confused but just muddle their way through the situation as best they can.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plavski posted:

I wasn't disappointed by the casting of Peter Capaldi :shrug:

I remember when all the speculation was going on at the time, somebody posted something akin to,"Word going around is that it could be Peter Capaldi" and in a rare demonstration of almost having a shared opinion in this thread, most everybody's reaction was,"Well.... that would be loving great!"

And it turns out it was :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

Also, Idris Elba can't be the Doctor because he's needed to be James Bond. :colbert:

So it's agreed and 100% confirmed, Idris Elba will be cast as both the Doctor AND James Bond.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cruel Rose posted:

I recall an audio where it turns out the TARDIS has a gigantic backlog of messages and the Doctor misses a lot of important ones because he's not willing to wade through all the spam.

Paper Cuts I think? I just finished listening to it and it opens with Charley reading the Doctor's e-mail backlog and him reminding her he can't ever be too late to reply to his messages since he's a time traveler :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

From memory Moffat did say the plan was to handle the regeneration in exactly the same way RTD handled his handover. RTD and his crew filmed David Tennant's final scene, then they all filed out and Moffat and his crew came in with Matt Smith to film his part. I think there was a bit on Confidential about it which included Tennant seeing Matt Smith walking onto set wearing Tennant's wardrobe and commenting on how strange it felt to see another actor not only occupying the role but literally wearing his clothes too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Phoebe Waller-Bridge would be fine but Olivia Colman would be fantastic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh God I'm gonna have no(er) money

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It'll be half an hour, but in the last 10 seconds when they go for the reveal it'll just be a bloodied body laying at Peter Capaldi's feet, and he turns to camera and says,"Hello. My name is Peter Capaldi, and I am STILL the Doctor!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I will always take any excuse I can to post this painting made to commemorate these letters :allears:

And for shameless shilling, this edit I made a while back for a games contest

Speaking of shameless shilling, Lick the Whisk! and I have just posted reviews for The Pilot over in his season 10 review thread!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I love Invasion. The way Packer (:smug:) just completely falls apart by the end as the Doctor and his companions destroy his life... :allears:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There's no precise timeframe because it's after Wimbledon, and, y'know, tennis matches tend to last a variable amount of time. But the match will start at 2pm UK time, IIRC.

Goddammit Cilic, give up and end this so we can get to the Doctor.

Also so Federer can enjoy more unexpected glory at this stage in his career too I guess....

TinTower posted:

Not content with pretending to be a disabled man and pretending to be a woman, now he's pretending to be a time traveller. :argh:

Not that it would be him anyway, but why would they cast a Matt Smith impersonator when there's a perfectly good Matt Smith right there with his contract on The Crown just about up? :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

(which are rather less overt than, say, the Narnia books)

Tolkien: I say, these Christ metaphors are a little on-the-nose don't you thi-
Lewis: And THEN Santa Claus shows up!
Tolkien: ....motherfucker....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not sure who the hero of this tennis game is. Federer for trying to get us to the announcement faster, or Cilic for trying to keep Peter Capaldi as the Doctor as long as possible.

CobiWann posted:

until I got my hands on Dragonlance.

I read the second trilogy of Dragonlance books first, loved them, went back and read the first trilogy, loved that and rushed to read everything Dragonlance I could get my hand on.... that was my big mistake.... :cripes:

Similar with the Belgariad, the Shannara books (mother of God) and of course Feist's Magician universe (though I still say the original Empire trilogy ruled). They just keep coming back to the well.

Edit: Oh God and The Wheel of Time... :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stairs posted:

I read the Xanth Novels.
Feel my suffering.

Well at least once you got through the three novels of the trilogy that was it!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I may have got them the wrong way round and what I was watching just made more sense.

Yes, Federer (non-beardy) won. Cilic (beardy) played through injury so you may have heard them talking to him in terms of moral victory or something along those lines.

Anyways get to the announcement!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Argggghhhh why are they still talking about tennis, that news is like 20 minutes old by now :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eat the eggsannounce the new Doctor, smashmouthBBC

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

navyjack posted:

Capaldi has taken his replacement hostage and is demanding to keep all the clothes and the guitar.

They should put that on camera!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy gently caress she was so good in Broadchurch (even the lovely season 2), this is awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't blow this Chibnall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Man I am going to miss Capaldi a whole lot, but this is really cool.

navyjack, check out Broadchurch - not only is she a giant part of the season (and really loving good) but it's also a look at Chibnall getting to run his very own show instead of aping somebody else's style in a script, and it's far better than I would have ever expected it to be.

• Locked thread