Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Capaldi has some of the best episodes of the revival, including Listen and Heaven Sent, so I'm sad that so many people missed out on him because the first half of his intro episode was a complete and utter mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There are huge portions of Hell Bent that I like too, it just has a little too much grandstanding on Gallifrey, with literal lines in the sand and whatnot. Clara had a rough beginning and some of the "they hate each other now!" stuff was poorly managed, but I really like the way that she went out.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

I might rewatch the entire revival next, as I have a fuzzy memory of much of the RTD era.

That's what I'm doing now. I only sort of half tune in so that I can do other stuff while I'm watching (I still don't know what the Wire's motivation was, really and for the third time, I missed the Werewolf's little speech), and it's been fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

While we're all doing Hot Takes on Doctors, during my rewatch I decided I'm not Nine's biggest fan. Eccleston feels like he'd have worked better for some of the slower-paced stuff that they write for Eight in Big Finish. For the way that Russell T. Davies was writing the show, David Tennant was just a better fit. There's nobody that can sell the end of season 3, though. :v:

Both Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were excellent Doctors, and I too, do not hate Clara.

I am glad that the show is in for major changes, because I think it needs to do that every few years to keep fresh, but I am a little worried about Chris Chibnall, and also slightly worried that the BBC is specifically trying for "dashing young male lead." Hopefully Chibnall's "writers' room" approach works out well for the show, and hopefully they have already found someone great to play the Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Timby posted:

The second season is essentially unwatchable to me. Outside of School Reunion and the Impossible Planet / Satan Pit two-parter, it's just so, so much hot garbage. I used to be fond of the Cybermen two-parter, but after revisiting it a few months ago, it was just stunningly bad.

The Girl in the Fireplace is kind of fun, and I don't mind Fear Her too terribly.

New Earth gets worse every time I see it, though. Like the parts of it I used to think were okay are actually just as bad as the vat full of IV cures being mixed altogether.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Aliens of London was pretty fun on the rewatch, though the farts were still stupid.

Part of what makes it easier is you can say to yourself "You know, this new Fartpocalypse Party has a better plan for the world than Theresa May and the DUP." :v

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The nature of the genre means the heroes will mostly be interacting with the villains, but they did throw in that nice guy zygon who's just a victim in all this.

"The nature of the genre" really means that the story was doomed to fail, sadly. It can't be anything but pro-assimilation because it's a tv show with a status quo; like Chris Chibnall's abominable silurian episodes you can't end with the monsters and humans making peace together in a story set in an analogue of the real world, that'd be more unrealistic than the moon being an egg or a 300 foot tall tyrannosaurus. The Zygons' grievance is just but there's no way for the show to meaningfully address it, which it kind of cops to- exposing the Zygons means the death of the Zygons. That's both Bonnie's problem and her plan. The end result is a bit gloomy, which is the only way a story like this could end, really. Next time set it on an alien planet where you can have a happy ending

The real problem with the Chibnall Silurian episodes, besides that they are atrociously boring, is that they're essentially re-telling the original serial, but reversing who the warmongers are. In the original serial, it's the Brigadier to who decides that peace is not an option. It's a story where the alien-looking things that we don't fully understand don't end up being the monsters; the people do. There's an attempt at that in the Silurian two-parter, briefly, when a human woman is taunted into murder, but the Chibnall one really makes it feel like, in the end, it was Silurian militants who escalated the conflict such that they could not co-exist peacefully.

I don't hate the Zygon two-parter as much as some, but I think you're right in that its failure is similar. In both stories, not trusting "the other" ends up being justified by the story itself, and in both stories, we're meant to think that "the other" is both wrong-headed and a threat to our way of life.

Zygons as an alien are mostly just variations on Pod People as a trope, which is hard to do right. "That person next to you may be part of a villainous conspiracy to end your way of life" isn't exactly fodder for a hell of a lot of progressive stories.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

To be fair this is the problem with the Sea Devils and Warriors of the Deep as well.

Sea Devils is sort of rescued by the Master/Doctor swordfight in which Pertwee eats a sandwich, but yeah, there's only one Silurian story, and they forgot how to tell it after the first time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Enlightenment is pretty good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I remember the Infinite Quest (which also had Anthony Stewart Head as the villain if I remember correctly). I watched Dreamland, but I can't remember much about it - I know it was a military thing about Roswell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I enjoy the idea of Russell T. Davies concocting soap opera-level twists to troll the next showrunner (she's pregnant!) via email, long after leaving the show. I'm glad it didn't make it in, though.

He's also been saying that he knows whom they've cast to play the Doctor, but he won't tell. He may be a giant, but he has the soul of a mischievous little boggart.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He never raised his voice. That was the worst thing... the fury of the Time Lord... and then we discovered why. Why this Doctor, who had fought with gods and demons, why he had run away from us and hidden. He was being kind... He wrapped Steven Moffat in a simulation inside of a simulation, in which you cannot breathe or blink. He tricked Peter Harness into a refugee camp in a collapsing galaxy, to be imprisoned there... forever. He still visits Russell T. Davies once a year, every year. I wonder if one day he might be able to forgive him. But there he is, see? He trapped him inside the television. Every television. If you ever see a ridiculous twist on your favorite show and groan, that's him. That's always him. As for me, as for ol' Briggsy, I was suspended in time and the Doctor put me to work voicing the Daleks as their sound editor. We all wanted a Big Finish. So the Doctor made sure we got one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

At the Earth's Core is so close to being an old Doctor Who serial that I legit don't know whether that screenshot is from that movie or one of the Doctor Who ones.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I think Chibnall will change a whole ton, and the console room will be included. I hope the theme son gets a lot less busy but includes, in some form, a picture of Thirteen's face.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

If its still Murray Gold, its not gonna get less busy. He knows not the meaning of subtlety

I guess I meant the opening credits rather than the theme song.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was really hoping that when Missy was pretending to be Doctor Who they'd put her face in the opening credits.

That would have been hilarious.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chibnall: In fact, due to BBC contractual vagaries, all of the surviving actors who portrayed the Doctor, including Tom Baker's wax dummy, are coming back, in separate TV shows. BBC programming is now entirely Doctor Who based.
Crowd member: What about those of us who don't like Doctor Who?
Eccleston: Yeah!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Eccleston *watching The Twin Dilemma, turning toward his host with a big toothy grin*: That coat he's wearing... Fantastic! FanTAStic!
Colin Baker: Oh, for mercy's sake!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, Ecclestone didn't even bother to see the earlier Doctor Who?

A lot of actors will intentionally avoid seeing any previous material for the role they're playing so that they can do a fresh take on it and avoid imitating hallmark performances. It's a way of keeping themselves from being handcuffed by upward comparisons right out of the gate, and it's a preference thing, and I respect it a lot, particularly for a show like Doctor Who, that intentionally sheds its skin every now and then to try to work with new audiences.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was Let Him Have It :stonk:

I think the first thing I ever saw him in was The Others, although I didn't realize it until much later.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nick Briggs, sitting behind Moffat's chair and taking notes: I wonder when I'll be able to get the rights to Nardole...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Coincidentally, I just finished the Donna goodbye episode last night. I remembered it being a big mess, and I guess it is, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable big mess. Even the stupid "A boyfriend for Rose" stuff doesn't end up bothering me, or the weird regeneration cheat. It's just a huge, bombastic Murray Gold, CG Dalek, every companion and every spin-off, sad Doctor in the rain, Catherine Tate imitating David Tennant blast. I'm looking forward to going through the specials and starting season 5. I remember them mostly being pretty bad except for Wilf, but maybe I'll have warmed up to some of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

The regeneration cheat isn't even a cheat, the Doctor redirecting the energy or whatever directly leads to Donna saving the day. I don't necessarily like Rose getting her own Doctor but it all wraps up neatly, and I love a good neatly-wrapped-up story.

I mean, it's David Tennant getting shot by the definitely lethal Dalek ray, with a cliffhanger that literally has a big "TO... BE... CONTINUED!" stamped on the screen, followed by him basically saying "Nah," with a bunch of technobabble. I end up liking it in context because the whole finale is just so over-the-top, it's just this enormous celebration of the first four years of the revival. When the next episode is just Donna reciting more and more technobabble that lets her clown on the Daleks, she could have just flown around and shot lasers from her eyes and I'd be on board at that point. It's a great finale.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They've got to be just about ready to announce who the next Doctor is at this point if they're done filming. It'll probably just get leaked if they wait much longer.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Peter Capaldi was always really gracious and patient. You can bet that not everyone who wanted a photo was polite about it, but you never once hear anything about him turning somebody down, and half the time, he's the one who offers.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Are the specials streaming anywhere? It seems Doctor Who isn't on Netflix, so I've been watching it on Amazon, but they skip straight from The Next Doctor to season 5. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Doctor Who: The David Tennant Specials on amazon. I just looked they are there

Thanks. :lol: that not even Amazon can classify the specials correctly. During the 100th anniversary special some kid is going to be asking "I'm doing a complete watchthrough (yes, including the pre-hologram years, before the Sixth Extinction), and I need help on figuring out which order the last five episodes of the David Tennant era aired."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget Eleven seeing Prisoner Zero turn into himself and just going "who's that, it's rubbish :confused:".

In the first episode of the revival, Nine assesses his ears.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They should get a woman in the role because women are criminally neglected for great leads and this would be a step toward changing that. It obviously should be someone good for the role and nobody thinks otherwise, so "I just want them to get someone good at acting" is a meaningless statement. "I don't care what gender or race the character is" is basically just a way of saying "I don't care about diversity." :shrug:

It's going to be a white dude, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Planet of the Dead has Daniel Kaluuya in it :stare: Talk about a waste of talent!

Which now makes me wish we could see him as the Doctor. He's got the whimsical charm, he could nail that haunted "older than he looks and has seen some stuff" vibe, and if his monologue toward the end of Fifteen Million Merits is any indication, he can definitely nail all of the emotional speechifying the Doctor tends to do.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For what it's worth, Russell T. Davies has said that he already knows who's playing the next Doctor, but I guess it's theoretically possible that he's in a small enough circle of people in the know that they could keep it under wraps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Happy birthday whatever day it was you posted back then that one time!

Actually, that sounds pretty much like what the Doctor would say.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I started collecting DVDs for classic Who, but there's this tiny, irritating problem with physical media that I just can't get past: it costs money. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Wait, they did? So they finished filming, and the director still doesn't know who the next Doctor is? Did they leave some room open to film one more scene? Is someone lying? Does it end on a regeneration cliffhanger?

Moffat said that Chibnall will write the regeneration scene (apparently he wrote the Matt Smith moment for The End of Time) and that he doesn't want to know about it because he's tired of the burden of keeping secrets, but I can't imagine that they get a new director just for those scenes, so it's definitely weird.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, it makes sense to get Chibnall to write the scene. I just figured they'd get that worked out before they filmed the episode.

Yeah, it's weird. Moffat's discussion of it makes it sound like they phone and email a lot but haven't even met in person to discuss the switchover, and if they've wrapped on filming, you'd really think the director would have known about it. They've definitely already cast the Doctor, but I don't even know who "they" includes besides Chibnall.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

That was really bad wolf, bold prediction Suranne Jones is the doctor.

Only if they can get Matt Smith back to play the TARDIS :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

If we do get a female Doctor, would we be more likely to get a male or female companion?

I'd love to see a female Doctor/male companion's dynamic if Chibnall could turn it on its ear slightly.

I'm kind of hoping we go back to the days when there was more than one companion. It lets them have their obligatory "person from our year to sort of be an audience stand in" while also maybe having someone from the future. Plus, Nardole really added a lot this season.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

After The War posted:

By this point in the original run, there had been already been periods of just future companions, just historical, and all the mixes and permutations possible. :(

I know, right? And the Vicki & Stephen/Jaime & Victoria/Jaime and Zoe dynamics were all fun.

Well, maybe someday they'll do it again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am so loving happy with this decision. Jodie Whitaker is a great choice. She's worked with Chibnall, she's fantastic in Black Mirror and Broadchurch. I haven't been this excited about the next season... well, ever, actually? This is amazing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Do we know how long Time Lady menstrual cycles last? They live a long time, what if they last a long time? What if we end up with an entire season where she's on her time period and it's nothing but 12 episodes of her sitting on the couch in the Tardis, eating ice cream, and watching The Real Housewives of Gallifrey?

This isn't funny even as irony FYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I'm sorry you hate humor.

Ah yes, the classic defense for any terrible joke, but especially for the lovely edgelord ones. Basically:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only post that hated humour was yours

• Locked thread