Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Fil5000 posted:

On the other hand, Craig has managed to avoid having a comedy American sherrif in any of his films so far. Nor has he dressed as a clown to defeat the plans of Steven Berkoff, gone into space or had sex with Grace Jones, so it's a very mixed bag.

agreed the Craig films are on the whole worse than Moore's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

:eng99: death of a spouse negates the need them to give consent for the certificate

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

a bit late to be responding to the finale, but there's something that really bugged me.

Bill would rather die than "live" as a cyberman. existence as a reanimated corpse trapped inside a metal suit is worse than death. one of the better points of the episode, and shows they had a grasp of the cyberman concept. not like certain 80s episodes that were just moon boots and 'excellent's
contrast this to two years ago when "the brigadier will live on as a cyberman" was considered a loving tribute to the character and Nicholas Courtney instead of just crass and stupid.

ugh

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Well I mean the idea is that the Claras are "fixing" things after the Great Intelligence has screwed around in the Doctor's timeline so basically that stuff is true and how it really happened in the Doctor's life, but then the GI did something to change it and Time Lord Clara had to just kind of nudge him back in the right direction.

and somehow it's even more awful on screen than written down like that

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Hemingway To Go! posted:

speeking of weeping angels, one thing I'm surprised Moffet did not do, along with being the one to address the Valeyard thing as long as he was playing with regenerations, was make a "genesis of the angels" episode before someone else did.

maybe he'll still write one for chibnall.

maybe he couldn't think of an origin story that would contradict their other appearances enough

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

RTD (chain smoking): Oh God what was the name of Martha's fiance.... Todd? Was it Todd? I think it might have been Todd? I guess I should look it up... oh God is that the time? This loving deadline! gently caress it.... she marries.... Mickey why not? Yeah that'll do.

Moffat was sitting across the room from him chuckling because he's already written all of season 5, and thus felt safe to kind of kick back and not worry about season 6 for awhil-oh God he forgot to write season 6! :gonk:

It's because they're Smith & Jones. Whether that's a good reason is up for debate

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

bring back the middle eight, cowards

they could at least do it on special occasions. when there's a lot a guest stars and the credits could use the extra space

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

how do you cosplay a character who hasn't even had a costume shown yet?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I know but people have been banging on and on and on about racism :( the only problem I ever had was them making the first black companion's father a cheat who left his family for another woman, which did display a staggering lack of awareness of racial stereotypes by everyone involved.

That's a fairly unremarkable part of Mickey's backstory though. He's from 21st century London, not Victorian times.

But anyway, Bambera was the first black companion :colbert:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

learnincurve posted:

I was unaware that they did it with Mickey's dad as well :(

It's one of the most genuinely damaging stereotypes the Black British communities have. Racial profiling is a thing. Black woman is a single mother, the automatic assumption with employers and benefits agencies is that the baby daddy ran out on her. The wankers at the dole office are especially cruel, and are forever suspending black people's benefits because they assume they secretly live together, just because a black father is being a real daddy and is involved in his kid's lives.

Fact is that a white woman from the same economic background is just as likely to be a single mother because of a partner leaving, a marriage falling apart, or because her man died. It should be noted that it's not like America here, we don't have the history of segregation or black ghettos. The vast majority of black people here are descendants of people invited over in the 1950s, because we needed to make up the numbers in the workforce after a generation of young men were lost in the war.

Mickey was raised by his grandparents. Having accidentally killing his Gran by not fixing the loose carpet was why he worried so much about stuff.
But now I realise we were talking about different characters, I can't actually remember if Mickey's dad left for another woman or if they weren't that specific. Time to rewatch s1&2 the best seasons :)

For what it's worth Rose was raised in a single parent household, for exactly the one of the reasons you mention. Quite the tapestry RTD gave us.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Lack of Chinese characters probably driven by the UK demographics - only about 1% Chinese & other East Asian combined.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

SiKboy posted:

If they want to fit another master or two in before Missy then that could have been her just loving with the Master. I mean, I dont think that would be a good idea, but they could do it if they wanted.

yeah it'd be nice if the writers could hold themselves to higher standard than trash 90s superhero comics

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

will the CD just be 70 mins of all the barrel scraping clips from their sounds effects library

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Either Big Finish or BBC Books retconned in that there were several Guardians alongside the Black and White Guardian (as portrayed by Valentine Dyall and Cyril Luckham) and that the Celestial Toymaker was the Crystal Guardian, though I don't remember which.

This kind of poo poo is why it's better not to insist on repeating every character from the past shows. Just leave them be and write new stuff

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

castrovalva is baffling. why is it like that? everything about it is bad!

Actually it is good

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Cleretic posted:

Tennant's kind of reaching a typecasting problem, I think. He's probably got a decent range, but if he's cast for something you know it's for a fairly narrow section of that range. And he's good at what he's being cast as, but it means you've got a pretty clear idea what you're getting right away.

you can't watch his Hamlet and say he's got no range.
but if you've only seen him in trash sci-fi like Dr Who or Jessica Jones I can see why someone might get that idea.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What was he like in Casanova?

hot as gently caress

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

This makes me sad because it means law and order UK is truly dead

they could make L&O in the year long gaps between dr who's

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

no. it's just a thread in joke

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Ooh, a BRCT that someone kept Doctor Who in!
shocked that the UK D&D thread is full of reactionary man-children

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

TinTower posted:

Cassandra was a commentary on plastic surgery obsession. Making her trans contributed nothing to the plot except to low-key make a jab at trans people too.
Think you’re trying to read to much into that there.
It’s just one piece of Cassandra’s background. Not anything to do with her being a villain

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'd like to think the Brigadier would consider 13 a chap, and a splendid one at that :)

has experience of being replaced by a woman. and that worked out pretty well

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

question: would people prefer that we use spoiler tags for Shada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I keep starting some version of Shada and never finishing it so maybe this new adaptation will be the one

it's still two episodes longer than it needed to be.
as usual, i wouldn't recommend watching these serials in one sitting.

does anyone know about this jamie goss they've gotten to novelise Dr Who And The Krikkitmen for xmas? as far as i can see his career is entirely doctor who books which isn't a promising sign

• Locked thread