Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Puzzles??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Playing on the new ocean really does bring me back. Feels like the opening of Sage, where the economy was still in flux and fortunes to be grasped on every island. Certainly a fun time to hop in!

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Whats amazing is the new devs are actually listening as well, people complained about doubloon delivery prices being to high for ships, so they just lowered them all today.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Holy poo poo am I bad at these puzzles, but I've been looking for a decent puzzle game and also a crew based game, so this fills two wants. I'll be requesting an invite as Sterling whenever I see an officer online.

Did you guys just focus on one puzzle type when you were learning or try to be a jack of all trades?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
I used to play this a bit ages ago. Brings back memories. Seems like a good time to give it another shot so I'll be in as Robhol, will try to get an invite when I can catch an officer online.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

belt posted:

Holy poo poo am I bad at these puzzles, but I've been looking for a decent puzzle game and also a crew based game, so this fills two wants. I'll be requesting an invite as Sterling whenever I see an officer online.

Did you guys just focus on one puzzle type when you were learning or try to be a jack of all trades?

Better to focus on specific puzzles that you're good at - i'd advise getting good at one of either sailing or rigging and one out of carpentry, patching or bilging, whichever you feel most comfortable with. It's a good idea to go out on pillages and see which stations go unfilled so you know what to focus on. If you want to do gunnery or bnav get a lot of practice in first since you usually won't be allowed to do them without a certain level of skill.

It's also a good idea to get a decent amount of practice in at both rumble and swordfighting since those are crucial at the end of a pillage.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
These tutorials suck rear end, not helping the help pages are broken.

Look up on the wiki every puzzle. Did you know that rumbles had a charge mechanic that's extremely important for them? I didn't, cuz I was never told! :v:

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

These tutorials suck rear end, not helping the help pages are broken.

Look up on the wiki every puzzle. Did you know that rumbles had a charge mechanic that's extremely important for them? I didn't, cuz I was never told! :v:

We have links in the crew information to some really good guides and tutorials, its true the in game tutorials do miss out on a lot of important info.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Hell yes! This game was always best when playing PVP.

I remember playing with goons and we took our sloop and intercepted another sloop that had just come back from the zombie island or whatever. We win the battle and the loot transfers to our ship, yet all the special loot disappeared after it got into our hold! The other players were so mad they contacted a GM because they thought we were cheating somehow, despite the fact that you can attack any other ship in the game you want but will quickly face dire consequences if you attack ships below your class. Anyways it was pretty funny to make some people mad even if we didn't get to keep the loot, the GM said it was a bug and just shrugged.

In as Renold.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I'm in as Whybeard! I love this game -- it's so unique to find an MMO-style game with actual hard-skill elements required.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Which Discord are we using?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

We have a flag discord that we use.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I miss this dumbass game. I doubt I'll play it again because I have ~too much poo poo~ on emerald and not enough time but god drat do I miss playing carpentry for hours upon hours. Also learned everything I know about playing poker from this game. God speed guys~

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So I just finished running my own little sloop pillage, the second I've ever done. Battle navigating is hard but I will one day be good at it! Thanks to the goons that came along and endured my many screw ups.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
It was a fun experience, Jac. I've amazed out how good our group was at SF. Even though you got hit a few times, we managed to pull through.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

My pirate didn't save before. I am in as 'cuckoldry'.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

The economy is a bit messy right now, and our flag seems unable to build as many ships as we need for the first island takeover. But we are still sinking plenty of the enemy ships.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
what's activity like in EUTZ?

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

This game was the loving poo poo when I played it as a kid. I had no idea what I was doing but I had a sloop and I was the captain and gently caress you all the loot was mine

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

what's activity like in EUTZ?

Jacada and I (so/captain) are both EU so we have good representation. I'd say of the goons who have joined up so far it's probably 50/50 between EU and NA. Today we ran two War Brig pillages, one at 3pm BST and one at 11.30pm BST. The flag we're in is also really active and is probably 60/40 NA and EU.

wtfd00d
Feb 21, 2002

The Original What The Fucker
I used to play as Sloopdogg back in the Salty Mouthful days!
In as Clipper.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Jacada posted:

The economy is a bit messy right now, and our flag seems unable to build as many ships as we need for the first island takeover. But we are still sinking plenty of the enemy ships.

I think the key will be to get goons organised in terms of labor, is the list of goon owned shops on the Anarchist Syndicate page up to date?

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

I think the key will be to get goons organised in terms of labor, is the list of goon owned shops on the Anarchist Syndicate page up to date?

Yeah its up to date, we last updated it last night.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

LemonyTang posted:

Jacada and I (so/captain) are both EU so we have good representation. I'd say of the goons who have joined up so far it's probably 50/50 between EU and NA. Today we ran two War Brig pillages, one at 3pm BST and one at 11.30pm BST. The flag we're in is also really active and is probably 60/40 NA and EU.

cool, in as Blitzwing

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Jacada posted:

Well we have a fair few goons now! Some of which have already set up shops and own a ship. I don't really get why people bot on this game, part of the fun for me is trying to figure out how to do well at a puzzle.

How against the rules is it to bot? I'd probably run a second account on my other PC and then just funnel the profits to my play account if it's something they look the other way on

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Oiled and Ready posted:

How against the rules is it to bot? I'd probably run a second account on my other PC and then just funnel the profits to my play account if it's something they look the other way on

how can a robot play a puzzle?? is man truly replaced by machine already?!

you dont need to work to get money just have all the shop owners make you things and resell it

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Speaking of, what are the most in demand items right now? It seems to me that there is poo poo-tons more labour than there are stalls to use it but i'm not sure what the actual demand for stuff is. Good starting point seems to be ironmongers making cannonballs?

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Definitely distilling. You can't go wrong with rum and cannonballs--especially with the upcoming blockade. Until hemp becomes a widely available commodity, you're not going to get much work weaving unless you find a flag ship builder affiliate, but even then the pickings are slim.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

Oiled and Ready posted:

They're pretty against botting as far as I can remember.

I found my old OP attempt for back when the ocean merge happened, and I think there might be a few things you could repurpose for this one, if ye like. I'm also gonna go ahead and hop on Dark Seas here in a bit and would love to join you all for some fun again.

edit: holy poo poo the new menu music, jesus christ

Grinnblade fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 21, 2017

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Grinnblade posted:

They're pretty against botting as far as I can remember.

I found my old OP attempt for back when the ocean merge happened, and I think there might be a few things you could repurpose for this one, if ye like. I'm also gonna go ahead and hop on Dark Seas here in a bit and would love to join you all for some fun again.

edit: holy poo poo the new menu music, jesus christ

Glad to have you onboard!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Moose_Knuck posted:

Definitely distilling. You can't go wrong with rum and cannonballs--especially with the upcoming blockade. Until hemp becomes a widely available commodity, you're not going to get much work weaving unless you find a flag ship builder affiliate, but even then the pickings are slim.

lol implying I can get Expert on distilling. It has suddenly clicked for me though so hopefully I can start grinding out some crystal clears.

I hate weaving with a passion so i'm good with not doing it.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
You know what? There's not nearly enough anime in the OP. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5c1oPQ6qZs

(The things you find when you hit the Mix option on a favorite sea shanty of yours....)

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Makr BallZ men love balls.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

lol implying I can get Expert on distilling. It has suddenly clicked for me though so hopefully I can start grinding out some crystal clears.

I hate weaving with a passion so i'm good with not doing it.
You can work at my shop for 50/55/150 but protip ive only ever used one hour of expert labor

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Grinnblade posted:

You know what? There's not nearly enough anime in the OP. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5c1oPQ6qZs

(The things you find when you hit the Mix option on a favorite sea shanty of yours....)

The only sea shanty you should be listening to on pillages is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

PhantomZero posted:

The only sea shanty you should be listening to on pillages is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

This is a fantastic song!
The leader of the biggest enemy flag in the enemy faction tried to attack one of our flags War Brigs... and promptly got sunk. Pretty drat glorious.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I'll try it! In as Horatia.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I don't have time to go on pillages right now, so basically my pirate is working every day in Albert's shipyard and putting up the puzzle pirates equivalent of those WWII industrial propaganda posters

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Breadbeard reporting in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestah
Dec 7, 2010

by Cyrano4747
In as fungus

• Locked thread