Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'd like to know more about the limitations on poker. To what extent are buy-ins reduced, and how effective is it in stemming the flow of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

So the max amount of money you can buy into the game with now is 2000, instead of 200k piece of eight. There is also a rake taking 3% of every win, so far it seems incredibly effective with far more people pillaging and taking ships out to sea monster hunt.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
Albert, if you're around, I got my hands on my own sloop, but I need Officer rank to actually use it.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

DontMindMe posted:

Albert, if you're around, I got my hands on my own sloop, but I need Officer rank to actually use it.

What's your IGN? Sorry for not catching you before now

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

LemonyTang posted:

What's your IGN? Sorry for not catching you before now

Don't worry about it. Someone else took care of it.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

I remember putting way to many hours into this game. What is the server population like? I assume when it hits steam it will probably skyrocket.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

I remember putting way to many hours into this game. What is the server population like? I assume when it hits steam it will probably skyrocket.

Usually around 300 people online, can get up to 500 or so during prime time.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Man dubloon prices are just skyrocketing. They've gone up over 1.5k in a month.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Hell yeah this game kicks rear end. I just got rid of my greenie status and I'm shilling for dubloons so I can afford a sloop. Add me as yer hearty! Add Plunderpants!

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

Better to focus on specific puzzles that you're good at

Bear in mind, there are few things more obnoxious than being on a crew with someone who tells the captain that they "don't do [insert puzzle]." If you're bad at something, get good at it. Your crew will thank you.

Twinparable
Aug 5, 2008
In as Twinparable and excited to prowl the seas again, it's been ages since I thought about this game but I always liked it.

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

The game has officially launched on Steam.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Oh snap! This is a thing again? I haven't played this game in entirely too long.

I'm in as Kakaraka if anyone wants to pick me up.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

In as Warsloth. I'm getting random crashes of the client and afterwards for about 30 seconds it says Logon failed: We experienced a problem authenticating with Steam. Please ensure the steam client is running.

Any ideas?

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
Don't know if anyone remembers me but I was in the Salty Mouthfuls back in the day as Boring, gonna jump in later today when I get home from work. Hope to relive some of the glory days of 05-06

EDIT: ok fully signed up, in as 'Boring'

Boring fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 22, 2017

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Salty Mouthfuls vet reporting. In as Hurrhurr and playing later tonight. Gotta get those Ultimates back.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
welp servers under heavy load, can't log in! How many people can be playing, 300 at most?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Get this poo poo on Steam. Join or create a real goon crew and let's SAIL.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Come play, big things are coming. Now is the perfect time to join up again.

If there are any really old timers here you probably recognize me by my old YPP name, Daaman. Blockades are on their way to open and the game is more active than it has been in a very, very long time.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
800 players last night!

I just decided to treat myself to a new outfit and headed to the tailor, was amused to see that in over the ten years since i stopped playing, they haven't added a single new item of female clothing aside from a couple hats

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

Time to start talking strategy. Specifically, I mean to get my own ship soon but need advice on how to do it. I'm guessing that the first practical step would be to buy a sloop. Before I do, I'd like to know if ships degrade over time the same way badges do. Is buying myself a ship enough to get started? I feel as if I'm going to need an officer or captain's badge second, right? Probably can't even sail the thing without one. What do I need (minimum) to get myself into a position where I'm the one calling the shots and divvying up the dough at the end of each voyage?

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Flavor Truck posted:

Time to start talking strategy. Specifically, I mean to get my own ship soon but need advice on how to do it. I'm guessing that the first practical step would be to buy a sloop. Before I do, I'd like to know if ships degrade over time the same way badges do. Is buying myself a ship enough to get started? I feel as if I'm going to need an officer or captain's badge second, right? Probably can't even sail the thing without one. What do I need (minimum) to get myself into a position where I'm the one calling the shots and divvying up the dough at the end of each voyage?

Ships do not degrade but can be sunk in pvp if you are far enough out.
You do indeed need an officers badge but apart from that you are all set!

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

This looks pretty fun now for some reason. I barely understand anything going on above my station but it actually looks learnable unlike ti did the last time I tried this. In as Waaldo.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
God, I loved this game as a kid. I was a beast at sailing. I wonder if being an adult now will make me any better at literally any other puzzle.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TrekBek posted:

God, I loved this game as a kid. I was a beast at sailing. I wonder if being an adult now will make me any better at literally any other puzzle.

It might, but nothing that has any sort of time component.

I was an OG on the first public ocean back in 04-05, I checked back in this last week just for the poo poo of it to claim my name and check for my irl pirate friends. Still good at puzzles but the reactions and micro movements that truly set a dude up as ultimate in whatever time critical puzzle left with my twenties haha.

Boring posted:

Don't know if anyone remembers me but I was in the Salty Mouthfuls back in the day as Boring, gonna jump in later today when I get home from work. Hope to relive some of the glory days of 05-06

EDIT: ok fully signed up, in as 'Boring'

Sup I think I remember you, I'm Stuyvesant just like I was back with the BSB/NF. memoriessssss.

Any goons see me on obsidian throw me a hearty, I'm enrolled in a legacy crew right now because I'm just not gonna bother putting in time or politics this go-round. However I will make your boat go fast or fix it REAL fast and poo poo on bots in swords and fists.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 30, 2017

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Alas now that it's Steam-only Obsidian no longer runs on Linux. Oh well, guess I'll chill on Emerald (as Rhube) and see what happens. So much easier to get good/excellent/incredible performance on puzzles! Here I thought I was rusty as hell, but I guess it depends on the playerbase or something.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Culinary Bears posted:

Alas now that it's Steam-only Obsidian no longer runs on Linux. Oh well, guess I'll chill on Emerald (as Rhube) and see what happens. So much easier to get good/excellent/incredible performance on puzzles! Here I thought I was rusty as hell, but I guess it depends on the playerbase or something.

The amusing thing is now that Dark Seas is on steam, puzzle performance is through the roof.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

I'm back playing again after real life got in the way. I see they fiddled with some settings again. But it's looking good so far.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm glad to see that even after being gone for this game for literally a decade, bilging is still the worst puzzle.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Glagha posted:

I'm glad to see that even after being gone for this game for literally a decade, bilging is still the worst puzzle.

I disagree. Distilling is the devil.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Jacada posted:

I disagree. Distilling is the devil.

But that's the only puzzle I'm any good at! :(

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Unhappy Meal posted:

But that's the only puzzle I'm any good at! :(

Please take a job at my stall on lionhaven if that's the case :p

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JerikTelorian posted:

The amusing thing is now that Dark Seas is on steam, puzzle performance is through the roof.

Yeah it's loving impossible to even get a sustained sparkle any more on obsidian, I mean I'm not THAT old something must be off with the algorithm. Don't remember enough about how it works.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Looking to get in. Been playing this game on/off for awhile

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I wonder if the people better than me at the main three quit so I can be #1 now.

I'll give this a shot at least. Played this so much way back when as a top 10-20 in sails, bilging and carpentry on Midnight. Was some fun times. Wondering if I can still do it.

Is the PvE bnav still exploitable with last second moves?

E: Rip, no one is on. I guess I can buff up my skills to get into the better puzzle effects.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 21, 2017

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
In as Manipulator to screw around a bit.

Jacada
Aug 1, 2009

Yeah I'm on vacation right now so I'm unable to invite. Keep an eye out for Albert in game.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I haven't played this game in years; what happened to The Salty Mouthfuls?

I always thought that was a loving genius name.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I dunno about subsequent iterations, but Salty Mouthfuls were a beta crew that disbanded before beta ended (Rubby where you at). As far as I know, I had the only 'goon-run' flag after that for a few years, although I didn't recruit from the forums.

I wanted to post a write-up I made for a goon crew a few years ago on one of the dub oceans. I wrote this a long time ago so if it sounds dumb then sorry.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yLxaLMnuxpbyoPve5hbJd0gXXdcK56hBCLs39Ihh0vI/edit?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Keshik posted:

I haven't played this game in years; what happened to The Salty Mouthfuls?

I always thought that was a loving genius name.

They were still "active" up until twoish years ago, though I haven't seen Extrametrica around in ages.

• Locked thread