Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Can you copy and paste? There's a paywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Buca di Bepis posted:

All I know about the Canadian housing market I learned from HGTV, where the mother of 2 has a part time job expressing anal glands and her budget for a home in Toronto is $800,000.

This reminds me of the scene in The Big Short where the stripper talks about how she has 3 houses and a condo and is totally going to refinance all of them after the adjustable rate kicks in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I knew a girl in college whose parents did that. They bought a huge house in MD and basically abandoned their daughter in a private school there. Like literally enrolled her in school when she was 13, told her to look after the house, and then left and went back to China. As you may imagine, she was an emotional (and alcoholic) mess because of it.

Anyway, she finished her PHD in BME at Oxford last year and is doing postdoc work in Germany so I guess everything worked out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On a lighter note, apparently Scott Walker is has the world's most milquetoast Instagram feed, and it's hilarious for reasons that remain a mystery to science.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Manafort, Junior, and Douchebag met privately with a Russian lawyer with connections to Putin shortly after Trump claimed the nomination last year.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/08/us/politics/trump-russia-kushner-manafort.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think the reason why nobody really cares is that Trump, for better or for worse, has surrounded himself by so many stupid and incompetent people that the threat has largely been contained.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nothing. mueller is in control

the legal team he has gathered is ridiculously strong and grand jury stuff has been going down in the eastern va and new york courts. i think jersey too but w/e. the financial stuff has been ongoing in nyc and the russian stuff has been going through the rocket docket in eastern va

Yeah. From all accounts that I've read, it's basically the jurisprudence equivalent of the original Dream Team and is probably the most experienced and battle-tested prosecution team ever assembled. Lots of experience with money laundering, financial crimes, counterintelligence, and even arguing cases before the Supreme Court.

Yes yes, nothing matters, etc.; however, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of Trump's high-ranking lieutenants (Manafort, Kushner, Junior, etc.) end up being indicted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I doubt Pence goes down for anything criminal. He might resign due to some highly embarrassing poo poo, but I don't see him being brought up on charges. And frankly, I think Paul Ryan will do less damage as President than he could do as speaker so I'm fine with that highly unlikely scenario.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

TBQH, if the tile had actually been that sensitive, it would have been in a clean room where people wear Tyvek suits instead of Brooks Brothers, and would have been put away before the boss was let in for his tour.

Doesn't make the picture any less hilarious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

More and more the only way I think we'll ever get anything approaching decent cybersecurity is to start holding software "engineers" and IT professionals to the same rigorous standards we hold the engineers building the rest of our infrastructure.

Electrical and mechanical engineers are the people responsible for pretty much all of the problems with critical infrastructure cybersecurity right now. They're the loving people who designed the systems.

Like literally every ICS network that I've worked on has been managed by electrical and mechanical engineers, not network engineers or security engineers. They usually have no idea what they're doing and view it more as a nuisance that distracts them from the rest of their job. Which is true, because it shouldn't BE their job.

psydude fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2017

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

That doesn't change my overall point though: the Trumps are winning at life from the perspective of several generations worth (including going forward) don't have to struggle for anything, regardless of who helped who get where.

Give me a billion dollars and I'm winning at life even if I didn't earn a dime of it.

Either way I think the rhetoric doled out by Fox News from 2009 to 2016 did more to benefit Trump in the election than Russia could have ever hoped to.

I guess my bigger point is, from the perspective of a Trump, what benefit is there to be anything other than what you are? They still have billions and now they have a branch of the government. Until someone holds them accountable... heh, never mind, nobody will ever do that.

The point isn't whether or not Russia actually ended up helping Trump. It's that unchecked Russian attempts to interfere with the electoral process (along with everything else) is a greater threat to national security than whatever brown boogeymen conservatives can concoct.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

If we start using mercenaries in large numbers again maybe Rrail can move out from underneath the overpass.

From Oxford. My only real reservation about her is that she once counted Ivanka as a friend which puts some pretty serious doubts about her judgement on the table.

You never hung out with some rich idiots just so you could enjoy all of their parents' cool poo poo?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think Richard Painter actually does a good job of boiling all of this down:

quote:

“Let’s cut through the baloney here. We know what the Russians have been doing,” Painter said during a later appearance on the network. “When the Russians call or someone calls on behalf of the Russians and offers derogatory information about a former secretary of state who is a presidential candidate, the first person you call is the FBI.”

“I don’t care if you’re Republican, as I am, or a Democrat. You call the FBI. The last thing you do is go meet with the Russians to try and get the derogatory information," he went on. "They’re only trying do that in order to use you to accomplish some purpose. And we know what that is — it is undermining our system of representative democracy.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/11/donald-trump-jr-treason-buzzword-240406

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Even Fox News is having a difficult time defending it.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/11/trump-jr-burns-gop-defenders.html

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

:golfclap:

Meanwhile, Donny continues to nurse his addiction to responding to anything that airs while he's watching cable news.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885133603105116160

:lol:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gotta convince the MAGA crowd to pay for their benefits so they can give additional tax breaks to the rich.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

What the gently caress kind of nazi shop do you work at

He lives in Utah.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Parks and Rec's 2017 timeline was way better than this one we're in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

I wonder if the "I love it" Hitler stache was intentional.

Has to be. I love it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Alot of the people who you see on Fox news who were in/around the Superdome were those that didn't have the means to evacuate. Sure, the government at every level said to leave, but there was no public means of evacuating for the 10s of thousands of super broke citizens of Louisiana who didn't have a car and didn't make the cut in a friend or family members vehicle.

Being told you have to leave and not having anyplace to go when you live in 3rd world poverty is kind of like being told you're gonna die by the government. Everyone involved in NO and the broader La. State government during Katrina should be hanged until death. gently caress every single one of them.

Edit: also gently caress FEMA, George Bush, Cheney and every federal stooge right in the pussy

Yeah pretty much. A lot of people in major cities don't have cars, not just those who are poor. New Orleans has very little regional mass transit, so there was really no way to efficiently evacuate people using the existing transportation infrastructure.

The big question was why wasn't the military (national guard, reserve, and active) engaged sooner to evacuate people.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

suboptimal posted:

I spent some time doing reconstruction work in the Lower Ninth Ward in 2008, three years after the hurricane.

Every person I talked to who had been there during Katrina had a hosed-up story. One guy I talked to almost drowned in his mother's attic, but found a hatchet and chopped his way out through the roof.

A white guy who lived near the Lower Ninth had a humvee's .50 and several M-16s trained on him outside of his own home because the guardsmen thought he was a looter because he wasn't black.

More than a few people told me that more than a few deaths that got attributed to the flooding were actually people settling old neighborhood scores. The cops weren't going to spend a lot of time trying to figure out why this set of semi-skeletal remains found in the overgrown thicket that used to be a house's foundation had an entry wound in the skull or marks on the ribs from a knife.

One of the things that really delayed NOLA's recovery was contractor fraud. People would get the insurance payout to rebuild or remodel their homes and hire a contractor, only to have them disappear the second they got any money, or disappear in that 15 minute window after they got paid and before their shoddy work completely fell apart. Some of the homes that I worked on were on their second, or even third, reconstruction.

Katrina was really an eye opener for me in terms of learning how lovely (most, but not all) humans are to each other when the chips are down, and the very real limits of what the state and federal government can and will do.

That said, breaking into the abandoned Six Flags on the city's outskirts and running around at night was pretty cool.

I drove down to NOLA on pass from Camp Shelby during mobilization to Afghanistan. Driving by the Six Flags on I10 was surreal.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He wants to force a vote on it so they can put it to bed (or to the grave) and get on to giving tax breaks to people who don't need any more money.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

Trump needs to start offering free booze at his rallies then imo.

I think fentanyl would play better.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm all for making fun of the Cheeto for being fat, but secret hour long meetings with Pooty Poot are a bit more important to report on than his inability to keep up with Angela Merkel during a brief walk.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

what the gently caress is this about this clinton/ukranian collusion I been hearing in fox news????

There was an opposition researcher for the DNC working to dig up poo poo on Manafort's Ukrainian connection. That's really it. They had almost nothing to do with the Clinton campaign.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Missionary Positron posted:

Wasn't the CIA Syria program a huge success compared to Pentagon's?

Yes but the CIA said mean things about Trump.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My friend got diagnosed with cancer right after finishing his undergrad degree and was only able to stay on his parents' insurance by the grace of the ACA. He went on to get his M.Eng in ME and now designs package sorting systems without having hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt hanging over his head.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The DoD medical system also includes numerous civilian and contract doctors, so yes, it is actually as bad as you think.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Military doctors also make a ton of loving money. On top of their officer pay they also get a massive chunk of change for being a doctor and then another $Texas depending upon their specialty. It's probably the only job in the military that's actually pays about on par with what it would in the civilian world, aside from an E3 42A.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Derek Dominoe posted:

Hahahahahahaha no.

The money is much better on the outside. Sometimes hilariously so. The more competitive your specialty (Neurosurgery, Anesthesia, etc.) the more this is true. Dermatologists are paid the same as primary care docs when they can make a million bucks with a we'll run practice.

Pediatrics is probably the closest to being paid market value, but only because they make so little on the civilian side.

Of course. But the vast majority of military doctors and dentists do about the same as they would in the private sector, especially when you factor in the free medical school.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

All of my guns were made by Germans or for killing Nazi's. Presumably, many of whom were German.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sure seems upset about those tax returns.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If Sessions resigns then Rosenstein becomes the acting AG. And with McCain gone, Republicans can only lose two votes on his replacement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

orange juche posted:

On a scale of 1-10, what is the happening status of the Wapo article? I just want to know exactly how erect I should be in preparation for the follow-on events.

Like a 7. Middle School gym short boner levels of erect, because this is all just as embarrassing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The dead man switch for Sessions is Rosenstein, which is hilarious.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He hired an outside legal team, so they're probably competent, unlike his idiot personal lawyer.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Whipping votes for a bad bill is one thing. I'm betting he can get more (R)'s to agree to do nothing about "a political question that is within the scope of the President's powers" when the alternative is getting butt hosed in 2020 and some of them losing their seats.

With McCain out, he only has a two vote margin in the Senate for anything. And some of those senators are beginning to realize that they gain nothing from helping Donnie out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

all the gop senators that voted no on the health care bill are not up for reelction in 2018

He's already promised to primary Flake and is hinting at doing the same with Heller. Heller lives in a swing state that went for Clinton and elected a Democrat in 2016. That's two people right there that have no reason to give a poo poo about Donnie.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best Friends posted:

"Better skills, better wages, better jobs."

It's the first part that kills it. "Hey loser should have learned 2 code lol hey why is everyone walking away?"

Should have said "training" instead of skills. On the other hand, none of that changes the fact that unskilled labor that pays more than minimum wage won't exist in 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm seriously not joking when I say neocons and neolibs have the same goals. The only difference is that Dems are covert and Republicans are overt

Wake up, sheeple!

• Locked thread