Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Right, most flag officers joined around the Gulf War era or earlier. A lot of the hardcore zealots I know got out during President Obama's tenure to go work for conservative think tanks. I don't know if that is good or not, but my anecdotal evidence is a lot of the officer corp is back to being Center Right. Most of if the "conservatives" I know are of the traditional sense, and voted for Rubio or Kasich in the Primary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
There is a societal correlation between intelligence and self worth/esteem. Generally people with high IQs are substantially more critical of their own flaws, and can over analyze themselves to the point of extreme self doubt. (or with a chemical imbalance depression) It's something that is seen heavily in the hard sciences and engineering, which also adds into low social intelligence and emotional quotients i.e. The introvert nerd stereotype.

The lower echelons of intelligence (2 standard deviations below of the mean, so IQs between 70-85) also are intelligent enough to understand that they aren't as smart as their peers, and it can turn into maladjustment in society if social intelligence is also low. If a person is 3 standard deviations below (sub 70) they generally have a mental handy cap of some sort, thus requiring different schooling and care.

Generally though people within the one standard deviation of the mean (85-115) tend overstate their intelligence the most, as school is tailored to this entire gambit of people (essentially 2/3rd of the population), generally have a stereotypical social life, and are best fit for the world. Add in a touch of narcissism and you get someone like Donny.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Interesting. Do you have the study that's from? I'm curious because the two studies I've see showed that the bottom doesn't tend to overstate at that level. Also I want to know which test they used, in case that has anything to do with the results.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments, 10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121, aka the origin of the term Dunning-Kruger effect.

The irony of my effort post. Thanks.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In non Agent Orange news, it looks like the police may have captured a serial killer where 4 men went missing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...n-went-missing/

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I'm from Kentucky and I say kill'em all!

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I retired in 2013 so I've not served with transsexual's that were openly trans. Are there really 15,000 full blown transsexuals in uniform?

That number sounds remarkably high.

It is. There is a feasibility study by RAND on the integration of Transgendered personnel in the military. The actual number ranges from 1320 to 6630 for active and 830 to 4160 for select reserves. So even if we take the .5% of the population as gospel, which I doubt given Military demographics don't line up with national demographics otherwise, we would only have 10790 personnel across all Service members. http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1530.html the demographics are listed on page 67.

As for lovely opinions on the matter, my only concern is the readiness aspect. I don't personally have a dog in the fight, so if the transgendered person can do the job then I see no issue. However, I work in a job where It's been 6 on 6 off for the 13 years. My MOS, and unit specifically, breaks dwell all the time just to get people out the door. If I'm losing a Soldier for 18 months for transition, and not able to send them to specific locations due to medical treatments not being available, then the mission is being hindered. Obviously there are other jobs and MOS that it wouldn't be an issue, but there isn't a limit on where they could serve as it stands, which is my one issue with it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
The best military, we can totally fight on every front with bigly success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Did anyone bookmark that article on Trump finances with the Russian investors in the 1990's?

This one was posted earlier, but it's more along the lines of his ties to Russian Organized crime, which also has ties to "legitimate" Russian investors.

https://newrepublic.com/article/143586/trumps-russian-laundromat-trump-tower-luxury-high-rises-dirty-money-international-crime-syndicate

• Locked thread