Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Now that the manga's complete, it seems pretty clear to me that the whole world being petrified again is the biggest oh poo poo/wild/interesting/surprising plot event/moment/story beat of the manga. But I'm curious: does anyone think something else in the story was more surprising/interesting in the manga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

NowonSA posted:

Now that the manga's complete, it seems pretty clear to me that the whole world being petrified again is the biggest oh poo poo/wild/interesting/surprising plot event/moment/story beat of the manga. But I'm curious: does anyone think something else in the story was more surprising/interesting in the manga?

the first appearance of why man sticks out for me, i found the skeleton design to be genuinely unsettling and very different than anything in the manga until that point

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I think I agree, that entire climax was a real treat and abusing the whymans' constant radio transmission on a hail mary play with Suika was a huge "oh poo poo".

But I gotta say the giant swirling mass of medusas on the moon was also pretty wild

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

rannum posted:

I think I agree, that entire climax was a real treat and abusing the whymans' constant radio transmission on a hail mary play with Suika was a huge "oh poo poo".

But I gotta say the giant swirling mass of medusas on the moon was also pretty wild

this happening and also a shonen comic having a good ending.. what a twist!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
With the story complete, I think that the ending could've been slightly better. Even if I don't know how. :shrug: You know, the Medusea remind me a little of the aliens from Signs. So once they're on a planet with gravity they go inert, can't communicate, can't move and have to hope that the beings they petrified are smart enough to get out. That's almost as dumb as going after a planet filled with water when you can't handle water. But at the same time, everything around them is so well written that it all neatly wraps up and every weird thing is explained. Even why the medusa are so dumb.

Looking back, what I appreciate the most is how it would often gloss over some steps, either because they've already done them or because they're very simple. It's always allowed this series to keep its momentum. It's also had its fair share of memorable villains. Tsukasa, Ibaru, Moz and to a slightly lesser extend Xeno. Not that Xeno was bad, but he could've been slightly better if they played into his "dark scientist" persona just a little more.

Low point for me was probably just Ryusei, I don't mind his desire schtick. But I just dislike the way he just strong arms his way into the narrative and causes people to be like, he's cool even when they should have clear reasons to dislike him. Like Tsukasa and Hyoga whose entire philosophy is pretty much completely opposite of his and his introduction of money. They also used his desire to give him abilities that would normally by someone else's thing. Like him gyroscoping. He's just a bit of a cheat to me.

Still, a very solid series and I'm going to miss it.

The whole world turning to stone was a great oh poo poo moment. But I'm also fond of pretty much everything with Ibara

Hmm, I wonder if the titty bot is now canon thanks to time travel. It's just from an alternate time line.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I'm bummed that the final chapter doesn't tell us what happened to the most important character in the manga, Science Consultant Kurare.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Darth TNT posted:

Low point for me was probably just Ryusei, I don't mind his desire schtick. But I just dislike the way he just strong arms his way into the narrative and causes people to be like, he's cool even when they should have clear reasons to dislike him. Like Tsukasa and Hyoga whose entire philosophy is pretty much completely opposite of his and his introduction of money. They also used his desire to give him abilities that would normally by someone else's thing. Like him gyroscoping. He's just a bit of a cheat to me.

Maybe he's a caricature of the writers bosses who weren't all to happy with this whole "Kill the rich and powerful, they were evil" idea they started going down?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Darth TNT posted:

I don't dislike Ryusei, but I agree with this point. Everything after escaping with Xeno felt like it was moving at super speed compared to what came before, and one of the victims of that was basically glossing over any sort of interpersonal relationships. Every character from that point forward, other than the strike team until they get petrified, is 100% on board with Senku and co, and never question or betray them from that point onward.

I do like the explanation of how the medusae float, and how Senku immediately realized how much science that unlocks. Like of course if you can reduce the mass of something to 0, you can make a light speed turbine.

Question, we now know that the errant petri-beam that hit Yo and Gen that one time was caused by putting the medusa in a vacuum, which allowed it to wake up and use that beam as a way of trying to communicate, but was the accompanying explosion ever explained? Part of the mystery of that whole scene was that it wasn't just a beam, it was also an explosion (Yo's hair is shorter form that point onward because they couldn't find all the pieces of it) but I don't think that is ever explained.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
It's been pretty clear for a while that this was gonna be the case, but I was a bit surprised that basic questions like "how will the new society be organized" were completely ignored after they built the boat.

Yeah, sure, it's a science adventure manga. But every major antagonist was majorly motivated by their own answer to that question. Magma wanted to maintain the rule of the strong over the smart. Tsukasa wanted to establish an anarcho-primitivist society with no accumulation of wealth. Hyoga was a social darwinist who wanted to purge the weak and unskilled. Ryusei wanted to reestablish capitalism. Ibara just wanted to be an absolute dictator. Xeno wanted to establish a technocratic dictatorship where scientists ruled everything. Fundamentally, all these conflicts were about who gets to be in charge in the new society, and how resources would be distributed in the new society.

In the end, Senku never had a better answer to it than "who cares, I just wanna do science, and everyone will want to help me do science when I offer them cool poo poo". He didn't want to come under anyone else's control, and he wanted to work for the benefit of all of humanity without writing off even a single person...but that was it. He just went with whatever made that easiest (which, in the end, was pretty close to Xeno's ideas, only with him as supreme leader instead of Xeno). Yet without answering any of these questions, he had an easier time recruiting a totally-loyal global industrial workforce than he did in recruiting a tribe of hunter-gatherers.

It makes sense if that's something they want to gloss over, since it's a fun science manga, but I always found it really surprising that they made it so core to Senku's foes despite not really wanting the protagonists to address it in any sense.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Senku is very "I'm going to do what I want, when I want to, and if anyone gets in my way I'll shut them down with science", which is great for a "fun science manga" I agree.

That being said there is 100% a parallel universe where Senku and Co just go meet with Xeno on diplomatic terms, and the two just agree to team up until why-man is defeated, and a quarter of the whole story is avoided :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It is definitely disappointing that the whole "rebuilding society" thing was completely and totally scrapped/glossed over. Every single antagonist and arc up until the final one was basically being introduced to and then fighting against someone's personal conception of how human society should be rebuilt - Tsukasa's caveman paradise, Hyoga's caveman paradise-but-with-more-darwinism, Moz's "I'm strongest so I get all the chicks and everyone else dies or serves me", Ibara's autocracy-by-way-of-fake-theocracy, and finally Xeno's technocracy.

Clashing viewpoints on how society should be rebuilt were just as important and central to the manga as all the fun science stuff, so it's super unfortunate that when they actually do begin depetrifying mass amounts of people there's not even a sniff of any form of conflict or discussion about how humans from enormously disparate parts of the world who are waking up into the stone age are going to fall in line behind Super Science Kid. I never expected some kind of deep diplomatic world conquest arc starring Senku, but I wish they had touched on it.

It's a good manga and I don't mind the ending, it's just that the final arcs felt far too abbreviated.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It definitely felt like there was going to be more to rebuilding society (who can forget the global plan showing all the cities to build), and probably be a much longer manga, but wanted to get to the end after 5 years and unfortunately that meant cutting way back on the society stuff probably since it was the easiest thing to gloss over.

E: & the final chapter itself kind of had to do that too, since it was only normal length and had to cover the return, the wedding, senku's insane science project...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm not sure if it would've made for a very fun story without massive padding or repeating issues if they didn't gloss over the big cities being founded.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the space program wasn't really plausible without civilization being restored off-panel. also all we know about the restored civilization is that they help senku do whatever he wants.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

One big thing they just gloss over is that by reviving all of society they also revive racists and other similar shitheads. Even if they see the state of the world and be convinced of Why-Man's existence, those types would still find a way gently caress things up for everyone. I get that a shonen manga isn't equipped to deal with that or come up with a perfect solution but it's just weird that it doesn't get mentioned at all.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
"Ugh I can't believe they're doing this AGAIN, this series should have ended at like chapter 250 when it was still good."

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

That was a good series. My only gripe was the lack of conflict in space. The chapter where the control panel malfunctioned was really good, but other than that they got to the moon and Why-Man pretty effortlessly. They had so much preparation done to fight the medusas too. I was expecting a battle after that fake transmission was sent but then it immediately went to talking. Compared to the other arcs versus Ibara and Stanley, this one felt too easy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The series was good over all, I had a lot of fun following it, but I do agree that it could have used one more arc to settle the question from the beginning that's been running through most of the series--what kind of society are we building? They touched on it a lot but never quite hit it head on. I think it's entirely possible that the author wanted to do it since it's right there but he couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer or way to fit it in.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The society they built was the kind that you, the reader, want to see in the world, dont think about it too hard and make us answer a question like that :)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

amigolupus posted:

One big thing they just gloss over is that by reviving all of society they also revive racists and other similar shitheads. Even if they see the state of the world and be convinced of Why-Man's existence, those types would still find a way gently caress things up for everyone. I get that a shonen manga isn't equipped to deal with that or come up with a perfect solution but it's just weird that it doesn't get mentioned at all.

I think Tsukasa covered that about as thoroughly as you’re going to get via the whole genocide of the old

Also Senku is 100% not interested in playing god like that, he made that fairly clear in the story and he runs the show sooo

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

amigolupus posted:

I too can't believe they didn't dedicate an entire volume in this Shonen manga to meticulously detailing how the post-revival global civilization functions. Where's my chapter on waste management logistics you cowards!! :argh:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

8one6 posted:

I too can't believe they didn't dedicate an entire volume in this Shonen manga to meticulously detailing how the post-revival global civilization functions. Where's my chapter on waste management logistics you cowards!! :argh:

But we already had those chapters of Matsukaze looking after Ginro. :v:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Ultimately you have to focus on something somewhere if you want to finish a work, and it's pretty clearly SCIENCE!!! here and not sociology etc

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dog Kisser posted:

Ultimately you have to focus on something somewhere if you want to finish a work, and it's pretty clearly SCIENCE!!! here and not sociology etc

It's mostly odd because sociology was honestly just as important if not more so than the SCIENCE!!!. Basically every major invention they made up for the majority of the manga was made to create or influence some sociological result. Senku made ramen and the sulfa drug to ingratiate himself with the village because he wanted more manpower. He made steel and katanas and communications devices to oppose Tsukasa. He made a gun to fight Moz and Ibara, etc.

SCIENCE!!! was incredibly important and a central focus but it was always in service of interacting with others.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kanos posted:

It's mostly odd because sociology was honestly just as important if not more so than the SCIENCE!!!
Well Sociology has kind of been "won" at this point with all living humans allied with team science, and with enough power and tech to conquer any at this point conceivable earth enemy. It makes sense to just end the series on a cool note and point to infinity and beyond while waving SCIENCE!! banners.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bisse posted:

Well Sociology has kind of been "won" at this point with all living humans allied with team science, and with enough power and tech to conquer any at this point conceivable earth enemy. It makes sense to just end the series on a cool note and point to infinity and beyond while waving SCIENCE!! banners.

It was "won" because the manga didn't want to spend the time engaging with it beyond "they showed up and cooked every group of people they revived a tasty meal and all of those people were down to devote themselves to team science kids, with no rumbles or dissent or disagreement among any of the massively disparate cultures, just everyone on the same page so Senku and Company can focus all of their time and attention on building a moon rocket".

Again, I don't feel like the manga turned lovely and I don't hate the ending for what it is, it's totally fine. It is a bit weird to me that the focus changed substantially, and that they spent time flirting with "dark science" and "light science" before forgetting about that idea completely because we need everyone on the same page for the finale.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
An interesting way to end the story, though they seem to be avoiding the question of what happens with time travel i.e. they are saving lives in the past but they are also destroying the lives that were created from this timeline.

SKULL.GIF posted:

From Chapter 1. Look at third panel leftmost balloon.

What happened on March 6th, 2017?

I guess this is what you call a character arc /s

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flair posted:

An interesting way to end the story, though they seem to be avoiding the question of what happens with time travel i.e. they are saving lives in the past but they are also destroying the lives that were created from this timeline.

If they stone the people in the past who were already going to die anyways and unearth them in the future it should change nothing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the space program wasn't really plausible without civilization being restored off-panel. also all we know about the restored civilization is that they help senku do whatever he wants.

They did make a point to show the Kingdom of Science flag flying alongside various countries so it is safe to assume that Senku's group has a position of power in the new world.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they stone the people in the past who were already going to die anyways and unearth them in the future it should change nothing.

I'm trying to imagine the negotiation process for doing this.

"Yeah, so we're time travelers from 3000 years in the future, after civilization was destroyed by every single person on earth being turned to stone. You died in that mess, so we're going to turn you to stone right now, bury you in a safe place, then unearth you 3000 years in the future so you don't die."

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

They can just swoop in after the petrification and move them then.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
New chapter: 232.1

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cloks posted:

New chapter: 232.1

I missed Dr Stone, this was a really fun chapter.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Wow, figured it was done and we wouldn't get a followup.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wow, figured it was done and we wouldn't get a followup.

I think a few other series have gotten these "extra" chapters some time after release. I assume these are basically bonus chapters for the final tankobons?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This was a great extra chapter and for a second there I got worried the chapter being called Terraforming means they'd shove Tiddybot into the story for no reason. :v:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
As far as I know, there has not been any announcement of a serialized sequel or spinoff, but it would be funny if 20 years from now, for the nostalgia, Dr. Stone returns as a Sci-Fi anime/manga spinoff where their offspring have terraformed the multiple planets.

Nonetheless, the author has yet to draw a room for those two, but continues to tease it nonetheless.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

rannum posted:

I think a few other series have gotten these "extra" chapters some time after release. I assume these are basically bonus chapters for the final tankobons?

Yeah sometimes they bring them back to male up for other series on break

Currently theres 3 (OP, black clover, JJK) so theres a decent amount of space to fill.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flair posted:

Nonetheless, the author has yet to draw a room for those two, but continues to tease it nonetheless.

Honestly that seemed pretty unambiguous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just finished watching the anime before s3 in april?

this was AWESOME

edit: in case anyone is like me, start the manga at chapter 90

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 26, 2023