Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just finished watching the anime before s3 in april?

this was AWESOME

edit: in case anyone is like me, start the manga at chapter 90

Where did this season end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Where did this season end?

Season 2 ended with Tsukasa "dying" and the special episode, which is like an hour long, covers the balloon creation and first travel.

edit: aaaaand I'm call caught up :cry:

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 28, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Dr. Stone is back! It snuck by me, but we're two episodes in and things are getting nuts. Including a huge plot reveal!

I guess the petrification beam is some sort of alien technology? The ring-thing definitely didn't look of terrestrial origin to me

Prowler
May 24, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

Dr. Stone is back! It snuck by me, but we're two episodes in and things are getting nuts. Including a huge plot reveal!

I guess the petrification beam is some sort of alien technology? The ring-thing definitely didn't look of terrestrial origin to me

I guess this does double as the anime thread now! Be careful, this thread was originally the manga thread and you might get spoiled if you read too far back!

I need to watch the anime. I was only okay with season 1, not sure if they improved into season 2.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Prowler posted:

I guess this does double as the anime thread now! Be careful, this thread was originally the manga thread and you might get spoiled if you read too far back!

I need to watch the anime. I was only okay with season 1, not sure if they improved into season 2.

Ah poo poo I bumped the wrong thread.

I think the second half of part 2 is off to a strong start though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

..new chapter?

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-4d-science-chapter-1/chapter/40897?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019503

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Now this excites me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yo what the gently caress?!?!?!?

I'm getting hyped up

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Time to get excited!

e: Looks to be a multi-chapter spinoff too. Sweet

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
My current working theory: This is Senku's clone-son, who he named after his father.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

wokow6 posted:

My current working theory: This is Senku's clone-son, who he named after his father.

Probably a biological son, referencing the discussion they had earlier about who Senkuu was going to hook up with.

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Vengarr posted:

Probably a biological son, referencing the discussion they had earlier about who Senkuu was going to hook up with.

That kinda falls apart when you remember that Byakuya and Senku aren't related by blood

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Balache404 posted:

That kinda falls apart when you remember that Byakuya and Senku aren't related by blood

Senku can just name his son after him though?? Its just the name that the message gave its not like it came with a dna test

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senku not being related to Byakuya was such a weird wrinkle, especially since it never mattered in any meaningful way. Like him not being related to any of the villagers doesn't exactly matter with how much time had passed and also his uninterest in hooking up with anyone in the first place.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

muscles like this! posted:

Senku not being related to Byakuya was such a weird wrinkle, especially since it never mattered in any meaningful way. Like him not being related to any of the villagers doesn't exactly matter with how much time had passed and also his uninterest in hooking up with anyone in the first place.

I think it's purely to allow for a relationship (or at least the possibility of one) between Senku and Kohaku.

Sure, so much time has passed that that wouldn't matter, and the Ishigami villagers must have some degree of inbreeding involved anyway, but it is a kids manga and it stops that question coming up.

I think it is a retcon, probably an editorial thing or something. Byakuya and Senku are clearly drawn to look related.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, it's probably another "just in case" thing, like how Taiju was there juuuuuust in case Senku wasn't popular enough to be the full MC. And hey, if there was gonna be a romance, I appreciate the lengths to not have incest, however distant.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I had forgotten how horny Boichi’s art is. I’m glad Horikoshi has competition again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like the dynamic between Senku and Kohaku a lot. It cracks me up every time.

"I mean, I'm down if you are--"

"Eh....seems like a lot of work."

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Vengarr posted:

Yeah that's my theory, some sort of direct descendant carrying on the name. Given the power demands and pure theory at work for their time machine, it wouldn't surprise me if it took multiple generations and maybe even a few hundred years to actually make the thing, though that'd leave out having most of the characters around to see it work (though I guess petribeam healing might be a way around that, or at minimum definitely allows sending someone forward in time without aging).

Interesting that the message didn't seem to be full of vital info or anything. I get that they were just hoping to do it as a test and the content of the message itself wasn't particularly important to them, but it doesn't seem like this manga to not put in some kind of batshit insane message that really shakes things up.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

does this imply that a decade has passed since the why-man tribunal? if so everyone’s character design remaining static implies that they’re taking full advantage of the pseudo-immortality that petrification enables

also all of the cast but especially senku and xeno should be venerated as equivalent to gods but here are the world governments scoffing at xeno’s proposal out of pocket

bocchi’s art is so wild sometimes, it largely escaped my notice until ruri’s dad is flashbacking to her drinking the medicine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

panko posted:

also all of the cast but especially senku and xeno should be venerated as equivalent to gods but here are the world governments scoffing at xeno’s proposal out of pocket

It's not like this manga has been particularly shy about calling old world leadership short-sighted morons. The entire thrust of Tsukasa and Xeno's villain arcs was "modern day governments sucked rear end and we want something different/better instead of just bringing back the mistakes of the past".

I honestly don't really understand this governmental arrangement they have going on here. They have some government guys going "your plan is goofy and stupid" but then Xeno threatens them(jokingly?) and then it looks like Senku and friends can just spend the enormous amount of resources making a moon base to make a time machine for no immediate return on investment in a post-apocalypse society that should still very much be in the rebuilding phase.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

its one of those important questions that arises from the rebuilding of modern society alongside its ostensibly dystopic elements that kind of needs to be ignored in order to enjoy the last few arcs of the manga, like the reimplementation of currency, capitalism, nationhood, religion, etc., and on a more character-driven level, how tsukasa feels about all of it

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kanos posted:

It's not like this manga has been particularly shy about calling old world leadership short-sighted morons. The entire thrust of Tsukasa and Xeno's villain arcs was "modern day governments sucked rear end and we want something different/better instead of just bringing back the mistakes of the past".

I honestly don't really understand this governmental arrangement they have going on here. They have some government guys going "your plan is goofy and stupid" but then Xeno threatens them(jokingly?) and then it looks like Senku and friends can just spend the enormous amount of resources making a moon base to make a time machine for no immediate return on investment in a post-apocalypse society that should still very much be in the rebuilding phase.

Senkuu is best buddies with the world-ending apocalypse device, that’s a nice thing to have in your back pocket when you go looking for grant money

E-spoilers in case the anime-only crew enter by mistake

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 6, 2023

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

panko posted:

its one of those important questions that arises from the rebuilding of modern society alongside its ostensibly dystopic elements that kind of needs to be ignored in order to enjoy the last few arcs of the manga, like the reimplementation of currency, capitalism, nationhood, religion, etc., and on a more character-driven level, how tsukasa feels about all of it

University of Planet is the best SMAC faction, don't worry about it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Now that the world is back to what it used to be tech wise, I wonder what the garbage and landfill conditions are. They had to do so much in a short time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

panko posted:

Yeah, the manga isn't really interested in actually exploring the process and all it entails because it would involve asking really hard, complicated questions, and the manga just wants cool science adventures. That's totally fine and good - not everything needs to be a serious analysis and deconstruction about the flaws of modern society - it just means that any questions about how they're running things and allocating resources once they get past the Ishigami Village level are ultimately in the realm of "repeat to yourself it's just a show and you should really just relax".

Vengarr posted:

Senkuu is best buddies with the world-ending apocalypse device, that’s a nice thing to have in your back pocket when you go looking for grant money

I actually hope that this isn't the motivator because it would mean that Senku isn't functionally any different from Tsukasa and Xeno. We had two whole arcs about how ruling people with the threat of death and violence is lovely!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Science solved politics we're all good now

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mabels big day posted:

Science solved politics we're all good now

Turns out man portable nuclear petrification weapons are a wonderful negotiating tactic.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kanos posted:

Yeah, the manga isn't really interested in actually exploring the process and all it entails because it would involve asking really hard, complicated questions, and the manga just wants cool science adventures. That's totally fine and good - not everything needs to be a serious analysis and deconstruction about the flaws of modern society - it just means that any questions about how they're running things and allocating resources once they get past the Ishigami Village level are ultimately in the realm of "repeat to yourself it's just a show and you should really just relax".

I actually hope that this isn't the motivator because it would mean that Senku isn't functionally any different from Tsukasa and Xeno. We had two whole arcs about how ruling people with the threat of death and violence is lovely!

To put it another way, he is in charge of the magic healing/resurrection/food preservation beam. That is also a nice thing to have.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I love that this manga popped up again just as I was thinking of it’s explanation on how microchips work. My son is doing a project on it and I wanted a simple explanation on how 1 and 0 can make a lot of things. Not sure if the flag thing really works though.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Chapter 2 of the sequel: https://out.reddit.com/t3_18kj90w?a...iewer%2F1019504

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mankind unites to build a tower to the heavens, but discord strikes early in the project due to seeming divine intervention? Looks like I'm not the only one who sees Tower of Babel parallels in the space elevator concept.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Wait, what’s the issue here. Shouldn’t we be giving Why-Guy a loving medal for getting rid of mosquitos?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Wait, what’s the issue here. Shouldn’t we be giving Why-Guy a loving medal for getting rid of mosquitos?

What would the yellowjackets eat? They’d all starve and….err okay. Nevermind.

I like dr stone, but I’m not a big fan of this storyline with the futuristic builds.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

The issue is the implication that Whyman is manipulating the humans into building certain projects. Regardless of intent, that's at the very least a violation of the agreement made at the end of the series for it to mostly be an observer of human scientific progress.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tree Reformat posted:

The issue is the implication that Whyman is manipulating the humans into building certain projects. Regardless of intent, that's at the very least a violation of the agreement made at the end of the series for it to mostly be an observer of human scientific progress.

I don’t see how the thing they found proves that, in any way. Looks more like assistance to me.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Vengarr posted:

I don’t see how the thing they found proves that, in any way. Looks more like assistance to me.

Ryusui is also implying Whyman faked the Byakuya broadcast to embolden the enthusiasm for the time machine project.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Let’s not have Senku become Arthur from Gunnm: Last Order.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the next season of anime has been announced to be its last and I'm just not sure how they could fit everything left even with the speed up the final arc of the manga had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
It will probably end with a movie.