Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Senkuu is going to build a nuke and a submarine to launch it from before this series is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Weren't we supposed to be building a drone...? How did we get so sidetracked?

I assume the series is gonna take another turn after they get the platinum, or they're going to lose it soon after getting it. Otherwise the combination of "Revive anyone you want" and "gunpowder weapons for everyone" is going to really cut into the core conceit of the series.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 19, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kanos posted:

They did build a drone. That's what those remote control rats are.

The purpose of the drone project was to get orders/materials to Kohaku without getting caught, which is what happened here.

No, the RC cars were a test. They’re building a flying drone to steal the petrification grenades outta the air.

Patware posted:

you mean 'progressing technology as fast as possible'? because securing infinite revival and gunpowder weapons are really explicitly a part of the core conceit of the series

I think the core conceit is finding scientific solutions to real-world problems. That’s hindered if the solution to every problem becomes “shoot it” or “find someone with the answer”.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kohaku with a gun is going to be able to handle pretty much anything short of an alien invasion.

Doubly so if they go back to base to pick up Tsukasa. Which they kinda maybe should.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If we have nitric acid and sulfuric acid, couldn't we just make TNT or dynamite and wrap this arc up with a bang? I'm kinda unenthused at the idea of building a drone.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Billzasilver posted:

They’d need the arrow guy to aim the TNT properly.

If you feel the need to aim, you're not using enough TNT.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

StarMinstrel posted:

I'm guessing the manga thread for this is the only thread right? Anime watcher here. Love this so far. I feel like there is going to be a lot of "Fish out of water" situations which is a big favorite of mine. Latest episode montage with Chrome going increasingly :aaa: was great. It feels like I'm watching "Civilization: the Anime"

My man, you’re in for a fun ride.

New chapter ought to drop soon, too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Senkuu is already married...to science.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Forget science, let’s solve this with violence.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I predicted this from the moment Kohaku was found out. It gives them an excuse to let Hyouga out of his doghouse and back into the story. Spearman vs. Spearman.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kohaku needs a new shield after giving up her old one to become a gear.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This is why they should have pee’d-and-pooped their way to some gunpowder, dammit.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I like that Senku doesn’t really have much insight into weapons’ technology. A shotgun would have been easier to make and way more practical, but he went for the over-complicated revolver because it was cooler and involved more SCIENCE.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rannum posted:

I liked that no one was especially happy about senku making a gun. I mean they're a bunch of teenagers, you'd expect as much, but it was still nice to see. Senku's comment on how they made it 3 years without making one was also a nice bit of melancholy

Somewhat undercut by the immediate “Guns are non-lethal if we petrify them afterwards!” :black101:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Darth TNT posted:

The Drone will save the day.

With a hellfire missile :getin:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Kinda? We know she’s loyal to the actual village Chief and not Old Man McTraitor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Animated summary:

:master: :bandwagon: :killing: :blastu:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Senku "Gonna count the seconds for two months just in case a perfect internal chronometer will help advance my scientific career" Ishigami.

A lot of what Senku does is just applied knowledge and basic problem solving, so it's cool to see actual Big Brain poo poo from him. Like in the latest chapter where he calculated, not predicted, the endpoint of Kirisame's throw in based on launch angle and velocity and concluded that she was including her allies in the blast radius. Ryusui intuited it, but Senku knew it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

amigolupus posted:

I'll be following the spin-off. I guess my only reservation about this is that Byakuya's story was pretty much done in Dr. Stone so I don't know this spin-off can even add anything new to it.

Maybe it'll explain how entire villages full of people exist in the current series when supposedly only six people avoided getting stoned. The inbreeding would have been a bitch no matter how optimal they were about it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
There’s three thousand years of history between Byakuya and Senku. I’m sure the spinoff will find something to pass the time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

AtomikKrab posted:

Inbreeding is not uncommon amongst animal populations, it only really mattered in the context of nobility and royalty because you had generations screwing each other so the father of someones child might have also been their grandfather, and great grandfather etc.

In addition inbreeding only really matters if a society is advanced and robust enough that offspring with majority negative traits can be supported by the group and continue to pass on those negatives. In a primative setting where survival day to day is not assured for really anyone there is less of an issue of that.

I mentioned inbreeding but in practice, I think infant mortality, disease, and natural disasters would be a bigger problem. You just couldn't hope to stay above replacement level with a starting population of six, even assuming the inbreeding depression was relatively mild and all of them were cool with loving like rabbits. It's more likely there was a second group that avoided petrification. Maybe by being underwater?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
With the latest chapter, I'm now wondering whether the Byakuya spinoff is a prequel or a "what-if". They have a robot that is also a supercomputer to reduce the margin of error for landing the Soyuz down from 10km, which they didn't have in the original flashback chapters.

The robot is a real dumb deus ex machina btw.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

The prequel is making me very happy Boichi isn't writing the main series, at least

It does feel like he doesn’t quite get what makes Dr. Stone fun. If it was a Dr. Stone chapter, we would be starting the “build a computer to calculate atmospheric drag” arc instead of having a robot that can magically do it.

That bit with Byakuya admitting he just wants to see his son again was pretty good though, and makes me think his strengths just lie elsewhere.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why did they leave the robot supercomputer to die in space, exactly...?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Probably to setup the ISS beating the odds, crashing towards land, and the robot somehow surviving just enough for Senku and co to find and repair him much later.

The ISS is intentionally designed to burn up on re-entry so people don't have pieces falling on their head. That's how space stations get "retired".

I mean, even if he miraculously survives, the last page suggests that they themselves believed they left the robot there to die. Right after the big "we'll never abandon our friends!" speech. What the gently caress.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

amigolupus posted:

Something about the way the spin-off handles being a set-up to Dr. Stone bothers me. Byakuya derails the team's plan to land in their original landing point where they could get access to technology and supplies to figure out the petrification just so he can try and save Senku. I know Senku would be a huge help but its weird that the others didn't put up that much of a fight over it. No one really brings up that they all have family members they're worried about as well and that Byakuya's insistence that they need to get to Senku is rather selfish.

It was actually the Russian guy who pointed out that Baikonur is in the middle of an isolated hellscape. They could probably land safely, but then they'd have to march overland through the desert steppes to reach the base. Not good odds.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Blockhouse posted:

everything about the robot is so goddamn stupid and this is coming from someone who, by default, loves robots

Dr. Stone is a series about using Stone/Bronze Age tools and methods to accomplish modern scientific feats also whoops here's a robot supercomputer with a functioning AI built out of 2019-era cell phone parts

That's probably the meta-reason why they're ditching him. The writers just needed a deus ex machina to explain how they managed to land the Soyuz close enough to where they needed to go.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Maybe someone should who plays Kerbal Space Program can fill us in on how long this journey to the moon will take.

I’m also curious how hard a hydrogen engine is to whip up, since they just handwaved it instead of showing Rei building it like the regular series. I was expecting Rei to just drain the necessary fuel from orbital satellites a la World War Z.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mikl posted:

Hahaha the robot's not going to the Moon, the Moon is only 300 thousand kms away. 250 million km is either Mars or Venus.

Must be Mars then, unless it was a misprint. Venus has about the same gravity as Earth.

I dunno why you'd go to Mars for water though.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

There's ice on the moon too.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

RatHat posted:

Their jank rear end handgun still working after falling into water is the most unrealistic thing yet.

It's actually fairly plausible based on their original design. They sealed each barrel pretty tightly with wadding and a bullet, and they're using percussion caps. Also, the way a turret revolver works means that there's always one chamber pointed straight back towards the shooter, flush with the frame. If it was sealed tightly enough that water couldn't get in, you could definitely have at least one dry bullet remaining.

Besides being unwieldy to operate and reload, the biggest reason the turret revolver never caught on was that it had a tendency for all of the barrels to fire simultaneously. The biggest danger was always Yo blowing his own hand up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm not actually fine with Aquaman Taiju. Considering all what they had to go through with the scuba gear before that, it smacks of "poo poo, wrote myself into a corner, SUPERHUMAN STAMINA == SUPERHUMAN LUNG CAPACITY AND CRUSH RESISTANCE TIME" to me. I genuinely consider that more unrealistic that literally anything Tsukasa ever did.

It was consistent with how he's been portrayed at least. Taiju is a freak of nature on par with Tsukasa.

Dr. Stone kinda reminds me of Eyeshield 21, in that it manages to at least maintain a sense of realism even when the characters' abilities are way beyond what they should realistically be capable of. If it's written as "here's what physical freaks are capable of in this universe", and its consistent, I can suspend my disbelief.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm enjoying the main series as much as I'm not enjoying the prequel

I think its pretty obvious now that Rei is going to be the WHY-man. The reason the WHY's stopped was the orbit of the ISS taking him out of range. The WHY was probably "We Hear You" after all.

Also why the gently caress are we still following this goddamn robot. Why didn't they take him back to earth. He runs off solar power, they had literally zero excuse. He could probably have helped them build a sicknasty boat to reach the mainland with. God this spinoff sucks.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 1, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

Destoning the planet would not be great for anyone whose statues were broken or underwater or buried

Also all the people who would wake up Naked & Afraid-style in extreme climates with no food, water or shelter.

Sounds like Hyouga’s wet dream actually

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Spinoff actively working to make the main manga worse now, very impressive stuff by Boichi.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They ruined the mystery of the WhyGuy.

Like drat, what a waste of a good plot hook.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Here’s the spinoff in a sentence: Since the Petrification, Byakuya’s homemade AI made out of duct-taped cell phone circuit boards has been monitoring earth communications aboard the ISS and intentionally orbiting over Tokyo to try and make contact with survivors.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
They called it the Cave of Miracles because it was naturally producing Nitric Acid.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Rei is almost certainly the why-man if only because who else is realistically willing and able to intercept short-range radio signals in the Tokyo area? The reason the signal cut out is presumably that the ISS went out of range.

The only good part of the last spinoff chapter was Chrome figuring out the pattern of the "bright star", even if he couldn't read the message. Smart kid.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
We know it can't be a satellite-based weapon because all of the satellites around Earth were recycled into a sexy robot years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really don't think wearing armor would protect you much from being hit by a car, but sure, lets roll with it. I like that he's a quick thinker.

Still though, imagine how quickly this arc would have ended if we'd spent all that time building guns instead of a remote-controlled drone.