Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I found myself really enjoying Wolf 359 and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for things close to that level of quality? The OP helped a little but I'm not sure how up to date it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Awesome, thanks. I'll give Girl In Space a shot. I don't mind Wolf's humor to be honest but I admit the plot is what took it from good to "welp, I'm marathoning this"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Why haven't you guys said anything about the Wolf359 crew dropping a new anthology series? It's 7 episodes and all posted.im starting it now so I have no impressions to give

What's it called?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ratatozsk posted:

Is this confirmed s/p COVID? I could see this delaying the production schedule.

They probably already have significant amounts of it recorded. Part of why they wanted the break was so they could avoid a time crunch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am really enjoying Victoriocity which has a charmingly Douglas Adams feel to it. (Honestly if anyone has any recommendations for similar serial podcasts I'd enjoy hearing them.)'

Edit: It isn't 'finished' but the seasons are self-contained..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One Swell Foop posted:

There’s the radio show ‘bleak expectations’ which is a dickens pastiche with a LOT of daft wordplay jokes but they’re carried well by a stellar cast including Anthony Stewart Head and Geoffrey Whitehead, as well as a young Tom Allen (who does well in the role despite his more recent stand up/TV presenter persona). Not everyone’s cup of tea but some of the lines are incredible and ASH constantly cheering scenery is good value regardless

Man I adore Anthony Stewart Head so this sold me super hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wanted to like Ars but to be honest I ran into the problem that the cast sounded too samey to me. I actually had a hard time telling people apart or keeping track of them because the dialogue all sounded a bit too much the same and a lot of the voices (especially for some of the male characters) just blended together too much. It was okay in smaller scenes but once I was listening to a scene and realized I could only keep track of the protagonist I just kinda shrugged and stopped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

I just recently went through all their stuff and the Nightvale in Space that Wolf 359 started as is definitely the weakest part. Once they found their footing and really started doing their own thing it got significantly better

I just can't get into Nightvale. I tried the first episode and it just didn't grab me because it felt like "oh just radio" instead of anything with character. Does that change? In comparison Wolf grabbed me from the start because as goofy as it was it had character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azathoth posted:

The overall format of Night Vale stays pretty similar, it's worth pointing out. They eventually start telling longer stories and then start playing with their format in interesting ways, but yeah, definitely pick something more recent. The creators make some recommendations here:

http://www.welcometonightvale.com/listen

If you still want to stay early, "13 - A Story About You" is one of my favorites, or you could try "79 - Lost in the Mail" by SA's very own Zack Parsons. If you don't care for either of those, or really anything on that list of theirs, it's probably just not the show for you.

Thanks! So it isn't Magnus Archives/Wolf style or whatnot where I'll be lost in a metaplot?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say how glad I am to hear it ended strong. Last year made me kinda fall off it because 2020 was hellish enough for my tastes but I'm starting over now and knowing it ends appropriately makes me very happy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

First two episode of the Magnus Protocol (the sequel/follow up to the Magnus Archives) are out.

How do you do a sequel to that considering how it ended?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think for anything with Acast I just set my podcaster to skip the first and last 3 minutes of each episode and it becomes shockingly tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AstroZamboni posted:

Listening to a lot of old TMA and does that Glasgow Willy Wonka thing feel like the shenanigans of The Stranger to anybody else?

It's the Unknown.