Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Homecoming is a psychological thriller from Gimlet Media staring Catherine Keener, Oscar Isaac, and David Schwimmer. It follows the actions of Heidi Bergman (Keener), documenting her past as a case worker helping veterans with PTSD at an experimental facility. Season 2 is about to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

Also, Small Town Horror has been posting miniepisodes with tittles like "Do You Care?" and I'm like, buddy...

Ha, I forgot that that podcast even existed.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 20, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My commute went from an hour's drive to a 4 minute walk so I guess I'm not listening to podcasts anymore. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Use the new found time as gym podcast time my man

Yeah, maybe I'll start going for runs or something.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Season 2 of Homecoming is, after Magnus Archives, the best executed second season in any story podcast I've listened to.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Slamhound posted:

Becky remains the best character. "Please hum 3 ascending notes."

I got a good guffaw out of Colin talking about misandry. It fits his character / the characters that David Schwimmer plays so well.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So just to clarify re that last episode of Magnus: John interviews Jurgen in his office / the statement room; Elias somehow makes his way in there while Johnathan is out, beats Jurgen to death; Johnathan isn't seen for a few days and Martin and the other dude find the corpse in his office?. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time following this.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcsech posted:

This is close to correct, but I'm not sure it's "John isn't seen for a few days" as much as "some unknown amount of time passes after John finds Jurgen, Tim and Martin think it's days but they've also been trapped by a supernatural entity known as "the distortion"/"the liar" so who knows.

Got it, thanks. I feel like this show demands a greater degree of concentration and attention than I give podcasts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey everyone

I'm here to tell you that night Vale was always bad

Welp cya

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

I just got done bringing through all of Crimetown and while I loved the podcast, it had maybe the most miserable advertisements. Particularly because they reused the same recordings for the same products for every episode (and for a podcast where most episodes were ~30 minutes, I think six minutes or so were ads). The one advertising the group discussion of podcast hosts from that network as the narrator breathlessly describes it as an "extraordinary conversation" particularly grated.

Crimetown got extremely boring extremely quickly; and the two narrators were trying way too hard to be gritty.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
My commute has gone from an hour's drive each way to a 4 minute walk and I've completely abandoned listening to all podcasts except Magnus.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't mind the themes being explored in season 2 of Archive 81 -- it's just that I was listening to it because I was enjoying the themes explored in season 1. Once they made the shift, I lost interest.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad I stopped listening to that awful show.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've given up on all serialized podcasts except for Magnus.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really appreciated episode 93 of Magnus. It was a great summary of the major plot so far.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm kind of hoping they use their hiatus to go back to more independent horror stories. I appreciate what they are trying to do with the interconnectedness, but as a casual listener that doesn't focus in on details all that much I feel like some of the stuff they're talking about is lost on me.

I'd go back to listening to Pseudopod, but the quality of the stories / audio is too inconsistent.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Can someone please explain Magnus 100 to me because I have no idea what that was about. What am I missing?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the clarification!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there a good plot synopsis for the first two seasons of Alice Isn't Dead out there somewhere? I just started season 3 and have almost no memory of what happened besides the bare essentials of the story.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Season 1: Alice encounters and then is hunted by the Thistle man. Man-eating, ghoulish creatures. Her journey eventually takes her to an abandoned factory formerly ran by a company named Praxis where she witnesses a man holding his own burial at sea. She then encounters a whole town of Thistle men which causes her to give up and go home, only for them to hunt her down. She tries to go out in a blaze of glory by ramming her truck through their town, only for Alice to show up and to learn that her company Bay & Creek is actually a cover for a resistance vs the creatures. Keisha and Alice separate out of necessity.[/url]

Season 2: A lot less happens in regards to the overall plot. Most of the season is a cat and mouse game between Keisha and her new stalker, a woman dressed like a cop who is most definitely not a cop. The big revelations come in the finale when it's revealed that both the Thistle men and Bay & Creek work for the US Government. The entire war is a dog and pony show put up so the government can appear to be doing something about the monsters in their midst. In the finale, the woman catches Keisha and Alice rescues her.

Thanks, this was useful!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Seeing the way in which Jonathan uses his "superpower" to force the truth from people to get the papers from that traffic warden in the latest episode of Magnus was great.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's almost as if PNW are bad at podcasts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whoever recommended I am in Eskew, thank you. I listened to the first episode last night and it's just so perfectly weird and unsettling.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Magnus is a great podcast and the metaplot is interesting but I definitely prefer the episodes that address a standalone story. I think that's mainly because I feel like I don't get the most out of metaplot episodes because I'm not obsessing over every minute detail of the show and trying to piece of together.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to Eskew while I take really long trips through very vast and empty regions of the galaxy in Elite: Dangerous and it's oddly a very very good mix of two very different things. I should catch up on the latest episode.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eskew - holy poo poo, poor loving Kenneth. that was easily the best episode so far

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

boo_radley posted:

I am in Eskew did something particularly unusual. Did you notice it? It is of the podcast but not solely within the podcast feed. You noticed it, but you don't remember noticing it.

what

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whoa, thanks y'all. Is Respite the new one?

e: wait yep it is.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 11, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Look at you all with your deep analysis of Magnus while I'm here thinking "I thought her name was Melanie."

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Aw gently caress yeah, friend.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In what ways did Archive 81 improve? I only made it through the first few episodes of season 2. The weird surgeon guy was obnoxious.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does this mean I can skip season 2 of Archive 81 and go right to 3? I have a 4 hour train ride this afternoon and this would work really well.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I did my best to enjoy S3 of Archive 81 but it was a bit too much zany kooky random weirdness for me. The Popeye's bit just pushed it a little too far.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I try to limit my exposure to Night Vale Presents podcasts because Joseph Fink's voice and diction make me want to blow out my eardrums.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Perhaps I'm being dense (to be fair I usually am when it comes to serialized fiction podcasts because by the time one episode comes out I've forgotten most of what happened in the previous one) but I felt like the most recent episode of Limetown did a fairly decent job of tying up loose ends? The only real questions that remain for me are who set the boat on fire? What am I missing?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

vortmax posted:

I can only think of two questions left unanswered at this point:

1) How did Emile get Charlie and her tapes?
2) Where is Lia Haddock?

I think so too.

SalTheBard posted:

I thought it was Daniel because he was enraged about Emile causing the death of the children

Oh, you're right. So does that mean that the kids imagined a fire and drowned, so then Daniel got angry and set an actual fire going? I guess I kind of zoned out towards the end.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the Limetown season finale. I felt that having Charlie narrate her surroundings was consistent with the theme throughout the season of Emile having Charlie talk through things as a way to break down her mental barriers. I also felt that the Foley sounds that we heard when Emile is throwing the film reel on gave us a hint that Charlie had managed to escape from her restraints... which is also consistent with what she said about her skills as a soldier..

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've already completely forgotten everything about what happened in the season finale. I think my brain is not properly wired to listen to these podcasts.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I couldn't make it through Season 3 of Archive 81 without getting bored. The premise was cool but I found the execution to be boring and just "random". It felt like an edgy Welcome to Nightvale.

It's pretty clear from everyone else that I am the odd one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That ad for Stellar Firma that plays at the start of the latest Magnus made me briefly think about never listening to a podcast again.