Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SAYER - similar to Wolf 359, SAYER starts off as mostly dark comedy (think very Portal) as it tells the stories that occur onboard the far future research station Typhon, ran by the amoral AI SAYER and his bosses at Aerolith Dynamics but it evolves into a pretty drat good story even if it only has a handful of important characters. Season 3 ended with what was very much a finale, but the creator got into a kick and wanted to revisit the setting, funding his effort through a very successful Kickstarter and, I have to say, he found a very clever way around how the podcast originally ended.

Our Fair City - Styled after an old timey radio drama, Our Fair City tells tales of an underground post apocalyptic civilisation in an often humorous, whimsical way. Each episode manages to set its own tone, but the whole thing still manages to be cohesive. It has an almost older French comic feel at times, with a big emphasis on worldbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

I just got to the part of Wolf 359 where they decided to tell a story instead of being goofy space time and this poo poo is tasty

Yeah. The goofier early episodes work, but they really do a drat good job with the story once it starts as well. The humor early on really makes you like the characters before things start getting interesting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

immolationsex posted:

When would you say that part begins? I listened to ep 20? 30? or so some time ago, and the wackiness never seemed to stop

Most episodes still have some comedy but the plot gets started in the mid 20s and big events happen in the 30s.if you already listened up to twenty may as well keep going.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah like Adam Bash (the guy behind SAYER) did the Kickstarter for season four specifically because working on it would mean taking a leave from his normal job.

Wolf 359's patreon on the other hand is to pay the actors iirc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Wolf 359 has come to an end. The ending was pretty much perfect, as far as I’m concerned. Can’t wait to see what those guys come up with next.

Agreed with all this.

That was an amazing end. One of those endings where you just don't feel like it should continue.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Montalvo posted:

Is there a good plot synopsis for the first two seasons of Alice Isn't Dead out there somewhere? I just started season 3 and have almost no memory of what happened besides the bare essentials of the story.

Season 1: Alice encounters and then is hunted by the Thistle man. Man-eating, ghoulish creatures. Her journey eventually takes her to an abandoned factory formerly ran by a company named Praxis where she witnesses a man holding his own burial at sea. She then encounters a whole town of Thistle men which causes her to give up and go home, only for them to hunt her down. She tries to go out in a blaze of glory by ramming her truck through their town, only for Alice to show up and to learn that her company Bay & Creek is actually a cover for a resistance vs the creatures. Keisha and Alice separate out of necessity.[/url]

Season 2: A lot less happens in regards to the overall plot. Most of the season is a cat and mouse game between Keisha and her new stalker, a woman dressed like a cop who is most definitely not a cop. The big revelations come in the finale when it's revealed that both the Thistle men and Bay & Creek work for the US Government. The entire war is a dog and pony show put up so the government can appear to be doing something about the monsters in their midst. In the finale, the woman catches Keisha and Alice rescues her.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
97: It's an agent of The Stranger. Like Sarah Baldwin. They need human parts, especially skin, to blend in. She's the daughter of the guy who had the travelling circus (who she murdered,) or at least something that took her identity.

As for 101, listen to 47 (The New Door) again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

Hey, that’s mine!

I definitely don’t think it measures up to Magnus (for one thing, it’s mostly just me writing, narrating and editing on the weekends, which creates a lot of amateur-hour limitations and learning-as-I-go) but it’s really cheering to hear some people are enjoying it, so thanks for sharing!

And yeah, Episode 1 isn’t a great start - it’s overlong and the actual horror is conceptually clunky. I think 3 & 4 are pretty good and representative of what I’m going for, though.

You've done a great job so far.

Honestly I really like your method of connecting stories over the giant web that is Magnus now. Each of your episodes is mostly standalone but the connecting threads make some sense. As much as Lovecraftian fiction can at least.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

10thAvenue posted:

It took me a couple tries to get adjusted to the complete change in format between season 1 and season 2, but after which I ended up liking season 2 better by quite a bit. The piece inbetween season 2 and 3 was also quite good. I’m still getting used to season 3 since it’s only a few episodes in, but I agree it’s evident that they are gaining experience and finding more and interesting ways to tell their story. I was also rather amazed to like the 2 songs they played in season 2 since I hate musicals and most music that I hear in podcasts in general, but the songs sounded great and worked really well in the story.

Yeah I've started listening to it as well and the change from 1 to 2 is really jarring but once it settles after a few episodes it works very well. It helps that the season 2 cast is really strong.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do people recommend sticking with Archive 81 then? I started it recently and the first bit of season 2 was so massively different and seemingly stupider that I just stopped.

Give it a chance. It does develop into a pretty good plot.

All 3 seasons so far of Archive have been very different stories set in the same universe.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just looks like an audacity fuckup, nothing there.

I've had a few podcasts doing it recently. Maybe it's a network issue.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Farg posted:

the literal loving robot man in archive 81 delivers better line reads

I find their voice a bit hard to understand sometimes, but I get what they're going for with it.

The robot guy in Girl in Space is pretty well done too. Actually that one's got a pretty solid cast except maybe for the current main villain as he's kind of intentionally dry.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I thought Wolf 359 really hit it out of the park, though it would've been nice to have more of a hint of what happens next.

I haven't listened to Ars Paradoxica yet.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If you want something with very similar vibes to Wolf, Girl in Space is really good though much quicker paced.

If you're looking for something different in style but extremely well produced Magnus Archives, I am in Eskew and Ars Paradoxical are in my top 20 for sure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think the idea is Eskew only allows those it wants to enter. It doesn't necessarily have to have a portal or dimensional stuff involved. It simply is only found when it wants to be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Check the listing in your podcast player. Something should look off.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

I've listened to none of them. Is it something to do with episode descriptions?

I hate when goons play this game of "I know something you don't know"
:goonsay:

This gives it away: one of those "July" episodes didn't exist until today.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Eskew definitely builds to some story but it takes a little to get there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Considering the number of folks involved it could take quite a while to put a season together.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone else try the new podcast from Night Vale Presents, Adventures in New America?

I have to say I like the writing on it but a lot of the acting is so bad that it takes me out of the story entirely.

EDIT: \/ yes my hope is that they settle into their roles as it goes. Simon in particular comes across as grating because the VA is heavily emphasizing her accent to the point it sounds artificial.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Did The Magnus Archives do something with The Bone Turner's Tale? It's showed back up as unlistened to in my podcatcher, and I can't seem to download it.

It's not working here either. Seems like the episode might have been deleted for some reason?

EDIT: it's been mentioned on reddit. They think the file got corrupted at their host.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EOS 10 really took a turn I didn't expect. Make sure to listen it to the end.

The time travel plot, not the Uridian thing that's been hanging over the show since it was revealed about his mom cheating.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 16, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

Just in general with fiction podcasts I'm always disappointed when an anthology series decides to do a grand metaplot. Not that storylines can't happen, obviously, but this idea that somehow it's 'better' if you can tie everything together with one unified thread is toxic as hell in writing and I have no idea where it came from.

Nightvale thankfully has moved away from season arcs. The last couple years have been stand alones and 2-3 episode arcs only. The format definitely works better.

As far as metaplots go, I think the only one that really pulled it off is Magnus and it was obviously planned to be there from the beginning.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

EOS-10: I missed you, please do a season 4. You're too short for this world.

Season 4 is confirmed for January, but it will start Stitcher Premium exclusive.

I love Girl in Space as well but it's a long stretch between episodes and she loves cliffhangers.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I love how much that episode re-contextualized Daniel. He seemed almost like he was just a hitman for the company that had gone beyond their control, but the truth was a lot sadder and made him very sympathetic.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Limetown has definitely gone full LOST as of the last episode.

The season itself had a good arc with the whole Bridge thing, but I'm not sure how much of a full series plotline they have planned out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

vortmax posted:

How about that new episode of Eskew? I can't decide if The Witness is supposed to be (a version of?) David or not.
Also I was listening to them again recently, and I swear episode nine used to be different. But I can't remember what it was. Maybe that's just me.

It was. They released an episode in the middle of the pack and renumbered the rest at the same time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
One just came out shortly before Christmas

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

vortmax posted:

But speaking of Night Vale Presents shows, what do we think of Adventures in New America? I really like it so far but I'm reserving final judgement until I see where it goes.

Like a few others have noted it takes a bit to grow on you due to the style. Simon really annoyed me at first (I mean she's intentionally grating early on) but I started liking her once she had a larger cast to play off of.

IA's plight to get arrested hasn't stopped being amusing either.

I still need to catch up on it though. Haven't had time for podcasts for a bit.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Anyone still doing SAYER? Season 5 wasn't all that good I thought. Wonder what he's going to do next.

Season 5 was okay for what it was as a prequel, but I think he wrote himself into a corner with S4's ending.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm willing to give it maybe an episode but that ad was just one of the least appealing things I've heard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EOS 10 benefits from having charming acting though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

I think the whole thing is improv. At least I heard it referred a such multiple times.

Explains a lot if true. The only improv comedy podcast I've found that's good is Zyxx and even then each episode is stitched together from a much longer session with multiple takes.

Improv is very hard.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Hmm is Zyxx that good? I love eos and mars Corp but bounced on Zyxx in the first episode as just being try hard. Kinda like I wish I did for magic tavern.

It takes a few episodes for the VAs to settle into their roles and work the links out.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Giant Ethicist posted:

So can anybody spoiler the content warning on the latest I Am In Eskew? Considering some of the stuff that's come before without one, it makes me... nervous.

He tells you right at the start before the episode

It involves school bullying. It's something personal to the creator that he admits won't cause issues for everyone.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the metaplot is definitely quite mapped out.

I do agree with Jurgen that the statements probably aren't to the same extent.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yeah this. I am in Eskew is brilliant.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So against my better judgement I listened to an episode of Stellar Firma and...it's a LOT better than the horrible ads attached to Magnus made it sound.

That is one of the least representative ads I've ever heard for a podcast. The actual podcast is basically business meetings where they come up with bullshit to try and impress the boss and it just somehow works.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

I just binged the whole show last week in a single day and have no idea what anyone is talking about.

It only made sense at release

The hospital episode was released out of order, after several episodes set after it occurred. It was inserted into the listing and the episodes after renumbered suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

So I love Magnus and White Vault, didn't care for Eskew, what else is creepy and good?

Archive 81 is pretty good, but be warned every season has a very different feel to it.