Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Magnus Archives is probably the one I look forward to most right now. It's a horror anthology series set in a stuffy British occult institution. At the top of the series the archivist has just taken over after the last one disappeared and he's trying to to get things in order. Each episode has a small segment at the beginning and end relating to the current goings on in the archives while the meat of each episode is a statement from someone who has encountered the paranormal. It's plotted to last five seasons and the non-statement parts do have a purpose and lead up to an ending that answers a lot of questions while also raising a few more. There's a Patreon that promises exclusive content expanding the world but so far most of it is stuff from their sister program Rusty Quill Gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Chairman Capone posted:

The Message takes the form of a cryptography podcast whose host gets involved with a cryptography consulting firm hired to decode an alien message received by a US military radio station at the end of World War II in 1945. However, as the message begins to be decoded, the effects of listening to it causes mental harm to certain people who hear it - which becomes a bigger problem as the message is broadcast around the world, leading to people beginning to succumb to its effects worldwide.

Life/After is about an FBI agent whose wife died, and he obsessively listens to recordings of her. One day, the recordings start talking back to him, and reveal that she is a detailed recreation of his dead wife made by a cult-like group, compiled from her social media, email accounts, and the like (think of the Black Mirror episode Be Right Back, but just as an AI, not a physical body). However, the cult begins to restrict his access to her until he agrees to start spying on the FBI's investigation of them from the inside, just as the FBI starts pressuring him to infiltrate the group. It was advertises as being similar to a cross between the movies Her and Ex Machina.

The thing I liked about these was they went into them with the theory of the "villain" had to be audio because too many podcasts rely on describing something evil and unnatural but the podcast format lets them focus on using sound itself as the bad guy. I thought that was a neat take

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They could go either way but I'm down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inkspot posted:

We've already gotten more of a climactic fight scene from The Bright Sessions than the last show about ordinary people with extraordinary abilities, so fingers crossed.

We got a linebacker beating up a goth kid (I picture Damien as a scrawny goth kid). What tv show have you been watching with superpowers where a nerd being beatup out actions it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Does anyone know anything about "Darker Projects"? They're a weird group that seemed to have been really really active before Serialized Podcasts hit it off, (Most their stuff seems to be 2007 to 2009.) But they have this annoying rear end habit of releasing 2-3 episodes of something, on the same day if the RSS feed is to be believed and then dropping it.

I only heard of them from people talking about The Byron Chronicles which was ok in the first few seasons but went to poo poo after that and apparently they're still making new ones.

But for some of these older ones like 'Generation One' were there really just 2 episodes produced, released on the same day, then given up on? WTF? Or Far Horizon, 6 episodes and it just peters out...

I only listened to Byron Chronicles which was like you said pretty okay and then hit this horrible rear end thing where there was like one episode a year and I lost interest. But that does seem to be the case for them.

Has anyone listened to The Leviathan Chronicles? Sci-fi story about a race of immortal people. Season 1 wasn't bad but then there was a huge delay for season 2 part 1 and I think we're still waiting on part 2.

Edit: Oh, Leviathan is on hold because his wife got cancer and then passed away :(

Len fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 9, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kraps posted:

If I'm understanding the final reveal of LifeAfter correctly, Sasha and co played a very long game of faking Charlie's death to get Ross into the program because he was involved in the FBI investigation into LifeAfter?

That was my take on it. Charlie was the worst and I hope he didn't forgive her for that poo poo. Uncool bro.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

I know this isn't the "proper" thread for it since technically its a non-fiction podcast, but in the lead up to a recent episode of "Tanis" Nic mentioned another podcast called "Astonishing Legends" that I started listening to and REALLY enjoy! They basically outline and analyze real world myths and legends, like Springheel Jack and the Oak Island Money Pit, or all the mysteries behind the Amelia Earhart disappearance and go through all the possibilities to find any kernels of truth in the myths. I've been bingeing on them lately and really enjoy their style.

Is it better than Lore? That one started out okay but it mostly just sounds like he reads from creepy Wikipedia pages so I dropped it

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah he shared some pictures of his old recording studio and it was a blanket fort.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Someone explain to me why Lore is getting a tv show. It's literally just a dude reading wikipedia pages at me.

Edit: I only ask here because The Black Tapes was called Lore-like which got me to check it out way back when

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Tweak posted:

If Lore becomes a TV show I hope they get a host who has a normal talking cadence

also god drat Magnus Archives once again, next season cant come soon enough! the books have always been my favorite stories so I'm sad about Mr Leitner, also jesus loving christ Elias :stare:

Not if. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6130902/

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Will you guys let me know if there's any Magnus content on the Patreon other than scripts? I'm going to drop my pledge for a bit mostly because I don't care about the RQG stuff but partly because I'm a broke rear end bitch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TenCentFang posted:

Mmhm. I wasn't intending to come across as like, rabid about it, but since I was pressed for elaboration I went into it. You summed it up way better and in less words, though, drat. I'll keep watching Magnus Archives for awhile to see if it grows on me any better.

I think it's alright to find some people's voices inherently grating for non-bigoted reasons, but it's really as much how the character is written and acted as the voice itself, if not more so, because it's not nearly as irritating when he's not playing Carlos. The narrator of Passage also made me wanna put a pencil through my ear at first but she, at least, gets better eventually.

He could have the deepest most stereotyped macho voice ever and I still would find the character of Carlos grating. The best episodes were the early ones where it was just weird stuff happening in the town.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone noticed how anytime someone brings up "I liked Nightvale before it became a romcom" it always ends up an argument? Typically someone gets called homophobic and then we all just drop it and move on until the next time it comes up.

You can dislike the fact it's a romcom without it being homophobic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

We get, it's not okay to dislike Nightvale because of the tonal shift as the series went. I'm sorry that my opinion was objectively wrong I'll start liking it again immediately.

If Magnus Archives becomes a romcom you bet your rear end I'll jump off then too. I'm there for creepy stories when they stop giving me creepy stories I'll check out. I'm actually really curious about the next season because it sounds like there's going to be a status quo change. But we're almost halfway done with the series so it'll be neat to see how things start to ramp up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Turtlicious posted:

Magnus Archives is becoming a rom-com though.

How so? The lady cop who was feeding him tapes while he was a murder suspect?

Or Tim sleeping with a man and woman on opposite shifts in the same department at the police station?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

, and it's also insulting to current fans by implying they only care about 'shipping and fanservice rather than good stories.

The only people outside of SA I've ever met who know of Nightvale are this exactly. Granted it's not a large pool but my anecdotal evidence tells me that's exactly what the fans want.

Also you should probably step back and read your posts because you're coming off as incredibly hostile and from my time reading the old Nightvale thread I'm fairly certain Maxnmona would just go "okay and you don't like thing that's fine" and keep on trucking. So maybe don't take things so personally?

I stayed on until the episode where Carlos gave a fond farewell to the desert other world so he could go on an epic journey to return home to Nightvale and that was when I decided it definitely wasn't a thing for me anymore and stopped listening.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

I don't know how many different ways I can say the exact same thing before it sinks in. I don't care if people dislike a podcast.. I care if they express that dislike in a way that is rude and condescending to people who do like it.

Edit: I just noticed that's the third post in a row where you misinterpret what I'm saying. Am I being trolled?

Dude step back and calm down. That quote you posted literally is them saying "That's nice you don't like thing." You really are coming off as overly hostile about a podcast like you have some personal stake in it. Also point out at what point I said people who like Nightvale are shallow because at no point did I say that yet you keep accusing other people of reading your posts wrong.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

READING WORDS I DIDN'T SAY

Yeah at no point in there does it say shallow though?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Not disturbing supernatural :iiam: it's definitely not a high point of the writing so far but it might pan out for a good thing at the end?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You said you hadn't caught up yet right? At the end of s2 you find out that the books are indeed some Lovecraftian things from beyond that just kind of are and we're not created. Leightner (spelling) only found and collected them to try and keep the world safe.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has The Bunker been brought up yet? It's 12 episodes long set in a post apocalyptic Earth. The premise is that there's three survivors from before the big headache who are putting on a radioshow for the wasteland. There's plenty of dark humor but I enjoyed it. They put out another podcast called MarsCorp but I haven't started it yet, I just finished The Bunker last night.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The No Sleep host has the absolute worst voice

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't know why I still listen to episodes of it because most aren't good or even scary. But for some reason the host pops up in other podcasts from time to time and he's just so awful I don't know why anyone would want him on board

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

Leviathan Chronicles dropped like 10 hours of content today. If you unsubscribed you may want to take a look. They're claiming to be getting ready for a relaunch and it'll go behind a paywall when they do.

Where do you see the paywall thing?

Edit: Found it on their Facebook. I read it as these episodes will go back behind the wall but it didn't say the main series would be paywalled. Honestly though depending on how much it costs I'd buy the second half of the series as long as it ends it and doesn't have a to be continued.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone bothered to decipher the ars paradoxica number station messages? I'm going back through since I forgot what was going on and there's an episode that says they're a code giving more plot but I am bad at ARG things so gently caress doing it myself

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

Listened to the first three episodes and I'm liking it.

However... Is that the No Sleep guy doing the voice for the grizzled guide character?

Probably. I heard about The White Vault on No Sleep and he has a distinct awful voice

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone else think Bright Sessions has kind of gone downhill since the jailbreak episodes?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It's not bad just feels like it's floundering I guess. There's not as many slice of life episodes and a lot more about a plot that doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. I'm going to keep listening but I hope something happens soon

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They're writing three books for the Bright Sessions one about cute couple Caleb/Adam, one for horrible Bad Guy Damien, and one about worst character Rose.

Edit: Oh it's about Damien when he's 18. So when he's got even more angst but hasn't almost murdered anyone yet.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 2, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah this season is definitely weak. I'm hoping it's just finding it's footing as something different because I dunno if I'll care enough to finish it at this rate.

Just add it to the other list of podcasts I've dropped because they felt floundery like Ars Paradoxica, Night Vale, everything by Pacific Northwest Stories. Thinking about putting Bright Sessions on that list because they really seem to be trying to humanize noted Awful Person Damien and push that Rose girl who fills no niche the other characters don't already fill except for she doesn't know Damien is The Worst.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've never paid attention but has Magnus had content warnings before?

Episode 82 didn't and it was entirely about police brutality

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

So Ars Paradoxia ending ; Bright Sessions ending ; no idea what King Falls was about if it’s ending or just having a thrilling thing... Why can’t Tania end and keep those are decent ones...

Bright Sessions is ending? They giving up the podcast to write books about how Damien isn't a terrible guy and their tv show?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

I don’t know why you’re so offended that they’re characterizing the bad guy. It’s not like he’s joined the group; Mark literally told him “sorry you had a bad time, but you’re still a terrible person and you need to get out of my life.”

Anyway, the main story is ending this year, but they’re planning to have some spin-offs, I think- at least one starring Caleb a few years down the road.

Because the book is set when he's in his late teens which I'm going to assume is to appeal to the "oh poor misunderstood Damien" fanbase. I could be wrong but from what poking around I've done there's a pretty vocal group that feels he isn't a Bad Guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Oh, I know there are the fan girls who love Damien and thinks he’s just a misunderstood woobie (and pretty much everyone says his voice is sexy), but I doubt Lauren Shippen is pandering to them. In fact, I’m pretty sure she’s straight up said “you should not idolize Damien.”

Edit: Maybe this quote will ease your fears:

Okay that does make me feel better about it.

I bet the Caleb one will be good because those two dorks are my favorite characters in the show.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here! I kinda dig the amateur-hour style. It really feels like just sitting around telling ghost stories, which is nice given how most horror podcasts go these days. I've bought each season pass since 3 when it started and never regretted it. Yeah, David Cummings is no voice actor (emphasis on "actor") but he's fine for introing/narrating/being a goofy spooky grandpa.

I still listen to it for the same I still read NoSleep, sometimes there's really good stuff in it but other times it's just "and the Boogeyman was my uncle who touched me at night"

Edit: I'm debating going to their liveshow near me next Saturday but it's 40 minutes away and with the range in quality I dunno

Len fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 4, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hughlander posted:

I'd do it just to see wtf these people look like while 'acting' But I'm a sucker for most podcasts, and the Creepy/Small Town Horror guy will be there as well right? I binged through so much of his voice when he was doing the daily poo poo that I'd go 40 minutes in a heart beat.

It’s called “Escape the Black Farm” and understandably theres no word from them on what that means, but I found a book called The Black Farm which is a full novel based on a NoSleep story that was featured on the podcast and it sounds like it could be neat?

quote:

After the loss of a child along with a slew of agonizing misfortunes, Nick and Jess decide to end their lives. Unable to cope with the misery that fills their days, they commit one last act together and die in loving relief.

But when Nick wakes up, he soon realizes that death isn't the gentle darkness he expected. Panicked and horrified, he struggles to understand the twisted abominations and hellish world he's now trapped in.

Driven by desperation and a sudden will to survive, he sets out to find Jess and is unable to cope with the thought of her having to suffer through the terrors this new reality holds.

But nothing could prepare him for the nightmares he found...nothing could prepare him for The Black Farm.

So I went to the original story and started reading it and in true NoSleep style the first scary moment in the story:

quote:

The big man ignored me and instead grabbed the kid and shoved him hard against the wall. The boy grunted as his back struck the concrete and his eyes rose to meet the grizzled man's.

Wordlessly, the man raised his shotgun, placed it against the boy's forehead, and blew his head off. Chunks of gore splattered the wall as shock slugged me in the stomach like an iron fist. My ears rang and time seemed to slow as I watched in horror as the headless body crumpled to the ground.

NoSleep where the horror is child murder

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ornamented Death posted:

To be clear, it isn't really the podcast or stories that get hate in this thread, it's Cummings no-talent rear end showing up in otherwise decent productions.

He works good in a Crypt Keeper role but the stories he himself reads I just fast forward through. Because nope.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The woman who wrote Borrasca put out a final chapter that's a sequel/epilogue and it doubled down on the edgy rape. The narrators dad took over as the sheriff and he got super into the rape and sex slavery. He stopped providing kids to the townsfolk and putting money back into the town so it went from a nice upper class place to a ghetto.

Oh and he murdered his wife and married the narrators high school crush.

And named the daughter of his new wife after his first daughter, the one who got raped and murdered at the rape camp.

And he had a heroin dealer on retainer to keep the narrator always high so he couldn't do anything about it.

I really don't get why that story was so we'll received and seen as one of the greatest things in the subreddit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jurgan posted:

Honestly, that’s not too different from season three of Magnus Archives.

Yeah they're really doubling down on Everything Is Connected. Can't just have some stand alone creepy things. Even the anglerfish episode just looped back around to be relevant.

And yes I'm aware I complained about the bag of teeth episode not connecting with anything earlier in the thread. It's still the worst episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

The anglerfish already had a connection - the Sarah girl was mentioned as being one of the other people who went missing in that episode and she's the same one that came up in the abandoned hospital where what's-her-face ghost hunter chick is introduced.

Personally, I'm 100% on board and invested.

Oh poo poo I hadn't even caught that connection.

Uh...well poo poo now my complaint isn't valid for the reason stated. I guess the guy who said the curtain got pulled back too quickly has it right, it felt like it went "No John you are the demons" way too quick. Don't get me wrong I'm still going to keep going because I do want to see where it ends and there's still more good episodes than meh episodes. I'm hoping that the break coming up gives them time to regroup and tighten things back up to how they were.