Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Some speculation on why that is: I'm guessing we'll find out that all of the early statements are very, very relevant to the stuff that's happening now. The archives were "disorganized" so it makes sense they would start with organizing whatever is closest to hand - that is, what Gertrude would have had close to hand (but not revealing enough to take special care of) before she was killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Montalvo posted:

So just to clarify re that last episode of Magnus: John interviews Jurgen in his office / the statement room; Elias somehow makes his way in there while Johnathan is out, beats Jurgen to death; Johnathan isn't seen for a few days and Martin and the other dude find the corpse in his office?. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time following this.

This is close to correct, but I'm not sure it's "John isn't seen for a few days" as much as "some unknown amount of time passes after John finds Jurgen, Tim and Martin think it's days but they've also been trapped by a supernatural entity known as "the distortion"/"the liar" so who knows.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Did anyone turn off to Magnus Archives when they started having other members of the Institute have voices and weaving things into a meta-plot? I could easily see someone saying "I don't care about Jane Prentiss's worms or Leitner's library, I just want creepy one-shot stories.

The thing with Magnus is that most of the episodes still work as creepy one-shots. It adds something to pay attention to the meta-plot, and there's a few episodes where that's especially true (like the season finales), but it never suddenly jumps to being a feel-good comedy or a romance drama or whatever. Every episode has weird creepy supernatural poo poo happening as the main thrust of the episode, and the meta-plot is also weird creepy supernatural poo poo.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 14, 2017

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Incidentally, rereading the question that prompted this, I see how my words could be read as a sarcastic challenge. If so, that wasn't intentional. I was genuinely curious if there were "first season only" fans of MA. I apologize, though; I should have been more careful how I worded it.

Yeah, I thought it was a rhetorical question rather than a literal one - sorry for misinterpreting you!

Pretty sure there was somebody in the Magnus subreddit saying something along those lines, that they thought the second season wasn't as good because it focussed too much on the meta-plot. I've only seen it once though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

HIJK posted:

TMA's second season is definitely good. I would actually agree with the referenced Redditor who thinks it focuses too much on the meit taplot though. It shortened the creepy one shot stories and the quality suffered a little bit, especially how the main threat gets nerfed in the season 2 finale.

However, it's still excellent and I am sad I don't have a new episode to look forward to every Wednesday :(

I don't think not-Sasha was the main threat, just the most immediate one. We now have Elias/The Observer as a new major threat (I mean, he does appear to be framing John for murder), plus who knows what else once John leaves the relative protection of the Archive

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Jurgan posted:

'Kay, I forgot that line. It wasn't until the end of the first season, though, that they explicitly stated the reason was that talking about supernatural events somehow distorts digital records. It could have just been that his computer was messed up. And why does it not affect magnetic tape? They're going for a sort of Lovecraftian idea of things being so outside human experience that they damage your sanity, but I'm not sure why that should apply to a string of ones and zeros.

They have implied that it is not the digital nature of the recordings that distorts them in the episode the with the hacker that watches the video of the Russian guy eating a computer or whatever. She says that tapes are digital too (which is flat-out wrong in reality, but sure, whatever, maybe they're digital in the Magnus-verse), which I'm pretty sure was the author pointedly saying it's not the digital nature of a recording that causes it to degrade when it's a recording of a supernatural thing.

Given that cameras have been called "electronic eyes" when discussing a supernatural entity called "The Observer", I'm going to guess that computer-based recordings specifically are affected because they have enough of a "brain" behind them to be noticed by one of the supernatural things or something along those lines.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Magnus is already back for season 3 with completely original stories and I feel like they just ended season 2. PNWS takes 6+ months to come back and rehash the same old poo poo over and over again.

And they're pretty loving great episodes too. The first two episodes of S3 are both really creepy.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

Catching up on Magnus Archives. Now on episode 85.

Who is The Stranger again?

The Stranger is one of the Powers/Entities that appear to be behind most of the spooky happenings and were discussed explicitly in episode 80. It's the one behind the Not-Them (Not-Graham, Not-Sasha, etc), as well as probably the the circus, the taxidermy shop, and the medical students that were learning how to pretend to be human, and generally has to do with things that "aren't human, but pretending to be" or generally "aren't quite right". It is attempting to do something called The Unknowing, which sounds like a bad thing.

It seems to be strongly opposed to The Beholding, which is the Power behind the Archives.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 12, 2018

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tweak posted:

I'm all in with the direction they're going, but I will miss the loosely related one offs as the show heads toward whatever end they have planned.

Same.

I also think that maybe it's just that some episodes hit people differently - for example, I've seen folks talking about how much Lost John's Cave freaked them out and that episode did nothing for me, I thought it was kind of boring.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’m 34 episodes into the Magnus Archives and while I’m wary of the steadily growing metaplot, their hit-to-miss ratio is still really impressive given their output. Also I usually burn out on podcasts due to their length and sprawl, and certainly up to this point they’ve had many, many opportunities to become indulgent that they’ve passed up to keep things tight and disciplined (the studious commitment to Lovecraftian storytelling format helps).

It’s a marvel of project management if nothing else.

For what it’s worth, Johnny has posted that he has the plot arc for the current series planned out, enough to say that there will be five seasons total and then it will end. So you don’t have to worry about it becoming a Lost-style mess, at least.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

New Leaf posted:

I hope whenever Magnus ends that they don't vanish into the aether.. I want more content from these guys, whatever it is. Anyone listen to their gaming podcast? Is it any good?

Rusty Quill also did a podcast called Outliers, which is basically fictionalized British history short stories by rotating authors, plus interviews with the authors afterward. I haven’t listened to all of them yet but the ones I have listened to have been quite good.

I don’t think they plan to shut down after TMA ends, just move on to something else.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Len posted:

I don't think he himself has shown up before but the Lucas family has popped up as a behind the scenes player. They had stake in that occult freighter, something to do with the spooky satellite, and I believe donate to the Institute

That's Peter Lukas, he showed up before, in:
1) The episode (#100) where they take all the crazy-sounding statements from randos, and vanished one of them into ~somewhere~ while Melanie was getting tea.
2) To interview Martin on Elias's job performance (#108, "So... Less murder would be good?")
3) In the background as captain of SS Spooky Ship (#33)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
Limetown updated their feed - Season 2 apparently starts on Halloween.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Montalvo posted:

Yes, and it is remarkable that a group of people that delivers a podcast that is as good quality as Magnus Archives would want their name associated with something that sounds as godawful as Stellar Firma. The thought of listening to those two voice actors deliver those lines with those voices makes me want to puncture my earlobes. I'm not generally prone to hyperbole but that was easily one of the most dweeby, awkward, and uncomfortable things I've ever listened to.

Yeah, I listened to the pilot on their patreon a while back and hated it. The ad in TMA did nothing to convince me they’ve improved it any since. It feels like they’re trying to do sci-fi Monty Python and just... failing to make it funny.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Len posted:

So it's most improv?

Actually... yeah. It’s lovely British improv. I mean, I know it’s scripted, but it’s still lovely improv.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
While the cost seems a bit high, I wouldn’t mind paying for podcasts, I already donate or Patreon to the ones I really value anyway. What I mind is listening to them through some new lovely app - make your poo poo work with Pocket Casts or no deal.

Part of this is just that podcasts are built on an open standard, RSS, and the web is already way too proprietary. The last thing we need is to make podcasts into another drat closed ecosystem.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2019

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Aerox posted:

My favorite thing about the rain in Eskew was in the first episode they explicitly say that it literally never stops raining in Eskew so they can play the sound effect the whole time and then in the very next episode he talks about walking outside in the morning to see the sun rise on a cloudless day or something like that.

I mean, it’s not like this is the only inconsistency in Eskew. Kind of fits right in, actually.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

You're joking, right? It's gotten EXTREMELY convoluted. I'm not going to drag it too much because it's well executed and it's pretty obvious with how smoothly it's been done that that was always the plan, but it's a wildly different podcast than it used to be, and it is extremely involved.

I mean, it is more involved that Season 1, but it’s honestly not really any more complicated than a decently involved TV show of a similar genre after 4 seasons. Think Fringe, Person of Interest, that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I feel like the show would benefit greatly from the addition of actual other characters, not one just mentioned by the narrator, and exploration of other evidence forms, like the recording in Lost Johns' Cave. If that kind of this is coming, I will stick with it.

There is a pretty steady buildup in the cast - the show usually follows the formula of having a statement from one perspective as the centerpiece of the episode, but we get more people reading statements, statements directly from the person giving them, and much more in the way of pre- and post-statement conversation involving multiple people.