Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Mabel
Anna Limón is a caregiver for Sally Martin, an elderly woman with Parkinson's. The narrative is a series of voicemails that Anna leaves as she tries to locate Sally's missing granddaughter, Mabel. This is like Alice isn't Dead in that it's about atmosphere and language as much as plot. It's steeped in fairie folklore and greek mythology and has a great use of music.

Spines
Wren wakes up in an attic, covered in blood from some sort of ritual, and with no memory of who she is. This is one of the more underrated podcasts. There’s a southwestern road trip feel to it combined with some unsettling body horror.

Greater Boston
Interconnected lives along the Red Line in Boston. Riders decide to make the train line it's own city. Fortune telling, Atlantis, and maple syrup terrorist attacks.

Friends of the Void
A man is trapped in a lighthouse with something waiting outside. He tries to get messages out and distracts himself with various tapes he finds. The tapes are different stories that don't really have anything to do with the main narration. There are also a couple of pissy Artificial Intelligences who snipe at each other and try to lead him around. He may also be posessed by a digital demon.

Slumberland
Thomas Edward M, a sound archivist, is hired to record the people and events in the Northwest island community of Slumberland. It's a standard wacky-townsfolk narrative, almost like a cross between Night Vale and Greater Boston. It can be wildly uneven depending on the character the episode is focused on and your tolerance for their acting choices, but it can be interesting.

The Alexandria Archives
A college radio program from the South's Answer to Miskatonic University. It's a combination of episodic and serial fiction; one half of an episode is the host giving a running commentary on the ins and outs of the Alexandria University, with recurring characters of the Kings Falls variety; the other half is one-shot stories (which can be user submitted) of a variety of types.

Rover Red
In a post-Apocalyptic dystopia, Leah leaves her compound to search for her kidnapped brother. This is an interactive podcast where the listener can act as part of the ""Rover Council"" and help decide the direction of the story as well as send messages to Leah.

The Behemoth
A giant emerges from the Atlantic Ocean and walks across America. 15 year old Madyson follows.

Passage
A lifeboat from a passenger ship that disappeared 150 years ago is discovered in the Puget Sound with 4 skeletons on board. This is a six-episode, self-contained story in the vein of Limetown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Tanis and The Bright Sessions are being adapted for TV.

quote:

Based on the serialized, bi-weekly podcast, Tanis follows Nic Silver on his search to unravel what he thinks might be the last great mystery of the internet age. “Tanis” is what happens when the lines of science and fiction start to blur. Lee Shipman (The Son) is attached to adapt with podcast creator Terry Miles. Sam Raimi (Evil Dead) and Debbie Liebling (South Park) will produce through their POD 3 banner, along with Dark Horse.

The Bright Sessions is described as a sci-fi drama that follows a mysterious therapist and her unique set of patients, each struggling with a supernatural ability. Created and written by Lauren Shippen, the acclaimed podcast has been downloaded over 6 million times. Gabrielle G. Stanton (Grey’s Anatomy, The Flash) and Shippen are penning the adaptation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Homecoming season 2 started and there's an accompanying novella The Lost Coast.

Also, Small Town Horror has been posting miniepisodes with tittles like "Do You Care?" and I'm like, buddy...

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The manufactured Emily drama has really killed King Falls. It's just loving boring.

Izzy is a sequel to The Behemoth.
14 years after Max disappeared, there's been a sighting in the Solomon Islands. The 10 episodes were released at once. It's a pretty decent follow-up.

The Infinite follows an astronaut on a deep space mission. After his partner dies, he's only left with the computer to talk to. The first episode was engaging enough.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Montalvo posted:

Season 2 of Homecoming is, after Magnus Archives, the best executed second season in any story podcast I've listened to.

Becky remains the best character. "Please hum 3 ascending notes."

Gregoriev posted:

Since Tanis is apparently getting a TV show produced, is it actually worth listening to it? I listened to The Black Tapes all the way through, and went from liking the conceit and promise of what they were setting up until I realized they were just going the LOST path and throwing up a whole bunch of dumb questions they didn't care to really answer, and used the same 5 stock musical backing tracks and 5 annoying sound effects to extremely inappropriate ends. I avoided Tanis for that reason, assuming it'd be similar given the shared universe and thus same producer - is it better than TBT?

Tanis consists only of everything you just said you hated about TBTP.

Hostile Worlds is a "dramamentary" series by the people who did A Scottish Podcast and has the same kind of dry humor. Only one episode has aired, so I'm not entirely sure where it's going.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I don't think Night Vale is pandering to it's audience, I think it basically is its audience. Maybe that's a distinction without a difference.

I just recently got my dad into The Magnus Archives. He's six episodes in and loving it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
If you dinguses want to hear someone pander to a fanbase, listen to The Blood Crow Stories. (Don't listen to The Blood Crow Stories, it's loving terrible)

The particular Night Vale criticism here seems to start at exactly the point where Night Vale started introducing voices other than Cecil. That was a huge narrative development, and one that pretty much every longford show hits. That's usually where an audience splits; either because the show hits a sophomore slump, or the fans weren't getting what they tuned in for; in this case more of a romcom when they were looking for cosmic banality.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

TenCentFang posted:

Could you elaborate? I love hearing about terrible media.
The plot is that a grad student is doing a dissertation on the recordings of passengers from a ship that sank under mysterious circumstances back in the 20s.

The grad student is in a polyamorous relationship just because, all the passengers tick some checkbox, and the student interrupts their recordings to point it out and squee about it. It's insufferable. And there's some stupid supernatural poo poo going on.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I want to apologize for getting out-of-hand a few days back, especially to Ten Cent Fang. I remember in the last version of this thread it somehow came up that there are a lot of LGBT characters in podcasts and a pretty heated argument came up about whether that was "pandering." So I think I overreacted when I thought we were going there again and tried to nip it in the bud. Ironically I started the argument I was trying to avoid, and in the process acted like a jerk without realizing it. It's very Oedipal (the "self-fulfilling prophecy" part, not the "boning your mom" part). Anyway, sorry about that. I'll try not to let it happen again.
When you're done boning your mom, I sentence you to The Blood Crow Stories as punishment.

My particular quirk with fictional podcasts is that I need them to in some way acknowledge the fourth wall. The straight-up, old-timey radio show analogues tend to leave me cold. I never got into things like Wolf 359 or psychopomp's podcast because of it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The Bright Sessions is back and continues to be a charming character piece.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Nic: Cameron Ellis called me to meet up. He said he had something important to show me.

Cameron Ellis: Hi Nic. I called you to meet up. I have something important to show you, Nic.

Nic: Something important to show me?

Cameron Ellis: That's right, Nic.

Nic: Uhhhh...okay. So...why don't you tell me?

Cameron Ellis: It's a rock in your garden, Nic.

Nic: A rock in my garden?

Cameron Ellis: *sighs* I don't have time for this, Nic. *leaves*

Nic: Just then, MK called me with information.

MK: I'm calling with information.

Nic: Information?

MK: It's an email picture file from Cameron Ellis.

Nic: An email picture file?

MK: That's right.

Nic: Can you email it to me?

MK: *sighs*. Already did it.

Nic: MK emailed me the email picture file from Cameron Ellis. It was an email picture file of what Cameron Ellis called.."a rock."

Only it wasn't a rock.

It was a stone.

Dramatic drumbeat

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure the first one is "Did you eat me like a seed?"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do people recommend sticking with Archive 81 then? I started it recently and the first bit of season 2 was so massively different and seemingly stupider that I just stopped.
I liked season 2, but I think I either forgot a lot of it, or got it mixed up with The Deep Vault by the same people. There were definitely some good scenes. I'd say stick with it, because season 3 has been loving fantastic.

Tanis and The Last Movie are both terrible and insufferable. All they do is list "weird" stuff and expect the audience to make the dumbshit connections PNWS is too stupid or lazy to bother with. Nic is the worst goddamned narrator this planet has ever seen. His listless delivery could refer to either the eggs he had for breakfast, or the Extraterrestrial Biostation they found on Mars.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I have to re-listen to season 2 of Archive 81 because I swear to god I don't remember a single thing about it.

Season 1 was good and was even better when I listened to it a second time, although I felt it could have been fleshed out more.

Season 3 was absolutely great. You can jump right in without knowing a single thing about the previous seasons.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked season 1 of Archive 81, thought season 2 started a bit weak and got way better as it went, but bounced off season 3 really hard. Which is weird, since that sort of modern occultism thing is extremely my poo poo, but so it goes.
How could you not like the Payphone? Did you try cutting off you left hand and leaving it on the floor of the phone booth?

Wonderful.

Has anyone listened to The Make-Believe Show? The main cast of Kings Falls AM ask a question each week and delve into their personal histories, hopes, and traumas. It's not fiction but I find it very engaging, partially because I've become so familiar with these voices.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Is CatNapSis from Ferrets the same one from The White Tapes?

Anyway, after more than 2 years, Qwerpline came back outta loving nowhere with a new episode that's completely in line with everything previous. It's actually really weird because I assumed they all just drifted away and got on with their lives.

If anyone's interested, it's like a sloppy, improve version of King Falls AM where the don't edit out the laugh breaks.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Antitonic posted:

Qwerpline was going to be fully animated, until the animation was holding up the release, so they decided to just release them as they had been to get them out there, and hopefully lessons were learned.
That's interesting. My first instinct would be that animation is unnecessary, but I've been watching Sealab lately and I could imagine it being somewhat similar.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Oh, I'll be the judge, alright. I'll be all the judge.

edit: ok, so more like Home Movies. I'd like to see that, but I'm glad they went with the podcast because the voice acting is on point.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 21, 2019

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Farg posted:

In my mind John from magnus archives looks exactly like Garth Merenghi
At some point I realized that I've always pictured him as being this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONpPwJ5xpjo

And that video has a very Statement-like quality to it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Is Archive 81 coming back, or are they working on another project?

If I listened to and am caught up on Lime Town, Stella Firma, Archive 81, Magnus Archives, The Bright Sessions, Welcome to Nightvale, The Orbiting Human Circus, Alice isn't Dead, Between the wires, Wolf 359, EOS10, Edict Zero FIS and Kakos Industries(don't judge me.) What else would you recommend?

I'll always recommend Mabel. It's a lot of Greek, Irish, and Latin American mythological themes told through voicemail messages that feel like confessionals and stream-of-consciousness poetry. If you liked Nightvale and Alice Isn't Dead, it might interest you.

Slumberland is a nice, offbeat tale of a guy recording the oral history of a weird island town. It meanders through dozens of characters, stories, and histories. It doesn't really have any kind of overarching plot, but there is progression. It has a Midwest/Great Lakes strangeness to it that's hard to describe, almost solitary? I always enjoy it.

Greater Boston is a busy, character-driven show about a bunch of different lunatics and assholes who turn Boston's Red Line into it's own city and all the ramifications thereof.

Homeland is good. It's professionally produced like Limetown and is a solid story. It's worth listening to just to hear David Schwimmer play the biggest rear end in a top hat imaginable.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

AstroZamboni posted:

Season 5 of Tanis just wrapped up. It was interesting. I'll post a breakdown of everything that happened, but it'll take a while to write up.

lol they put that pile of garbage behind a loving paywall.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Weird, but a year and a half after it ended, Spines released a new episode that takes place in the second half of season two. If you liked the show, it’s good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I really liked the way this last episode got into Gertrude’s story; how in answering a conversational question he slipped into Archivist Mode.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ratatozsk posted:

Of course, it’s spelled F-A-E-R-I-E”

These "Tales of Faeries."

"Anybody who started to ask questions later on was either permanently silenced, or encouraged to be silent by the evidence that others were being systematically permanently silenced."

They're not strong writers over there.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I really liked this latest episode of TMA. It put me in mind of The Southern Reach trilogy.

This cosmic, existential horror as seen by its victims and perpetrators. They all feel the knife’s edge before the actual cut, and they’re all the same.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Fil5000 posted:

I was stunned at this question. I had to go back and recap three previous episodes to even attempt to answer it. Then I had an exchange with another character where I repeated everything they said to me but with a question mark on the end. Buy bombas socks.

You had an exchange with another character where you repeated everything they said to you but with a question mark on the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Azathoth posted:

I really enjoy Mabel, and it has recently returned from an almost 3 year hiatus. It's a modern take on a fairy tale, the old and horrific kind.
Awesome, I didn't realize it was back!