Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
Since Tanis is apparently getting a TV show produced, is it actually worth listening to it? I listened to The Black Tapes all the way through, and went from liking the conceit and promise of what they were setting up until I realized they were just going the LOST path and throwing up a whole bunch of dumb questions they didn't care to really answer, and used the same 5 stock musical backing tracks and 5 annoying sound effects to extremely inappropriate ends. I avoided Tanis for that reason, assuming it'd be similar given the shared universe and thus same producer - is it better than TBT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

Jurgan posted:

A similar note is how many of them are so devoted to the "found footage" concept that they go out of their way to give an in-universe explanation for how the recording was made. Bright Sessions does this a lot- "Wait, why are you recording this?" "Oh, well, I was just thinking..." - and it's one of the very few things I dislike about that show.

This is probably the thing I'm most annoyed by that's done in The Magnus Archive. A third of the supplemental recordings in the second season don't have a particularly good reason for being recorded, but they still insist on having Jonathan Sims say "End Supplemental" at the end, instead of him just turning it off, or reflecting on what happened afterwards and then saying it.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

Hoo boy, just started season 2 of Archive 81 today and holy poo poo are those the most immersion-breaking ads I've ever heard.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

boo_radley posted:

They're amazing right? Imagine what kind of postage you need to mail things back from the Eldritch hellscape. Thank goodness for :zalgo:stamps dot com:zalgo:.

Or the... Concert ticket service, I think? Bless them for not breaking character, but come on y'all.

I got in the habit of just fast forwarding through them (I don't usually make a point of it for other podcasts unless I'm in a particularly annoyed mood), but what an intensely pointless devotion to being in character.

I thought Tribulations was good, although Stacy's performance in the first episode definitely trends towards cringey.

I'm 5 episodes into Steal the Stars, and it's been consistently entertaining. Found out after finishing episode 5 that it's by the writer of LifeAfter and The Message, which explains the solid writing.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

So Steal the Stars's finale was posted today, and hoo boy was it... underwhelmingly lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Is anyone listening to Sandra, the new podcast from Gimlet Media?

Here's the description

It somehow managed to be more disappointing than Homecoming.

Nothing happens - the plot barely moves forward over the course of the 7 episodes, and the ending is bewildering in how dumb it is. The lack of forward momentum is frustratingly underscored by the constant commercial breaks prefaced by annoying scene transition jingles. I definitely wouldn't bother.