Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New Leaf posted:

If you dig Magnus and the like check out Old Gods of Appalachia. It's a new horror anthology podcast with an elder gods meets backwoods Appalachia bent with a fantastic narrator/storyteller. I'm absolutely enthralled so far and there's only a few episodes out.

This is extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

When will people learn not to make deals with whispers in the dark?

*A commercial like those ones that buy structured settlements, but it's for a dark god offering to buy your soul in exchange for power*

IT'S MY POWER AND I NEED IT NOW!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

This bit is literally the telephone god in Archive 81

I was going for The Devil at the Crossroads makes a low budget TV commercial, but eh... I'll take it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Holy crap, that's more than a show a week for 6 years, not even considering the recording of the podcast itself. That's...uh, yeah, kinda nuts.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Looks like a they're the same episode as the first 3 episodes of the third season, only they're all one second shorter. Apparently it's a hosting or RSS thing:

https://twitter.com/MrPaulBae/status/1216447867574861824

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Droyer posted:

It's doubly weird cause they have the narrator curating everything so they could just have her say "I've removed everything that doesn't offer new information" or whatever and not have this problem.

I love The White Vault, but the conceit of all the recordings being in different languages, then the same person reads the recordings in English when we're definitely supposed to assume that this is found footage and that those people are missing is odd too. Still great, and I love what they're doing, but the whole thing feels like weird 4th wall breaking

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I figure it's a budget thing (finding performers who can do the appropriate accent who also sound like foreign language actors vs. just having the same performer do both)

Edit:

I do hope they start going into a little of the explanation of the mystery pretty soon though. What's happening this season is cool and all, but they haven't so far covered any new ground from what was revealed in season 1.

Azathoth fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 22, 2020

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Here's my recommendations for stuff that's got an ongoing plot:

66B
Adventures in New America
Among the Stars and Bones
Archive 81
Ark City
ars PARADOXICA
Dark Ages
Dreamboy
Duggan Hill
Fall of the House of Sunshine
Girl in Space
Hadron Gospel Hour
The Hyacinth Disaster
In Her Burning
Janus Descending
Kalila Stormfire's Economical Magic Services
Limetown
Mabel
The Magical History of Knox County
The Magnus Archives
The Message
Mirrors
Mission to Zyxx
The Orphans
The Penumbra
The Phenomenon
Point Mystic
A Scottish Podcast
The Six Disappearances of Ella McCray
Spines
StarTripper
Station to Station
Steal the Stars
The Subjective Truth
Tales from the Alethian Society
Tides
Unwell
Vast Horizon
Victoriocity
The White Vault
Wolf 359

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I haven't gotten a chance yet, still working through I Am In Eskew, so I didn't include it, but both seem to be thread favorites

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Montalvo posted:

The White Vault’s second season is really dull.

I wish it wasn't a palette swap of season one. There's been exactly one reveal so far that was interesting, otherwise it's just new people discovering the same things. I hope they start opening their mystery boxes soon. They've set up some neat ones.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New Leaf posted:

Is TANIS ever going to get off the paid service and be free? I want to hate-listen to it so bad..

Is there seriously nothing better you'd rather do?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

HIJK posted:

Is Tanis even making any money off it being pay to listen? I figure there's enough people interested in the nonsense or even just wanting to hate-listen but considering how long its been spinning its hard to believe that many people would spend money on it...

I would assume so. Those deals generally involve direct compensation, since it necessarily means any ads they run are gonna reach fewer people

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratatozsk posted:

Kinda mixed feelings. Happy to see Casner alive, but now he's going back into...whatever. Connecting the two sites seems like a bit of a stretch but I'll keep following. Faults not withstanding, the people behind this seem to enjoy what they do and put their hearts into their production.

I really enjoy it, but the next season is where they either pay off all the mystery they've built, or go full Tanis and keep making palette swap seasons until the audience slowly melts away. I hope it's the former.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New Leaf posted:

I didn't even listen to the trailer and I know what you're talking about..

Finish what you loving started before moving on to something else, Nic!

I would legit like to know what the hiccups with the ad supported release were. Not because I'm mad it isn't out yet, but because I know that it is definitely hilarious.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I am enjoying TMA still, though I can understand why folks might not be enjoying it right now.

My feeling is that what is happening now isn't something that can be judged in isolation. The ending might pay all this off in an unexpected way, much like how they were dropping hints to a larger story when it was still monster of the week. All that is happening now gets recontextualized in light of that. Or maybe not and it'll go out in a Game of Thrones style wet fart.

They've done a good job of playing with expectations so far, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until they wrap it up, but I understand if other folks can't do the same.

If you're in that boat, I'd say don't hate listen, stop staying caught up and wait for it to end, read some commentary and decide if you want to spend time finishing it. There's more content out there than there is time to listen to it, no sense spending it consuming something you won't enjoy.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That's the thing though. I wouldn't call it a hate listen, it's more like I just don't listen for several weeks and then binge several episodes at once. It's basically what I did with The Bright Sessions by the end.

That's fair, though I do think that my suggestion to stop listening to something that you're not sure about is still good advice, not just for this podcast but also for this podcast.

I'll confess that I really don't understand why the creators are doing what they're doing right now, in the sense that they seem to largely be rehashing previous territory, which seems like a weird choice in a narrative that was previously barrelling towards a conclusion. But they've earned enough goodwill from their previous reveals that I'll go along with it.

My pet theory is that this is all some complex machination of The Web and they're going to pay it all out by the end, but I am prepared as well that this might just all be something that could be something best summarized in a couple lines with a "skip to episode ### where it picks back up again".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

You get the whole bunch when you donate right? I'm not sure how I felt about s3 by itself but I'm enjoying the series as a whole and want to see the extra content. I assume it adds some context to the main series?

Without spoilers, I'd be curious to know if it adds extra context to explain why season 3 was literally just the same plot as the fist season but with new characters.

I should clarify that I still enjoy the show and liked season 3 well enough, I'm just legit not understanding why they felt the need to make that a whole season instead of just adding a throwaway line somewhere that says "what's happening on Svalbard is happening elsewhere too".

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

Yeah it really feels like a mid series lull. I'm hoping 4 is going to be something different. It certainly feels like it should be going off how 3 ended

The biggest problem I have is that since season 1, they really haven't either set up new mysteries or answered existing ones (aside from that the one dude from season 1 who speaks inexplicably slowly is still alive).

I find the setting and central mystery of the series to be extremely engaging, and find that the found footage conceit works well, so I'm happy to see where it goes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

boo_radley posted:

From the makers of I Am In Eskew is the upcoming Silt Verses: https://www.thesiltverses.com/

I loved Eskew, and this is giving me some strong Archive 81 vibes. I'm excited!

holy poo poo I can't wait for this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Speaking of not being able to wait for something:

"Gabriel Urbina, Sarah Shachat, and Zach Valenti, the creative team behind Wolf 359, are making a new audio fiction show! It's called Unseen, and it's an urban fantasy series!"

That message just dropped in the Wolf 359 and Zero Hours feeds, along with a 4 minute teaser. I ... uh, I'm very hyped right now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, after getting called out for such a lovely and abrupt ending, they basically said "FOOLED YOU, IT'S NOT REALLY THE END" but haven't done anything else with it since.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

they did show up in The Last Movie and if they addressed the "end" of The Black Tapes, it was a throwaway line at best and I can't remember it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ratatozsk posted:

Which episode of Archive 81 had that prolonged NPR spoof within the episode?

Episode 25 - Sacrifice three bunnies on the stump of an oak tree to stop moderate to severe throat irritation

by coincidence, I just relistened to it about an hour ago

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

New episode of Tanis just dropped. Let the hate listening commence

Spoiler: I'm not hate listening, I still enjoy it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

From that list, definitely check out I Am In Eskew, it just concluded and it's a great listen from beginning to end.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Okay, I just saw Boom recommended by the Archive 81 folks and I bounced off it once before, but based on their rec I'm willing to give it another go. Without getting too spoilery, could someone clarify whether this becomes something more than a generic murder mystery about a dude dealing with grief?

Like, that hook didn't really grab me but I can push through if it goes someplace weirder, but I went through the first 4-5 episodes and if that's what the rest is like, I don't think I care to continue, but that rec keeps sloshing around in the back of my mind, because everything else they recommend is both weird and extremely my thing.

...help?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Definitely check out Dark Ages and Tales from the Aletheian Society. They both scratch a very similar itch.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

busalover posted:

What's a good season of Night vale to start with? I listened to the first episode of season one and two (ten minutes each), but didn't like it much. Is it always just a single narrator?

I'd say listen to the most recent episode and see if it grabs you.

Their writing and production values definitely increase a lot over the years, but the same basic episode structure is always present. They do have guest spots, and ongoing stories, so some episodes are partially or even mostly not Cecil, but the vast majority are single narrator. They do some really cool storytelling within their style as the show ramps up though.

There's a whole mythos that weaves throughout the series, and it starts early, so I definitely think that a chronological listen is the best way to experience it, but a random recent episode is a good way to see if you like the overall format.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

Nightvale went back and made edits on episodes in the last 4 years right? I'm pretty sure there wasn't a mountain goats cover in the early episodes and they definitely didn't have so many ads or any really.

Is this what it's like when people say they can't watch the home media release of Daria? It's the same but different

The ads are new, but eh, that's the business. Not gonna fault them for that.

As for the Weather swap, #15 and #34 originally included a song by Tom Milsom. After it was revealed that he was a pedophile, they quietly swapped out the songs.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

That's a pretty good reason for the swap then. I didn't remember what was there but i was pretty sure that 15 didn't play a mountain goats cover at me originally.

It's just weird hearing them talk up how great a game best fiends is and the ads definitely stand out next to how they did some very fake jokes above ads like the audible one in an early episode. So it starts with an ad telling me that this year has been bad and betterhelp is here for me, fake audible ad, book ends with a real ad

yeah, they've been pretty open about how much of a financial hit they've taken not being able to tour, so if not hearing them talk about eating subway is the price, so be it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I would definitely check out Tales from the Aletheian Society, which started mid-2018, if you haven't already done so.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Azathoth posted:

Here's my recommendations for stuff that's got an ongoing plot:

66B
Adventures in New America
Among the Stars and Bones
Archive 81
Ark City
ars PARADOXICA
Dark Ages
Dreamboy
Duggan Hill
Fall of the House of Sunshine
Girl in Space
Hadron Gospel Hour
The Hyacinth Disaster
In Her Burning
Janus Descending
Kalila Stormfire's Economical Magic Services
Limetown
Mabel
The Magical History of Knox County
The Magnus Archives
The Message
Mirrors
Mission to Zyxx
The Orphans
The Penumbra
The Phenomenon
Point Mystic
A Scottish Podcast
The Six Disappearances of Ella McCray
Spines
StarTripper
Station to Station
Steal the Stars
The Subjective Truth
Tales from the Alethian Society
Tides
Unwell
Vast Horizon
Victoriocity
The White Vault
Wolf 359

Also, I put these recommendations up earlier this year, check out anything here.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I will 100% watch it even if it's just one season, but I hope they get more and go full weird like the podcast did.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Len posted:

The first season was an above average found footage horror podcast to lure you in, everything after was great and weird in the right ways.

I'm not sure how they would carry over listening to tapes to map out an unknowable city while you get yelled at by the guy from Glen Gary Glen Ross

Now I understand your concert, really I do, but we're going to just have to watch this thing together, okay little buddy?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Arrhythmia posted:

Have they done one besides the one about bomb defusing?

Zach Valenti is also acting on Primordial Deep, a new podcast from Jordan Cobb that just dropped its first episode. I like her stuff, so I'm definitely gonna see where it goes.

I know I've heard Gabriel Urbina's name come up on a couple podcasts recently as a producer/writer, but my searches aren't turning up anything. I know he's been involved with the Arden Podcast, which I haven't listened to, but which I've heard good things about.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Any chance you could post their full rec list? I love Magnus, but I skip their out-of-universe stuff

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Do it ironically posted:

I’ve been listening to Unseen not sure what to think of it yet, voice acting is good, stories are somewhat interesting I wonder if they’ll connect any of the stories eventually

I am enjoying it so far, but yeah, it's hard to know what to make of it right now. I'm hoping that the first season is all about laying down the basics of the world and that we actually get an ongoing story in season two.

If they keep going with the whole "each character gets one episode a season, no ongoing story, all worldbuilding all the time" thing beyond season one, then I sincerely hope that there's something more interesting to the world than the painfully bland urban fantasy world they've set up so far.

Like, I'm not even going to spoil this, its so basic: there's magic under our noses, it's hard to do, there's a magic store, there's a magic school, there's faeries and at least one faerie court. Three episodes in and that's all. This isn't the late 80s / early 90s, you can't get by with that being your world if worldbuilding is all you're gonna do. There's a dozen Twilight ripoffs that have managed more interesting worlds faster.

That said, the production values, the dialogue, and the performances have been so drat good. I care about the characters they've set up, so hopefully they come back. If it were literally any other team, I'd drop out now and check back in 6 months to see if they've figured it kut, but Wolf 359 has earned them some leeway. I just hope they start paying it off soon.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

The current run is only 10 episodes with no real indication that they plan for more.

that's fair, though the phrase "season one" implies the desire to create additional seasons, even if said plan is nothing more than "if we can make enough doing season one to finance season two, we'll figure something out then"

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

vortmax posted:

If you didn't see the phrase "Tanis people" and immediately ignore the rest of the post I feel sorry for you.

Yeah, no poo poo. I genuinely do not understand why anyone who bounced off of Tanis (or any of the other podcasts by the same people) would even try one of their other ones at this point. It's crystal clear right now what you're gonna get with one of theirs and yet people still seem to think that yes, in season 2 of The Last Movie, a podcast with two of the main characters from Tanis and by the same people, that this season is the one where it's not going to be a hot loving mess of loose ends and Shyamalanian twists.

Why anyone would hate listen to a podcast they know they won't like when there's so much other media out there to consume instead is absolutely beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sekenr posted:

I genuinely like both Tanis and Last movie.

I do too, I just get annoyed with people kramering into the thread to share how much they hate everything they do whenever a new season or episode drops.

It's tiresome and no one's forcing them to listen, yet a certain segment of people here can't help but register how much episode 142 (or whatever) of the ongoing story is dumb and sucks just like the previous 141 episodes sucked. And you can be sure that when 143 drops, they'll be right back in here saying how terrible it is.

Like, if it's a new podcast or even a recent change in an existing one, that I totally understand, but at this point if you're still listening and don't like it, seriously take the time to examine why you're choosing to spend your time consuming something you don't like just so you can talk about how much you don't like it in here.