Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Len posted:

Magnus Archives is probably the one I look forward to most right now. It's a horror anthology series set in a stuffy British occult institution. At the top of the series the archivist has just taken over after the last one disappeared and he's trying to to get things in order. Each episode has a small segment at the beginning and end relating to the current goings on in the archives while the meat of each episode is a statement from someone who has encountered the paranormal. It's plotted to last five seasons and the non-statement parts do have a purpose and lead up to an ending that answers a lot of questions while also raising a few more. There's a Patreon that promises exclusive content expanding the world but so far most of it is stuff from their sister program Rusty Quill Gaming.

Seconding this. Magnus is loving amazing and everyone should be throwing them Patreon cash just to get them some spending money. They are more than $5 of entertainment every month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I think I'm going to drop Mabel now that I'm entirely caught up with it. I'm going to give it one more episode, but I just don't enjoy it as much as I did when I started. I don't feel like the story has progressed in like 10 episodes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Spoilers for this week's Tanis: How old is this Eld Fen book supposed to be exactly? There's a letter from someone to HP Lovecraft about finding a copy that is seemingly in good shape despite its age, but it talks about a man driving a sedan on the highway. Lovecraft died in 1937, so how old could it possibly be? Like, 20 years?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I could imagine these "Eld Fen" stories on Tanis as being read by Cecil from Night Vale.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I wonder if they'll make the character really passionate about Blue Apron or Bombas Socks.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Aubrey Plaza for MK.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Excellent "Magnus Archives" episode this week. Holy poo poo. These guys never fail to impress. Looking forward to where this leads.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

Agreed, and made painfully clear how I feel about my different podcasts listening to one right after the other.

Tanis: Callie doesn't exist, heh ok I guess.
Magnus Archives: Wait WAIT THAT SCREAM, THAT OUTBURST! HOLY poo poo THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO SASHA

Hah, I had the same reactions in the exact same order. I still enjoy Tanis just for Nic, but goddamn its torture sometimes..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I know this isn't the "proper" thread for it since technically its a non-fiction podcast, but in the lead up to a recent episode of "Tanis" Nic mentioned another podcast called "Astonishing Legends" that I started listening to and REALLY enjoy! They basically outline and analyze real world myths and legends, like Springheel Jack and the Oak Island Money Pit, or all the mysteries behind the Amelia Earhart disappearance and go through all the possibilities to find any kernels of truth in the myths. I've been bingeing on them lately and really enjoy their style.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Is it better than Lore? That one started out okay but it mostly just sounds like he reads from creepy Wikipedia pages so I dropped it

Never heard of it, but from your description, I'd say yes, it is. They lay out the story but focus on facts that have somewhat reliable sources. If and when they're out to tell a spooky story, they make it clear from the start.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tweak posted:

New Magnus Archives: OH gently caress

also that was super dumb of you John, how did you come to the exact opposite conclusion regarding the table?

:stare:

Uhh, yeah. That certainly was a thing. The wait for the next episode is going to be excruciating.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Goddamn, Magnus. Knocking them out of the loving park. Next week can't get here fast enough!

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Heads up, my phone just alerted me that the new Black Tapes is up. Not the biggest fan in the world, but I'm going to see it through.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Podcasters must go through a lot of underwear, too. I get ads from Mack Weldon and Me Undies constantly.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jesus loving Christ, Magnus. :stare:

These guys REALLY know how to do this poo poo. I don't want them to go away, but they are destined for much greater things.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Magnus Archives

Gertrude and Jurgen were played by Johnny's parents.

That's a talented family

Holy poo poo, I missed that. Well done indeed. I'd love to hear a tape of the two of them down the road.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TenCentFang posted:

The relationship between Cecil and Carlos is indeed part of it, in fact. But I'm seven different varieties of queer myself, so I feel entitled to not like the execution of gay elements, Originally, the joke with Carlos was that (A) Cecil was creepily obsessed with him in a completely one sided way and (B) Carlos was an absent straight man, the kind of normal guy who came to this weird town to investigate weird stuff, and is saving the day offscreen as though he was the protagonist in a series we're not watching. Putting Cecil and Carlos together like they did and the subsequent treatment of Carlos as someone who's pure and innocent and has quirks nearing if not equal to the quirks of others in the town kinda hosed the whole thing up. On a note I'm not sure is related or not, his voice actor makes my skin crawl because he's got the whole "precious cinnamon roll lil teddy bear" vibe that my eyes roll out of their sockets.

The voice of Carlos has a podcast called "Conversations With People Who Hate Me" if you want to tell him all that yourself. :)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Farg posted:

So wait is this season of Tanis over?

I assume so.. There hasn't been an episode in a couple weeks, but I don't remember some big season finale.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Jurgan posted:

You've never heard of the dramatic pause? It's something that happens on podcasts- that's like radio for the internet. I'll mail you an explanation using stamps.com

Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something about that on the Dark Net. It was taken down pretty quickly by a master hacker, but they were no match for my tracking algorithms.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Magnus is the one nice thing that we have that practically all of us can agree on. Don't start poking holes in it now! :colbert:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

calandryll posted:

Agreed on the recommendation for The Big Loop. Whoever that voice actress was, she really sold it.

Yeah I'm digging it so far. Why did I think this was PNWS?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Slamhound posted:

Nic: Cameron Ellis called me to meet up. He said he had something important to show me.

Cameron Ellis: Hi Nic. I called you to meet up. I have something important to show you, Nic.

Nic: Something important to show me?

Cameron Ellis: That's right, Nic.

Nic: Uhhhh...okay. So...why don't you tell me?

Cameron Ellis: It's a rock in your garden, Nic.

Nic: A rock in my garden?

Cameron Ellis: *sighs* I don't have time for this, Nic. *leaves*

Nic: Just then, MK called me with information.

MK: I'm calling with information.

Nic: Information?

MK: It's an email picture file from Cameron Ellis.

Nic: An email picture file?

MK: That's right.

Nic: Can you email it to me?

MK: *sighs*. Already did it.

Nic: MK emailed me the email picture file from Cameron Ellis. It was an email picture file of what Cameron Ellis called.."a rock."

Only it wasn't a rock.

It was a stone.

Dramatic drumbeat

A board from an old arcade cabinet. A box of unlabeled VHS tapes. A rock that isn't a rock but is actually a stone. These are a few of the things we've shipped from our office lately using Stamps.com...

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for saving me the time.. I hadn't started season 3 and now I don't plan to! I unsubscribed from Rabbits, too, because gently caress them. Tanis, though.. I guess I'm a masochist because I'm going to stick with it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

^^^ Yeah you've got a point there. Your post came in as I was typing mine. I'm friends with one of these guys: https://www.patreon.com/lasertime and their Patreon looks like they're rolling in dough, but they live in San Francisco and they're barely scraping by. They have multiple shows on the network so they're pulling multiple Patreons, but location is everything. I don't get why they don't move to the east coast where I am, but they like being in the big city..

Permotriassic posted:

So, as someone who would like to make radio drama-type stuff at some point, does it really cost that much to make or what? Between Kickstarter, Patreon and all of those ads, sheesh. I looked at the list of things they had to pay for and it seems like PNWS is either getting fleeced somewhere or I'm profoundly ignorant of the costs involved.

IF they had a huge staff, they'd want to pay everyone a living wage.. but the fact of the matter is that they don't have a huge staff. I can't begin to admit to having any idea what sort of ad revenue they're bringing in, but $50k plus a kickstarter, not to mention Patreon.. that's shady as gently caress. Most podcasters do it for the love of the craft, not to get rich.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 8, 2017

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So I guess every episode of The Big Loop is unconnected? I'm not through the second episode yet, but I don't mind as long as the stories are all as good as the first.

Has anyone tried Mission To Zyxx? It may have come up when I wasn't paying attention. One of my non-fiction podcasts brought them up but I haven't had time to give them a whirl yet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Magnus is already back for season 3 with completely original stories and I feel like they just ended season 2. PNWS takes 6+ months to come back and rehash the same old poo poo over and over again.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

In the last two weeks I've listened to 80 episodes of The Magnus Archives, and it's started seeping into my dreams.

TMA owns.

I got a coworker listening and she's devouring it. It was funny early on when I'd get emails like "omg you don't get to find out what X is" or "what happened to so-and-so?!" Now she's just along for the ride.

Also, this entire season has been on loving point. Every episode this season has been phenomenal in my opinion. These guys deserve to win some awards soon..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

It's me, I'm the target audience. I love the convoluted meta plot. I love seeing it all tie together into one massive messy whole. Because the horror is still there, and I'm more than happy to sacrifice the occasional episode on the altar of plot. Because every other week is still a great little horror story.

I'm right there with you. I recently caught my wife up and we had a good 30 minute car ride exchanging theories about what's really going on and how everything is connected. I'm super excited with the current direction of the show.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Proof positive that you can't please everyone.. Even those with similar tastes.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I don't give a poo poo what any of you say, 92 was a drat good episode of Magnus.

Also, in the "Goodbye Mr Adams" episode of The Big Loop, was that the same kid from The Bright Sessions? Edit: Yes, it is.. He's got a good voice for this sort of thing.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 8, 2018

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I hope whenever Magnus ends that they don't vanish into the aether.. I want more content from these guys, whatever it is. Anyone listen to their gaming podcast? Is it any good?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

TANIS is back. Yay? I'm going to stick with it, but mostly I just missed Nic's voice. I don't know, I really like him for some reason.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Got started on the Magnus Archives thanks to this thread. I don't normally go in for horror, but I find that it's surprisingly pleasant listening.

Lost Johns' Cave definitely convinced me that caving will never be my hobby. I'm not claustrophobic, but gently caress I was getting anxious at those descriptions even before the weird stuff happened.

If you really want to freak yourself out, YouTube it. It's a real place, and there's a famous helmet cam video of someone actually getting stuck (temporarily).

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

calandryll posted:

I always thought she had a hint of disdain in her voice. Didn't they sleep together at some point because I really thought she hated him.

Nah she's never hated him, sounding bored is her thing, like Daria or Aubrey Plaza. She's actively been trying to protect him from doing stupid poo poo lately.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Len posted:

Yeah they're really doubling down on Everything Is Connected. Can't just have some stand alone creepy things. Even the anglerfish episode just looped back around to be relevant.

And yes I'm aware I complained about the bag of teeth episode not connecting with anything earlier in the thread. It's still the worst episode.

The anglerfish already had a connection - the Sarah girl was mentioned as being one of the other people who went missing in that episode and she's the same one that came up in the abandoned hospital where what's-her-face ghost hunter chick is introduced.

Personally, I'm 100% on board and invested.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Its still leagues beyond some of the other trash I subject myself to. I know their Patreon is pretty successful, so I wonder if they suddenly just found themselves with a glut of resources and got a bit ambitious. Maybe they'll scale back after the break. That said, I love Ghosthunter girl whose name I can never remember's inclusion on the show because I always liked her.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I don't hate this new TANIS venture, "The Last Movie". I like that they put everything out at once. That said, I'm not done yet.. Like 2 episodes to go. I did catch one flub though - they use their standard intro of haunting music with clips of dialogue from the show and they have a voice clip that is clearly the voice actor who plays Cameron Ellis from TANIS speaking normally, but when you get to that point in the show, its a character named Morris and they use a thing to disguise his voice. Seems like something that could have been caught in editing..

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Montalvo posted:

Can someone please explain Magnus 100 to me because I have no idea what that was about. What am I missing?

I don't know what the ending meant, but to me the whole thing was trying to show how important John was to the Institute since nobody else can get a coherent statement out of people.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

I saw it as a near confirmation of one of the more meta theories: one of the more "unrealistic" aspects of the podcast is that every single statement, whether it's from doctors, or plumbers, have extremely vivid descriptions on par with those you'd expect from a professional writer. So once the Beholding powers came into play, I heard at least a couple of people theorize if part of the Archivist's powers is to give people that "artistical ability" to ensure proper recordings. This seems to prove this is the case (much like the episode where Sasha was recruited by Elias: when Martin tried to take her statement, she also mostly stammered until she asked about John).

Yeah, thinking back, its like they're all read in the same "voice" - literally and figuratively. One of his favorite things to is start a sentence with "Still, ..." Maybe in the case of the written statements they're still coherent because of the presence of the Archivist - so with John away, nothing goes right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Anyone know what happened to The Big Loop? There hasn't been an episode in months..