Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Does it make sense to listen to Magnus Archives if I am more into mystical plot rather than short stories, while also not interested in documenting all names and references?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eskew is pretty terrifying. My only complaint about it is that PI episodes make it seem like it's another dimension or something and you need a portal to get to Eskew. I felt it was more immersive when it appeared to be a real (albeit surreal and hosed up) place that exists in the same world as ours. Ward's blogging about it makes more sense in this context as well

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What do you guys think of Big Data? http://bigdata.show/

Aside from unfortunate name that makes it get lost among actual big data resources, its pretty brilliant. Basically 2 journalists got a flash drive full of recordings concerning a worldwide conspiracy to steal "the 7 keys to the internet". Basically if you start listening and are on the fence, listen till the end of chase sequence from ep 1, its hilarious, there is just something about a cop who doesn't like NERRRDS but trying to be sympathetic to the nerd having a swordfight with a key thief in Seul metro while they are both dressed in and armed with poo poo they stole from korean cosplay convention. "All these years of training... video game training finally paid off" Everything being is so ridiculous, combined with supposedly grandiose stakes, I love it.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 5, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Meinberg posted:

I got through it, and it was okay. I thought the overall plot and structure were interesting, but the voice acting was just atrocious in parts. I found the end of episode one to be especially bad, just a bunch of screaming into microphones and poorly structured nonsense that dragged on for an interminable period. It felt like everyone had energy dials that could only be at 3 or 10, with no room for nuance in between.

Eh, sadly, it was my favourite part never to be repeated again. Music and magic was pretty nice but not really what I wanted or expected.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

vortmax posted:

People still listen to Tanis!? :aaa:

Tanis hit that sweet spot between vaguely interesting and simultaniously something you can doze off to. I've been craving to find something like that ever since. Any suggestions, goons?

Last movie didn't do it for me, lacks the interesting factor, TMA is pretty good, and Eskew is good to listen but not to doze off - too creepy and gives me bad dreams :ohdear:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

New Leaf posted:

Did you listen to The White Vault? That was pretty awesome.

Does it get better later on? I listened to 2 episodes and didn't like all of the characters

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

If it's the one guy who sounds like he's half asleep the whole time that bothers you, bad news.

The show has grown on me, eventually :D Too bad, it's kind of apparent from the premise that they will all die? It takes some tension away. Or, I think there was the icelandic guy in the auction mini-episode, does it happen prior or after the White Vault?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm going to kill the loving marketing manager making all my old dead feeds update with wolverine poo poo i couldn't give a hot gay gently caress about.

Why don't you print some stamps and send him mail like a normal person?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think I'm pleased where TMA is going. Martin is right, why the gently caress not? I wouldnt mind if there was some epic Metallica sound for obliteration. Unfortunately Metallica is so ligatious

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 9, 2020

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The last TMA was so good. Almost as good as the carousel

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Latest Nightvale episode was surprisingly scary.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

HIJK posted:

It really is a shame about The Black Tapes, Tanis, etc. I still go back and listen to the first seasons of those shows all the time. I haven't found anything that scratches the itch for a single narrator, strange ephemera, and a scary plot lurking in the background.

There is also the Last Movie if you didn't listen yet. Tanis also has the added bonus of being perfect to doze off to while also interesting enough to not feel like a waste of time.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tanis people suddenly started producing the second season of the Last Movie if anyone is interested.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. I genuinely do not understand why anyone who bounced off of Tanis (or any of the other podcasts by the same people) would even try one of their other ones at this point. It's crystal clear right now what you're gonna get with one of theirs and yet people still seem to think that yes, in season 2 of The Last Movie, a podcast with two of the main characters from Tanis and by the same people, that this season is the one where it's not going to be a hot loving mess of loose ends and Shyamalanian twists.

Why anyone would hate listen to a podcast they know they won't like when there's so much other media out there to consume instead is absolutely beyond me.

I genuinely like both Tanis and Last movie.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Weirdly enough I listen to it on my phone speaker no problem. My biggest problem there is that Carpenter and Faulkner sound really similar when they whisper or speak in certain tone of voice that my brain refuses to distinguish and checks out from dialogue sounding like nonsence. Something about Carpenter's accent too that makes my brain want to ignore whatever she is saying. I listened to 1st episode twice and still can't remember her origin story. Something about a brother, can someone spoil it for me pls?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So is Terry Miles and Nic Silver the same person? Nic seems like a fictional character but in Black Tapes credits they list them separately.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

New Rabbits is on if somebody is interested

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tweak posted:

I dont understand how Rabbits had a second season, and this is the third?

Its the second. And honestly only got that to promote this book he wrote.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I loved Leiners voice actor (I think its Sims' dad?), I wish there was more of him.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Found a really cool podcast (from the creators of Modes of thought) called The Imperfection. The story is a group of people who suffer from a rare neurological or psychiatric affliction which causes them to randomly hallucinate wildly suddenly found that their doctor dissapeared without a trace. Or was he erased from existance? By a conspiracy? Of robots?

This show is amazing, imagine a support group of certified mental patients (all very likable good people) running around New York investigating a mad conspiracy while very aware that their findings might just be utter hallucination, corraborate with one another. And the whole thing is very uplifting so far, often hilarious.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Station 151, antarctic not arctic show but well put and presentented
Tales of low city - must listen, calm description of various species and societies who dwell in underground city when the surface is poisoned
The Madness of Chartrulean - an epic scifi tale of not sure, gods, superhumans and overwhelming sound design.

Pls post more for insomniacs who need a narrative but calm thing to drift off to

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Well, Terry Miles suddenly announced the release of his new audiobook sequel to Rabbits that he wrote for some reason. Also, there will be 2 more seasons of Tanis and 1 more season of Rabbits (again, why??). Anyway I don't care about Rabbits anything but don't mind dosing off gently to more Tanis.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Only the Black Tapes and season 1 of Rabbits had a conclusion. As for Tanis, I don't want a conclusion, I'm fine with this continuing forever without any ending

E: Probably posted before but still fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13UVN1CP-08

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

In terms of comedy:

Beef and Dairy network Podcast. Funnier than it has any right to be but around episode 50, I feel like the author is slowly going insane about beef.
St. Elwick's Neighbourhood Association Newsletter Podcast. Feels similar to beef and dairy podcast except not obsessed with beef

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sims voiced the narrator in a game called Slay the princess. Never heard of it before but seems pretty cool

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, it's good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Hey in better(?) news, Terry Miles has a feature film coming https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015371/ staring Felicity Smoak as calamity jane, and Oliver Queen as Wild Bill...

It's television for your eyes!