Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

So I'm hearing that I Am in Eskew is the first horror podcast to really measure up to the Magnus Archives. Haven't tried it yet but here's the website

https://www.iamineskew.com/

Lovecraftian elements like Magnus, but focuses more on the madness aspect.

Also hearing 1st episode isn't that great but it picks up a lot after that.

Hey, that’s mine!

I definitely don’t think it measures up to Magnus (for one thing, it’s mostly just me writing, narrating and editing on the weekends, which creates a lot of amateur-hour limitations and learning-as-I-go) but it’s really cheering to hear some people are enjoying it, so thanks for sharing!

And yeah, Episode 1 isn’t a great start - it’s overlong and the actual horror is conceptually clunky. I think 3 & 4 are pretty good and representative of what I’m going for, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

10thAvenue posted:

Thanks for the Skinner rec, I will def check that out. Also, wanted to get opinions on a few podcasts. I've seen good ratings for them, but they look like they might be episodic, and I just can't do anything that doesn't have a strong overarching plot. I thought I'd double check since I loved TMA and it appeared episodic at first so I'd hate to miss out on something good due to impatience. Anyway, it's these three: Midnight Burger; The Town Whispers; and Nowhere, On Air.

Town Whispers is initially episodic horror stories that eventually develop more of a serial focus, a la Old Gods. I haven't listened to much Nowhere, On Air but I remember it being fairly strongly episodical at first in the Night Vale community-radio vein.

Midnight Burger has some adventure-of-the-week vibes but it's pretty straightforwardly narrative-driven so might be the safest bet given what you've said?

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The host actually runs the whole thing as a Call of Cthulhu-derived CYOA on his Patreon (which is an incredibly smart idea, I think) so those noises are meant to indicate the various decision-making breaks.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mix. posted:

Is it bad I feel a little wistfully sad for what felt like the golden age for audio drama? my podcatcher updated recently and a lot of old stuff I'd listened to apparently was never archived so they got marked as unread, so I spent a lot of my lunch cleaning it up but it led me to be sorting through old audio dramas from like. 2015-2019. and it just kinda struck me how different the scene feels these days compared to back then, and how it feels like there's not as much of a public-facing community anymore. just, stuff like archive 81, bright sessions, dreamboy, ars paradoxica, king falls am, the bridge, return home, station blue, and so on and so on and so on. idk, it just kinda feels like... like the community's a bit more splintered now, and we don't really have as much discussion about audio drama here or on twitter or whatever. even pods like tuned in dialed up aren't a thing anymore. not even getting into podcasts that seem to be abandoned that probably dont have many subs anymore like jisko, lucyd, the infinite now, childish, the glass appeal, the beacon, etc - it feels weird to look at a podcast i never listened to the season 2 of and wonder if i should even bother when the social media hasn't updated since 2019 even though a season 3 was supposedly in production.

i dunno. it feels like something uniquely audio drama/podcast tied because with stuff like video games, most of them are released and thats it, the game exists. webcomics update at such a slow continuous pace that a break or hiatus doesn't really register as much because it's the kind of story you just expect to have gaps like that (and some places like webtoon usually have a bulk of updates pre-prepared specifically to ensure the story finishes), but it feels a lot more common for a lot of audio dramas to just peter out or never return because a lot of them are uploaded as they're made lol.

I think besides what's been said:

Some of the most successful indie creators from that time are still very much around, but they've been effectively dispersed by their own success. So Lauren Shippen of the Bright Sessions has worked on the Stranger Things spin-off show, Gabriel Urbina consulted on Spotify's Case 63, Mac Rogers did Quiet Part Loud - you've got some very talented independent artists who've gotten mainstream work off the back of their creations, which is fantastic, but given that this mainstream work has often been huge companies nervously dipping their toes into the water of audiodrama and then hurriedly backing away (and shows that get a huge amount of press at the time but not necessarily a ton of staying power and discussion beyond that), you wonder if the long-term effect is going to be to tie these creators up in cancelled opportunities and dropped season 2s.

When it comes to community, it's an odd situation. I don't think you can firmly declare the medium on the wane (WTNV and Old Gods are doing packed-out national tours; if you want to look online, the big vocal audience share is probably on tumblr these days, where you've got daily Magnus Archive fanart churning out years after the show ended) but it's definitely become more saturated and scattered.

New shows frequently take time to improve, and these days they're competing against the big-budget productions and an increasingly huge backlog of 'classics' alike, so I suspect it's become much harder to try and push through the initial invisibility and build an audience. (And then we end up with more reliance on upfront crowdfunding even from established audiodrama-makers, which has the knock-on effect of encouraging shorter seasons and one-and-done creations like Unseen rather than sustainable productions that can go on for years at a time and really develop a groundswell.)

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Droyer posted:

The Magnus Protocol released a trailer about 2 weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN-2bTAYrlg

First episode is out on their Patreon, I believe.