Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
At this point I'd really rather have podcasts just use straight ad audio from the company, like a radio ad.

Blue Apron is not sweeping the nation's podcasters and all their friends and family with meals like roasted lemon pork butt with salt cod and rosemary turmeric.

I also wish some other loving people would sponsor podcasts, like at this point who the gently caress listens to podcasts and hasn't heard of poo poo like audible or blue apron or that loving razor company?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm surprised at the hate Nosleep gets here! I kinda dig the amateur-hour style. It really feels like just sitting around telling ghost stories, which is nice given how most horror podcasts go these days. I've bought each season pass since 3 when it started and never regretted it. Yeah, David Cummings is no voice actor (emphasis on "actor") but he's fine for introing/narrating/being a goofy spooky grandpa.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The recent ep about Jonathan’s first run in with a Leitner book really made my skin crawl.

RE: David Cummings I agree he works much better as “crypt keeper” than actual narrator, but he seems like a really nice, enthusiastic guy and to his credit, he’s managed to make podcasting a full-time gig without pausing three times an episode to hock undies, and he churns out the podcast reliably every week, on schedule. I’ve been listening since season 3 and his brother’s passing was the ONLY time he ever missed a scheduled release.

Honestly the timetable contributes to the variable story quality imo. There just aren’t that many quality amateur horror stories being written every week.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do people recommend sticking with Archive 81 then? I started it recently and the first bit of season 2 was so massively different and seemingly stupider that I just stopped.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

New Leaf posted:

Not for a while. Jeffrey took over the openings for a few episodes but its back to Joseph now. I'm still a big fan of Night Vale as it was the podcast that got me into podcasts in general - fictional and non-fiction. I've been to all their live shows since I started listening, and I was just at their show in Durham, NC and Symphony Sanders was taking photos of the auditorium before the show and we got to say hello and my friend got a selfie with her. Their live shows usually inject a bit more humor and theatrics.

I saw and liked a live show in Montreal but hoo boy they seem to be leaning more and more into the “look we are so cute and wacky and ps progressive” thing. Admittedly I last listened to the first half of the two part “LOOK ITS TAMIKA FLYNN SO BADASS REMEMBER?” episode if I think last year, and am also a gay who does not live in the fun wacky bubble that Fink and Cecil seem to reside in when they get ANGRY so idfk.

It seemed to be leaning more and more into the “hey it’s me, gimmick character, here for my fifteenth appearance to be soooo ready to tell you a verbose message. Buy our book. PS im the faceless old lady remeber when I was funny?”

E: also ashamed to say I have a signed copy of the first night vale book and it reads like a Series of Unfortunate Events book except it doesn’t clarify that it’s aimed at 12-year-olds

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Oct 24, 2018