Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i know it got mixed reactions but i'd consider ars paradoxica a consideration if nothing else if time travel/alternate history stories are something you like

some other ones that are fun but have varying opinions are goofy sci fi ADs like eos 10, startripper, and penumbra podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They've basically expanded it to be a podcast network rather than just a single studio- it's a networking thing that lets creators who aren't a part of Rusty Quill the company still get access to distribution, marketing, and advertising benefits. Basically it'll help creators/smaller studios get a leg up on getting more ears/eyes on their own audio dramas, and they've said that they plan to do 'waves' of these partnerships that will usually have some kind of thematic connection; first 'wave' was all cosmic horror/mystery/found footage stuff (Deca Tapes, Old Gods of Appalachia, Storage Papers, etc), and the second leans more into weird fiction, more action-y horror, etc (Eskew, Slit Verses, We're Alive, Town Whispers, etc)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Deca Tapes was neat but it ended up not being what I thought it was going to be. But what it was (a found footage series of recordings documenting what happened to ten people locked into an enclosed, isolated space together, and how their social dynamic progresses as time passes) was still pretty interesting, and I don't regret listening to it. (...there was apparently a spinoff series that was patreon only so I never listened to it)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

They apparently do want to do an actual season 2, which I'm intrigued by because I literally have no idea what they'd do for it

this reminds me I really need to get caught up on Project Nova, which had a similar 'a handful of people wake up in an unfamiliar space and have to adjust to living there' vibe but nailed the tone better imo

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

its not a comedy podcast but I've been listening to How I Died recently and it's pretty decent, though obviously never going to compete with stuff like Pushing Daisies. It's kind of interesting to have a more straightforward portrayal of 'guy who works with dead bodies that can see ghosts', if nothing else.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

From my understanding a solid chunk of the rumors originate from a weird group of people pissed because they dont think RQ "deserves" the fanbase or whatever, there was an issue a couple years ago where they jumped on Mr Sims for misspeaking about something and acting like this was "proof he was bad the entire time and people are gullible" and then he just. apologized. and never did it again. so all the poo poo they tried to rile up just didn't happen.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Len posted:

It's been a long time since I've listened to the early Amelia Archives episodes. Does anyone know what the transphobic trope in episode 1 was that caused them to pull it down? Apparently it's going to be reworked and reposted but I don't know when it was pulled originally

if you're talking Amelia Project, the episode ends with the client saying she wants her new life to be as a man, not for any kind of gender affirmation reasons, but purely so she can seduce her husband's new wife. It's played for comedy but it feels kind of weird when set against the fact that aside from that the creators/show have for the most part been really positive/supportive, so I imagine it's a case of really early writing that just aged terribly/they didn't realize how it came across at the time (esp if they're rewriting it to cut that out)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I use Pocket Casts; the desktop version seems to let you do incremental speeds so you could easily do within that threshold, but I'm not sure if the mobile app has a similar ability.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

You might like Spines, which is about a person waking up post-ritual (in the middle of the messy, bloody remains of said ritual) and having to reverse figure out exactly what happened to everyone else who participated in the ritual (by hunting them down) while a slowly expanding surrealist horror setting develops as weirder and weirder things begin altering reality.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ChaosReaper posted:

Watching Archive 81 made me remember a horror podcast I used to listen to that for the life of me I can't remember but I'm hoping someone here will. The basis of it seemed to be using the eyes of dead people to view whatever killed them. It usually involved unexplainable things or demons but had a twist ending that tried to explain that in normal terms. I thought it was the Magnus Archives but reading into that doesn't seem to match up. I remember it being pretty interesting and would like to pick it back up again so I'm hoping someone can decipher it from my vague rear end memories.

I actually think I might know this one, was it Darkest Night? I remember it being really campy but in a way that was still compelling, and the framing narrative was using some kind of device to witness the events of the deceased in some manner, so it might've been that. If so, it's still a fun listen but, uh, just don't expect it to resolve in a satisfactory way :smith:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, they used that really fancy recording mic in the shape of a head to give full 360 degree soundscaping. It actually worked pretty good from what I remember.

And what I mean by that is mostly the ending is a bit rushed, it feels like it's building up to another big thing but then everything suddenly gets "resolved" in a final episode even though season 3 didn't really have any signs of being a final season before that point. It's still worth a listen imo if you like campy horror

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/TheRustyQuill/status/1580574078129164289?s=20&t=uQ0uM69zhNuwXuKVvfqYGw

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Yeah, if it's set in the same world but a completely different plotline I'd be on board. (Or even if they decide to go wild with it and it's a different Magnus in a different reality altogether)

They've definitely earned enough of my trust to hear them out on this, at least.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ok, well, this is awkward, i was about to post in the thread about an AD i listened to today that I really enjoyed and was excited for S2 of only to poke my head into their twitter to find out literally a few days ago the creators apparently split and the show won't be continuing. I'm still gonna recommend it bc it was a fun listen and it's just gonna have to be a Dreamboy/King Falls AM situation I guess, but, that sucks. :eng99:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

SaintFu posted:

Wait, there’s not going to be a second season of Echoes In Between? After that loving ending?

Now I’m angry all over again.

E: And I just voted for them in the Audio Verse Awards this afternoon. gently caress.

it definitely, uh, does not seem to be an amicable split, the one still posting on the account basically said she had no say in it and was blindsided by the other guy leaving so its absolutely not intentional (and she's said she may try to find a way to continue the story down the line but it would feel weird to recast him)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

SaintFu posted:

From the Q&A episode they did, it sounded like he was doing the editing, as well as the sound design and the music. I wonder if he got a better paying gig that precluded him doing the podcast.

it sounded a lot closer to 'something interpersonal happened that resulted in our friendship breaking apart', but I didn't really dig too deep because it felt really personal and it's not my place :shrug:

won't be the first audio drama with a cool setup that never comes back, definitely won't be the last, but still, drat. you hate to see it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've only just now started listening to Greater Boston and while I'm enjoying it so far I really, really should not have started right after playing pokemon scarlet because literally any time the character Leon speaks I immediately picture him as Larry

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Is it bad I feel a little wistfully sad for what felt like the golden age for audio drama? my podcatcher updated recently and a lot of old stuff I'd listened to apparently was never archived so they got marked as unread, so I spent a lot of my lunch cleaning it up but it led me to be sorting through old audio dramas from like. 2015-2019. and it just kinda struck me how different the scene feels these days compared to back then, and how it feels like there's not as much of a public-facing community anymore. just, stuff like archive 81, bright sessions, dreamboy, ars paradoxica, king falls am, the bridge, return home, station blue, and so on and so on and so on. idk, it just kinda feels like... like the community's a bit more splintered now, and we don't really have as much discussion about audio drama here or on twitter or whatever. even pods like tuned in dialed up aren't a thing anymore. not even getting into podcasts that seem to be abandoned that probably dont have many subs anymore like jisko, lucyd, the infinite now, childish, the glass appeal, the beacon, etc - it feels weird to look at a podcast i never listened to the season 2 of and wonder if i should even bother when the social media hasn't updated since 2019 even though a season 3 was supposedly in production.

i dunno. it feels like something uniquely audio drama/podcast tied because with stuff like video games, most of them are released and thats it, the game exists. webcomics update at such a slow continuous pace that a break or hiatus doesn't really register as much because it's the kind of story you just expect to have gaps like that (and some places like webtoon usually have a bulk of updates pre-prepared specifically to ensure the story finishes), but it feels a lot more common for a lot of audio dramas to just peter out or never return because a lot of them are uploaded as they're made lol.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Len posted:

I'm gonna guess lake clarity?

actually it was one called red rhino that i have just remembered actually stopped MID SEASON TWO and has not updated for three years now lmao :psyduck: (edit: apparently the lead creator got hired to write for DC comics like young justice and tim drake so like. grats on the great job but like. maybe an announcement the podcast's done or something? lol)

but oh no lake clarity is one i hadn't started period so thats good to know I guess :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i've started listening to an audio drama called woe.begone and man. this is what rabbits should've been

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I didn't know there were two feeds to begin with so I couldn't tell you, is there a notable difference between them? :shrug:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Arrhythmia posted:

One has 166 episodes. The other has 18 and they're more uh, directly horror with episode descriptions like "lovely podcaster saws his arm off"

It's the one with 166.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

if you're against goofiness then this may not be your bag but spacetripper!! is loosey space opera poo poo, it's about a guy who quits his job and sells all his poo poo to buy a spaceship and determines to odd-jobs finance his way around the galaxy while recording everything that happens as an interstellar podcast, but each episode for the most part is self-contained adventures and the throughline is just him networking and occasionally calling back to old friends from past planets

there's also we fix space junk, which is about space repair workers who are basically indentured to a planet-size corporation called automnicon which sends them to do repair jobs to slowly pay off the debts that put them into indentured servitude in the first place. very dry humor but it gradually builds out its story and world in a compelling way

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah goofy maybe isnt the right word for spacetripper, it's just very earnest in a way that can be jarring. the protagonist is basically the equivalent of a golden retriever in that he is basically permanently smiling whenever possible and every new planet is just as thrilling to him because he's just that jazzed about getting to travel in space

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The Tanis will continue until morale improves

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

so i finally got around to listening to Unseen and while I knew going in it was going to be an anthology I probably shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for it to have more connective tissue than it ended up having. i liked the world and some of the concepts but it just felt really disjointed at parts and i found myself wishing that we'd met some of these characters across a more direct plot throughline rather than bouncing between concepts like pinball lol

not sure im gonna give the holiday specials a listen tbh, the quality itself is obviously stellar but idk. i like longform stuff more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Like, I liked Zero Hours, but the way it was set up still felt like a compelling story from start to finish in the vein of stuff like, of all comparisons, Live a Live.

But this felt like I was only able to look through a small hole into a room that admittedly was very vibrant and compelling, but I couldn't stop feeling like the best view of the room was out of my line of sight