Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

theblackw0lf posted:

In regards to the audio quality, the success of their patreon has enabled them to get a new studio, so the recordings should start sounding better.
There's a TV series deal coming out of this for the creators, mark my words

Arrhythmia posted:

I just got to the part of Wolf 359 where they decided to tell a story instead of being goofy space time and this poo poo is tasty
When would you say that part begins? I listened to ep 20? 30? or so some time ago, and the wackiness never seemed to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Season 3 is probably the best podcasting out there right now. They decided to focus on a completely different story and it's been fantastic.

e: The principal actors are better than they were in previous seasons, it's far more creative and original than the original "Black Tapes / Magnus Archives but in a slightly different setting", the writing is more human and has more emotion, like pick an axis on which you think it failed before and now it's succeeding.
Does it have wacky dialogue between the protagonist and a feral mouse?

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

ketchup vs catsup posted:

How long does wolf 359 take to get better? I’m 7 episodes deep and the ‘comedy’ is terrible.
this was a few years back but I remember going about 20-30 eps deep and the lovely comedy never went away. Yes they did introduce a grimdark story to actually connect episodes into some kind of narrative but they never stopped trying to keep up the comedy, thus finally dooming the whole show. Serious stories with macabre themes (if memory serves) do NOT mesh with slapstick comedy, ever.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

Fil5000 posted:

I love that RQ is unapologetically lefty and progressive.
Leftist how? MA is the only one of theirs I’ve listened listened to at length, and I can’t think of any instances of them portraying, let alone advocating leftist values. The only exception I can think of is their representation of LGBTQ people, which I will agree is more a left position than right.

Also their portrayal of the ugliness of war in more than one episode could arguably be construed as leftist but that’s a bit of a reach.

Not trying to start a massive derail, just curious, because I have a hunch you may well be correct about this but I can’t put my finger on it.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

boo_radley posted:

Trauma-core panic-fest podcast Vast Horizon
Can someone explain to me why the producers felt it necessary to have the lead actor deliver so many lines in chinese? At first I thought it was to point out that she comes from a bilingual society, but then it seemed that no, actually that's just what they speak where she's from. So... why do we need to be reminded of that several times per episode?

On the same note, why the hell did the helper AI back home (the chirpy tea assistant) have a borderline offensive caricature of a Chinese accent while speaking exclusively English? Nobody else did.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I found some of the early statements really loving creepy and unsettling. It's not like, scare you out of your wits horror but it's there, and that's what I used to love about it. It felt like subtle creepypasta done well. No other podcast does that. Such a shame really.
Walking away from a series that’s lost its way is a skill that develops with practice. It’s quite satisfying really, thinking of all those hours not spent resentfully reading/watching/listening to something that’ll never be the way it was. Use that time to find something actually worthwhile for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

The number of ads they've put into the backlog of Magnus episodes is loving off the chain. I counted 4 before they started reading patreon subscribers.
Too right.

One of these ads got me to listen to the trailer and part of the first episode of The Town Whispers. The narrator makes the classic amateur mistake of thinking he has to enunciate every line like he's casting a dire curse on the fools who meddled with his great work. It's not spooky, it's embarrassing. I noticed a bit of the same with the writing. Too florid, not every noun needs to be modified with an adjective or adverb.

Does anyone know if it gets better? Should I give it another chance?