Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Meinberg posted:

King Falls is one of those shows that I really like but I can’t really explain why. The pieces don’t really work for me, but somehow the totality does. I think the basic premise works well, and the two leads have decent chemistry which helps a lot, but beyond that, I really have no idea.

Yeah, I have a ton of time for King Falls, although I do think they got really bogged down in the Emily/Greg/Ben storyline for WAY too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Yes but it goes on haitus for months at a time to come up with their next ultra short season that's mostly Nic recapping things, repeating what everyone says, talking really slowly, and peddling Bombas Socks.

I reckon if you took out the recaps, ads, stock intro and outtro and THE INTERMINABLE SILENCES you'd be left with maybe five minutes of new stuff per twenty minute episode.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I'm pumped for Tanis to come back so we can learn that Rasputin is actually just a salesman for bombas socks.

Did you say..... bombas socks?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

It's Helen Gould. She voices Azu in the Rusty Quill Gaming podcast.

Helen is awesome, so more Helen is always good, but given how she reacts to Alex's monstrous DMing I think the Magnus universe might kill her.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I somehow missed it as well, been wondering where my goddamn early patreon access has been for the last couple of weeks. Oh well, back soon.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

vortmax posted:

People still listen to Tanis!? :aaa:

I thought they said tennis.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, by episode 30 you should hopefully have spotted a few threads but it becomes a lot more explicit in the last four or five episodes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm looking forward to the wacky hijinks sitcom Magnus Archives spinoff of a bunch of fire cultists trying to raise their messiah.

Everyone will be quoting Arthur Nolan's famous catchphrase "For gently caress's sake Diego!" at work tomorrow.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

She’s a psychic guinea pig with a hollow skull. MAG 69 is her first mention, and it’s a very nice episode

Yeah it took me a while to remember who she was because god drat that episode was nasty despite being nice.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, I can see how you could go from liking Magnus in the early episodes to having had enough by now. It's kind of following the same trajectory as The X-Files did (although personally I think it's a LOT more coherent than the X-files was) in moving from episode of the week with a small core cast and some breadcrumbs to indicate some things might be connected, to being 100% metaplot focused with a much bigger supporting cast and multiple antagonists all with their own agenda. Last episode specifically, Annabelle Cane has only been named in a single episode about 80 back so unless you've got a good memory or you've recently done a binge listen there's a good chance you wouldn't remember her story.

edit: ^^^^ Yeah, but I guess in a TV show of that length you'd get a recap of the salient points at the start of the episode if they dropped a character from two seasons back into the episode as a main focus.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Droyer posted:

TBF Even if not by name Annabelle has come up twice before this season. It's also not really necessary to know every detail of her history. The only part that's really important for the latest ep is that she's web-aligned, and the web has been a recurring theme this whole season.

I'm personally fine with how the show is presenting itself, I'm just saying I can appreciate why when a character comes up and has an evident history people might feel confused if they can't remember them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

Assuming, of course, that they are not stricken by whatever terrible curse compels pacific north west to keep revisiting their old poo poo.

I think the issue with that is that PNW didn't actually have an end in mind when they started... anything. Jonny Sims has had a beginning, middle and end in mind for Magnus since the start, and concieved it as a five year run, so even if they DO go back to the well at some point it should actually have a conclusion.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

New Leaf posted:

I wonder how these ideas about how characters look spawn. I've seen a lot of Magnus fan art that have Jon as darker skinned like that. Same with Cecil on Night Vale, a lot of fan art has him as blonde with an eye tattoo on his forehead and even the creators don't know where that came from since they've never commented on his appearance, it just kinda happened within the fandom somehow.

Also, are those like.. scars or something in the first couple panels? Those are before he's wet so it isn't water.

I think Jon, Tim and Martin canonically have some scars following the events of the end of season 1.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HIJK posted:

The first season of Tanis is really good even if it still has some dumb confusing elements. But it’s relatively focused, Nic gets kicked around repeatedly in his search, you get really nice creepy stories and then it ends on a great cliffhanger.

The people willing to finance perpetual myth arcs with no resolution is super disappointing, and its even more disappointing that Tanis is stretched out like that by the creator. It could have gone somewhere.

Yeah, Tanis season one seemed like they'd learned the lesson from The Black Tapes that you should probably have some sort of end point at least vaguely in mind. And then the rest of the seasons happened.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jurgan posted:

[My therapist] just knows I’m in an awful contract situation at a job I hate. She thinks I work for the Tories.” :lol:

I love that RQ is unapologetically lefty and progressive.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Droyer posted:

There are a bunch of shots taken at the Tories, Britain's right-wing party

That's part of it, yeah, plus the LGBT stuff as mentioned. There was something in a recent Magnus episode that took a massive pop at landlords at the end if I remember correctly but I can't cite the episode specifically. I might be conflating what's actually in the episodes with how the RQ Discord is and how the various RQ people are on Twitter and such.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

Jon complains constantly early on about what a terrible and unskilled archivist Gertrude was, though by now I'd say that was entirely deliberate on her part.

I'm pretty sure they've explicitly said that was the case.

God I love how she's gone from being mentioned in passing as some doddering buffoon who doesn't know how to file things properly to a stone cold badass who stared down the avatars of fear and kept the world from being turned into hell. She was the Batman of the archival stacks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I recently joined TMA patreon because goddamn. Anyway, they put up a video of John getting a package in the mail. A fan printed out all the transcripts from season one, bound a real leather book, put the pages in, and made a From The Leitner Library badge on it. It's unbelievable and they are so taken aback and impressed it makes me appreciate how much they appreciate us.

Rusty Quill have been super good about community interaction from day one. Alex was on the BBC's podcast radio hour talking about it a few months back, it was pretty interesting.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Any chance you have a link?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004xw6

Based on the description it should be this one. No idea if it's available outside of the BBC sounds ecosystem though.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Marc of 81 tweets pretty regularly that they are working on stuff. Not sure of what or schedule, but they keep a pretty steady release.

Magnus season 4 Q+A is up. They are so humble and truly love this project and it just makes me love them so much more.

I love how anxious they clearly were about the end of season 4. Also the answer they gave about not changing your mystery just because someone's figured it out. Also Alex's weariness when talking about the soundscaping.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

"If you've figured it out, we did good forshadowing" amen.

And as a hobbyist sound designer, I can't even begin to imagine how hard he must work.

"Also I forgot to mention there's a brass band playing throughout"
"Oh come on I never did that"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Elias is horrosexual.

Peter Lukas is an obligate onanist.

Jared Hopworth can bone like no other.

Gerard Keay was a skin(flute).

John Amherst likes it dirty.

Agnes Montague likes it hot.

Manuela Dominguez will only do it in the dark.

Annabelle Cane can't get off unless everyone else is tied up

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Oh maybe I misheard, I thought they were implying they had established everyone and covered the whole spectrum somehow because Johnny said something about there already being plenty of straight people in media. Granted I was listening while working so I might have missed something..

I didn't parse Martin's attraction until they outright said it. I always assumed it was a bromance/brothers-in-arms kind of thing.

The question asker said something like "did you deliberately make every character some form of queer" and they didn't correct them so while I don't think they've *specifically* or overtly done it, it seems from their response that they have.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Farg posted:

The beginning of every single episode and it NEVER matters and is immediately forgotten

How much of each episode is recapping events from previous ones? I swear to god at one point I was sure that each 20 minute episode had maybe 5 minutes of actual new stuff in it once they'd played the title music, done the disclaimer about listening to all the other episodes first, had a bunch of 30 second long silences, trailed what was going to happen in the episode and recapped previous weeks in case you'd ignored them telling you to go and listen to the other episodes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think it's Acast that puts the targeted ads in there. I guess it's good but it gets really creepy when I get one for a car dealership that specifically mentions their branch in my home city

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

Dear God (Magnus 200) They loving landed it.

Yup.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

^

Like come on dude it's been like two hours. Spoiler tags.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sab Sabbington posted:

Just holy poo poo.

There was so much weight to every single line in the episode. Just blows my mind how much that gave me everything I'd want out of the ending and more packed into ~23 minutes. No idea how Sims managed to culminate so many of the show's themes into that amount of time and manage satisfying conclusions for the characters while he did it, but I'm extremely here for it.

It feels so weird to actually be satisfied with the ending to a huge long-running series, god drat.

I think it's what happens when you have the end in mind when you start it. And also you avoid the temptation to keep going after you've actually wrapped everything up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Droyer posted:

They did say there was gonna be more content, but I assume it's gonna be like, Q&As or something.

Yeah, I assumed maybe some more third party non canon statements like they've done before, more q&as, that kind of thing. If they DO try and continue from where they've ended it I'll be both surprised and disappointed.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

sad question posted:

Anyone checked out new season of BBC's Lovecraft podcast?

Is there a new one? Last one I heard was Innsmouth and that was like six months ago

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HIJK posted:

Trepidation.....

I know Nic Silver has been continuing with his podcasting, has there been any appreciable changes in quality?

I was stunned at this question. I had to go back and recap three previous episodes to even attempt to answer it. Then I had an exchange with another character where I repeated everything they said to me but with a question mark on the end. Buy bombas socks.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Tanis seems like it wanted to follow the Lost model of multiple layers of narrative driven by a Mcguffin, but they didn't have time to write as much actual plot as they needed so it just keeps recapping things and dragging conversations out to fill an arbitrary run time. I wouldn't be surprised to find that each episode only has aboht 20% new content.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Len posted:

i got through season 1 today, they return to those dangling plots right? like season two isn't just a AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT moment right?

The seasons all link together, yeah. They work a bunch of Lovecraft stories under their overarching premise.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sab Sabbington posted:

As far as I can tell at the moment it's a couple missteps of varying sizes that drew a lot of attention when their discord mod team quit en masse due to a lack of support from the company after the fanbase rapidly grew a few magnitudes larger. lovely in a corporate way, but not like sex pest lovely.

At the same time though there's some allegations being directed towards some particular employee of being racist, ableist, and transphobic, but as of last night I literally couldn't find any specifics re: who they were talking about or the things they did. I have no doubt there's a lot of truth to it given how constantly that poo poo turns out to be right, but otherwise no idea what's going on there.

They've had the odd blip like this in the past - like, there was one occasion where one of their streamers tweeted "all lives matter" and was promptly suspended without pay and given training on why, you know, don't do that.

It seems like the throes of a company that was started by friends and grew really fast rather than something more sinister.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Also I guess they're basically mothballing the magnus feed now and adding no new content so they probably figure they may as well throw more ads in.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

Show seems to leave behind a lot of the awkward humor that really endeared me to the podcast. It’s well made but so find myself missing some elements of the overall feel of the podcast.

Yeah I'm missing something in the tone. And I'm missing Sponsorbot

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Mix. posted:

the ending is a bit rushed, it feels like it's building up to another big thing but then everything suddenly gets "resolved" in a final episode even though season 3 didn't really have any signs of being a final season before that point.

We call that Terry Miles-ing

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ratatozsk posted:

What the hell are you talking about? Terry Miles has not finished a single goddamn thing in his life besides Rabbits, and he even managed to gently caress that up in the end.

I mean, the Black Tapes DID finish in literally the manner described by Mix; it's just that later they went "Oh no, that's not the end!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Watching The Midnight Club at the moment and it seems like the best way to do a Magnus show is to a) show the statements the same way this shows the stories the kids tell and b) give it to Mike Flanagan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, they made a ton of weird choices. My basic read is that they started with a vibe and tried to build a podcast out of it. It's pretty clear that they started not knowing what Tanis is and just tried to vibe their way to a good solution, which has failed for obvious reasons.

For both Tanis and the Black Tapes it definitely seems like they went the JJ Abrams mystery box method of writing, which is great if you want to keep a thing going forever but poo poo if you want a coherent narrative that resolves.