Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

At this point I'd really rather have podcasts just use straight ad audio from the company, like a radio ad.

Blue Apron is not sweeping the nation's podcasters and all their friends and family with meals like roasted lemon pork butt with salt cod and rosemary turmeric.

I also wish some other loving people would sponsor podcasts, like at this point who the gently caress listens to podcasts and hasn't heard of poo poo like audible or blue apron or that loving razor company?

It's not like corporations advertise on tv because they think nobody's heard of Busweiser either. They're just hoping that repeatedly driving their name into your head will get you to impulse buy at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Disliking the podcast is extremely problematic.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

You know I didn't say that, right?

Like Len said, the implication (at least) is there every time this subject comes up, and I was responding more to that in general than anything you said specifically, which is why I didn't quote you. I did think bringing out the big gun of saying someone was expressing internalized bigotry because they disagreed with you was a bit much though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

I don't know how many different ways I can say the exact same thing before it sinks in. I don't care if people dislike a podcast.. I care if they express that dislike in a way that is rude and condescending to people who do like it.

Edit: I just noticed that's the third post in a row where you misinterpret what I'm saying. Am I being trolled?

If you're getting trolled, it's only because you're continuing to take someone's opinion too personally, regardless of whether it's because someone doesn't like the podcast or someone thinks fans of the podcast have worse taste than them for continuing to like it. Someone disliking either a series you like or a fandom you're a part of isn't a personal attack on you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Out of all the sins an artist can commit, being thin skinned in responding to a critic seems like a pretty minor one. If you like the show, that's a silly reason to stop listening to it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jurgan posted:

I think it's a sign of atrophy of thought that can lead to problems with the writing itself. If a writer refuses to accept feedback, then they fall into their worst impulses and no one can pull them back. See: Lucas, George. Granted, your response to anonymous critics is not necessarily the same as your response to collaborators, but it's a bad sign.

Plenty of great art has been made by people telling everyone to gently caress off and disregarding dissenting opinions too though. George Lucas just happens to have been someone who needed collaborators to rein him in but didn't realize it. It's probably more common than the auteur who can pull off doing his own thing for sure, but assuming the work will suffer and ditching ahead of time while you still like it still seems weird to me.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to be respectful to backers?

Literally a "we're not accepting feedback at this time but appreciate the support" or similar would've been miles better.

If you're a backer and feel collectively disrespected or something I can see pulling your pledge if that bothered you, but if you're a free listener I still don't see why a snippy comment to someone is a big deal. I've never even listened to the show though, so I'm not going to defend them to the death for what was admittedly at least a bad PR move.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ugh, I'm mad at myself for not downloading them when I had the chance. Guess I can just cross that off my list.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I haven't listened to any audio dramas in a long time, mostly because my podcast listening is usually 15-20 minutes at a time and that can make it harder to absorb a narrative, but I listened to the first episode of I Am In Eskew today, and as soon as the central mystery of the episode got started I was completely hooked. That was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Silt Verses sounds awesome, so I'm definitely checking it out when I finish this one. As for Eskew, episode 2 wasn't as cool to me as the first episode, but episode 3 was insane.