Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013

Covski posted:

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3

825 games in the database, 52,4% win rate for white.

What's the Win% for Black and the Draw% in the database you're pulling from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
And how many games.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3 Nf6

775 games in the database, 53.5% win rate for white.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
What should be the plan for white here? This seems like the archetypal "I have no idea what I'm aiming for so I'll just shuffle pieces until something tactical comes up" situation.

White lost the bishop pair and has only one center pawn left. White has a small advantage in development and pretty much complete king safety even without castling. There's no tactics available.

Black has two center pawns to whites one, has no immediate problems and holds the bishop pair. Since black is behind in development, that is a priority. Moves such as e5, Be7 or g6, Bg7 are possible followed by castling. Then it's just a matter of finishing development with an eye towards opening up the position and turning it into a tactical knife-fight where bishops hold the advantage.

If the above is correct, it seems like white holds a temporary advantage that needs to be turned into a permanent one soon. The more time white wastes, the worse it's going to go.

Maybe castle, Be3, rooks to c1 and d1, prepare to push the c pawn?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I feel like you want to castle Q side, to get the rook into an immediate playing position, as a rook on F1 isn't doing anything. With that in mind, the bishop needs to move first. Unfortunately, given that the attacked square is D5, the bishop can't move anywhere to help the situation, and the best place to put it is Be3. I'll probably just do that first.

Banned King Urgoon
Mar 15, 2015

Hob_Gadling posted:

What should be the plan for white here? This seems like the archetypal "I have no idea what I'm aiming for so I'll just shuffle pieces until something tactical comes up" situation.

White lost the bishop pair and has only one center pawn left. White has a small advantage in development and pretty much complete king safety even without castling. There's no tactics available.

Black has two center pawns to whites one, has no immediate problems and holds the bishop pair. Since black is behind in development, that is a priority. Moves such as e5, Be7 or g6, Bg7 are possible followed by castling. Then it's just a matter of finishing development with an eye towards opening up the position and turning it into a tactical knife-fight where bishops hold the advantage.

If the above is correct, it seems like white holds a temporary advantage that needs to be turned into a permanent one soon. The more time white wastes, the worse it's going to go.

Maybe castle, Be3, rooks to c1 and d1, prepare to push the c pawn?

I'll add that White has a space advantage in the center and kingside due to the e4 pawn, but yes, your evaluation is spot on. This is the central theme in the Open Sicilian: White has the initiative, and they must use it to the fullest, because Black has the better pawn structure (and in this case, the bishop pair), which will be very good in the endgame — if Black isn't killed before then!

Now, the only thing left for White to do is develop the bishop and castle. The bishop should probably go to g5 (the most active square), so the only question left is, do you castle long or short? Well, if you remember that you should attack where you're strongest, the answer is easy: 8.Bg5 e6 9.O-O-O! White castles long so they can go all out on the kingside, where they have a space advantage. White will then look to break open Black's position with an eventual e5 or f4-f5 push.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Hob_Gadling posted:

The short version is keep pawns on the board while taking space, so as to make black bishops bad (incidentally, this is why c4 was probably a better move for white than Nc3). Black has no obvious weaknesses (one of the attractions of this line for Black), so white wants to use the space advantage to slowly marshall a good break. Depending on exactly how black sets up, white can try for a kingside attack with f4-f5, target the e7 pawn after playing e5, or, in the somewhat common situation that black plays a6, try to take advantage of black's weak queenside darksquares and create a passer there (or just stick a knight on b6).

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I like White's current line of thinking, does well to maintain the initiative and prevent black from profiting from their slightly exposed queen

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013

tarbrush posted:

I like White's current line of thinking, does well to maintain the initiative and prevent black from profiting from their slightly exposed queen

Hmmm personally I'd follow up Bg5 with e5. This allows Black to take with the queen if White goes for the exchange, maintaining the pawn structure, developing the queen, and f6 is not a position where it's easy to chase around. Plus you get a big advantage with your central pawns. If White opts to move the queen instead, Black can move the bishop to e7, breaking the pin.

Am I missing something?

Banned King Urgoon
Mar 15, 2015

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Hmmm personally I'd follow up Bg5 with e5. This allows Black to take with the queen if White goes for the exchange, maintaining the pawn structure, developing the queen, and f6 is not a position where it's easy to chase around. Plus you get a big advantage with your central pawns. If White opts to move the queen instead, Black can move the bishop to e7, breaking the pin.

Am I missing something?

...e5 creates a big weakness on d5, so it needs to be considered carefully — just ask Gadia!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm less bothered about the follow up, it's more the virtue of attacking with the bishop rather than ceding the initiative by castling.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Bg5

793 games in the database, 53.7% win rate for white.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Benach posted:

What's the Win% for Black and the Draw% in the database you're pulling from?

The database of the program I'm using to run the game (Tarrasch) consists of 967330 games, all played after the year 2000 and with players rated 2200 and above. Out of these, 332339 were wins for white, 242683 were wins for black, and 392224 were draws. A few hundred games don't have a listed winner, which muddles the statistics a bit.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
e6 seems a logical reply.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand e6. Why not e5 and Be7 to immediately break the self-created pin? Besides, white queen is stuck protecting e4 pawn which leaves her with only a few squares after you push.

Since opening up the position favors black (because bishop pair), immobilizing the lone pawn and attacking it seems like it should be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
You get left with a big ol' hole on d5. If white so chose, they could effectively eliminate the bishop pair immediately with Bxf6 and Nd5 (forcing a trade on that square), but more likely is to try and gang up on the d6 square first (probably with Rd1), which sticks black in a difficult bind.

e5 also, importantly, not only doesn't open the position but denies black a tool for opening the position since the d5 break is lost after Bxf6.

• Locked thread