Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
In this thread we will be playing a game you might have heard of. It's Chess:

Two teams of goons will face off against each other, while the observer thread mocks them provides insightful analysis and commentary, and hopefully picks up some new tricks in the process. The game will be run using Tarrasch, a pretty nifty freeware chess engine.

I'm aiming for getting a move done at least every 24 hours, or quicker when the flow of the game allows.

I'll be posting a bit about the basic concepts of chess tactics before the game starts, but if you're unsure about the rules of chess I'll refer you to this Wikipedia page, which does a better job of explaining them than I ever could. There will also be few semi-effort posts about Chess related things before the game begins. Note: I'd like to mention up front that I am by no means an expert player - I'm sure a lot of LP goons are sitting on some amazing chess knowledge, so feel free to correct me when I'm wrong or provide your own insights when I gloss over something!

Want to play?

For this first game (assuming there are enough people who want to play) I'd prefer to see teams of beginner to intermediate players to maximise the learning experience for everyone involved! I might run a higher skill level game after this if there is interest.

If you'd like to play, please post in the thread and rate your chess skill level on a scale of 1-10 (so I can divide you into roughly even teams), where 1 is "I know how the pieces move but might have to be reminded about how castling works", and 10 is "I have the basics of chess strategy down pretty decently. Ask me about en passant." If you feel you are way above ten on the scale, please stick around in the observer thread and watch and discuss for now! :)

Covski fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Art from the threads (yes, this chess LP has inspired fan art)

Want more chess?
If this thread doesn't provide enough chess in your life, I highly recommend you check out the free app Chess by Post! (Microsoft Store , Google Play, App Store)

It features both ranked matchmade games against random players at the same skill level, and unranked games with friends with full compatibility across all devices. It also has a very handy move planner, which probably is the main thing saving me from constantly blundering. It also has an extremely merciful time limit for games, which is nice.

Usernames of thread goons using the app (just let me know if you want to be added to this list!):

covski
idhrendur
excloudygh
circlmastr
fatsamurai
HisMajestyBOB
Livewire42
Leylite
Raldan
CascadeBeta
oath2order
TheMightyMoltres
schnibs
herpicle
alphakretin
cxp
moooo566

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 20, 2017

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm willing to join, I believe myself to have a skill of 10 but when I tried actually playing online it turns out I'm a 3.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Is it possible to be like, 0.5? I have to be reminded what the movement rules are constantly and I call the pieces names that are definitely not what they're actually called but this seems a fun way to learn!

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I was in chess club in school, but I was pretty drat bad at it. 3 make that 4, I remembered that I'm kind of okay at chess puzzles provided I only ever have to do one-move ones :v:.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 7, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Eh, why not! I'm a 2--I know how all the bits move, but strategy? Ehhhh...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I have chessed before, I know what terms you are talking about. But that was a long time ago. Eh, 6.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'd give myself a 1 personally. but should be interesting to see how this game goes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I know about the movements, but I haven't played Chess in such a long time that actual strategies and stuff are lost to me. So I guess 6?

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
I know a bit, but skill level would be 5 because I don't play to win, I play to enjoy myself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Joining as a 1. I know how the pieces move, but I couldn't name a single strategy.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Hurray, another Covski game thread! I will sign up this time. I used to play a bit with my brother when I was younger, and remember most of the rules, but I don't remember ever being particularly good. I would give myself maybe a 4.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Joining as a 2 or 3

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'd love to get in to chess. I played The Chessmaster 2000 BATTLE CHESS a lot as a kid, never really won a game, but I know how the pieces move and stuff. I'd risk saying i'm a 3 or 2 to fill the bracket but am fully prepared to lose a lot.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 10, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
2 Put me on whatever team needs another player. Obviously the teams are mittens vs. skins?

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
I used to be part of Chess Club, and whenever I play with friends and family I'm usually the winner - so, perhaps around an 8, given what other people have said before they claimed 6.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
3. Chess club at school, but did mediocrely at interscholastic tournaments, and this was nearly quarter of a century ago. I'm rusty, but I'm also the great-great-great-nephew of someone who was very, very good..

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

I would love to join as a 1. Up for both teams. Last time I played I got destroyed by a 6-year old so might wanna try to get at least decent

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm in, and probably about a 5. Hopefully I'll learn something from this.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'll but myself at about a 3 or 4. I know a little strategy but I kinda suck at making plays.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
As someone who was in chess club during high school, I am infinitely worse at chess than I am at Rock Paper Scissors, and I haven't played a proper game of it for years to boot. Even still, how could I possibly skip this thread after being involved in your last game? I'd rate myself 3 or 4, I'd like to think I'm decent at reacting to the present situation but bad at looking ahead, and of course looking ahead is where pretty much all the game actually is.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm just going to observe this time I think (and certainly not because I think I'm too good at chess!), but I'm excited to see another one of these threads unfold.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

I'm down for this. I'm probably 3

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
I'm definitely above that scale range, but looking forward to this. :munch:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another cool idea for a LP by Covski. RPS was a ton of fun, but I will be observing this time.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
On that scale I'm about an 8. I can beat children but not anyone my own age.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I'd say put me in as a 2. I can beat the computer opponent in Clubhouse Games at chess on my DS, so I guess I have that going for me?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
On the scale presented, I'm about 7. I know a bunch of chess strategy, but usually hurt myself attempting to implement any of it. I'm a very impulsive player, I often just go for moves that seem interesting over ones that are actually solid. Maybe I'll be paired with someone more level headed!

My personal chess hero is Mikhail Tal

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'm probably around a 7 in that I know chess strategy but I'm pretty bad at implementing it once I hit midgame & I struggle to see far enough ahead to not stumble into blunders.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Another cool idea for a LP by Covski. RPS was a ton of fun, but I will be observing this time.

:same:

I'm still recovering from getting my head chopped off. Best of luck to everyone signing up this time around though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
As the Goon with the most Let's Play: Paper Scissors Rock successes but also being god awful at chess I would like to sign up to see if I can continue my reign of terror.

I'd say I'm about a 3 as well.

Also Never Forget gently caress Crow

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

On the history of Chess

So, Chess is a pretty drat old game. It's roots can be traced back almost 1500 years, with the earliest known predecessor being the Indian game Chaturanga, back in the Gupta Empire of the 6th century. Even though games played on similar boards were way older, Chaturanga is the earliest known one to have pieces with different powers, being a battle simulation game where the pieces represented different branches of the military forces (infantry, cavalry, elephantry and chariotry) The move sets were mostly similar to those of modern chess pieces, although no pieces could move further than one or two squares. There are also theories that Chaturanga and other proto-chess games where played using dice to decide which piece was to be moved. Sounds fun!

The game spread from India to Persia (although the rules varied a lot from region to region), and reached widespread popularity after the Arab conquest of Persia. The name of chess in most languages is derived from the Persian word "shah", meaning "king", which was used the same way as "check" in modern chess when attacking the enemy king. In the same way, "check mate" derives from "shah mat", meaning "the king is helpless."

Around the year 1000, chess had spread into Europe through contact with the Arabian Empire, and became a prestigious pastime with the European nobility during the entire medieval period, depicted both in artworks (when not jousting snails and stuff like that) as well as literary metaphor, much like how sports terminology is used today. Even so, the game was controversial in periods, and attempts to ban it on moral and religious grounds were made in several countries.

It's worth noting that chess was still a super slow game at this point, with pieces able to move one or two squares at the most. Gradually, people realised that this was ridiculous and sought to adapt the rules for faster play.In many ways, early chess history reads like the patch notes of an early access game, with pieces being buffed (and sometimes subsequently nerfed) to improve the pace of gameplay. In fact, the basis of modern chess was originally a variant popular in Spain and Portugal, known as "Mad Queen's Chess", which became the main rule set in the late 1400's. It was also around this point that chess literature really starts taking off, with several treatises on chess theory being written. By the mid-1500's, chess in most of Europe was pretty much the same as the game we play today with the exception of a few details, such as white moving first and stalemate resulting in a draw which where added rather recently. Apparently, you also instantly lose in modern chess tournaments if your cellphone rings.

Despite all this time and effort thinking about the game, it would take a long while before the modern concept of competitive chess play came around. During the 1700's chess was regarded more as an art and a method of self-improvement than a theoretical exercise, with beautiful move combinations and daring sacrifices being the order of the day. This gradually changed, and the competitive scene started to form in the early 1800's with the appearance of chess clubs and the increasing popularity of correspondence chess. The first modern tournament was held in London 1851, and the view of chess as a sport was increasingly cemented as the theoretical understanding of positional play was formalised, mostly by the big nerd Steinitz, who also became the first chess world champion.

Given how long we have had a notation system for chess, it's quite interesting to see how chess theory has been constantly evolving over time, even though the same rules have been used for almost five hundred years. The latest (commonly accepted) big paradigm shift in chess was the advent of the so called hypermodern school of chess in the 1920's, mostly characterised by a more flexible way of thinking about the opening of the game. Since then, not much has changed in the fundamental way we play But who knows, maybe this game will be the next big leap forward for this super old game? :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I'd like to take part in this. I can move the pieces, but have no formal strategic knowledge whatsoever, so I'd say I'm a 2 to 3 on your scale.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Covski posted:

But who knows, maybe this game will be the next big leap forward for this super old game? :v:

The Nine-Gear Crow Gambit: Rook to E5, send a spy pawn into the enemy battle lines, start a revolution and flip the board; claiming victory out of the anarchy that spawns.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Covski posted:

But who knows, maybe this game will be the next big leap forward for this super old game? :v:

I can't wait to be the straw on the camel's back that finally causes the queen to get nerfed.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Oh hey this seems interesting.

I haven't touched chess in years, and even then I wasn't particularly good at it, so I guess put me as a 1.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I think I remember how to castle on Queen's side. 3.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
There's a nifty app where you can play against the current chess world champion Magnus Carlsen. I managed to beat him... at age 7 and a half. Barely.

I guess that puts me at about 7 and a half out of 10? I can contribute with lovely chess-related puns. I will rook no dissent on that. 7.5

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

I really like watching chess but hate playing chess, so I'm gonna enjoy observing the chaos :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

The Nine-Gear Crow Gambit: Rook to E5, send a spy pawn into the enemy battle lines, start a revolution and flip the board; claiming victory out of the anarchy that spawns.

Let's be honest here, if this LP doesn't end in a flipped table, we're all going to be sorely disappointed.

• Locked thread