Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aumanor posted:

So... What's the Black team's best answer to this? Nc6?

Bd7 is the main move these days, trying to force white to exchange bishops and then play some kind of dragon type position. If black plays Nc6, white will often end up exchanging on c6 and trying to play against black's damaged pawn structure, like in a Rossolimo. Against Nd7, white will try to take advantage of the traffic jam on d7, and create some favourable reduction where they take control of the centre before retreating the bishop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Only three possible moves, Nc6, Bd7 and Qd7, of which the latter is asking for trouble and the former are discussed above.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AJ_Impy posted:

Only three possible moves, Nc6, Bd7 and Qd7, of which the latter is asking for trouble and the former are discussed above.

Nd7 is also valid, but not as good as the others imo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Hand Knit posted:

... dragon type positio ... a Rossolimo ...
Slow down with the lingo, please.

Or explain it for the benefit of the audience. :haw:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

Slow down with the lingo, please.

Or explain it for the benefit of the audience. :haw:

The dragon is the sort of Sicilian that has a bishop fiachettoed on the kingside. It's usually pretty aggressive but this line, with the exchanges and letting white get in c4, tends to be much slower and more positional. This is kind of the basic tabiya, albeit from a different line so the light-squared bishops are still on the board. One of black's main problems in this kind of position is what to do with their light-squared bishop, which is currently chilling on d7 without an obvious future.

The Rossolimo is a fairly common way of trying to avoid the Sicilian mainlines (Anand and Gelfand played several games in it in their title match in 2012). A fairly common idea is that white will trade on c6 for the purpose of trying to fight for control of d4, and consequently the centre.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Interesting. Some on Black thread don't see using the knight as risking a trade.

Frionnel posted:

Yeah, the alternative is moving the bishop or the queen and risking a trade it seems? I'll go for Nb8-c6 too.

Pretty strong bandwagon effect. I wonder if that's unavoidable to a degree? Will anyone champion the bishop move?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

AJ_Impy posted:

Interesting. Some on Black thread don't see using the knight as risking a trade.

Pretty strong bandwagon effect. I wonder if that's unavoidable to a degree? Will anyone champion the bishop move?

Yeah, as the last game showed there's probably a significant bandwagon effect to this form of correspondence chess, and honestly in the interest of not having a complete repeat of the last fiasco of a game it's probably worth it to try and counteract this a bit.

The last black thread ought to have had a lot more discussion and input into ALL the options to avoid some of the most glaring mistakes that I and others made. While it's probably difficult to do this without guiding the players too strongly, can I suggest a mentor chime in and warn against bandwagoning a move without discussing alternatives?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Is that a bad trade for Black? I figured that keeping two bishops is an advantage.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

The last black thread ought to have had a lot more discussion and input into ALL the options to avoid some of the most glaring mistakes that I and others made. While it's probably difficult to do this without guiding the players too strongly, can I suggest a mentor chime in and warn against bandwagoning a move without discussing alternatives?

It would be nice if each side designated a "devil's advocate", maybe as a volunteer or in a rotation position, to argue the weaknesses of a move, or at least figure the best response from the opponent. Ideally every player would do this, but having it semi-formalized might help, since otherwise it could seem like a personal attack on the player suggesting the move.

In outside this game news, there's a pretty good chess tournament going on right now -- the FIDE World Cup, which will have semifinal matches later this week. The first-and-second place finishers will be contenders for the title of World Champion next year. Notably the current #1 player (Magnus Carlsen) got knocked out early. There was also a more shameful incident earlier on when a player was disqualified (in truth he ending up basically quitting the tournament in disgust) for wearing shorts -- the arbiter said he 'looked like a gypsy'.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kangra posted:

It would be nice if each side designated a "devil's advocate", maybe as a volunteer or in a rotation position, to argue the weaknesses of a move, or at least figure the best response from the opponent. Ideally every player would do this, but having it semi-formalized might help, since otherwise it could seem like a personal attack on the player suggesting the move.

Hm, it's almost like setting roles is a good idea. If only that'd been suggested during the previous game.

:suicide:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

HardDiskD posted:

I am on board with the Knight plan, but before I cast my vote, what about we do Bc8-c7 instead? It doesn't develop the board much, granted, but if they don't want to lose their bishop, they will have to retreat it.

Speak of the devil's advocate... :D

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think the bandwagon effect is there but I think it's up to the teams to handle that. Nc6 is perfectly workable move, especially in a beginner game.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

Nidoking posted:

Chess AI stuff

This is a great post, I'll be posting it in the threads a little later once players are less overwhelmed with learning the basics! :)

I also suggested to the teams to spend a bit more time discussing alternatives to their favourite moves - while I agree that it's mostly up to the teams to deal with bandwagoning issues, it's probably good learning experience to consider as many lines as possible to get used to the basic opening ideas.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think the bandwagon effect is there but I think it's up to the teams to handle that. Nc6 is perfectly workable move, especially in a beginner game.

In the St Louis Blitz and Rapid this year, they played the Moscow opening a few times and Nc6 seems to be the only response out of the sane ones that wasn't used.

That could be because 10 moves down the line it's slightly positionally worse in the way that a grand-master doesn't like, or it could be "out of fashion" which is a very real thing in high level chess.

Either-way at this level, who cares.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

algebra testes posted:

Either-way at this level, who cares.

Yeah I mean, from what I can tell there's not much of a point to playing good moves if you don't understand why they're good. I'm not that great at chess though.

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe
Finally joined Chess by Post as cxp if you could add me to the OP.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

White completely disregarding d4 because they think the queen could check and take the bishop is interesting, they've missed Nc3 there to block the check and support the bishop but I'm sure they'll figure that out if they think more. d4 is not the most popular response to this board though so it's not like they're massively missing out though.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

AJ_Impy posted:

Chess thread : 20:17

HardDiskD posted:

I am on board with the Knight plan, but before I cast my vote, what about we do Bc8-c7 instead? It doesn't develop the board much, granted, but if they don't want to lose their bishop, they will have to retreat it.

Black thread : 21:04

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

White completely disregarding d4 because they think the queen could check and take the bishop is interesting, they've missed Nc3 there to block the check and support the bishop but I'm sure they'll figure that out if they think more. d4 is not the most popular response to this board though so it's not like they're massively missing out though.

Chess thread : 20:45

M.c.P posted:

Hang on, found something with d2-d4.
IF (and it's only if) black goes for the cheeky counter-check with their queen...
We can respond with Nb1-c3, which will cover our bishop and move up our other knight. I mean, that queen will still have a couple options, but if they go for our Bishop we can take the queen in return.

Okay, but what else does d2-d4 do for us?
Lets say the respond with proletariat violence, pawn going c5xd4, then we can take the pawn back with Nf3xd4, which reinforces our bishop pinning the knight and puts that knight in a very commanding position in the middle of the board.

Not seeing a lot of other interesting options for them. e7-e5? Then if we respond with c2-c3 it can lead into a bunch of pawn trades that I think ends with Nf3xd4 again, same thing just lest pawns in the way.

So you know what? I'm putting d2-d4 into the ring.

White thread : 21:46

Some interesting timing there. I wonder if it's completely coincidental or if the teams are sneak-reading this thread.

Or maybe things just come true when posted itt?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean in theory you have a group of completely new players taking their first shot at analyzing boards in two threads and and in another thread you have more experienced players commenting on that analysis. It makes sense that they're going to take longer to figure out the different ways a situation can play out. Additionally, We're still in opening book territory right now so they still have known moves and lines to work off of, it's hardly revolutionary that d4 is a workable move.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The biggest issue is that now you've mentioned that, if they are reading the thread, they are now likely to stop using the knowledge to avoid being caught. We should've put some really weird move and marketed it as the best possible move as a sort of sting operation to try actually weeding out that potential behaviour.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The biggest issue is that now you've mentioned that, if they are reading the thread, they are now likely to stop using the knowledge to avoid being caught. We should've put some really weird move and marketed it as the best possible move as a sort of sting operation to try actually weeding out that potential behaviour.

In the highly unlikely event that the teams really are reading this thread, that would just mess up the game to nobody's enjoyment. I just thought it was funny timing.

... or was it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

In the highly unlikely event that the teams really are reading this thread, that would just mess up the game to nobody's enjoyment. I just thought it was funny timing.

It kinda messes up the game if anyone on the teams is in fact reading the thread. Please don't do it folks.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It kinda messes up the game if anyone on the teams is in fact reading the thread. Please don't do it folks.

How can they know not to cheat if they're not reading this thread in the first place?

Gotta think two moves ahead.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Is there anything I missed about castling in my infoposts? I left out the trick form discussed in this thread, as it'd just be a distraction.

Banned King Urgoon
Mar 15, 2015

idhrendur posted:

Is there anything I missed about castling in my infoposts? I left out the trick form discussed in this thread, as it'd just be a distraction.

You should point out that you can castle if the rook is attacked — Korchnoi famously had to ask the arbiter if that was legal during a game against Karpov.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Banned King Urgoon posted:

You should point out that you can castle if the rook is attacked — Korchnoi famously had to ask the arbiter if that was legal during a game against Karpov.

Good call. I had implied it but not made it explicit.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

idhrendur posted:

The only thing I noticed is that because you used quoted posts from the other thread, if some player were to click on the "Idhrendur posted" text they end up in the opponent's thread! And that's an easy thing to accidentally do. Just edit your posts and remove the post="id" from the quote tag and that should fix it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Carbon dioxide posted:

The only thing I noticed is that because you used quoted posts from the other thread, if some player were to click on the "Idhrendur posted" text they end up in the opponent's thread! And that's an easy thing to accidentally do. Just edit your posts and remove the post="id" from the quote tag and that should fix it.

Thanks for catching that! It's been corrected.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4

316 games in the database, 48,7% win rate for white.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Also great post idhrendur!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My favourite thing about this game is players looking at a few viable moves and deciding that one would be a terrible mistake and if their opponent plays it they should immediately capitalize on the dire blunder.

Also can somebody tell Yorkshire that for his videos he can use the analysis board instead of the editor and he make moves forward and backward instead of readjusting everytime

Edit, Meanwhile on team black:

LupusAter posted:

I feel like it would be a little early for them to develop the queen [...] We seem to agree that Qd8-a5+ is the best move for now.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 19, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Edit, Meanwhile on team black:

Hmm, normally to such a move this early I'd say "monkey sees a check, monkey makes a check" but if they block with anything but the knight they give up their bishop. I haven't been following things until now, how prone is the mob mentality to panic and miss something like that? Knights are easy to overlook.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
With every move we drift further from theory's light. The Main line continued 4. 0-0 Bd7 5. Re1 if people were wondering.

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, normally to such a move this early I'd say "monkey sees a check, monkey makes a check" but if they block with anything but the knight they give up their bishop. I haven't been following things until now, how prone is the mob mentality to panic and miss something like that? Knights are easy to overlook.

I'm pretty sure that was missed by Yorkshire Tea but someone pointed it out, so white will find it.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 20, 2017

Banned King Urgoon
Mar 15, 2015
4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4!? is also a line, the Chekhover variation (normally reached by 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 Nc6 5.Bb5).

I don't see the appeal of 4...Qa5+; the queen's just misplaced after 5.Nc3 (which White will of course find, since it's the only move to defend the bishop).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Pushing the d-pawn isn't really a mistake, but in a beginner's game, it'd be nice if there was more of a push for castling. It's pretty hard to argue for long-term strategic benefits in a collab game, though.

Also, a suggestion for Covski: You may want to additionally put the actual long-notation move in the posts. I don't know if it's actually causing any problems, but for players learning the game, they may be having a little difficulty understanding just where the last move was made (even with the highlight on the board diagram).

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 20, 2017

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Late to the party but I'm moooo566 in Chess by Post.

I'm poo poo at chess and I'd like to get better by losing to goons.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4

317 games in the database, 48,9% win rate for white.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Deformed Church posted:

Late to the party but I'm moooo566 in Chess by Post.

I'm poo poo at chess and I'd like to get better by losing to goons.

Adding you!

Kangra posted:

Also, a suggestion for Covski: You may want to additionally put the actual long-notation move in the posts. I don't know if it's actually causing any problems, but for players learning the game, they may be having a little difficulty understanding just where the last move was made (even with the highlight on the board diagram).

Yeah, I originally did long form notation for the posts until I was informed that the short form allows the info to be easily imported into Lichess, I could absolutely do both though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
So presumably this ends with both sides exchangin a pawn and a knight, and white with much better development?

No, wait, I'm dumb. This seems like a really nice position for white given that the black Knight is pinned and attacked by the black Knight. Assuming nxd4

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread