Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, I'm a tactical mastermind. Never personally suffered a defeat. This will be sure to end the same way.
...I can attest that this statement is completely factual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Hey, I'm a tactical mastermind. Never personally suffered a defeat. This will be sure to end the same way.

Ramming speed!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
:siren: The team threads are up! The game is on! Team white has 24 hours to make their move. :siren:

This is the thread of team white
The players on team white are:

Added Space
blizzardvizard
bman in 2288
Cloud Potato
Dr. Fetus
Faerie Fortune
Fat Samurai
Garbonix
Gridlocked
habituallyred
jon joe
Junpei Hyde
Maigius
oath2order
Oblivion4568238
StoryTime
Twib

This is the thread of team black

The players on team black are:

Dr. Snark
Talow
chitoryu12
Davin Valkri
Crosspeice
UnderFreddy
CirclMastr
BioEnchanted
HerpicleOmnicron5
Suspect Bucket
idhrendur
Snorb
Glaive17
AJ_Impy
Paul.Power
oldskool
Nice piece of fish

The rules of the game:

The teams will choose their move based on a simple vote - Note that this means that explaining to your team mates why your suggested move is the best is just as important as coming up with it in the first place!

Teams will have 24 hours to decide on their move, though I will call the vote early if one move gains a clear majority.

I'd much prefer if you refer to your moves using standard chess notation as much as possible to make things easier on me!

I'd also prefer if as much team communication as possible is kept in the threads, both for the benefit of the observer thread and to make it easier for new players to follow the lines of thinking without having to use external sites.

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.

No use of chess engines to find moves is allowed.

However: Linking to Wikipedia or other sources of information when referring to openings or chess concepts is not only allowed, but actively encouraged!

Absolutely no super villainy allowed.

Both teams, best of luck!

:siren: Players are not allowed to read past this point! :siren:

Covski fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

White to move.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
This is the peanut gallery thread, right? I'm loving White's suggestion to post a lot in order to make it look like they're discussing complex srategy. Leave it to goons to weave webs most tangled.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I too look forward to see how LP goons will attempt to play mind games in a game with perfect information, and also how they will manage to screw themselves over by overthinking in a game famously known for requiring the ability to think several moves ahead :v:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I can't wait for this to devolve into both teams using only pawns in order to psych out the other team

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyroi posted:

I can't wait for this to devolve into both teams using only pawns in order to psych out the other team

White's gonna rush the board with a wall of pawns and get them all promoted somehow.

War of the Nine Queens, baby! :getin:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

And then accidentally draw by stalemating.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder which side will try castling, if at all.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Personally I've always found the GameFAQs guide to chess helpful.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Please encourage the teams to adopt the most ridiculously named gambits as their main strategy.

Reference:

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

It might be late for me to sign up to play, but I will endeavor to enjoy this LP regardless!

Trying to set myself up as an information broker for both teams by reading both of their team threads so I can leak relevant information to the opposing side (i.e possible checkmates, promotions, etc) and therefore keeping the game running ad infinitum is allowed, right?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Of course not. (Because chess has a definite end state, when played by typical rules).

Speaking of which, are draws going to be allowed in this match? I imagine it'll be tough to get a whole team to offer one, but it'd be fun to see it happen if it calls for it. Be fun to see it happen when it's mate in 5 too.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Jaguars! posted:

Please encourage the teams to adopt the most ridiculously named gambits as their main strategy.

Reference:

Slav Defence sounds exciting. Is this when you set fire you your half of the board?

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

HereticMIND posted:

Trying to set myself up as an information broker for both teams by reading both of their team threads so I can leak relevant information to the opposing side (i.e possible checkmates, promotions, etc) and therefore keeping the game running ad infinitum is allowed, right?

Covski posted:

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.

Absolutely no super villainy allowed.

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 11, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Slav Defence sounds exciting. Is this when you set fire you your half of the board?
You kill off your knights, bishops, rooks and queen for no gain and convince the pawns they've got more chance to win that way. Dissenters get sacrificed. Or was that Stalin's Gambit?

e: VVV Waiting should only be a temporary issue until the game really gets going.

e2: Might be just me having listened to a tad too many bad jokes, but using something called "the French defense" sounds like a recipe for disaster.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 11, 2017

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Black is complaining about waiting.

I guess that's a fair point, and I'm wondering if that could be mitigated, for instance by giving the team that's not moving something to do. Perhaps that isn't necessary because once the game starts going you can discuss actual strategy before the other side moved, but still.

First thought was set up a second game with the colors switched. But keeping the state of two boards in mind can get really complicated. And an equal end score is much more likely.

Plus, if they don't start in the same turn, the second team to start as white could just copy the first team's moves to troll the hell out of the game.

What else...

Perhaps give the team that isn't moving some chess puzzles to think about, where the people who ranked themselves the lowest get the first go?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaand we're off. Looks like White is opening with the Spanish Defence, or some quasimodian imitation of it, but it looks like Black was banking on them opening with it, and have spent considerable time formulating a counter strategy while White rushed to consensus. Let's see how they respond now that their suspicions have panned out.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Black's issue with waiting wouldn't be as bad if they weren't thinking themselves in circles from the word go, trying to predict and counter predict every possible gambit, instead of letting the first move happen then plan from there. Now that it's actually their move, the need to wait will be gone, because they'll have tangible information to work with whether it's their turn or not.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4

So we are, probably unsurprisingly, opening up with King's Pawn Game. While not the most unexpected move we could have hoped for, 1.e4 is the most common opening for a reason: A pawn right in the all important centre of the board, open lines for the queen and bishop and endless opportunities to respond to the opponent's moves. Personally, I very rarely open with anything different than 1.e4 when playing as white.

The vote was basically a landslide, with only a few straggler votes for 1.d4 and 1.Nc3. It is interesting that the horse-friends advocated the more passive Nc3 (Dunst opening over the more popular 1.Nf3. (Réti opening)

In other news, I'm super happy a5 was advocated in the black thread (albeit semi-seriously). I have a soft spot for this opening, since it was the opening I played in my very first chess game ever, learning the game from my father :3: (as well as being a remarkably useless opening move).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That scandinavian defense thingamajig Black is arguing about sounds properly vikingish - risky, bloodthirsty and probably insane. What's the chances of White recognizing it for what it is? I don't really see into chess well enough to weigh the pros and cons of that move, but it seems like a lot of risk to have the queen out in the open and under attack 24/7.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

(we've won already)
I wonder if Herp's custom title won't become very relevant soon enough. :v:
I'm sure White's opening move wouldn't be so ubiquitous if a counter to it was so guaranteed.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I'm not overly familiar with the Scandinavian defense (and book openings in general are my weakest area of chess knowledge), but really any even half-decent player would be cautious enough about a queen out in the open and would see the opportunity to develop with tempo by chasing the queen away.

White pawn takes, black queen takes, white knight to c3 is the most common response, after which black usually retreats the queen to a square where it can't be threatened, such as a5, d6, or even back to it's starting position on d8. As a side note, the Wikipedia page mentions Herp's favoured idea of checking with the queen on e5 (apparently called the Patzer variation) as a bad move for black - and any idea that it would even remotely be a quick game winner against semi-competent player is pure wishful thinking :v:

Either way, the opening is likely to lead to an open game with two central pawns exchanged early on, and decent conditions for quick development. It's a less passive move than 1.e4 e5, but it's not meant to be a hyper-aggressive opening either.

Of course, this all assumes that white chooses to capture the offered pawn on d5 in the first place, so we are getting way ahead of things again (much like the black team!) :v:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I don't know much about Chess, but bringing out your queen on your second turn feels more like it'd be a liability than an advantage. You gain an immediate advantage in board control, but now you're forced to defend your queen for the rest of the game which can slow further development.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5

Scandinavian defense it is! White has a two main options here: Either they take they pawn, or they avoid taking on d5, usually with a move like Nc3. (this is generally considered inferior, however) It's going to be interesting to see how they react to this less common respons from black!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not sure calling the votes this early is a good idea. What if people live in different time zones and some then miss the chance to participate in voting?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I'm only calling the votes if one option has the support of a majority of the total players on the team - it seems to me that another option making a comeback at that point is very unlikely. It's all in the interest of keeping the game moving forward, and it will probably be unlikely to happen when the votes get more divisive. Of course, if the players express concern about this I will absolutely reconsider the policy :)

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009
The Scandinavian :denmark: :norway: :sweden: .... gross.

John Bartholomew would be proud of you team black.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress is going on in the black thread? :psyduck:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
This is going to end even more horribly than the RPS match did.
I love it.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Samurai seems to have things figured out in the white thread:

Fat Samurai posted:

If Goon vs Goon threads have taught me anything is this: blame Herp. For everything.

It's also interesting to note that 2.exd5 is considered the optimal response to the Scandinavian defense in high level chess strategy, despite what both teams currently seem to think. Whether this holds true with amateur players is an open question.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

EagerSleeper posted:

What the gently caress is going on in the black thread? :psyduck:
Herp is generally very... Mutiny-able?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

At least supervillainy is explicitly forbidden this time around!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

anilEhilated posted:

Herp is generally very... Mutiny-able?

Paging Davin Valkri, paging Davin Valkri.
Oh god the poor sod is with Herp again?

But yeah, let me tell you of that goon vs goon LP circa 2014 IIRC where we on the nazi side managed to perfectly roleplay German high command.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think the Invader Zim analogy is apt w/r/t Herp. Either Black is going to throw him under the bus before the end of the game, or he is going to throw Black itself under the bus in a fit of villainous lunacy. I'm about 50/50 on how this is going to shake out.

White, by comparison is turning out to be a much more stable team.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

But yeah, let me tell you of that goon vs goon LP circa 2014 IIRC where we on the nazi side managed to perfectly roleplay German high command.
Yeah, been there. Ended up driving a tank back and forth for most of the game because the command was an utter clusterfuck.

I'm thinking the difference is in the ways people present their opinions. White seems to have much more civil and low-key communication without anyone defending their positions strongly yet. Then again, there weren't that many hard decisions yet, there's still plenty of potential for drama.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Wish I had caught this earlier to join in, but participating and reading both threads is fun.

As a chess novice who hasn't played regularly for about 20 years now - high school chess club - why is Nc3 considered an inferior option to taking the pawn? Just from a standpoint of how the board feels, I like having two pieces out and active is more preferable to moving my pawn twice, even if I capture his. Not to mention the knight covers both his own pawn, as well as threatens blacks pawn.

I wish black had done something more interesting than responding with the pawn move. My main strategy when I played for the first 5 turns or so was to get my king in castling position as soon as possible, while pulling my knight and bishop out to do area control around the center.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Lucas Archer posted:

why is Nc3 considered an inferior option to taking the pawn?

2. Nc3 is a bad idea because it invites black to push their pawn on d5 with 2. ... d4, which threatens the knight on c3 and basically forces it to move again (likely 3. Ne2). The wasted tempo will leave black free to support their advanced d4 pawn with 3 ... e5. After 3 moves black will have two strong central pawns, and a space advantage with their d4 pawn eating into white's territory. White will have an awkwardly placed knight, not much initiative, and will likely have forfeited their initial advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5

White continues with the standard line. Black basically has two options as this point, if they're going with the commonly accepted moves: Either they take with their queen, or develop the knight to f6 (this would be the "Marshall gambit"), aiming to recapture later without exposing their queen. Who knows if black will play by the book at this point though? It seems quite possible that this vote might be less unanimous than those we've seen so far!

Covski fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 11, 2017

• Locked thread