Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
First blood has been drawn. :getin:

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5

White continues with the standard line. Black basically has two options as this point, if they're going with the commonly accepted moves: Either they take with their queen, or develop the knight to f6 (this would be the "Marshall gambit"), aiming to recapture later without exposing their queen. Who knows if black will play by the book at this point though? It seems quite possible that this vote might be less unanimous than those we've seen so far!

Edit: the update was on the last page.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Speaking as a guy who likes to snap up units when given the opportunity, I'd probably just go with the easy capture using the black queen. There's no immediate risk to the queen and she can be used to develop a number of different offensive approaches. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but this move seems like a no-brainer for the black team.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

One, holy poo poo Herp, stop being Herp.

Two, the queen capture isn't the greatest move because the immediate response of Nc3 will force them to move the Queen or lose it, delaying their board state while letting White develop for basically free, which is the worst thing you can do as Black.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm waiting with baited breath as people in white thread are hoping that black thread will be foolish enough to move their queen out so soon, meanwhile some people in black thread are thinking that doing so would be a good idea. :munch:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Interestingly, Qxd5 is actually the most common continuation of this line of play, despite how down on it players in both threads seem. While it goes against the opening principle of not moving the queen out too early there are several good retreat squares to move it too after the knight comes out where it can't easily be forced away, and black ends up no worse in development than they started, still being one tempo behind white. The main takeaway from this is that black gets to determine the pace of the early game, with the open centre.

Moving the knight out instead still means they can probably recapture later, unless white jumps through some hoops to protect the overextended pawn. This is a what's called a gambit, since they would be temporarily sacrificing material in order to gain position.

Especially Nice piece of fish in the black thread seems to really hate the queen capture for some reason. While it's not as game-winning as Herp wanted it to be, it's not something that's at all likely to lose them the game either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. I mentioned this over Discord, but I think if Black loses their Queen, the knives are coming out and it's just gonna be anarchy in their thread from that point on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah. I mentioned this over Discord, but I think if Black loses their Queen, the knives are coming out and it's just gonna be anarchy in their thread from that point on.

I wasn't expecting anything else from goon democracies playing chess tbh.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I honestly think Black should block with their Bishop (the one currently on e8). It saves their Queen from being exposed and force White to think a little outside the box.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Wow, Herp's actually backing off from Qxd5, I'm surprised.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

That was an astonishing amount of enthusiasm for moving the Queen out on the second move.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Omobono posted:

Paging Davin Valkri, paging Davin Valkri.
Oh god the poor sod is with Herp again?

But yeah, let me tell you of that goon vs goon LP circa 2014 IIRC where we on the nazi side managed to perfectly roleplay German high command.

Please do :allears:. Or better yet, post a link to the thread, poo poo like this is why I bought archives access. I only know Herp from his (her?) Battlefleet Gothic: Armada LP, but I think that gave me a general idea about his approach to strategy.

nine-gear crow posted:

We have a discord channel?

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 12, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6

Black gets cold feet regarding the queen capture, which may or may not have been for the best. From here, the game starts to open up quite a bit. White's only option to keep the extra pawn is by pushing up their c pawn to c4, blocking in their own bishop a bit. Otherwise, they can use the extra time to get ahead in development.

The most common line seems to be 3. d4, giving up the pawn, and after black takes with the knight the c pawn comes up to c4 and pushes him away for another extra tempo.

It will be interesting to see how the teams react!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Omobono posted:

Paging Davin Valkri, paging Davin Valkri.
Oh god the poor sod is with Herp again?

But yeah, let me tell you of that goon vs goon LP circa 2014 IIRC where we on the nazi side managed to perfectly roleplay German high command.

I need to know more about this.

Also (total chess loser here), but my white move would probably be to move bishop to C4 now, would that be a bad move and why?

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm not sure if Herp just has a gimmick or if he's playing it straight.

Cuz it comes up every game

Kangra
May 7, 2012

double nine posted:

I need to know more about this.

Also (total chess loser here), but my white move would probably be to move bishop to C4 now, would that be a bad move and why?

It's a weaker move than something like d4.

Possibly it's clear to you, but it doesn't actually defend the pawn: 3. Bc4 Nxd5 4.Bxd5 Qxd5 and White can't simply chase the queen away.

So it needs to be considered in terms of whether it's good to have the bishop out there like that. c4 is only an okay for that bishop to be -- it'll need support, and will block the c-pawn. So it leaves fewer options than moving on the center using pawns. In addition, after Nxd5 you've got Black with a knight in the center that can't be attacked by any pawns at the moment.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Bb5 seems funny for an early check even if it's easily blocked by the bishop.

Might put the fear o' god into them though

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kangra posted:

It's a weaker move than something like d4.

Possibly it's clear to you, but it doesn't actually defend the pawn: 3. Bc4 Nxd5 4.Bxd5 Qxd5 and White can't simply chase the queen away.

So it needs to be considered in terms of whether it's good to have the bishop out there like that. c4 is only an okay for that bishop to be -- it'll need support, and will block the c-pawn. So it leaves fewer options than moving on the center using pawns. In addition, after Nxd5 you've got Black with a knight in the center that can't be attacked by any pawns at the moment.

Mainly, qxd5 threatens the pawn on g2. Since your bishop dies in the exchange mentioned there's no support on that piece meaning unless you respond for that you lose a rook.

So you have to play around that possibility to begin with which is likely to inhibit the decent responses you have.

d4 is probably the best move since it opens up your bishop for development at the cost of a pawn dying.

That said, I took a quick glance at Pc4 which I think is interesting since it takes the trade for the pawn off the table for black. From there the moves black make are harder to predict for someone as bad as me.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Bb5 seems funny for an early check even if it's easily blocked by the bishop.

I'm hoping it gets played. While 3. d4 is arguably the strongest move(and what I play in this position), it is also a little passive in that it doesn't challenge black and gives the pawn back immediately. It's a bit of a depth move, and not something you'd really expect from beginner level players. Bb5+ ('+' means 'check' in chess notation) is the sort of immediate punch-throwing move more typical of beginner play and is by no means a weakening move. IMO it's the more natural play, and a step away from the book...and chess is always more interesting once you're out of book.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Add me to the list of Chess by Post players, same name as on SA.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aumanor posted:

Please do :allears:. Or better yet, post a link to the thread, poo poo like this is why I bought archives access. I only know Herp from his (her?) Battlefleet Gothic: Armada LP, but I think that gave me a general idea about his approach to strategy.

We have a discord channel?

The LP subforum has a discord server, listed in the OP of the Sandcastle.

Please be very careful when discussing this game there, because there are certainly players lurking there. I'd suggest keeping it off Discord altogether.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 12, 2017

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Same

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The LP subforum has a discord server, listed in the OP of the Sandcastle.

Please be very careful when discussing this game there, because there are certainly players lurking there. I'd suggest keeping it off Discord altogether.

Yeah. I meant I was talking to Covski directly over Discord DMs about it, not out in the open on SALT or elsewhere.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Wish I could have gotten in on this! Chess is my jam and I've played thousands of games with all sorts of different skill levels. I've even beaten a few people (in a few games out of hundreds) that, while not grand master level, were really loving good.

If you guys roll another game, I'd like to jump in, or hell, maybe just play some games for fun against some of you. I have no one to play against really, my fiancee will play every once in a while but gets discouraged.

Also, my hot take on chess: Always control the center, if you can control the 4 tiles in the center of the board, you will likely win.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 12, 2017

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So James, what do you think of the current situation in Team Black's thread? Herp's definitely making the thread... interesting.

Team White, however, seems to be very calm, not making hyperbolic statements such as saying that they've won after a total of two moves.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Done!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

ZeButler posted:

So James, what do you think of the current situation in Team Black's thread? Herp's definitely making the thread... interesting.

Team White, however, seems to be very calm, not making hyperbolic statements such as saying that they've won after a total of two moves.

There are a lot of posts in there already, holy gently caress, I read about 3/4 through and am tired. Seems interesting, I don't want to give things away since I'm assuming you aren't supposed to read each others threads, but it's uhhh "Thar be monsters here". So I'll give some words of my own on the game so far!

I'd like to preface by saying that I am not good with the different types/styles of play and what they are called, that was never really a focus of mine. I learned how to play, and got better, through brutal repetition, often playing dozens even a hundred or more games in a single sitting sometimes with timers sometimes not. Also, the notation is not something I'm very good with as I haven't done a lot of review of already played games, and have always played live with another person. Some of the most fun I had was sitting down with a guy that played competitive chess in high school, taking some LSD and playing chess for the next 8 hours, but I digress.

I do not like the opening black moves because you've given a pawn up with the promise of queen mobility, but you've not taken that opportunity and instead let it languish (for now, obviously) and given white a free piece. I understand this might be a long game type of move (though I don't really see the purpose since A LOT can change as the board develops and we're only on turn 2), but it's definitely not one I would have chosen. My preferred counter to white would have probably been E5 as the opener, which would then change the next move entirely, and would still give us the promise of (some) early queen mobility.

But, if we discount changing the very opening move, and still move the Pawn to D5 then white still takes it. I would take the pawn with the queen, likely eliciting a C4 to force us to move the queen (although if I was white I would seriously think about moving N-C3 and then getting different pawns moving after depending on what's going on). If that happened I would likely put the king into check by doing Q-E5 to see what sort of defense they would put up, would they move one the knights in front of the king, use bishop instead, or the queen? Depending on what happened there would determine my next course of action, but if it was a knight I would move QB-G4, if it was a bishop I'd get one of my knights out, probably the a QK-C6, and if it was the queen I would seriously think about trading queen for queen this early just to see how the game shakes out.

Hopefully that makes sense.

*edit*

Ok, I read everything now, Herp seems to know what he/she/it is doing, so I'd say watch out white.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 12, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MF_James posted:

There are a lot of posts in there already, holy gently caress, I read about 3/4 through and am tired. Seems interesting, I don't want to give things away since I'm assuming you aren't supposed to read each others threads, but it's uhhh "Thar be monsters here". So I'll give some words of my own on the game so far!

I'd like to preface by saying that I am not good with the different types/styles of play and what they are called, that was never really a focus of mine. I learned how to play, and got better, through brutal repetition, often playing dozens even a hundred or more games in a single sitting sometimes with timers sometimes not. Also, the notation is not something I'm very good with as I haven't done a lot of review of already played games, and have always played live with another person. Some of the most fun I had was sitting down with a guy that played competitive chess in high school, taking some LSD and playing chess for the next 8 hours, but I digress.

I do not like the opening black moves because you've given a pawn up with the promise of queen mobility, but you've not taken that opportunity and instead let it languish (for now, obviously) and given white a free piece. I understand this might be a long game type of move (though I don't really see the purpose since A LOT can change as the board develops and we're only on turn 2), but it's definitely not one I would have chosen. My preferred counter to white would have probably been E5 as the opener, which would then change the next move entirely, and would still give us the promise of (some) early queen mobility.

But, if we discount changing the very opening move, and still move the Pawn to D5 then white still takes it. I would take the pawn with the queen, likely eliciting a C4 to force us to move the queen (although if I was white I would seriously think about moving N-C3 and then getting different pawns moving after depending on what's going on). If that happened I would likely put the king into check by doing Q-E5 to see what sort of defense they would put up, would they move one the knights in front of the king, use bishop instead, or the queen? Depending on what happened there would determine my next course of action, but if it was a knight I would move QB-G4, if it was a bishop I'd get one of my knights out, probably the a QK-C6, and if it was the queen I would seriously think about trading queen for queen this early just to see how the game shakes out.

Hopefully that makes sense.

I find these kinds of posts interesting. I've only ever had a passing interest in playing chess, but it can be fascinating to watch skilled people play chess or go. There's a level of strategic thinking there that can be very interesting to watch.

Goons playing chess by democracy promises to be entertaining for entirely different reasons, of course.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I find these kinds of posts interesting. I've only ever had a passing interest in playing chess, but it can be fascinating to watch skilled people play chess or go. There's a level of strategic thinking there that can be very interesting to watch.

Goons playing chess by democracy promises to be entertaining for entirely different reasons, of course.

Yeah the whole democracy thing is going to make for some interesting moves, though it seems that people are listening to the experienced people so I think we shouldn't end up with too outlandish of a game, though there are probably going to be some :psyduck: moves

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
My vote in this instance would probably be for C4, but I can definitely see the merits of controlling the center. Most games I've played, my opponent has typically matched my initial pawn movement, so I've never had a situation where pawns are stacked like this. Could be interesting to see how it all pans out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I match white's move probably 80% of the time unless they make a really dumb/outlandish move.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Herp seems to know what he/she/it is doing
Famous last words.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Famous last words.

As I said, black team is already diverting away from a style I prefer, which has been a lot of Herp driving. Should be an interesting game either way.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I can't wait until we get into the meat of the game, seeing the teams inevitably overthink everything and start doing crazy things. That's when the real fun starts, and that's potentially the time for Herp to "shine", as it were.

It does feel like one or two people in each thread are controlling the teams though, with a lot of the votes basically being rubber stamps with no opinions added on. Hopefully that changes as the game progresses.

thorf
Jun 26, 2013

ZeButler posted:

That's because they've panicked. It'll be a rout.

Does anyone have a link to this previous goon vs goon LP? I want to know why everyone keeps comparing d5 to Leningrad.

Ernest Hemingway
Dec 4, 2009

MF_James posted:

Ok, I read everything now, Herp seems to know what he/she/it is doing, so I'd say watch out white.

Out of curiosity I checked for a lichess profile... which came up positive.

It's far too small a sample size to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion... but a 1045 provisional blitz rating after 6 rated games is a bad sign.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

One side wants to play chess, the other side wants to screw.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Herp is hilarious. I've never seen a gimmick quite like his before.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Ernest Hemingway posted:

Out of curiosity I checked for a lichess profile... which came up positive.

It's far too small a sample size to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion... but a 1045 provisional blitz rating after 6 rated games is a bad sign.

sarcasm_over_internet.txt

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Hey, observer thread, I hope you're taking notes and making summaries for our later amusement. If this doesn't end up reading as The Gossage-Vardebedian Papers, I'll be sorely disappointed.

Oh, don't worry. We've got you covered fam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4

This is apparently known as the Modern Variation of the 2...Nf6 line of the Scandinavian defense. The most common response is black capturing with the knight, and after white chases the knight away with c4 they have a decent lead in development

However I'm getting the feeling that black, being the more "mindgamey" team, may want to try something cheeky and move out of book openings sooner rather than later or at least go for a less common continuation. Maybe we'll see Qxd5 after all?

• Locked thread