Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I didn't have a Wii U so I'm excited to get to play this, since I only got to try the first game a few times at a friend's place. Is the single player really a substantial amount of content, or is it more like a 2 hour tutorial for the multiplayer like some games do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Spacedad posted:

I hope there's amiibo cards available for splatoon 2 so I can transport my favorite play loadout in my wallet.

if they were smart they'd take a cue from what Skylanders Imaginators did (yeah, i know, ok) and let you custom-order amiibo cards with nice art of your loadout on them for like $10 a pop

id buy a bunch, i have no self control

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Saint Freak posted:

Are we only going to have the 4 or so weapons we have right now available in the splatfest? Cause that's unfortunate.

I think you can level up during the splatfest and get more stuff from the shops, but i'm not 100% sure. i just dont know why the shops would even be open to visit in the splatfest demo otherwise

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Worth mentioning that the demo's options menu seems to let you save your squid's loadout to an Amiibo though, so you might be able to preserve your pre-release self forever as a toy

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Takoluka posted:

I think Splatoon requires taking in a lot of on-screen information, and having half of it cut off in favor of a second player would be detrimental to play. There's no way they didn't experiment with it at least once in development.

Yeah this isn't a case of the system not being able to handle it or any technical issues like that, even the original Splatoon's local two-player mode (which was it's own weird thing) used the TV and the gamepad as separate screens rather than doing split-screen. That's got to be more taxing on the hardware than a split-screen mode would have been, I'm sure. It's absolutely a design thing, too much compromise to playability for it to be usable.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Do you still have to complete some sort of challenge maps to unlock the amiibo outfits this time around or did they change how that works? do we even know

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So with how the gear system works now, you can effectively make any piece of equipment as good as any other one, right? because i'd rather just look good than be optimal, but if i can do both, thats even better

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This game is a ton of fun. I feel like I'll be playing a ton more of it when it's actually out and you earn XP and money and stuff, because I'm not totally happy with the weapons you've got here in the beta thing. want that umbrella

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Is the Splatoon manga available in english officially anywhere? I didn't even know there was one until this announcement

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

what are the callie and marie amiibo going to do in this game? like the other ones i assume grant you the outfits you could earn in splatoon 1, and the new ones must be entirely new outfits, but are they going to add something to callie and marie's amiibos or is it just going to let you summon them to dance again? because that would be super weird considering the story this time

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SpaceDrake posted:

So, that's interesting, while reviewers and whatnot can talk about the game now, apparently the function of the Callie & Marie amiibo are still under embargo until release day, and being treated as "very hush-hush".

:raise:

This is either because it's story spoilers, or because Nintendo is just being arbitrary about amiibo stuff again. They've had NDAs on super mundane amiibo stuff before, like Mario Maker.

I hope it unlocks Callie and Marie's Splatoon 1 outfits for players to use.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So the Amiibos just directly grant outfits this time with no challenge maps, right?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I can't wait for Splatoon 3 when we get to meet Big Judd

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nalin posted:

According to this there is exclusive gear you can only buy from the smartphone app.

That's half-correct, you can also get it from other players in the plaza like buying gear off them worked in the first game. But the app is the primary way to get it

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Nephzinho posted:

amazed noone has finished SP yet to scan Callie.

It's a press embargo thing. Someone would have to get a copy early from a store and also own the Amiibos, which is just unlikely enough to be annoying like this.

Also it may be locked behind a release day patch too

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Debating if I want this digital or physical. I can see playing it for a long time, especially with the new content and splatfest stuff happening so often, but I don't have an SD card in my Switch yet so I don't know if it will even fit with the patches and updates all in there on top of the game

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Escobarbarian posted:

Main download is only 3.3gb, so I guess it depends how much other stuff you have.

Oh that's way smaller than I expected. Is that normal for Switch games? I'm used to everything being like 20-60gb

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The game is out in Japan and we still don't know what Callie and Marie Amiibos do, it's driving me crazy

I can't take the suspense over something so minor and pointless

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Letting my little sister borrow my Switch for the day so she can play while I'm stuck at work, then gotta pick up my amiibos on the way home and settle in for a splatty weekend.

She's probably more excited about the game than anyone, but doesn't have a Switch yet. Gonna see if I can help my parents buy her one for her birthday in August so we can play online together. Video games are one of the few things me and my 10 year old sister can bond over, and between this and the Minecraft cross-play stuff the Switch is looking like a good system for that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Wait wait wait am I missing something or can you seriously not play ranked with friends?

I just grinded up to level 10 so we could finally queue as a squad and there appears to be no way to do that?

Do I have to now grind to B- just to be able to do league play? I thought league was something different.

Game is great but I cannot believe there is still no easy way to queue into turf war with friends, and apparently no ranked squad option at all?

Please please someone tell me I missed something.

getting into Turf War with friends is pretty easy, just queue up and they join on you from the Friends option. even lets them wait for a spot to open up if you're currently in a full game, which happens pretty quick. we had like 5 people playing together with some random pubs thrown in tonight just kind of from everyone joining on their friends without even planning it beforehand

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The Bloop posted:

has anyone figured out yet if the two different colors of the Splat 1 amiibo give different things?

I tested it, they do not. Recolor Splatoon 1 amiibo give the same stuff as normal Splatoon 1 amiibo.

Callie and Marie do each give different gear though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Internet Kraken posted:

I just want a reward from Salmon Run that lets me use the work clothes in turf war. I want everyone to know I've sold my soul to Mr. Grizz and the company.

it will be locked behind the Mr Grizz amiibo

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I just assumed that Grizzco were 100% definitely actual bears, and they just can't show their faces because it would terrify every sea creature in town and mess up their scheme.

It would explain why they're so interested in collecting salmon

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What's the best ability loadout to aim for? Or at least, the best stuff to start farming chunks for? I was running stuff that just makes me get Supers faster while using the Aerospray MG and it's been going pretty well but I feel like I don't really know what's good or what point you get diminishing returns at for stacking the same thing in multiple slots.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

What confused some people about the app-shop gear being different, is that for the first hour or two post-launch there were gear pieces in the shop there that had the wrong primary skills on them. If you were fast you could have bought them. Nintendo is patching them out in the next content update but for now there's some people with 'impossible' gear out there somewhere.

Normally, it's supposed to be the same kind of gear you can get in-game, just some different stuff from what's currently being offered.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

How the gently caress do you aim the railgun stingray or whatever

Aim before you shoot, if you need to change targets stop shooting, aim, and shoot again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope there’s a new even smaller Judd to join the other 2.

we will get an even bigger Judd , and then normal Judd will ride him around like this