Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

bizarre deformity posted:

I'm a big fan of the Squiffer. I might be the only one though. The ability to save a charge might make the Squiffer better!

Is the squiffer in? I got so much mileage out of that, but no more bubble shield is gonna sting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Am I really going to be at a huge disadvantage if I switch off of motion controls? My head can't wrap around turning horizontally with motion controls. Having to reset the position just to do a 180 is annoying. I know you can use the stick but then if I'm using the stick to look left and right, it's hard to mix it up with the motion controls.

You won't be at a huge disadvantage, but they're worth learning. Try doing a few stages in Octo Valley with them to get a little more familiar with how they work.

It's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at first but I think you'll be surprised at how quickly they click.

Also, how are you using the motion controls? Are you steering them like a car? Don't do that! The controller basically acts like a faux pointer device.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

Is the gatling gun a bad choice in weapon? I'm not getting stellar results with it, but I think it's a weapon I want to learn.

You don't need to charge it all the way to use it. You only need to get four hits to splat a squid and you can get that with very little charge. Feathering in close quarters also works

That said, it's an amazing shutout weapon and you can use the sprinkler as a low-rent shield too! Just make sure you drop it ahead of time because it takes a ton of ink.

e: Also! Shoot in front of where your target is trying to go. Once they're knee deep in your ink, the rest of your shots will take care of all the rest.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you get to Profreshional, you know what you're doing.

Like heck I do :cry:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

As a Heavy Splatling enthusiast, I've found that it sucks for Turf and it isn't amazing at Splat Zones. Some weapons are just better at different scenarios and levels. When the object of the game is to cover as much ground with ink as possible (in the case of turf war/splatfests/Splat Zones), having a weapon that either fires far but in a straight line, or fires in a wide cone but very shallow, you're going to be at a disadvantage compared to weapons that fire in cones and at mid ranges (and are therefore not great at getting kills).

The reason why the Splatling sucks in Turf War is that it's kind of a win-more weapon. If you can get on the bridge on The Reef or the tower in Art Academy or whatever, then congrats, you win, but if you CAN'T get there, then you have no way of pushing your way in.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

How the hell do I ink 1761p (a new record) and still lose with 27% coverage?

The other team covered it all up.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm gonna eat a mayo sandwich in celebration

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Lakbay posted:

For you people grinding ability chunks outside of splatfest, are you doing it as you play ranked or doing turf war and avoiding ranked until you have your perfect set?

You can get way up in Ranked without needing to minmax. Just jump in!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Frankston posted:

It rotates every 2 hours between maps and game modes.

KO is when one team completes the objective before the round is over.

To specify, controlling the splat zone causes your team's score counter to tick down. If it reaches zero, the match immediately ends and that team earns the KO bonus.

e: beaten!

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

In Training posted:

One thing they should have added was a transmutation option with shells to take the main ability+all current subs and slap it into a different look. Because I don't really like the soccer jersey but drat that's a sick piece of bonuses

Too bad, you're a football hooligan now

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Don't use chargers in turf war

:negative:

Counterpoint: do use chargers in turf war

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

Man, is there anything more worthless than a loving charger on salmon run

Since they're excellent at taking out almost every boss salmonid in one or two shots, yeah, there probably is

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Black Stones posted:

Re: chargers chat.

I played a bunch of games this morning of turf war and imo chargers are probably only game changers in ranked. I actually played with a really good charger. He was getting high kills, and decently inked. But I found the team I was on usually managed to gank his team. Especially because the dualies I use have suction bomb throw and he had to constantly retreat and could never set up properly. I generally managed to help keep him shut down by approaching at different spots every time.

A good charger can be helpful but for turf war I want someone with a gun 100% of the time because 95% of the time the chargers I play with get 2-3 kills and barely ink anything. They're not the force they used to be in Splatoon 1. I've put 80 hours into turf war and IMO I've never had a game where I could attribute the enemy momentum thanks to the charger.

Chargers are secretly amazing at laying down ink, but the game keeps insisting that they're not. It's weird. I've had games where I've outscored Aerosprays, even.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It doesn't help that splatoon channels keep claiming that chargers can't ink well.

Yeah, and I think that keeps feeding into the idea that proper charger play means charging up and standing there like a scarecrow waiting for the perfect shot when you should just be shooting all the time

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I did a bit of impromptu and extremely unscientific testing with how Object Shredder interacts with the Brella shield.

Without Shredder, it took four (!!!) full Charger shots to take out the shield. With Shredder, it only took two.

Double damage against the Brella shield seems pretty nice, but there's no telling whether people will keep using the Brella or not, and even if they do, you can always lob a grenade or a bucket full of ink over it instead.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I'm struggling to wrap my head around motion controls as it's pretty clear they're vastly superior to right stick aiming if you master them. Any tips on sensitivity settings for portable/controller mode, or general nuances to the control? Should I be using Y for larger camera swings or relying on the right stick?

Sensitivity settings will depend on the weapon you use the most. Long range weapons like squelchers and chargers feel pretty good at -2.5 motion to me, while the default -1 feels pretty good for close-range weapons like the splattershot.

A lot of people will suggest you treat the controller like a school bus steering wheel to aim, and while it's a useful analogy, I like to think of it as a pointer that you aim with both hands. Use your wrists for the fastest and most precise results.

You might also try playing with the joycons detached. Some people here swear by it.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't make clothes your wearing and objects your holding invisible. Garbage invisibility that wouldn't even be useful for much.

Besides, even if it did, why would you want people to not see your super fresh outfits?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

https://twitter.com/splatoonjp/status/898471431356297217

The Squiffer drops tonight. Comes with Point Sensors and Ink Armor.

Yessssssss

This thing was my main in the first game and I was resigned to waiting weeks for it

e:

Salmon Run really needs new maps

Also gently caress yeah Squiffer, I hope we get the New Squiffer at some point with Ink Mines like in the first game. Loved that piece of poo poo floor cleaner!!

The New Squiffer was also leaked, with autobombs and the Baller. No mines, but those only do 30 damage now, which is kind of irrelevant to a one-shot weapon.

EightFlyingCars fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2017

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm loving all the trans positivity posts in the plaza :3:

Sorry, breeders

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I've learned how to use chargers well.

I'm sorry everyone.:kimchi:

Never apologize for greatness

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I lost my groove with the Squiffer, I keep getting wrecked when using it :smith:

I had a rough patch starting out again with it too. Want some advice?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Sure, as long as it isn't just git gud

Naw, I wouldn't do that. Anyway! Here are way too many words about the Squiffer:

Like other chargers, knowing your best spots on each map is really important, but because the Squiffer has shorter range, the spots that other chargers can work from won't work. Instead, go for these:

-Literally any long corridor or choke point, but watch out for Squelchers and Rapid Blasters;
-Areas with wide-open flat ground, like the two courts in Port and the central courtyard in Academy. When defending yourself from attack, take advantage of your quick charge speed and funnel the attacker into one path. If they try to swim through it to get closer, you'll know exactly where they are and exactly where to shoot. Good players won't fall for this, but most players aren't good.

The Squiffer is very strong on flat ground, and it's okay on higher ground but it can't take advantage of that as much as longer-ranged chargers. Because of the Squiffer's shorter range, you'll have to move through lower ground a lot, and this is where the Squiffer is weakest. You're essentially blind to any enemy coming at you from higher ground, and you lack any means of attacking them while they can rain shots down on you from above. It's a geometry problem. Especially dangerous areas for you include:

-At the bottom of any central hill, like in Shipyard or Musselforge;
-Defending against the side paths leading onto the central zone in Mainstage;
-At the foot of any ledge, like those that lead up to Mainstage or surround the courtyard in Academy.

You can mitigate a lot of the risk by keeping these areas at your maximum range, but sometimes that isn't an option. Thankfully, you have a tool for just these situations! If you think an attack is coming from a place like these, toss out a Point Sensor. If anyone decides to hop down and come after you (and they will), you'll see them coming, and you can be ready for them. The Point Sensor is also great for blind corners and big chunks of enemy ink. Use it liberally, because you can still squeeze a few shots out after using it.

The Squiffer is actually pretty adept at laying down ink. Take advantage of that by stacking a bunch of Special Charge Up abilities and enjoy having four or five Ink Armors per match.

Finally, practice your snap shots! The majority of your splats are going to come from those. You can practice them by going into the test room, getting in the middle of all the dummies, and getting used to making those quick snaps between random targets while incorporating as much movement as you can keep up with.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I'd argue Special Power is only worth it for Ink Armor as it increases the duration.

Even then, you need to stack up a whole lot of Special Power Ups to get more than, like, an extra second's worth.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Second of armor is a big deal.

I don't disagree, but you have to really commit to it, and there are lots and lots of good abilities competing for your slots.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a chart that shows the effects of the abilities? Like the difference in effectiveness between main/sub abilities, how the special power ups affect each special, etc.

Actually, what I just said last post is incredibly bad and wrong! According to this page https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Special_Power_Up you can get more than two extra seconds of Ink Armor with three Special Power Up mains.

That's still a heavy commitment, but it could be worth it. I'm still gonna run with Tenacity and Special Charge Up, though.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Oneiros posted:

https://twitter.com/inkzooka/status/901654861007142913

Apparently the friendly Steelhead is a thing.

Earlier today I had a Maws follow me around like a lost puppy and not pop up for a bite for like thirty seconds.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

Gimme a good build to use with the Classic Squiffer. I'm finally getting a feel for it and might make it my main, but want to know good abilities for it beyond the usual useful stuff (run, swim speed up). What's some good stuff to consider?

Anything with lots of Special Charge Up or Tenacity will be good because Ink Armor is an amazing special weapon. Beyond that, consider Ink Resistance Up since you'll be pretty close to the thick of things, as well as either Ink Saver Sub or Sub Power Up because you'll need your Point Sensor to keep from getting jumped. Ink Recovery Up is also good, as it is on everything.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'm thinking about making a Quick Super Jump + Splashdown gimmick build. Is Special Power Up worth it for that if I'm not going to be investing more than 19 points into it?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, this is real.

This Splatfest is going to destroy my marriage

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Worth it https://mobile.twitter.com/tomonmiiverse/status/930224980150730752

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I'll never disrespect curling bombs again https://mobile.twitter.com/tomonmiiverse/status/930564110839721986

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I mean she's in a video game so she's not wrong

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

You eat eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner. Thus, the egg comes first.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

raditts posted:

Somebody's never heard of Chicken & Waffles.

Waffle batter is made with eggs, and since you put the waffles on the plate first and top it with the chicken second, the egg still comes first! :eng101:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

In Training posted:

Anyone who votes "egg" is a godless heathen.

I voted egg and this is accurate.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

While we were squadding it up, we bumped into these guys

It ended hilariously poorly

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

you don't know that

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Are they going to pool the results across every region again?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I went 18-15 for team Egg which I guess is positive but it felt like most of the time my team was a bunch of idiots who had no idea how to play. I love the Shifty Station though, it is awesome and you feel like the biggest bad rear end when you win Thunderdome

Next Splatfest, hop on the discord and group up with goons, I had a blast and I never wanna do solo Splatfests ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

LethalGeek posted:

I'm glad the game knows when the match is absolutely not my fault. I lose like 5 points on a brutal loss.

Towers still worst map ever. Except mall exists so

Mall is so far improved from Splatoon 1 it's insane