Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Kelp Plankton posted:

I didn't have a Wii U so I'm excited to get to play this, since I only got to try the first game a few times at a friend's place. Is the single player really a substantial amount of content, or is it more like a 2 hour tutorial for the multiplayer like some games do?
The first one was more like a 6 hour tutorial for the multiplayer like some games do.
Think of it like if Mario Galaxy, only gravity is only in a single direction, and each planet is a little shooting gallery with a few unique things thrown in exclusively for the single-player (like bosses and some gimmicks). The little amount of stuff that was there wasn't bad, though.
Splatoon 2 seems like it'll be more of the same in terms of the single-player stuff, and I'm okay with that.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4yOtuqMplU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

He didn't only make them human, he removed all of their defining features except for color... And height, slightly.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
God drat!
I am so horny for squids!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think you misread, I said team cake.

Cake owns fight me.

:hfive:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
https://twitter.com/Gimbal_switch/status/886338144458555392

:colbert:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The triangular splat bombs have gotten ridiculously lethal. Reminds me of the old days of splatoon 1 pre-nerf

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
For those of you struggling with the motion control, try these settings:
Motion Control Sensitivity: -3
Sensitivity: 1.5

If it's working out for you, you might want to tweak the motion control sensitivity up to -2.5

Shifty gimbal fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 16, 2017

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
It's a free demo. Anybody in this thread will be stomping on kids' faces, so don't expect your performance to reflect the final result.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

eonwe posted:

im at 1600 ice cream power

idk if that's ok

I think the game starts you at 1500 so you've made progress.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Hail to the cake queen!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Dangerous Minority posted:

Absolutely digging this splatfest, but I wish you could be matched with other people if you don't have a full team of four.
Wife and I are looking for a fourth person if anybody wants to hop into a party.

Friend code is SW-7348-1070-8137

You're going to have to specify your allegiance

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I'm digging Splatoon 2 way more than the first one so far. The controls are way better once you've found your settings. I feel like I'm way more in control.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

hopeandjoy posted:

Got matched with a 1950 team.

I'm 1750.

RIP

:getin:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
That was a fun romp. I managed to finish around 2100, which isn't shabby but I've seen people in this thread do like 2400 so there's still a lot to learn.
This was my best round:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I had a match facing off against a good duely user. I was mostly playing splattershot so I had distance advantage, but he'd occasionally double-dodge towards me to immediately close the gap and out-damage me. I'd hate to go against someone who gets really good at that.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
There's something hilarious about a roller running straight at you far from the front, refusing to diverge despite you just dumping in his face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uvm3GixEj4

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Also: If this splatfest was representative of anything, I think that the roller's vertical spray might be the most lethal move in their arsenal. Its raw damage is really good and its range is... deceptively far.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Kaubocks posted:

wasn't fond of the curling puck bomb, i'd rather just a normal splat bomb.
Especially true since they were so ridiculously lethal compared to their sorry state by the end of Splatoon 1.
Man did I miss good splat bombs. The splat bomb barrage super used to be enough of a no-brainer for me to invest heavily in throwing range gear.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Akarshi posted:

So in Splatoon 1, I played competitive solo since none of my friends are really into video games/own a Wii U. Splatoon 2 seems to have a much greater focus on forming teams and voice chat and all of that. Will solo queuers like me get wrecked?
During non splatfests? You'll probably be fine.
Splatfest: It depends on the player base. I did solo during this one and stood at a crossroads between being on team cake (smaller player pool) and also being fairly highly ranked. This meant that my teammates were almost always way lower scored than me -- the average player available to team up at that moment and all -- bringing the team average down a bunch. The game would then generally match us with a score-appropriate team for your team average. A lot of pressure is put on you to carry your team, and if you end up losing anyway, it hurts your personal score way more since you lost against a fairly lower-scored team.

That said, it's probably less of an issue if you're on the popular side of the splatfest, and it's a complete non-issue if you aren't looking at your score much anyway.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The bike track level had so much surface to splat that the first 15 seconds was always followed by a non-stop barrage of missiles. Always

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Reviews will probably only reflect the single-player.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Zelder posted:

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.
TLDR; Yes, I am very salty about the personality changes.

Edit: To clarify, I can read japanese and played both jp and US splatfests.
:henget:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm torn on this. I mean, it's good for the game that chargers don't have a near instant kill anymore, but I'm also selfish and want it.

Attack and defense were both really boring choices that only existed to cancel each other out, and the weird minimum/maximum ink hits thing really made it feel like they were having trouble balancing them anyway. I'm glad that they're gone.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Who cares if the translation is accurate or not, so long as the writing is good and fun. Long live the death of the author!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
No big deal. it'll become available online in a day and then you'll have the game forever. 23 hours won't kill ya

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The subs seem rather lethal this time around so I'm thinking the explosion protection one.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

robot roll call posted:

poop, teeth, AND AIDS???

Edgy a f

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
R.I.P.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
It crashed during purchase and everybody seems to be downloading anyway except for me. Dangit!

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I'm weirded out by the result screen being kills and special kills rather than kills and deaths

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
There's a page on the app that shows your average number of splats per round, and next to it there's a fractional number in parenthesis. Anybody know what that number is? It can't possibly be a k/d ratio, right? drat game doesn't even expose deaths.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
The hamster ball special sure is garbage for offensive purposes.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Sheldon's store's song is dope

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Frankston posted:

Matchmaking keeps putting me on the same team as some guy who really sucks and keeps getting the lowest paint score and kills every game and we lose every time and I'm getting salty

Just exit the lobby and rejoin

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Daaamn I don't know what they did to the rapid blaster, but the weapon (along with its loadout) is obscene.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
I'm not one to easily blame my team on a loss, but c'mon... :effort:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
For some reason playing the single player tires my arms but not the multiplayer. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider
Can't wait to blast fools with the umbrella shotgun