Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rexroom posted:

Splatfest Once in a blood moon, a question pours out from a horrid, horrendously ancient telecommunication device. A week later, an orgy of violence and destruction follows where families and relationships are torn apart by the seams while inklings vandalize all or any stable surface with blasphemous graffiti. All the while writhing aquatic figures chant in unison while demonic music emanates from atop the gate to the sacrificial Turf War grounds. A spectacle of madness for tentacled gods to gaze upon with malicious glee, their schadenfreudian laughter echoing in your mind like tinnitus.

All to answer a simple question from that horrid, horrendously ancient telecommunication device: “Which is better, cats or dogs?” The winning side receive loads of shells. The losing side gets... less.

This is my favorite description of a Splatfest.

Ia! Ia! Stay Fghtagn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Brushes are the superior weapon type BTW

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are there any male hairstyles where they let their tentacle hair down?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Boo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

If you want long hair just be a girl squid, there's virtually no difference.

I like the male squid voice more.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Marina and Pearl resemble Lucio and Gremlin D.va

Not really.

EightFlyingCars posted:

Is the squiffer in? I got so much mileage out of that, but no more bubble shield is gonna sting.

Was the squiffer the one that fired rapidly? I have a hard time keeping track of chargers when almost everyone is garbage with all of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Infinitum posted:

Actually there are only 2 that are good

The most wrong post

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Every time I see Marina's octopus arm hair I get hungry. I haven't eaten octopus in ages.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there an ink brush you'll be able to use in the splatfest?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
smh if you didn't play Snipperclips, the greatest game on the Switch

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Saint Freak posted:

In a year with Crash and 2 Sanics?

*MIYAMOTO SWEATING*

Who the gently caress cares about Crash in the year 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The blaster is closer to a shotgun than either the bucket or brush.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can we keep Overwatch out of this thread? This is supposed to a thread for a fun game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sordas Volantyr posted:

But what if I don't like cake OR ice cream?

Then you're dead on the inside.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Guy Goodbody posted:

I never played Splatoon before, what do you do when your Splatfest choice doesn't match your favorite girl?

Be honest with yourself and vote for what you actually like. Don't be like the Marie diehards in the first game that pretended they actually roasted hotdogs over a campfire instead of marshmallows.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's a reason hot dogs lost that splatfest horribly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Oh so Splatoon and LISA take place in the same apocalypse?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My brother told me the ink brush isn't in Splatoon 2. That's a lie right? :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is the single-player in this game more substantial than Splatoon 1 or is it another fun but short experience?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Motion controllers aren't really worth using if you plan to use rollers/brushes. Better camera control helps more there.

Speaking of which, can someone tell me what the subs and special of the octobrush are? I assume there's only one in the game right now.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 22, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rabid Snake posted:

Am I really going to be at a huge disadvantage if I switch off of motion controls? My head can't wrap around turning horizontally with motion controls. Having to reset the position just to do a 180 is annoying. I know you can use the stick but then if I'm using the stick to look left and right, it's hard to mix it up with the motion controls.

No. All the other skills relevant to this game are gonna matter a lot more than your preferred control scheme in the long run. If you're not enjoying the motion controls then stop using them. I tried using the motion controls for like 20+ hours in Splatoon and hated it. As soon as I gave up and went back to regular controls I had way more fun and still did fine in ranked.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Made it to Profreshional (lol) in salmon run and its ridiculously hard now, at least with randoms. Its so easy for stuff to get out of hand, mainly because the game will spawn a bunch of flyfish and drizzlers to ruin you from afar. There's no quick way to kill either of those so you end up drowning in ink.

So is there any way to change the main ability on gear or is it only secondary stuff? I don't really understand the new gear system at all. All I know is ink resistance is still insanely good.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I got put into a Salmon Run with only one other person. We exchanged booyahs, ran down to the shore, then tunnel visioned on a stinger and were smacked into the water by a cohok. Shortest games ever.

Mr. Grizz docked me 3/4 of a paygrade for it :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DLC Inc posted:

How does the Salmon Run reward system work, you get to a certain level and then get cash? Do you get to upgrade your default loadout eventually or is this dependant on each round giving you a new gun?

Every day you get a reward ticket that goes up to 1200. Every 200 points you get a bonus which you get from the window outside. The bonuses can be cash, chunks, and meal tickets. You also get a piece of gear that can be sold for cash once you get duplicates.

Also your loadout in Salmon Run is always determined by the current map. Deal with what Mr.Grizz loans you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IMO Salmon Run is worth the price of admission alone, especially if they update it with more content. Its so much fun even with randoms.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Lakbay posted:

I'm a random playing with other randoms and I haven't beaten wave 3 at part-timer level yet (still fun though)

I really like the enemy design in this game

I got to Profreshional and very rarely win all 3 rounds. We can usually clear round 2 but then we all get murdered on round 3. The overwhelming amount of boss salmons is brutal.

Their design is really cool and weird. I'm not sure why they want with salvaged cookware but its definitely...unique. I assume that flaming grill spinning around on Marooner's Bay is a Salmonid war banner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What is even the point of respawn punisher?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

LethalGeek posted:

Making the other people respawn slower after you splat them keeps them out of the game longer which means that's that many less seconds they're putting ink down which gives an output advantage. The cost is if you are losing you're going to be out a lot more yourself.

Edit: In this game staying alive is better than trading/eating a death because you need all the time you can get to lay down more ink or push an objective in rank.

Oh, I thought respawn punisher only affected people that splat you, not people you splat.

Saint Freak posted:

Lol someone didn't read the 300 page employee manual

Everyone should cause its got some important ~lore~

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does squid run speed affect how fast you move when using brushes/rollers?

Frankston posted:

Is it worth going through single player at all? Haven't touched it yet.

Its pretty fun and not that long. Also if its anything like Splatoon 1 then the single player has stuff you can unlock and use in multiplayer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else keep sitting in Flow's shop and space out listening to the music?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some tips for Salmon Run since I've played too much of it;

-If you don't wait for everyone with an egg to get on the lift in Marooner's Bay before inking it, you're scum.
-The easiest way to die is to get knocked into the water, especially at low and high tide. Be mindful of the knockback caused by the attacks of the various salmonids. Even if you have the health to tank a few hits it won't matter if they shove you into the ocean.
-When swimming back to the basket, throw a bomb at your feet if you have the ink. This will splat some of the salmonids that are chasing you.
-You will drown in golden eggs at high ranks. Actually securing them without getting killed is the hard part. So if you splat a boss super far from the basket, don't sit by the eggs waiting for your team to come because odds are they are trying to kill 4 other bosses right now. Just grab an egg and go.
-Flyish, snipers, and drizzlers will overwhelm your team from afar if you don't clean them out. Be mindful of them when they spawn, even if you can't recover the eggs they drop. Don't tunnel vision on killing them though cause then you'll get smacked by their friends and probably die.
-If a maws is targeting you, lure it back to the basket. You should be doing this with all the bosses that chase you but its easiest to pull off with maws.
-Once you meet quota, just focus on surviving if things are getting out of hand. If the basket is surrounded by salmonids and your entire team is dead, just retreat and wait out the round instead of trying to play hero.
-You can shoot down the drizzlers' rockets to negate them. If you hit them from the right angle, the rocket will even fly back into the drizzler and kill it. Keep this in mind cause preventing the ink cloud is really helpful.
-gently caress grillers

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jarogue posted:

I love when a wall just shot up in my face on my way back.

Once I saw a teammate get overwhelmed by a huge wave of salmonids down by the lift. So like a hero, I jumped down and cut a path through them to tag him and secure an egg. When we ran back to the lift to escape he inked it before I got on and I got smeared against the wall by a scrapper a second later :geno:

quote:

Also you can shot drizzlers when they parachute and grillers are easy to kill with Sting Ray or wait for them to do the gyro attack

The grillers spinning around isn't an attack, it means they've taken sufficient damage to be stunned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr. Grizz please I'm too young to die

MR. GRIZZ PLEASE

Yes that is 3 steel eels clipping through each other and he did dock my pay for losing :saddowns:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why not use the splash down in that situation?

Because there was a maws right under me that kept showing up every time I got in position to hit the drivers with it. Maws will happily jump high enough to snap you out of a splash down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jarogue posted:

Is Mr. Grizz a spirit of a bear in a wooden bear or a guy talking through a wooden bear with a speaker.

The bear has antennas coming out of it so he obviously just shoved a radio inside of it. I picture him as some fat crab.

Bears are probably demonic gods to the salmonids.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just want a reward from Salmon Run that lets me use the work clothes in turf war. I want everyone to know I've sold my soul to Mr. Grizz and the company.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Astro7x posted:

So do all Salmon Run players get these same bonuses/points/whatever, regardless of performance?

I guess I don't really understand the point of this mode other than to have fun. It looks like I can unlock some new gear but that will take forever

Well yes, generally the point of playing a game is to have fun :regd09:

But unlocking the bonuses isn't that hard. It looks bad at the start but as you reach higher ranks you get way more points. So if you're actually good at it you can unlock stuff pretty quickly. I played for aboutt an hour and a half this morning and almost filled out my entire rewards card.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What amiboo gives you the helmet that looks like it was stolen from Advent?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get why they don't just let you change the main ability of gear. I wanna be fashionable but its so hard when the main ability of gear I want is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah if there's a way to change main abilities I couldn't find it.

Weird thing is the game supports the same clothing with different main abilities already. That Grizzco shirt can have any main ability from what I've seen.