Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Can't wait to splat dudes again

I bought the switch for this

https://twitter.com/Dystify/status/883001854006890496

Get hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

incoherent posted:

I don't know it could be just be one of those nvidia specific AA implementations that are usually free at 2-4x.

Sure; point is game look good now :thumbsup:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm back!

First splatfest is a good one, and confirms that Marina is amazing and Pearl is awful

Marina throwing shade! :iceburn:

Pearl Antoinette

:drat:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Are there any male hairstyles where they let their tentacle hair down?

There's 4 hairstyles in the demo for boys, there's one where your hair is kinda half down to the side? But not really, its still tied in the back. The other two have pretty super short normal dude hair (one spikey short tentacles and the other one basically buzzed), and the fourth is the classic tentacle ponytail.

Unsure if the full game will have more styles or not.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 8, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you want long hair just be a girl squid, there's virtually no difference.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God drat Splat2 looks so much better than Splat1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0TXd5w_EuI

FAT BATMAN posted:

So how do y'all feel about the new music for the vendors and menus?

I'm very excited to see what they do with the single player music. The single player soundtrack was so eclectic and fun, and had a distinctly different vibe from the multilayer match music.

I like everything changing up, and I like that the shrimp guy is back now as a taco stand dude instead of the shoe store salesman. However... he appears to sell shrimp dishes? That's kinda disturbing :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

JP commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1qKLklzUs

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

eonwe posted:

are t here people okay with carrying me as dead weight

Its a kids game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Takoluka posted:

have you always been tim buckley's account

...because I don't treat splatoon as an esport? :confused:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's a squids game

corrected

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hey welcome to the show! posted:

You came off kinda poo poo-posty my friend.

E sports never came up.

I was saying somebody who was worried they might drag their team down shouldn't worry because this game isn't an esport

I thought that was implied :v: context matters

eonwe posted:

are t here people okay with carrying me as dead weight

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

do switch games load and run faster if you go digital or physical with them?

For games like Mario Kart and Splatoon, you end up waiting for everybody playing to load before the match starts so it doesn't matter unless you're playing single player.

Internal memory loaded digital games are fastest, then digital on sdcard depending upon how fast the sdcard is, but the carts aren't much slower.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Continuing from past Splatoon traditions, Callie and Marie Pearl and Marina present their sides of the Rock vs Pop Splatfest in Japan with official art. Yes, America, no Japanese players in your Splatfest this weekend.

Perl is the bratty one, she should be pop :colbert:

Frankston posted:

Same. These super limited demos are retarded because in most cases those who are following the game enough to know when they're happening are buying the game anyway.

They're way longer than the old time limited demos, and the real game comes out a week after :shrug:

They're really more stress tests than demos, if that makes you feel better. So they're not really 'retarded' they're just not serving the point you think. Which is... why they're time limited.

E: Massively beaten.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I'm guessing this is why Salmon Run is only available at limited times so they don't split the matchmaking queue

and/or people will get bored quick since there's only one stage at the moment

Yeah basically. Somebody said you can always play it with friends so that seems logical to me.

Having the splatfests and also salmon run as events to get people to run to the game seems to work pretty well for keeping the multiplayer community active. Lots of multiplayer games have been struggling with maintaining the community over time after the game has been out, but Splatoon 1 did an amazingly great job with its drip-feed of free updates and the splatfests.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

You can matchmake into salmon run (unless I watched the video wrong), it's just that it's only at certain times

Overbite said "at will". They understand this. The thing we're all talking about is not being able to do them at any time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

Have they explained how you get meal and drink tickets?

I don't think so.

Most of the meals seemed to give XP bonuses, so my guess is its a sort of catch-up mechanic.
We'll probably all get a set number of meal tickets over time, so people who only play every so often can catch up to those who grind the game all day long everyday.

Lakbay posted:

I'm worried because they look like microtransactions you see in skinner box phone games

That would be bad, but I don't think Nintendo has done any of that yet, other than Amiibos.

Could be amiibo rewards though yeah.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lakbay posted:

Will I have to buy the dumb headset if I want to play with goons

No, only if you want to talk to goons while you play.

I plan on spamming "booyah!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

what is the ratio of useful to stupid idiot phrases on the built in chat wheel? I wish to fit in as much of the latter onto mine

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

The real question is where the gently caress are our splatoon 2 joycons?

Maybe you're asking about a US release which they sadly haven't announced, but considering Switch isn't region locked in any way, I imagine we could import them easy enough by the end of the month.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Blank Construct posted:

game mode for desert supremacy

:cheeky:

*dessert

ovenboy posted:

Never played the original, but I'm hyped up for this thanks to this thread. I made a fudgy cheesecake the other day that was pretty good, so obviously team cake. How does this affect the game?

Its easy to miss, but if you load up the demo now, you can find a little stand in the middle of the square that lets you pick team cake or team icecream, and put on your team t-shirt. Then this weekend we'll all throw down in the demo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

irlZaphod posted:

I think in the Direct they mentioned that through the App it's a dedicated chat for you team. So I would think that even if you're just playing with 3 strangers you'll be able/have to chat with them.

Nintendo? HELL NO. No way in hell is Nintendo letting kids talk to anybody not on their friend list.

It doesn't even go through the game, dude. You hear the game audio mixed in with a completely separate audio source, which is just you chatting with your friends. The switch is not involved in audio chat at all, and your phone just has your friends on it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

enojy posted:

That's like 15% bummer (that saves won't get you anything in the full game) and 85% adorable (wtf is a super sea snail?)

In Splat 1 some gear had 1 ability, some 2 and some 3. But some of the gear with 1 or 2 looked fresh, so you could use sea snails to give it more slots so it'd be on par with the 3 slot gear.

Now in Splat 2 abilities are more like gems from diablo, so I wonder if sea snails will also be used to remove or implant abilities as well.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Four-player splitscreen in local play, but I can't remember if you can have multiple players on one console online.

Is it 4 players now? That's amazing if so, do you have a citation?

irlZaphod posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm hoping for at least 2 players online like MK8DX, but we'll see...

Splat 1 didn't let 2 players go online but they specifically said splat 2 can

226 posted:

Sorry to rain on the parade but I just checked this. It's one player per switch.

I also suspect that playing Salmon Run anytime with friends refers to local multiplayer.

Wait what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they've actually said you can make your own private lobbies online and do whatever you please together.

Rexroom posted:

Yeah, the option to just have your own fun with your online friends was there from the first Splatoon, there's no reason why that wouldn't be possible this time around.

Guys you're getting confused. We're talking about splitscreen.

Splat 1 you could play 2 player splitscreen but only offline by yourselves 1v1 which was boring.

I'm *pretty* sure I heard them say 2 players can now go online because that's a huge deal, 1v1 is basically pointless. And with the two joycons it would make sense. But maybe I was just dreaming that and it wasn't confirmed?

There's no way they'll let us play 4 player splitscreen online, but there's also no way they won't let us form lobbies online with friends if everybody has their own switch.

The only thing in question is can 2 people ON ONE SWITCH go online?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like this thread is gonna get horney about video games and that's not good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is this your first video game thread?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

Their website says this

So, I just bought a second Switch/game copy for my husband in order for us to dominate league play as duos. (And if we can somehow both play online off one Switch, I will donate it to a friend under the assumption they will also join us in kid squidding.)

Yeah I'm pretty sure 2 people can go online with 1 switch and 1 copy of the game.

If you have another switch and game copy though you won't have to go splitscreen and you'll get much better performance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

One week to go thread, we can make it.

The weekend splatfest will revitalize us.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

226 posted:

On the Japanese Nintendo site Splatoon 2 is listed as having 1 player in TV, Tabletop, and Handheld mode.
Arms is listed as having 1-4 players in TV and Tabletop mode, and 1 player in Handheld mode.

Until there's some confirmation either way, I'm just gonna assume no splitscreen.

Ugh, that sucks.

Oh well, my friends already have Switches.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

Ice cream is an inferior dessert because it causes ice cream headaches. It also melts. It's reliance on temperature is it's downfall.

Just eat it a tiny bit slower :v:

Cake is inferior because its dry and chokes up your mouth. There's a few rare good cakes, but most cake is pretty meh really once you get past the frosting. Its just bread with sugar on top.

Meanwhile Icecream is tasty dairy goodness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Lemme ask the real question here:

On your birthday, do you want delicious cake to celebrate your day or a cup of ordinary ice cream? You know your parents love you, so why on earth would they offer ice cream on the best day of your life? Makes one think.

On my birthday I want nice cold icecream with a nice hot peach cobbler. The contrast is absolutely delicious.

Meanwhile soggy cake is just bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

On my birthday I want nice cold icecream with a nice hot peach cobbler. The contrast is absolutely delicious.

Shame Boner posted:

I always asked my mom to make pie. Pie is great with ice cream.

Cake pmuch just sucks.

:) :hf: :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kirios posted:

Edit: A pie is a cake.

:frogout:

I'll accept tiaramasu as cake, but not loving pie. No sir/m'am.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leave the splatgun.

Take the cannoli.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Huh, I tried getting on my JP account but it still connects me to the US servers and splatfest. What gives?

Anwyays, US splatfest coming up.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty sure ownership doesn't transfer over regions, and not over the separate accounts required to download in different regions. So if you want to play in US, JP, and EU you need to buy the game 3 times.

Yeah this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

LPG Giant posted:

Yeah there's three different game files out there: one for jp, eu and us/au. So you need to get on the eshop with your jp account. Us splatfest is not for another 4 hours right?

Yeah we've got till

Saturday, 7/15

3 PM—7 PM PACIFIC

5 PM - 9 PM CENTRAL

6 PM - 10 PM EASTERN

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. I forgot about time zones being a thing. So much for having the entire afternoon to play before going out to dinner.

EU splatfest is live and running for the next 2 hours. Create an EU account and get downloadin!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Do you need 4 people to play Splatfest with a team? Not working with just my friend and I. Was hoping it'd just auto-connect two more.

Yeah it should have been obvious like, a week ago? We posted about this a ton in the thread. We warned ya!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah it does suck though, I have a friend or two who will play but not 3.

We'll see how the final game is, or how salmon run is. Hopefully you can salmon run with 2?

I'm in the EU splatfest right now!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Superman punch is my new favorite super by a loving mile holy poo poo

The jetpack is really fun too though, and requires finesse.

And the lock-on missiles feel way more fair than the inkzooka from splat1. The lock-on and missile barrage feels cooler, but its much easier to dodge and less OP.

Overall LOVING splat 2 already!

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm sure the direct from the other day said you can queue with a friend to be matched with other pairs for 4v4.

Cool

Escobarbarian posted:

That's probably for the main game, and not this Splatfest?

Yeah exactly

Dr Cheeto posted:

I mean just friggin try it and see what happens

Reggie probably won't bust through your wall and smash your Switch or anything

He did try it and he couldn't get it to work.

The graphics before showed specifically 4 squids so I could see that being how it works in the demo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Okay I was totally anti-Pearl for a long time but she's got dance moves, growing on me

The neon messages are amazing

Escobarbarian posted:

I've said this before but drat being able to choose your jump point while waiting to respawn is such an awesome game-changer

Yeah I was just about to post about how cool this is, saves so much time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I wish I could remap buttons or just remap my muscle memory because after 300 hours of BotW I'm pressing to bring up the map instead of to jump and it is just loving killing me.

Gotta get my splat memory back so I can suck at zelda again I guess

Same, I keep pressing map and I'm like fak fak fak

All games in TYOOL2017 should have button control options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

How many maps is the full game launching with? I got a little time on the first two but the full two hours on the skatepark/Moray Towers and they felt fantastic.

I'm not sure, but probably quite a few, and then splat 1 got constant free map updates and I expect the same from splat2.