Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Overbite posted:

I like Pearl, shes the hype one of the group and just runs around the stage spitting out rhymes and dancing. She's not a gremlin or a toad. Also I like cake more than ice cream because ice cream gives me an upset stomach.

I didn't care for either Callie or Marie and I didn't like their songs at all, but Off the Hook is really catchy and they're both cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3NSGvrNag

Here's Pearl solo over a simple beat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7WMZTfnRc

Pearl's a bad bratty stereotype, and they're not being subtle about it with the crown and royal bob-cut hair.

Infinitum posted:

Actually there are only 2 that are good

:great:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

giffan posted:

A neato thing that was pointed out elsewhere is that the tentacles behind callie in the single player poster could be reminiscent of both Pearl and Marina. I thought they were clearly DJ Octavio's at first, but the left tentacle is smooth and the X shape is similar to Pearl's zipper cut out shape. I really do hope they're part of the single player somehow.

Also, booted up the Splatfest demo and was immediately reminded that I absolutely love all the posters/signs/graffiti found in the Splatoon world.

The shapes in their zippers are those of their irises :ssh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

gootuber looks kinda interesting. i used to use a splatterscope a lot but it got pretty tough when vsing a bad guy with a 3k with the same amount of skill cause theyd just zone you. its hard enough to close the distance without getting splatted but you had to hope the 3k either just used their charge or didnt see you when you finally popped out cause you yourself needed about a second and a half for a shot. the saved charge looks like itll shake things up for us aggressive snipers

im also liking the change to the stingray from the testfire, in a charger to charger duel the first squid to pop it would lose since the second would know where to fire straight off the bat, at least now with the wall hacks you know who to aim for first

on a splatfest note, one thing i missed a lot in tokyo were the little cake shops they had everywhere, we have a few in melbourne but ive never seen a place that sells montblancs :<<<

(bottom left, slurpssss)

Can't help with the Montblanc, but if you want some amaaazing cupcakes and general baked goods that prove Cake Supremacy, go check out a place in Ascot Vale called Mister Nice Guy's Bakeshop.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

Is a pair of jeans too much to ask for

In the extreme post-global-warming temperatures and humidity? Are you crazy? :pseudo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pierson posted:

That seems dumb but as a fairly new Nintendo consumer I've quickly learned Nintendo do fuckin' weird poo poo sometimes.

If you just let an open beta run 24-7 you won't get anywhere near a server-challenging population to actually test your poo poo. Forcing it into an isolated window actually gets a large-sized population simultaneously for a decent stretch of time to push the hardware properly.

Also if you just let people have it for free weeks in advance all you're doing is burning off launch hype and sales.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Worked for Overwatch

Different playerbase, a shitload of hardcore-dedicated fans, and twenty years netcoding experience of online multiplayer games. Nintendo's also still got that old-style marketing mentality that they should push for a solid on-day launch, rather than a soft release with an open beta all the way to launch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Icecream Cake?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Brothers, plural.

They're getting a Zelda switch bundle each. Splatoon 2 for their birthdays in August.

I fully expect fistfights to result from the Splatfests.

Hold out a bowl of ice cream in one hand, and a slice of cake in the other. Drive a wedge between brothers as they must choose a side :unsmigghh:.

irlZaphod posted:

How many players does the game support on a single Switch at once?

Four-player splitscreen in local play, but I can't remember if you can have multiple players on one console online.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

226 posted:

Sorry to rain on the parade but I just checked this. It's one player per switch.

I also suspect that playing Salmon Run anytime with friends refers to local multiplayer.

No, they've actually said you can make your own private lobbies online and do whatever you please together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

irlZaphod posted:

Ahhh that's a shame. Not a big deal though, I was just curious. Thanks for that.

It's a fair question, considering ARMS and Mario Kart 8DX both had 2P Online.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DalaranJ posted:

Pearl amiibo for merit.
Marina amiibo for excellence.

I'm honestly surprised they didn't have those announced along with the Pearl and Marina reveal in the last Direct.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Be honest with yourself and vote for what you actually like. Don't be like the Marie diehards in the first game that pretended they actually roasted hotdogs over a campfire instead of marshmallows.

The only wieners that got roasted were the ones that sided with Marie :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

It'll have similarly themed amiibo outfits like in Splatoon 1. Well almost: The samurai outfit has been replaced by a ninja uniform, and the power armor looks like it escaped from Battlestar Galactica. The school uniform will be still there, at least.

What do the original splatoon amiibo unlock exactly? Is it the outfits from the first game, or just the same respective outfit their respective new version does?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ice Cream simply comes in more varied and distinct flavors. I think you can get any flavor cake comes in, as an ice cream. But you can't get every ice cream flavor as a cake.

Quality trumps melty quantity :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blank Construct posted:

Well dang.

e: looks like Team Rock won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwrg0db_zY

Pierson posted:

Is there a good writeup for tips for new players on how to play (like how to best take/hold territory, how to make best use of weapons) and how the motion controls work? I love the game but it's super-clear when there's an experienced guy on the other team.

Check your map every so often, make sure there isn't some cheeky little poo poo running behind your team undoing all your hard work. If you're gonna run with something that includes Tenta Missiles, jump back to the Spawn Point first so you're in a nice safe spot that affords you an angle that'll likely hit all four Bad Guys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lakbay posted:

The motion controls are making my brain hurt, especially since there was vertical Y stick adjustment in BotW

Nothing stopping you from switching to plain old thumbstick controls in the options.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
God dammit game, stop giving us Moray Towers. That's the fifth round in a row now! :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think it also needs to be mentioned that Marina laid out some absolutely brutal smack-talk on Pearl in the level announcements at the start.

You'd think Loss would stop being funny at some point. I'm still waiting for it to happen, but I'm not gonna complain in the meantime :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Something I really like in Splatoon 2 is that when you get splatted "This Way" changes to "Ouch!" so you can let your guys know there's someone running around behind them claiming turf.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Bourgeois ice-cream-eating peasants will pay for this insult one day! ONE. DAY! :wotwot:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ineffiable posted:

So how was post release support like in the first game? Added more cosmetic stuff, maps, weapons?

I think I saw it mentioned they have two years of splat fest ideas planned out and they'll support the game for one year at least? Just want to know what to expect. I never got into the first game.

Regular releases of new maps and/or weapons. Plus a larger selection of background music tracks in rounds.

Let me put this way; The reason they went out of their way to mention Sheldon having a fast-forward option in his dialogue was because in the first game if you stopped playing for a few months and came back, he'd likely have a good 5-6 new weapons to talk about having 'just' arrived instock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is my first Splatoon game and I can't tell the difference either.

...are we racist?

Inklings just have one sucker at the end of each hair-tentacle, the Octolings have several on each :eng101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zelder posted:

And we gotta beat him and his elite AustrianSquidstrian goons in the big after school splat off or else we're done for!

What, with your partner splatted by a falling Zapfish, and already being busy trying to find the killer who talked JUST. LIKE. THIIIIIIIIIISSS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Friday's an expensive day for me; Splatoon 2, the Pro Controller, and Cloud and Bayonetta amiibo (The FFVII and original Bayonetta versions) :shepspends:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zeruel posted:

Just wondering, will this release at midnight of the 21st worldwide? So it'll unlock in about 12 hours for me living in Australia?

Yup, local midnight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

i have a job interview on friday but all i want to do is splatoon

Are you forgetting that the Switch is portable? :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frankston posted:

So how do the shops work? Are different clothes available at random times or do they not change until you've bought what's available?

Different clothes at random times. They rotate with the map changes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Its eb games you dummy, if it was a new release it would still lose 80% of its value.

If you really want to sell your games use ebay or something like leaptrade, EB is ripping you off and you should know that.

Man I haven't sold a game to EB since I was like 13. You gotta be super desperate.

You might maybe squeak out a decent trade if you have a Level 4 card in the Aussie membership system (you get an extra 20% trade value), but I've never bothered to trade anything so I have no idea what the base prices are like :shrug:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My purchase went through!

...On my preorder at EB Games, and I'm heading home with it right now along with a Splatoon Pro Controller :smuggo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Futaba Anzu posted:

so what's the diff between main abilities and sub abilities? do sub abilities not count until it hits some threshold or do they just provide a smaller percentage of the full thing?

Smaller percentage.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I pity all you loving losers who went digital.

You didn't get a sweet-rear end Slosher and Squid keychain :smuggo:.

JackDarko posted:

Why do I keep hitting X to jump? Was that the jump button in the original version. It's been a while.

Yup, it was. I do the same drat thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Do the clothes in the store change? I swear all the shoes have lovely abilities I do not want

They change when the maps do, every couple of hours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Honestly it's the last 30-40 seconds that'll decide a match and the rest kinda feels like fluff.

It's fun fluff but in turf wars if you get down 1-2 people in that amount of time there's no way to bounce back usually unless you pop off and kill the enemy team yourself. That being said not trying to sound like I'm complaining, just what I kind of expect if I see my team x'd out around that time.

What you need to keep in mind with Turf War in general is that it's all fun and games until it hits the last minute. Then things get serious :toughguy:.

Also I've been playing with my new Pro Controller and it is really comfortable. The Joycons are perfectly fine, but I have big hands so the Pro's bigass buttons and thumbsticks are just wonderful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nephzinho posted:

I see bonuses tied to point thresholds with some armor here and there, and buoys elsewhere. Armor is obvious, what do the buoys do?

They're not buoys, they're Gatchapon balls. Ie; randomized prizes that you open and find out what you won (generally a bit of cash, and probably a chance for Crusty Sean vouchers).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My only complaint with Splatoon 2 is it doesn't go to Off The Hook to announce the new stages as they rotate, it just goes "MAPS HAVE CHANGED".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not a Children posted:

haha jeez dude just restart the game if you want it that badly

Being able to skip the tedious text is pretty much the best thing they've done next to salmon run

Salmon Run is drat fun, but does anyone else find the Steelheads harder to put down than they should because of that drat rim around the edge of their grenade launcher? That and the Charger is just an utter waste of a weapon slot in it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

The funny thing is the charger is the weapon to use on the bosses like that, so you know back up and do that.

Here's the thing; It's a weapon designed for charging up and picking off single enemies. Except you can generally out-DPS it with anything else, including the Roller, and you also can't crowd-control for poo poo which is half the job. You also don't have the range to use it either if high tied rolls in (which it almost always does for at least one round), and the other half of the job is fetching Golden Eggs. So you're either sitting with your thumb up your rear end not being useful because you can't run from your sniping perch to come help, or just being heinously slow at killing anything. It'd be better replaced with a Splatling Gun or Bucket.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nephzinho posted:

A huge part of the Salmon Run seems to be the cycling weapon assignments.

Yup, and the Charger's still dead weight in the horde mode. What's your point?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bandaid.friend posted:

Are the foods from Crusty Sean timed, like potions? Is there a reason not to buy them as soon as I get a ticket?

They last 20 matches, they aren't timed. Use them as much as you please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaubocks posted:

played a handful of rounds of salmon run. poo poo's good. won the first two rounds but then promptly lost the next three i think. salmon run can get very out of control VERY fast.

i think most of my failures came down to two specific bosses-- the jetpack missile guy and the guy with the bomb that comes out of his head. the jetpack guy i'm not so hot on that you can only really hit him with bombs. it's not really easy to aim a bomb at a moment's notice and i had a number of times where the bomb i threw just barely bounced off the rim to his missile launcher and the bomb fell out instead. the head bomb guy's problem is just that the time where he's vulnerable is super short. you need to be real close up to hit him, but if you don't kill him you then have to get far away to avoid the bomb, then you have to spend your time inking your path to him and by the time you get there he's already launching another bomb. the charger is the only real weapon that has the range to handle this guy at the moment but fuckin :lol: if you can assemble that kind of coordination with pubbies. maybe they'll learn eventually. maybe.

mode is cool.

Steelhead's problem is the loving brim of his 'hat'. Half your shots will bounce off it instead of the bomb (even with a Charger) and then, well, you get a bomb in the face.