Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I found this great Instructable on how to burn down my house, with neat MQTT integration so I can start a fire directly from OpenHAB:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Motorized-WiFi-IKEA-Roller-Blind/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOE7pMF-ScY

A capacitor shorted out 9V to ground while I was asleep and burned the tracks right off the PCB, leaving nice deep scorch marks on my wall. I love waking up to the smell of burnt electronics.

Home automation is great, just make sure your home is non-flammable I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

turns out being good at touching computers doesn't make a good electrical engineer

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

9 volts?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
is there something like shenzhen io but for real electronics? i want virtual electronics that i can gently caress around without spending $$$$$$$ and waiting weeks upon weeks for parts.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

is there something like shenzhen io but for real electronics? i want virtual electronics that i can gently caress around without spending $$$$$$$ and waiting weeks upon weeks for parts.

your own imagination

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

hifi posted:

your own imagination

my imagination cant do all the formulas and poo poo friend. also my imagination doesnt have a catalog of parts to explore (<<< exploration is what i'm after).

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The esp8266 runs on 3.3v but the nodemcu board has a regulator on it so in theory it should handle 9-10v. The motor isn't strong enough to lift the blind at 5V.
The datasheet for the L293DD says the max input voltage for control is 7V though so 9V for everything was a bad idea.

I think the main problem is that there's no fuse anywhere in the circuit to prevent the magic smoke from escaping

Attempt two has a buck converter set to 5V, maybe this time it won't catch on fire :v:

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

r u ready to WALK posted:

The esp8266 runs on 3.3v but the nodemcu board has a regulator on it so in theory it should handle 9-10v. The motor isn't strong enough to lift the blind at 5V.
The datasheet for the L293DD says the max input voltage for control is 7V though so 9V for everything was a bad idea.

I think the main problem is that there's no fuse anywhere in the circuit to prevent the magic smoke from escaping

Attempt two has a buck converter set to 5V, maybe this time it won't catch on fire :v:

put it in a metal junction box or project box not a 3d printed case you idiot

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
why can't you just get up and close the blinds s yourself

They're right there just walk over and close it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Look at this guy, I bet your blinds don't even have an IP address

Shameful

(the plan is to build 9 more of these once I'm less incompetent at electronics)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

yes, but it is hella expensive

the grand daddy of them all is cadence orcad/pspice. it's windows-only and costs a couple grand. it is, underneath the covers, derived from a 1980s version of SPICE, the original circuit simulator. it is not particularly easy to use unless you got a lot of time to learn it

there used to be a much more affordable circuit sim lacking the board layout tools and poo poo sold by national instruments, called "electronics workbench," but i can't seem to find it on their website anymore. they only have references to their professional product, multisim. this poo poo is also derived from SPICE. the el cheapo academic version was very easy to use but pretty limited in what it could do beyond simple simulation

on the open source side, you can use geda + old school 1980s open source SPICE together. this is not a real nice experience. geda is fine as a design tool to lay out schematics but it is not v. much fun for simulation. the last time i tried it nothing was integrated, so you used geda to generate netlists and then fed them to a SPICE command line tool.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
oh cool looks like ltspice still has a free trial: http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
there's this thing https://www.tinkercad.com/circuits

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mods please change the thread title to 'fault and catch fire'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

turns out being good at touching computers doesn't make a good electrical engineer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
directly controlling the motor on a system not designed for it seems like a pretty bad idea. just send the rf signals to the built in controller and let it handle opening and closing.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

home automation is pretty dumb, i like a 100% analog house with high quality switches/fixtures/etc requiring my dainty computer touching hands to operate manually

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah ltspice has free version but it's about the least fun thing to gently caress around with in the world.

Fuckin lomarf at mounting the pcb directly against the wall tho

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

"Home Automation" is a misnomer, it's almost never automated in any meaningful way. You're just making it harder to turn on your lightbulb by having to unlock your phone, open the correct app (separate apps for each device of course) and try to click on the tiny button that hopefully does what you want.

It's obviously superior compared to using the boring old lightswitch that's right there on the wall.

My favorite thing so far is collecting hundreds of useless stats about my house

OpenHAB pushes everything it knows about to InfluxDB because why not

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

muckswirler posted:

Fuckin lomarf at mounting the pcb directly against the wall tho

I've mangled the box in OpenSCAD to add a solid backing plate, space for a proper voltage regulator and taller standoffs so the board isn't directly touching anything

The instructable made it seem like the original creator knew what he was doing but holy hell there was so many problems with this

mystes
May 31, 2006

The instructable made it seem like the original creator knew what he was doing but holy hell there was so many problems with this
It's like copying and pasting from Stackexchange, but with the added excitement of knowing your house might burn down.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

You should do the math for the sun's position throughout the day and have the blinds open and close automatically op

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im an ee and i remember there was a linux-based spice solution that was comfortable to use.

ive forgotten what it was called same way ive forgotten everything else they taught me

i recommend googling around what ee university departments recommend their students

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

poty posted:

im an ee and i remember there was a linux-based spice solution that was comfortable to use.

ive forgotten what it was called same way ive forgotten everything else they taught me

i recommend googling around what ee university departments recommend their students

we used ltspice. far as i know it's windows only, although it runs in wine :shrug:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm super psyched for our dumbass automated home future where all someone has to do is cut the phone/tv cable coming to the house and the occupants literally cannot use their house any more

then they die falling down the stairs in the middle of the night when they can't turn on a light, or when their smoke alarms fail to detect a faulty pcb lighting their house on fire

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
"your honor, the defendant is accused of willfully and with malice aforethought unplugging a router causing the death of a family of four when they couldn't unlock their front door and subsequently starved to death"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Stymie posted:

"your honor, the defendant is accused of willfully and with malice aforethought unplugging a router causing the death of a family of four when they couldn't unlock their front door and subsequently starved to death"

it would own if this happened

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

"Home Automation" is a misnomer, it's almost never automated in any meaningful way. You're just making it harder to turn on your lightbulb by having to unlock your phone, open the correct app (separate apps for each device of course) and try to click on the tiny button that hopefully does what you want.

It's obviously superior compared to using the boring old lightswitch that's right there on the wall.

My favorite thing so far is collecting hundreds of useless stats about my house

OpenHAB pushes everything it knows about to InfluxDB because why not

im the graph for when ur postbox is open

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

OP is holding it wrong

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ADINSX posted:

You should do the math for the sun's position throughout the day and have the blinds open and close automatically op

just use a light sensor imo

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
[quote="“blowfish”" post="“474213616”"]
it would own if this happened
[/quote]

maybe it would stop ISPs from deploying CPEs assembled from back-alley Shenzhen parts

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I like being able to say 'Alexa, lights on' and 'Alexa, thermostat 75' when I get home

Intelligent use of money it ain't but it amuses me

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Through the magic of https://github.com/cflurin/homebridge-mqtt and https://nodered.org I am now able to tell Siri to open my bedroom blinds, and HomeKit supports grouping by room so you can say "open the livingroom blinds" or "close all blinds" to control several at once.

And all it took was three weeks of loving around and ordering parts on ebay to save several seconds of my day!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gonna nerd it again with that nodered since the nest stuff i used with homebridge was okay but a bit too meh without better control integration. itd be nice to patch in the ceiling fans with the central air fan so i could just cycle air instead of going room to room like a caveman

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

quote:

Regarding Cat Genie
When it works, it's awesome. We bought one when we moved to a new condo, and even had a closet built with a cutout to fit the device. Cat drops a deuce, Cat Genie scoops out deuce, grinds it into a slush and pumps it into your toilet. Easy!

Until it fucks up, and it will. I'm not sure how this guy just wound up with toasted turds. Ours wound up getting cat hair clogged in the pump impeller roughly once every 2-4 weeks. Then I'd get the pleasure of tearing apart a machine full of liquefied cat poo poo to get at the pump and pull out whatever clumps of cat hair and cat poo poo I could get my fingers on, all while immersed in liquid cat poo poo. It was a deeply unpleasant experience and after a year or so of this we gave up because nobody could take it anymore and we'd rather scoop poops twice a day then deal with the clogged up Cat Genie again.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

lol at dealing with that for a year instead of just throwing the whole heap into the loving trash after the first time it happened.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

polyester concept posted:

lol at dealing with that for a year instead of just throwing the whole heap into the loving trash after the first time it happened.

this, but owning a cat in general

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol :pwn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ROFL cat owners are such morons

"let me buy something that will attempt to grind and flush my pets fecal matter. btw my pet is a long hair cat that will regularly poo poo out hairy poops, but i've never known long batches of hair to clog drains"

here's an idea: buy a kit to toilet train your dumb cat and the poo poo can just magically be in the toilet without going through some complex poo poo disposal machine

• Locked thread