Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jackie D posted:

That's probably because baseball's playoff format causes more parity than basketball or hockey. Division winners can go out in a best-of-1

I forgot they added the 2nd wild card but the best-of-5 LDS still does this

I think it's less the playoff format and more that baseball is simply a more random sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
clearly the best way to solve the big market/small market thing is to be like Australia and make like 2/3 the teams in any league be from NYC

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
isn't Financial Fair Play more about making sure owners don't spend wildly and make clubs insolvent, than about parity

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah I'm not a big fan of super-parity but Bayern Munich responding to challengers by buying all their competitors' best players eventually got ridiculous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dont be mean to me posted:

Let me get this straight.

Fifteen million people deserve to be murdered horribly.

The world deserves to be driven to the brink of global war.

Human rights deserve to be flushed down the toilet even harder than usual.

All so whatever team your sad rear end watches play a kid's game stand a half-percent chance of drawing in journeymen. Not even all-stars.

What is wrong with you?!

Yes

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dont be mean to me posted:

Then you want me to die.

Probably several other SAS posters and a bunch of other Forums-posters, but you want me to die to my face.

Calm down OP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mods please rename the thread to "Should all Angelenos Be Brutally Firebombed To Death? A Serious Discussion"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Doctor Teeth posted:

I only really follow international football, not club, but I thought the whole point of Financial Fair Play was more to prevent another Manchester City from happening (ludicrously rich new owner splurges ungodly amounts of money to propel them into title contention and disrupting the big 4) rather than to encourage parity.

Well that's kind of happening in Germany with the extremely fake RB Leipzig team so it's not doing a very good job of that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The actual death is to be the Cleveland Browns or Toronto Maple Leafs, where you have a die-hard fanbase and an owner who knows that he doesn't have to actually try to win titles to make lots of money, because the fans won't stop going to games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The current era of the same like three or four people winning every tennis tournament for a solid decade has like no parallel in the entire history of tennis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
So few tennis players dominate because changes in courts mean it is now much easier to be good on both clay and hardcourt/grasscourt tournaments. Also because of steroids. Tennis right now is basically cycling in the early 2000s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is a very good article about the different court types in tennis and how they've recently changed btw

http://grantland.com/features/court-surfaces-golden-age-men-tennis/

• Locked thread