Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

patonthebach posted:

You gotta figure for the past 15 years or so there was a group of like 3-5 teams each playoffs that had a non-zero chance of winning it all. 2 (or even 1 like this year) teams having a chance sucks. NBA sucks when it comes to surprises now. I am not sure what can be done about it though. I'm not sure I want a league that will veto a signing like a top 5 player like KD joining a team that just had the best regular season of all time. Although it was a joke. And still is.

No, it's usually just 2-3. Rarely ever does it get to 5. Ask Zogo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The GSW situation was a once in a lifetime thing that required so drat much to happen in a specific way at specific times to make it possible. Any thing short of removing the idea of max contracts won't fix it. And even that may not fix it.

Under old CBA:
Curry had taken significantly less money due to worries about his ankles and then became MVP shortly thereafter. Draymond was a second round pick that turned into one of the greatest defenders in the league in additional to a great playmkaing and ok shooting big and also took less money than he could have on his next contract due to much of his accolades for that happening after that second contract. Klay Thompson became a top 3 3pt shooter and great perimeter defender and also took less money than he could have on his second contract.

Under new CBA:
Giant cap spike the likes of which the league hasn't seen before. A top 3 player is an unrestricted free agent (though his original team can offer more money/years than anyone else). Since all of GSW's key players are on contracts that were under their real value under the old CBA and salary cap, they now have a ridiculous amount of cap space. Just enough to fit in Durant.

If Curry wasn't injury prone before signing his second contract, if Draymond was a first round draft pick and had broken out in a big way before his second contract (2nd rounders get two years, 1st rounders get four, iirc), if Durant hadn't become an UFA the season of the giant cap leap, if any of these contracts had been done in a different year, etc., it wouldn't have happened.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJExile posted:

The finals drew massive ratings. I'm pretty sure they were down across the board the rest of the way compared to previous years.

EDIT: I'm wrong and dumb! Apparently viewership was up on the whole.

Per game ratings across the entire playoffs were up. The fewer total games played resulted in slightly down total ratings.

• Locked thread