Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's Sports Parity? It's that each team has an equal chance of winning the championship. But the reality is much different. We have super-teams, dynasties, and teams that get so close and never can finish the job. The question is, should the leagues and organizers enforce it, and if so, how?

I leave the floor open to you all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

parity in auto racing is basically killing auto racing

Curious as to how you believe this to be why auto racing is dying.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Craig K posted:

wait, no, parity, poo poo, nuke all of the US in order of reverse standings by the local NBA team

I thought the consensus was LA first, not Philly.

Unless we're talking historic, in which case, well the Clippers.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intruder posted:

You mean Brooklyn?

Same difference in that it's not LA going down first.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

The browns are....complicated.

I imagine the fans are also terrified about 1995 happening again so they continue to support them through the thinnest of times. You also have a media class in this city that refuses to be patient with front offices, coaches, and players. While a lot of those i just typed have flat out sucked? There's a lot of other stories where a young QB was rushed into playing time behind a poo poo o-line and pretty much broke the guy's spirit.

I think being in a division like the current AFC North is also a problem. Pre-Roethlisberger, Pre-Flacco? They made progress. They were in the playoffs within 3 years of their existence. I've seen "meh" teams make the playoffs several times. But the Browns rarely get that opprotunity because you have two freak of nature good franchises above them hogging the title and wildcard spot. Not to mention the Bengals.

Right now, it's the Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers/Ravens, (formerly) Saints, (formerly) Colts, and (formerly) Broncos shows in their divisions in recent years. The only division without a dynasty at the division championship level has been the NFC East with a revolving door between all four.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

EvanTH posted:

I don't even understand why hockey and soccer even have goalies, they only make the game worse. Just shrink the net, elevate it slightly and make it illegal for someone to squat in front while playing under a totally different ruleset than the rest of the dudes.

Look into pond hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kirios posted:

The 2017 NBA Playoffs were tremendously boring to watch from start to finish.

They still drew ridiculous ratings. It will never change until people stop watching.

Funny enough, this thread was born out of a discussion in one of the journalism threads, go figure. That said, NASCAR is in the same boat. The product is suffering, but as long as money flows, who gives a poo poo about the quality of the product!

• Locked thread