Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I really do feel there is tremendous parity today in three of the major sports. When it comes to the playoffs, it really could be any team winning it in the MLB or NHL. NFL is a close third as sometimes (more so during the regular season) an underdog can really surprise you and beat a great team with a few well timed turnover recoveries.

NBA has really just gone to poo poo for parity. It's hard for me to work up any interest in the playoffs this year, and next year doesn't seem promising either. Its pretty bad when based on how the playoffs are setup and where the talent is, there is only two teams in the entire NBA really in the picture for a championship. One has a generational talent with LeBron that could convert a middle school team into an 8th seed, but man do I hate how the stockpiling of top players on GSW has made them such a favourite there wasn't much point in even playing the playoffs. Parity my rear end. You could have ran that playoffs 100 times and had GSW win 99 of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Metapod posted:

Parity does not exist in basketball stop believing it ever did

You gotta figure for the past 15 years or so there was a group of like 3-5 teams each playoffs that had a non-zero chance of winning it all. 2 (or even 1 like this year) teams having a chance sucks. NBA sucks when it comes to surprises now. I am not sure what can be done about it though. I'm not sure I want a league that will veto a signing like a top 5 player like KD joining a team that just had the best regular season of all time. Although it was a joke. And still is.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 18, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

EvanTH posted:

It's weird because I think complaining about the Warriors sorta started this whole discussion off, but the NBA actually has some of the best parity rules of any of the 4 majors in the USA. The Warriors only exist because Curry resigned after a massive injury, Draymond takes a massive discount for god knows what reason, and Durant was promised Nike money to undermine Steph's stupid UA shoes. Whoops I accidentally wrote NBA instead of USA just now then corrected it. Every morning I wake up and put my right hand across my heart and takk de plejj.

But it's also the spot where individual superstars can have the most impact. Ain't no parity while LeBron is out there being Jordan But Better.

Just because a league has a tight salary cap doesn't mean they have tons of parity. If you have 2 or 3 top 5 players on your basketball team. Especially a team that just had the best regular season ever. And you add another top 5 player. gently caress. Ridiculous. Has there ever been a similiar situation where in any major league after having a historical season they add a top 5% that will take up 20% of all plays/minutes? I'd would have to be like the entire WR and RB core for the NFC all star team signing with the Patriots after their 16-0 regular season. And even then I'm not sure if thats equivalent to Durant to GSW. Maybe something like both Ted Williams, Babe Ruth and Mike Trout joining up with that insane Mariners win team.

If anyone it can make it less fair in a way because superstar players want to play with other stars and will pick and choose their spots and their pay. Thats how you get the bottom 10 teams paying top 5 player money to random scrubs that arent even good starters.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 19, 2017

• Locked thread