Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Worst case situation is probably FIFA where, what? 4-ish of the 200+ teams are competitive? And it's almost entirely based on where the mineral extraction criminal billionaires decide to hide their money .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

General Dog posted:

I don't really buy the premise that parity is inherently good or desirable in sports.

the premise is that i want my team to win but the other teams are too good, probably from cheating

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Gigi Galli posted:

When you say FIFA do you mean the international tournaments? This isn't anything that can really be enforced. Talented players come from bigger nations with a bigger history in the sport itself and those nations produce enough of those players to win tournaments. These nations have the biggest leagues and the biggest youth systems as well. Players don't get paid to play for the national team in the traditional sense and there isn't a league, there's just the world cup, the euros, the copa america, etc. T

I think you meant UEFA and it's respective leagues. There is no cap, no draft, basically no oversight at all really, and there never will be unless some new league is formed. There is the recent idea of Financial Fair Play which basically means nothing in practice, and that's about as close as it gets. On an individual league level you are right. Spain, Germany, England, Italy and France all have between 1 and 5 or so teams that could conceivable win a league title. They are the teams preferred by the state and TV companies (Spain), the foreign oil owned teams (England, France), the cheaters only financially solvent (Italy) or just the objectively dominant team with no slowing down (Germany). At a European level basically only those teams have a hope in hell of winning the continental title(s) as well, so maybe you meant that.

I don't really want a cap or a draft or any of that poo poo. It would be nice if the FFP rules were not just there for criminal accounting practice sessions I guess.

Ah, my mistake. Yes, I was thinking UEFA. Was hunting for the umbrella to cover La Liga, Premier League, Ligue 1 and Serie A and I went too wide.

I guess Bundesliga is also an annual a 1 team competition now?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
My personal favorites are the "Citizens For Fire Safety" that was a lobbying front for asbestos manufacturers, and the American Petroleum Institute sounding bizarrely open in its naming scheme to distract from the massive amount of foreign cash it takes in.

dont be mean to me posted:

Let me get this straight.

Fifteen million people deserve to be murdered horribly.

The world deserves to be driven to the brink of global war.

Human rights deserve to be flushed down the toilet even harder than usual.

All so whatever team your sad rear end watches play a kid's game stand a half-percent chance of drawing in journeymen. Not even all-stars.

What is wrong with you?!

Well at first I thought it was just a lil joke but when you put it that way, I'm all aboard. Let's Nuke LA!

Also how does the USA nuking itself precipitate global war

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Craig K posted:

wait, no, parity, poo poo, nuke all of the US in order of reverse standings by the local NBA team

Um this either makes the Raptors #1 or drives the United States of America and Canada to the BRINK OF GLOBAL WAR so it's unacceptable to me

Intruder posted:

You mean Brooklyn?

Gonna be a huge nuke timesaver this coming year because the Knicks and the Nets are looking ready to be #29 and #30

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rotten Cookies posted:

An interesting new take on revenue sharing

Idea: instead of relegation, once a year we take the worst team in the league and allow them to nuke LA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

Parity does not exist in basketball stop believing it ever did

It's weird because I think complaining about the Warriors sorta started this whole discussion off, but the NBA actually has some of the best parity rules of any of the 4 majors in the USA. The Warriors only exist because Curry resigned after a massive injury, Draymond takes a massive discount for god knows what reason, and Durant was promised Nike money to undermine Steph's stupid UA shoes. Whoops I accidentally wrote NBA instead of USA just now then corrected it. Every morning I wake up and put my right hand across my heart and takk de plejj.

But it's also the spot where individual superstars can have the most impact. Ain't no parity while LeBron is out there being Jordan But Better.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I don't even understand why hockey and soccer even have goalies, they only make the game worse. Just shrink the net, elevate it slightly and make it illegal for someone to squat in front while playing under a totally different ruleset than the rest of the dudes.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

C. Everett Koop posted:

And it's not like the title was given to GSW after Durant signed, even if it felt like it, because they sacrificed any depth for that top-end talent. When Durant got hurt in February and was out for just about the rest of the regular season, there were fears that he was done for the year which would have radically changed up the direction of the playoffs. Sure the Warriors probably steamroll their way to the WCF (and maybe steamroll to the Finals if they're willing to undercut Kawaii again) but the Cavs aren't a complete pushover.

Ehh, the concerns about sacrificing depth were mostly about how it might increase the likelihood of injuries for stars. Which is to say that a cascade of injuries was about the only thing people thought could derail them.

One of the reasons people hated that KD move so much was that it made the whole season seem like a forgone conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Nah, just the regular season and the first few rounds of the playoffs.

Also the Spurs always have a chance.

• Locked thread