Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Welcome, team white!

The players on team white are:

Added Space
blizzardvizard
bman in 2288
Cloud Potato
Dr. Fetus
Faerie Fortune
Fat Samurai
Garbonix
Gridlocked
habituallyred
jon joe
Junpei Hyde
Maigius
oath2order
Oblivion4568238
StoryTime
sebzilla
Twib

Rules of the game:

The teams will choose their move based on a simple vote - Note that this means that explaining to your team mates why your suggested move is the best is just as important as coming up with it in the first place!

Teams will have 24 hours to decide on their move, though I will call the vote early if one move gains a clear majority.

I'd much prefer if you refer to your moves using standard chess notation as much as possible to make things easier on me!

I'd also prefer if as much team communication as possible is kept in the threads, both for the benefit of the observer thread and to make it easier for new players to follow the lines of thinking without having to use external sites.

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.

No use of chess engines to find moves is allowed.

However: Linking to Wikipedia or other sources of information when referring to openings or chess concepts is not only allowed, but actively encouraged!

Absolutely no super villainy allowed.

A quick summary of algebraic notation

Each square on the chessboard is identified by a coordinate system. The vertical columns (files) are labelled, a-h, the horisontal rows (ranks) are labelled 1-8.

Each move is denoted by the letter of the piece (K for king, Q for queen, R for rook, B for bishop, N for knight, pawns don't get a letter), and the square that they move to. For example: Bf4 denotes that a bishop moves to the square f4.

If a capture is made, this is denoted by an x. For example: Bxf4 denotes a bishop moving to square f4 and capturing.

If more than one piece can move to the same square the notation is disambiguated by the letter of the file (vertical column) from which the piece moved. For example, Bgf4 means that the bishop on the g file moves to f4.

Want to play even more chess?

Check out the free app Chess by Post! (Microsoft Store , Google Play, App Store)

It features both ranked matchmade games against random players at the same skill level, and unranked games with friends with full compatibility across all devices. It also has a very handy move planner, which probably is the main thing saving me from constantly blundering. It also has an extremely merciful time limit for games, which is nice.

Usernames of thread goons using the app (just let me know if you want to be added to this list!):

covski
idhrendur
excloudygh
circlmastr
fatsamurai
HisMajestyBOB
Livewire42
Leylite
Raldan

Covski fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

White to move.

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Best of luck, team white!

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Reserved, possibly.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
b4 (moving our second from left pawn up two spaces) is not a good move, but it is a funny one that people have trouble responding to. It opens up our queenside bishop to make plays while confusing the heck of the opponent.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
White being the good guys in chess (Antonius Block played white), we should avoid any trickery and go with the most standard, boring and effective chess possible, leave the twirling of moustaches and daring gambits to the other team. I suggest e4.

Also I suggest posting as much as possible in order to make it look like we have good ideas and deep discussions just by sheer number of posts.

Garbonix
Oct 9, 2012
My suggestion would be D2 to D4 because this gives us an opening to bait an early rush for check from them.

Twib
Dec 24, 2013
Pawn e2 to e4 and Pawn d2 to d4 are the most standard openings because it gives your bishops freedom, frees the queen for early attack opportunities, and begins creating spaces for you knights to work with where they'll have a pawn to protect them. That said, I say Pawn e2 to e4 like Fat Samurai suggested.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'm Drill Sergeant Chessty Puller and I am happy to report that you little pawns are about to become real chessmen. There is no greater joy in my life than seeing you little fellows make it through the board for your promotions. All our efforts should be focused on the promotion of every pawn in our service. Accordingly I recommend:

Knight from 1b to 3c

As this will provide cover for our fire and maneuver teams. And not because I want to see Rickenbacker shot down, no siree.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 10, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since it came up in the other thread: Linking to Wikipedia or other sources of information when referring to openings or chess concepts is not only okay, but actively encouraged! I will amend the rules to mention this.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Joining the 1. e4 hype train. It's a classic for a reason: the centre's important, and doesn't expose the King to sneaky bishop attacks like d4 might.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I've added a short summary of the most commonly used algebraic notation to the first post, to make understanding things a bit easier on new players!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm voting e4 because it's a simple move, and we can take this time to gauge how the other team will react; will they respond in kind, or will they go all out to attack our pawn? Or will they go full blown crazy and just do something incomprehensible?

The future is unknown.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Oh fine, e4 it up. But we will need my not-quite-supervilliany plans eventually. Mark my words!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

habituallyred posted:

I'm Drill Sergeant Chessty Puller and I am happy to report that you little pawns are about to become real chessmen. There is no greater joy in my life than seeing you little fellows make it through the board for your promotions. All our efforts should be focused on the promotion of every pawn in our service. Accordingly I recommend:

Knight from 1b to 3c

As this will provide cover for our fire and maneuver teams. And not because I want to see Rickenbacker shot down, no siree.

Yeah, pawns are for losers, let's get the horsies involved early on.

Nc3

Giddy-up!

e: Just saw we're meant to sign up and be assigned teams, oops. Ignore this vote unless I can still join and be on Team White Knight.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 11, 2017

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile, while we wait, I highly encourage the posting of chess memes.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Like I said in sign-ups, I'm better at being reactionary than planning ahead, and the opening move is all planning. So, I'll hop on the e4 bandwagon for this turn. Expect me to do better once our opponents have made moves for me to analyze, but I wouldn't bet on me making a team-saving argument that brings us from the brink of defeat to an unlikely victory like in the RPS thread.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

e4 seems sensible. Let's save the unorthodox for later

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Pawn E2 to E4 is a fairly standard opening move. (Along with D2 to D4). Can't go wrong with the classics.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
e4 is good

Go for something like this:

https://www.chess.com/openings/C01_French_Defense_Mediterranean_Defense

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
e4 is a fine opening move.

Let's be cool see what Black's response is and then decide what opening move to continue with from there.

If we play the way the book tells us we surely can't lose!

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

The opening move always confused me, I get kinda overwhelmed with choice paralysis, which isn't helped by the fact that I barely know how to play this game so I guess I'll just go along with what everyone else wants for now until a more obvious move comes up. e4 is good with me

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Calling the vote early for 1.e4, with 12 votes. (10 needed to have a majority)

sebzilla posted:

e: Just saw we're meant to sign up and be assigned teams, oops. Ignore this vote unless I can still join and be on Team White Knight.

What the hell, I'll allow a late joiner just this one time, as long as you promise you're not secretly a chess grandmaster! :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like the way this thread thinks.

Declare checkmate in 20 moves.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Covski posted:

What the hell, I'll allow a late joiner just this one time, as long as you promise you're not secretly a chess grandmaster! :)

Cool, thanks! I'm aggressively mediocre at Chess but had a lot of fun reading the RPS thread and am excited to be involved with this one!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So bearing in mind I'm pretty much completely new at chess, my first thought is Knight to b-3 to contest the black pawn, and I guess also threaten the center area. Is that a good idea?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
To continue on the standard line of play, exd5 (our pawn capturing theirs) is the best option.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

So bearing in mind I'm pretty much completely new at chess, my first thought is Knight to b-3 to contest the black pawn, and I guess also threaten the center area. Is that a good idea?

I'm not sure I'm happy with giving them the chance to trade pawns. If they do take our pawn and we take it back with our knight we're not developing any pieces in our move (moving a piece twice is mostly a waste so early), and if we leave the black pawn in e4 that's going to cramp further developments on the King's side, because it will be threatening both d3 and f3.

If we go and murder their pawn (exd5) we:

- Lose tempo but gain material
- Control the centre of the board and threaten c6 (a natural place to move their Knight, they are way less useful next to the border) and e6 (same with the bishop)
- Show them who's boss and
- Bait their Queen (i.e. a big, fat, juicy target) to come down and take the pawn back. If they choose to play Qxd5 we counter with your move (Kb3), and that means time lost for them moving the Queen around.

They are goons, of course they are going to take the bait.

exd5

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also, obviously I haven't read the Black thread as that would be haram, but black thread has way more posts than us. I find it unlikely that they are actually having super deep discussions, and even more unlikely that Fat Samurai's plan of posting a lot to show discussion is also being used by them, so I can only assume they are having a hecka cool and fun party or just can't get along at all. I hope it's the latter, but if it's the former, will the power of friendship manage to defeat our standardized openings?!

Nah

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Although, if I were to use the quick turnaround they had regarding move choice as evidence, they probably just posted about our several potential moves and therefore what they'd do in response, in effect having multiple votes. So they had a discussion for what if we e4'd, d4'd, c4'd, etc.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

A thought occurs to me, if this is such a standard opening then surely someone on their team knows how to counter it, right? Why not do something completely off the wall and unexpected to throw them off a whole bunch and get them confused about what our strategy might be, then take advantage while they scramble to figure out what the hell we're doing?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

A thought occurs to me, if this is such a standard opening then surely someone on their team knows how to counter it, right? Why not do something completely off the wall and unexpected to throw them off a whole bunch and get them confused about what our strategy might be, then take advantage while they scramble to figure out what the hell we're doing?

That's what I was saying!

But real answer, it's because this set of openings is advantageous to white if both teams play it perfectly. There will be time to diverge later after we move away from the easily wikipedia-searchable moves. In the meantime, why not just capture value where we can find it?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

jon joe posted:

Also, obviously I haven't read the Black thread as that would be haram, but black thread has way more posts than us. I find it unlikely that they are actually having super deep discussions, and even more unlikely that Fat Samurai's plan of posting a lot to show discussion is also being used by them, so I can only assume they are having a hecka cool and fun party or just can't get along at all. I hope it's the latter, but if it's the former, will the power of friendship manage to defeat our standardized openings?!

Nah

If Goon vs Goon threads have taught me anything is this: blame Herp. For everything.

Faerie Fortune posted:

Standard is standard for a reason. It works, and the other way probably doesn't.

Most of the moves that aren't outright horrible have a somewhat clear "best" answer, so unless we do an outright dumb move (say, advance the a pawn one square each turn for the first 5 turns), they can check a wiki or whatever and find an appropriate countermove. There will be time to be wacky and daring, but the second move probably isn't it.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5

Son of a bitch, these guys are good

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here's a neat post on chess.com about this line if anyone is interested.

Of particular note:

quote:

After 1. e4, the move 1... d5 is the 8th most played move in the Chess.com Master Games database. Out of the nearly 600,000 games beginning with 1. e4, only 2% of the games (almost 13,000 games) continues with 1... d5. In those games, white has scored roughly 43% wins, 30% draws and 27% losses.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Which is better than typical, just to be clear.

Okay I'll shut up now.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

All of this is fair, I'm just extremely new to this and don't really know the "standard" strategies so I'm all over the place trying to be useful and saying silly things and getting ahead of myself :ohdear:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

No worries, and I understand it can feel constraining to replay a set of moves someone thought about a long time ago, but for now is probably for the best. We'll have time to be dumb together in 3-4 moves when we run out of script. :shobon:

And even before that, because there are other viable alternatives (for example blizzardvizard's suggestion if it gets enough traction) and then it's a matter of preference and convincing the other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Let's start as we mean to go on by recklessly careering forward and fighting everything we can.

exd5

• Locked thread