Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Current Lichess board link.

Voting Nxa7+.

We have to be very careful the next couple of moves. If we give them the chance I can see them playing Qxd1+, Rxd1 Rxd1#. This pressure could be eased with g3, but at the loss of a lot of tempo.

It sounds like most of our plan is based around taking their queen next turn, and in turn our queen being taken by their rook, but they may retaliate with their knight instead. I think it's worth considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Current Lichess board link.

Voting Nxa7+.

We have to be very careful the next couple of moves. If we give them the chance I can see them playing Qxd1+, Rxd1 Rxd1#. This pressure could be eased with g3, but at the loss of a lot of tempo.

It sounds like most of our plan is based around taking their queen next turn, and in turn our queen being taken by their rook, but they may retaliate with their knight instead. I think it's worth considering.

Agreed. I just had a conversation with my brother (who is much better at chess than I am) and pointed out what you just said. I think going on the offensive here could be a bad idea, because if they move Kb7, it will lead to our loss. Phone posting, so explaining is hard. But I'm gonna say g3. If we play it now, we may still have a strong presence in the board without the vulnerabilities the constant checks will move us into.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

bman in 2288 posted:

Agreed. I just had a conversation with my brother (who is much better at chess than I am) and pointed out what you just said. I think going on the offensive here could be a bad idea, because if they move Kb7, it will lead to our loss. Phone posting, so explaining is hard. But I'm gonna say g3. If we play it now, we may still have a strong presence in the board without the vulnerabilities the constant checks will move us into.

g3 immediately loses us the queen.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah that's paralyzing us with weird over-thinking. We can push Black around through check and work the board to our advantage right now, then take their Queen and protect our own.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

I'm going to be going away to a cabin with doubtful internet access over the weekend, so next update will most likely be on Sunday evening at the earliest.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to premptively point out we absolutely have to go Rxd7 next move. Otherwise they go Qxd1 and we're in trouble.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'm pretty sure that was the plan.

At the very least, we don't have to worry about that d8 Rook when we do that, since moving that to d1 would just give us a free Rook.

Hmm, if they go Kb8 or Kc7, we can just have our Queen take their Knight to put them in check again. Our Knight is protected by the Bishop, though. So they can't take it with the King.

However, it they go Kb7, Rxd7 must be our next move. It'll take out that Queen and put that King in Check again. We'll lose the Rook, but we were always prepared to make that sacrifice. But our Knight is still safe thanks to our, Bishop.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 12, 2017

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Did we win?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
The cabin won. Like in all the slasher movies. And that one Frasier episode.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Didn't Ash escape that one time?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

I guess we found out who our real opponent was all along. :argh:

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Rxd7+ then

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Lichess link. Congrats on surviving the cabin, Covski.

The queen must fall. Voting Rxd7+.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

https://youtu.be/FAsIx3oPY-8

Rxd7+

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Bye bye, Queenie.

Rxd7+

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Rxd7+

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Off with her head! :black101:

Rxd7+

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Rxd7+

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Rxd7+

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Possibilities:

They go Rxd7. We can take their Knight (Qxe5) for nothing.

They go Nxd7. We play Qxf7 and pin the Knight while threatening the remainder of their backline? Or Rd1 to bring our other rook into the fray (effectively still pins the Knight otherwise we go Rxd8)?

They move their King. We probably still want to take the Knight.

Chances are they'll go for the knight capture, so we can plan our next move accordingly. I think I'm leaning towards Rd1 at this point.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

sebzilla posted:

They go Rxd7. We can take their Knight (Qxe5) for nothing.

Agreed.

sebzilla posted:

They go Nxd7. We play Qxf7 and pin the Knight while threatening the remainder of their backline? Or Rd1 to bring our other rook into the fray (effectively still pins the Knight otherwise we go Rxd8)?

I feel Rd1 is still subject to the "Rook takes Rook on d1 and insta-wins" possibility, even with their knight providing cover for now. My thought here was Qa5, tightening the noose around their king and threatening their rook.

sebzilla posted:

They move their King. We probably still want to take the Knight.

If they're silly enought to move their King, then taking their rook with Rxd8 would be better.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7

:siren: Rules update! In order to speed things up as we are nearing the end of the game, I will now be calling the votes at 5 votes if there are no votes for different moves, or 7 votes if other options are being voted for. For reference, any moves which have received 7 votes have ended up winning and there has only been a few cases were a non-winning move has received more than 5 votes, so this shouldn't change anything in practice except making the game move faster. :siren:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Nifty.

Qxe5

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Let's take that Knight. It's not like that Rook is currently a threat at the moment.

Qxe5

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I don't see any problem with taking their knight. It would be nice to put their king in check again, but you can't have everything.

It'll take them at least two moves to be in a threatening position (getting the bishop out of the way and then moving their other rook to d8), and we can counter it covering d1 with our queen.

Qxe5

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:choco: Qxe5.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: if we move Qxe5, what's to say that their rook will move to d1? Even they will see that going for that check will lose them a rook unnecessarily. There are (kind of) moves they can take that won't end with losing big pieces, but it doesn't seem like those moves really do anything.

Someone else help me with this train of logic.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Question: if we move Qxe5, what's to say that their rook will move to d1? Even they will see that going for that check will lose them a rook unnecessarily. There are (kind of) moves they can take that won't end with losing big pieces, but it doesn't seem like those moves really do anything.

Someone else help me with this train of logic.

What Dr. Fetus meant (I think, and what I answered to) is that IF they put the two rooks in the same column (on d7 and d8) AND we leave them alone, they can move the d7 rook to d1, we take it with our a1 rook, they take it back with the d8 rook and it's checkmate.

It's a very long shot that requires us to be completely oblivious for three turns, but it's the only way I can see the rook threatening us.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yeah in the context of our move it doesn't really matter what they do immediately next. We've got a chance to take their Knight with zero repercussions right now. We should take that opportunity.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I mean, I voted for it, didn't I?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

I missed the bold before and thought you were just asking a question.

e: Thats five votes without dissent. Paging Covski!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5

Let me know what you think of the new update pace! As mentioned, based on how all the votes have gone previously the new rules shouldn't change the outcome of the votes, but I hope you don't feel the pace is too quick for you to have a decent discussion.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Covski posted:

Let me know what you think of the new update pace! As mentioned, based on how all the votes have gone previously the new rules shouldn't change the outcome of the votes, but I hope you don't feel the pace is too quick for you to have a decent discussion.

I like it. Let's wrap this thing up before Halloween

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0 10.Be3 Qc7 11.Rd1 e5 12.Bxc6 bxc6 13.Nc3 h5 14.dxe5 Ng4 15.Nb5 Nxe5 16.Qf5+ Qd7 17.Nxa7+ Kb7 18.Rxd7+ Rxd7 19.Qxe5 c5

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Warning: Work procrastination :words: incoming.

So, they are threatening our Knight because it's not longer protected by our Bishop. I can see three broad categories of moves here:

1. Retreat: We simply move the Knight to b5. It's protected by our pawn and we can still threaten the area where the Black King is, and can later move to c3 to cover our weak spot (d1). The bad part is that Black now has the initiative to do some other stuff. Something like this:

20. Kb5 Be7
21. Qxg7 Rd8
22. Kc3

Black to move:

It's a secure position, but now both our Knight and Rook are bogged down protecting our King until we gave it a way out. Moving the Queen away is probably a mistake, too, I guess we could do something else instead of Qxg7 too, but taking undefended pieces is fun.

2. Take the pawn with our Bishop: (taking with the Queen is not an option, we lose it). We probably trade our Bishop for their Bishop and a pawn, but end up in a worse position defensively. For example:

20. Bxc5 Bxc5
21. Qxc5 Rd8
22. Forced, not very productive move to avoid checkmate

White to move:

We're one move away from checkmate, but it has an easy solution (Rf1, for example, or simply advancing one of our three pawns in order to give our King a way out). It's annoying, though. We have two pieces out there next to their King (our Knight is undefended, though), instead of one, but their two rooks are going to make difficult to close the match.

3. Keep up the pressure. They want to take our Knight? Fine. We threaten their Rook, by moving our Queen to a position on the same diagonal than the c7 Rook. That makes them lose tempo moving their rook away (or losing it in exchange of our Knight). If they move it down the d column, it's not there to cover their King (and we can check by taking their f pawn with our Queen, keeping the initiative and probably getting a checkmate easily), and if they decide Rc7 we have make impossible for them link their rooks. Say:

20. Qe8 Rc7
21. Nb5

Black to move.

Their Bishop is pinned if they don't want to lose the Rook, the other Rook is under assault, all our pieces are covered and I don't see how they can mount any kind of offensive.

I'm leaning towards either Qe8 or Qf5, but taking a step back is probably fine as well. Ideas?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Qe8 looks pretty solid. Threatens a bunch of stuff and either forces their Rook away from the King or messes up their rook-stack d-file plan.

Qf5 seems weaker in that it doesn't pin their Bishop. Sitting our Queen on their backline is the power move for sure.

Qe8

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Qe8 I was hoping a pawn would get to the other side first, but oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Qe8 looks best out of those options.

• Locked thread