Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here are some other cool Scandinavian videos I've been referring to for this game:

Bobby Fischer wrecking.

Some nerdy guy who gives good explanations.

Really basic video for really basic folks.

This video gives me a headache due to the poor audio quality, but the content is good!

I don't expect most of you to actually watch these, but I'll try to summarize and refer back to them when and if relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Apparently I'm playing chess in Chess by Post now, so if anyone wants to trounce a newbie send an invite to fatsamurai. I've discovered that most chess players don't like to trash talk because they are boring and bad.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Let's do this. The best thing about chess is that because it is:

a) Very Popular and
b) Always played on the same set board, with the same set rules and movement choices

there are only so many permutations of plays available; because we started with +1 Tempo thanks to being White technically we can just follow the permutations of the board down the line selecting the highest probability to win move early on and getting more into the discussion once we start seeing how Black Team reacts.

So Pxe5 seems fine.

Ignore this I am apparently late to the party on this one.

Edit: Oh well the move I would have voted for stands. Yay.

I recommend taking a gander at the wiki page on the Scandinavian Defense, the two most popular 3.'s are listed there (Qxd5 or Nf6)

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 12, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

You're going down, Covski!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

You're going down, Covski!

Come at me! :bahgawd:

Adding you to the list of Chess by Post players.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I guess the typical response here would be Pawn D2 to D4. Unless someone else has a better suggestion.

So does this tell us anything about our opponents?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Why not Bb5? That forces them to sacrifice a piece.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Added Space posted:

That might look good on paper, forcing a Bishop or a Queen to come out, but they could also just block that by moving their C7 Pawn to C6. And then both our Bishop and Pawn would be in danger unless we can somehow capitalize on that move.

EDIT: Oh wait, we do have a pawn deployed there, and it'll be safe if we force a check like that. So we could use that to take their pawn instead, moving it out of danger from the other Knight and... I'm not really sure where we could go from there. So I won't be changing my vote just yet.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jul 12, 2017

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Added Space posted:

They counter c6, which is covered by the Knight and by the b pawn.

a) We take the pawn on c6 with ours: They take it back with their pawn on b column.

b) We don't: We have to run back with our bishop.

Whether we take their pawn with ours or not the end result is our Bishop facing a protected pawn, so we end up running away and wasting a move.

EDIT: Also, I'm using Covski as a sparring in our game, and d4 (Advancing our pawn on d just behind the other one is a bitch of a move to deal with, so I'm voting for that.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Work-postin', but first instinct is to stick with the previous idea of Nc3.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

What makes d4 so good? Is it to open up plays from the bishop and the queen?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah I don't see the big deal about d4 myself either. Anyone more chess-headed care to elucidate?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So if I'm reading this right, the choices are basically between playing it safe to strengthen our defence a little bit, or doing something risky but that would possibly force them into bringing one of their important pieces out of hiding and thus creating an opening for us?

I just want to be sure before I think about this some more, I'm having a lot more trouble understanding the chess notation than I really should be

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oops. My bad.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 12, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

This is not the observer thread friend :)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
d4 is the correct move here, and here's why (references the videos I posted earlier);

It develops a piece to the center, which is always a good move. One might think "Ah, we are sacrificing a pawn for tempo when they capture with their knight. Is that worth it?"

To which the answer is "Yes, absolutely!"

You see, we're already up a pawn. Once our opponent moves to capture our pawn on d5 with their knight, we move our pawn to c4 on the next move, threatening the knight. We gain extra tempo from this, as they will be forced to move their knight for the third time in the game. That's really bad for Black!

There are some fork attacks Black can attempt on us as a result of this line, but I am aware of them from the videos so they will not actually be successful. Black will waste their time.

Black will waste their pieces.

And when Black has defeated themselves, we will be victorious.

Let Black defeat their selves and go d4!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Here is a timestamped video explaining more in-depth why this particular response of ours is best.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Specifically, our opponents are playing a line known as the Modern Scandinavian Gambit; gambits are a specific term in chess, called such because they sacrifice pawns in an attempt to gain tempo. If we wanted to accept this gambit, we would protect our pawn with a pawn of our own. The end result would lead to a board where Black is down a pawn, but has significantly better board position than us. Declining the gambit through d4 removes our pawn advantage, but grants us the tempo instead.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I may have confused some things there for anyone who actually knows chess super in-depth, my apologies. We don't actually know if our opponent are going to go the specific Modern Scandinavian Gambit video I posted, but I have a feeling. The gambit we are specifically declining with d4 is the Icelandic Gambit, because accepting said gambit tends to be good for Black.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Yeah I don't see the big deal about d4 myself either. Anyone more chess-headed care to elucidate?

Think about the "controlled" squares on the board. Those two pawns in a row are annoying as gently caress, because they are closing development on most of the board by threatening 4 important squares: c5-c6-e5-e6. Now, if you take an opening, any opening, they are going to use those squares. They are kind of important and we're right in the middle of them.

- The Knight on Queen side cannot move, because touching the side of the board is mostly a wasted move. Horsies want to be as close to the centre as possible.
- Advancing the pawns mean trading, we keep the initiative and gently caress their pawn line a bit. They probably won't.
- That means the Bishop on King's side is going to be there for a while.
- The Bishop on Queen's side can only move to d7 or f5. Both a bit of a waste, they are not threatening anything important.

That's going to keep on happening as long as or pawns are there. Now compare it with our situation, where the Bishops have 2 full lines to run through and the Knights can advance to their natural positions.

Not defending our forward pawn means they will probably take it with either Knight or Queen. We can counter that with either c4 or Kc4, respectively, which they cannot take. That forces them to either move back (so lose a turn, meanwhile we keep control of the middle of the board) or charge forward unsupported, which is all kinds of bad idea, specially for the Queen.

By our move on turn 4 they have 1 developed knight vs our 2 pieces, and maybe a Queen crying softly because it's all alone in a dangerous spot (probably a5, which is a dangerous spot 2 pawn moves away of being severely inconvenienced)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Now something worth mentioning, mentioned by another video I watched, is the possibility of playing Bishop to b5 in this position, which puts the opponent in check. This was also mentioned in a post by Dr. Fetus:

Dr. Fetus posted:

That might look good on paper, forcing a Bishop or a Queen to come out, but they could also just block that by moving their C7 Pawn to C6. And then both our Bishop and Pawn would be in danger unless we can somehow capitalize on that move.

EDIT: Oh wait, we do have a pawn deployed there, and it'll be safe if we force a check like that. So we could use that to take their pawn instead, moving it out of danger from the other Knight and... I'm not really sure where we could go from there. So I won't be changing my vote just yet.

Now, our opponent's worse move in response is actually the movement of their pawn to c6. We capture, they recapture, and then we need to move back our bishop only one space to c4, an excellent position to be in with no choice of counter attack. This is actually much stronger than the traditional d4 if the opponents make this mistake. The proper response to us moving bishop to b5 is blocking by moving their knight to b7. Our bishop gets to hang out their for a turn whilst we make a standard develop like knight to f3, but will soon be kicked off by a6, a great tempo play for black.

So the main upside to this move is it baits our opponent into a not-so-obvious mistake that leaves our board in a great position while still being a pawn up.

The main downside, beside the possibility that the play it correctly, is after this execution of moves we are 100% out of runway in terms of play I can easily google for us (though, counter-point, same goes for our opponent and also you guys might want to start doing things off-the-book).

I'm still personally rooting for d4, but I have absolutely no problem with the move of bishop to b5 check.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Not defending our forward pawn means they will probably take it with either Knight or Queen. We can counter that with either c4 or Kc4, respectively, which they cannot take. That forces them to either move back (so lose a turn, meanwhile we keep control of the middle of the board) or charge forward unsupported, which is all kinds of bad idea, specially for the Queen.

One thing to mention on this if they choose to capture with their queen after we play d4 is that an immediate Kc4 is not the ideal move; it's not a bad one, but we'd preferably like to support our pawn with Kf3, make a play with our kingside bishop to somewhere better, castle, and then finally c4 to attack the queen. The result is much stronger board position that, while delaying the tempo gain on the queen, does not by any means give it up even if Black responds perfectly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

jon joe posted:

Now something worth mentioning, mentioned by another video I watched, is the possibility of playing Bishop to b5 in this position, which puts the opponent in check. This was also mentioned in a post by Dr. Fetus:

Now, our opponent's worse move in response is actually the movement of their pawn to c6. We capture, they recapture, and then we need to move back our bishop only one space to c4, an excellent position to be in with no choice of counter attack.
While this is true, we're using two moves to get there, which is worth considering.

And of course they could just put their Knight in the way, again using our moves to little to no gain right now.

jon joe posted:

One thing to mention on this if they choose to capture with their queen after we play d4 is that an immediate Kc4 is not the ideal move; it's not a bad one, but we'd preferably like to support our pawn with Kf3, make a play with our kingside bishop to somewhere better, castle, and then finally c4 to attack the queen. The result is much stronger board position that, while delaying the tempo gain on the queen, does not by any means give it up even if Black responds perfectly.

That assumes that the Queen is going to hang around for a while, though. I'd rather take the gains when we can, but I guess that's a bridge to cross when we get there.

Gottagofast, damnit!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

That assumes that the Queen is going to hang around for a while, though. I'd rather take the gains when we can, but I guess that's a bridge to cross when we get there.

Gottagofast, damnit!

Desiring to play fast and loose aside, there's no reason their not-under-attack queen wouldn't hang around. To do otherwise would be to tempo their selves without us having to commit a move forcing them to, which is even better for us.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Primarily I'm hoping that after we d4, our opponents attempts the Portuguese gambit which involves them moving their bishop to g4. Now you may think our natural development their would be our pawn to block the attack on our queen while attacking the bishop, but this is a mistake much in the same way a pawn play is a mistake by our opponent if we were to play our own bishop deep into enemy lines. After our opponent backs off to f5 we're looking at a board where we need to commit to defending our pawn at d5 by playing c4, which leads to a game where we are primarily developing pawns and our opponent is styling with a bunch of cool knights and bishops. It's not the worst thing to happen, but is very annoying and makes for an extremely unbalanced board that can be difficult to analyze.

The proper response is knight to f3, blocking the bishop. This gives us breathing room to develop our board in other ways, for example attacking the bishop with pawn to h3.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

jon joe posted:

d4 is the correct move here, and here's why (references the videos I posted earlier);

Fat Samurai posted:

Think about the "controlled" squares on the board.

Yeah, I'm voting d4 after these posts.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

I'm still making a case for Bb5, which naturally proceeds to this state.Black's queen side pawns and knight are pinned down, the only bad thing is that black gets the first unforced move.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Added Space posted:

I'm still making a case for Bb5, which naturally proceeds to this state.Black's queen side pawns and knight are pinned down, the only bad thing is that black gets the first unforced move.

To reiterate earlier, while this state is very good, it only proceeds if black makes the mistake of capturing the bishop with their pawn rather than blocking it with their knight.

Blocking with their own bishop is also fine for them, though not as good as blocking with their knight.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
If they advance their knight we capture it with our bishop. A bishop for a knight is a good trade.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Added Space posted:

If they advance their knight we capture it with our bishop. A bishop for a knight is a good trade.

Sorry, but that's backwards; bishops are worth slightly more than a knight, especially at these early stages of the game. Not to mention that capturing the knight leads to a counter-capture using their bishop or queen, offering a free development that will naturally develop into a queen-side castle.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Added Space posted:

It also opens the lines for their rook, which usually are a pain to get out

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, my main problem is being too aggressive. Changing vote from Bb5+ to d4

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, something to also keep in mind is how easy/hard it is to send out the back row pieces into active duty.

Knights: No need to move the pawns since they can just jump over them.

Bishops: Only one pawn diagonally from them needs to be out of the way for them to be ready to go.

Rook: Only the pawn in front of them needs to be out of the way, but at minimum it would take a Rook at least 2 turns to be in active duty near the opening stages (since they would have to move vertically, then horizontally to be in a relatively good position), which definitely makes them a pain to send out since 2 turns is a fairly heavy investment. Castling can be a nice way to send a Rook out into active duty faster (while also protecting the King) but there are certain conditions that have to be in effect before you can use that move.

Queen: Any of the pawns in front of her would have to be gone, though sending out the Queen early is risky.

King: You typically don't want to do this since the objective of the game is to keep the King safe.

In the opening stages, you wouldn't want to make the job easier for the opponent unless necessary, since that can give them an advantage since more of their pieces would be in active duty earlier.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm really looking forward to the sequel, Goons play Texas Hold'em.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Covski posted:

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Voting for d4. My original idea was Nc3, which would end up Nxd5-Nxd5-Qxd5, which ain't good. Possibilty of playing c4 now, which would end up in a similar situation to Nc3 but at least would leave us with a knight and a pawn taken at the cost of 2 pawns.

Another thing to consider: they didn't take the unsupported pawn with their queen, so perhaps our interpretation of Goon-style hyper-aggressive chess was way off. And there's no guarantee that they'll even take the d5 pawn. How would we respond to Ne4? And then Nf2??? Actually, this early on, Kxf2 would counter that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My guess is that they're also trying to scout us as well, seeing how we'd respond to these moves.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Cloud Potato posted:

Another thing to consider: they didn't take the unsupported pawn with their queen, so perhaps our interpretation of Goon-style hyper-aggressive chess was way off. And there's no guarantee that they'll even take the d5 pawn. How would we respond to Ne4? And then Nf2

If they go Knight e4, we move pawn f3 and then if they go knight f2, we capture it with our king and are extremely super happy that our opponents are downright terrible.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Though honestly, bishop d3 would be the better immediate response to some bizarre play like Knight e4; only idiots would then go for our f2 pawn, the more likely result is that they'd retreat to f6 where they started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Actually I take that back a second time, they may be looking to support that awkward move with a bishop to f5 if we tried to play out our own bishop, so the pawn is best to prevent that.

tbh though it's not worth thinking out in advance "what if our opponent made this terrible nonsense play?"

• Locked thread