Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Welcome, team white!

The players on team white are:

Added Space
blizzardvizard
bman in 2288
Cloud Potato
Dr. Fetus
Faerie Fortune
Fat Samurai
Garbonix
Gridlocked
habituallyred
jon joe
Junpei Hyde
Maigius
oath2order
Oblivion4568238
StoryTime
sebzilla
Twib

Rules of the game:

The teams will choose their move based on a simple vote - Note that this means that explaining to your team mates why your suggested move is the best is just as important as coming up with it in the first place!

Teams will have 24 hours to decide on their move, though I will call the vote early if one move gains a clear majority.

I'd much prefer if you refer to your moves using standard chess notation as much as possible to make things easier on me!

I'd also prefer if as much team communication as possible is kept in the threads, both for the benefit of the observer thread and to make it easier for new players to follow the lines of thinking without having to use external sites.

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.

No use of chess engines to find moves is allowed.

However: Linking to Wikipedia or other sources of information when referring to openings or chess concepts is not only allowed, but actively encouraged!

Absolutely no super villainy allowed.

A quick summary of algebraic notation

Each square on the chessboard is identified by a coordinate system. The vertical columns (files) are labelled, a-h, the horisontal rows (ranks) are labelled 1-8.

Each move is denoted by the letter of the piece (K for king, Q for queen, R for rook, B for bishop, N for knight, pawns don't get a letter), and the square that they move to. For example: Bf4 denotes that a bishop moves to the square f4.

If a capture is made, this is denoted by an x. For example: Bxf4 denotes a bishop moving to square f4 and capturing.

If more than one piece can move to the same square the notation is disambiguated by the letter of the file (vertical column) from which the piece moved. For example, Bgf4 means that the bishop on the g file moves to f4.

Want to play even more chess?

Check out the free app Chess by Post! (Microsoft Store , Google Play, App Store)

It features both ranked matchmade games against random players at the same skill level, and unranked games with friends with full compatibility across all devices. It also has a very handy move planner, which probably is the main thing saving me from constantly blundering. It also has an extremely merciful time limit for games, which is nice.

Usernames of thread goons using the app (just let me know if you want to be added to this list!):

covski
idhrendur
excloudygh
circlmastr
fatsamurai
HisMajestyBOB
Livewire42
Leylite
Raldan

Covski fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

White to move.

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

Best of luck, team white!

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 10, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Reserved, possibly.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since it came up in the other thread: Linking to Wikipedia or other sources of information when referring to openings or chess concepts is not only okay, but actively encouraged! I will amend the rules to mention this.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

I've added a short summary of the most commonly used algebraic notation to the first post, to make understanding things a bit easier on new players!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Calling the vote early for 1.e4, with 12 votes. (10 needed to have a majority)

sebzilla posted:

e: Just saw we're meant to sign up and be assigned teams, oops. Ignore this vote unless I can still join and be on Team White Knight.

What the hell, I'll allow a late joiner just this one time, as long as you promise you're not secretly a chess grandmaster! :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since the issue has come up in all the threads: I will only call the vote early when a majority of all players on a team vote for the same move. This means 10 players out of a total of 18 on each team.

My thinking is that you would all rather keep the game moving forward in a situation where it is extremely unlikely that the balance will be upset (as it would require everyone who hasn't voted to vote for another option, as well as at least one other player changing their vote). I'm certain this won't be an issue later on when we move out of book openings and the decisions are more contentious.

However, if any of you feel very strongly about this, I'm more than willing to change this policy! :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Go on then. I vote exd5, and I believe that's 10 votes.

Right you are!

Calling the vote for exd5 with 10 votes. (10 needed to have a majority)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

You're going down, Covski!

Come at me! :bahgawd:

Adding you to the list of Chess by Post players.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

This is not the observer thread friend :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4

Black has 24 hours decide on a move.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Ok, how can I post board positions without taking screenshots and then editing them? I think I'm onto something bad but funny.

https://lichess.org/editor is a good choice.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there a way to copy the image as a link? I was taking screenshots and then cropping them, which is a pain. Otherwise I'll go with jon joe's

Not as far as I know, no.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Calling the vote for Bb5+, with 10 votes. (actually only 9 needed for majority now since one player has dropped out)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Sebzilla joined up before the end of the first vote, so in effect you have always been 18 players, until now when Faerie Fortune dropped.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

jon joe posted:

I'll be the first to admit I'm at fault for the current state of affairs; the way I've worded my suggestions has probably shut down discussion immensely compared to if I wasn't in the game at all. That's totally my fault, but I don't want that to actually be the case. Let alone that we probably wouldn't win if we just listened to me all the time, I think it makes the game less fun and less of a learning experience for you all. I'll need to remember my audience going forward and phrase things less absolutely; I feel like this is also somewhat the problem with the game of choice, as chess really does have best moves, with extremely detailed writings on openings (which, we're still in the opening). However, even with all my references, I will likely not know a lot pretty soon here.

I have a number of things I can do, just let me know what would work best:

1. Offer no move suggestions of my own, but involve myself in the discussion of moves.
2. Never refer to a video, article, or book for the rest of the game
3. Just straight up leave the game

Or whatever else you think would make this game more fun for you all. My problem is I just get really competitive and want to win these types of things, so that's the mindset I went in with, and while I noticed it could have been a problem pretty early I really didn't dial it back anywhere near enough, I think.

If you want my input this, absolutely don't stop posting! Your posts are super insightful and providing a lot of great reading for us observers. However, I'd agree with the suggestion of adding more images for ease of comprehension, especially when going over several different lines in the same post!

Junpei Hyde posted:

I'm not sure what the point of me as an inexperienced player posting in this thread is tbh, it feels like all im doing is getting told to vote one way or another. Is there gonna be a newbies only game in the future?

Yeah, I'm absolutely considering running a newbie game after this, assuming this game concludes in a somewhat reasonable time frame!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

dxc6 wins the vote with 10 votes! (9 needed for majority)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Nf3 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Qxf3 wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

O-O wins the vote!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O e6

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Heads-up: I'm not sure I'll be able to update according to the usual 24 hour schedule on account of doing weekend things! However, you still only have 15 minutes left to vote if you are inclined to do so.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.O-O e6 9.c4

Sorry about the lack of updates, back on track for now!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1.e4 d5 2.exd5 Nf6 3.d4 Bg4 4.Bb5+ c6 5.dxc6 Nxc6 6.Nf3 Bxf3 7.Qxf3 Qd7 8.0-0 e6 9.c4 0-0-0

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Friendly reminder: When changing your votes, please indicate in the same post what you are changing your vote from :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Be3 wins the vote!

• Locked thread