Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm voting e4 because it's a simple move, and we can take this time to gauge how the other team will react; will they respond in kind, or will they go all out to attack our pawn? Or will they go full blown crazy and just do something incomprehensible?

The future is unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Agreeing with exd5 because this is really going to gauge how the black team will respond: take out their queen to protect, or will they make a weird move here and now? Either way, the less we show of our hand, the better, don't you guys think?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So now that we've taken their pawn, one of their options is to pull the queen out to try and stop us from rushing the king, right? But what if they move one of their pawns to either c6 or e6? Is that a move that we should consider them taking? What if they decide to go crazy and try to pull out their king? What if they try to move the rook into play before the queen, via pawn displacement?

I'm sorry. Like I said, I have no clue how to play this game, so I don't know what alternative moves to expect the other team to try.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I think demoralizing would work an interesting way here: it might split the vote on their side, and they might pick a weird move we can capitalize on. But demoralizing as it works on one person may not work the same way against a large group of them.

I'm just saying that since it's hivemind vs. hivemind, the tactics offered might not work the way we want them to. That being said, moving into positions of power before our opponents would be a good idea. Gonna keep that knight movement in mind.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So assuming that the knight takes the bait on the pawn, can our new pawn take down the knight immediately?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

So...

f3, right?

Or possibly Kf3 but better to actually threaten the bishop, I feel.

My sentiments exactly. But you mention developing our pawns. You mean use them to bring back a powerful piece?

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 13, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
But please note that they haven't been playing perfectly as of the second move. Should we plan for cookie-cutter moves, or should we plan for more aggressiveness from them?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh god slow down, my brain can only handle so much information at one time.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Okay, now that I got a few moments to understand what the hell is going one, agreeing with Bb5, mostly because it doesn't mean immediately almost sacrificing one of our knights. The check should stop them if even for a turn.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question, does the + mean check? I could go back and check the notation rules... but gently caress it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Wow, you're moving all in on this.

Hell yeah, let's kick some rear end.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I am also a newbie and all I do is ask what the hell is going one.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So long as they continue to not give our pawn any attention, using our Knight to protect our Queen at f3 seems like a solid strategy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
What if, after we move Nf3, they decide to develop their f6 instead of doing what you said? Maybe they intend to throw us off via weird moves like that.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

jon joe posted:

Their...f6?

Did you mean what if our opponents played e6?

Oh dear, I meant if they moved their Knight from f6 to wherever, instead of what we've currently predicted they do. It's a weird move and I don't know what it'll do against us.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Nf3 because I wanna contribute, too.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Habituallyred has summed up my thoughts, pretty much. The best we can hope for is their Queen to move, but we can't really expect it. That being said, they stepped too far. Qxf3.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, geez, I didn't even realize that they can check us right now. But even if they do, which is probably their smartest move, there isn't much that they can do that doesn't end with huge losses to their side, my untrained eye sees.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh geez, I didn't see that at all. That doesn't seem to be a bad move at all, Rc8, it's a more even trade if it comes to blows, I think.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
What else can we develop now that they've shown their hand?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

jon joe posted:

Arguing is not interesting :argh:

Being contrary is interesting.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, you know what they say:

Without love, it cannot be checkmate.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Dang it. Missed the deadline by several hours.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
This weekend was fairly uneventful without this. I love me some goon vs. goon shenanigans.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Be3 because I saw it and "frustrate our opponent" in the same post.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
We just have to punch the other team in the face.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
WWBD

What Would Battler Do?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, is this a time to continue developing our side of the board, or should we attempt a counter-offensive? As I am a novice, I can't find any moves that are immediately beneficial to us, and don't get me started on playing the long game. I don't think bringing any pawns up will improve our quality of life, and and openly offensive moves we make right now, we won't come out on top.

But then again, I have no clue what I'm doing anyways.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
In that case, I'm voting Rd1 as well.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So is Bxc6 our best option right now, then?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Fine then. Maybe, depending on their next move, we put them in check. But for now, Bxc6.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Also voting Nc3 because we got a plan and they followed suit.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Is it time to kick rear end and chew bubble gum?

Are we out of gum?

dxe5!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

It seems to me that the moment for Kg4 was before we placed our pawn in the path of their queen towards h2, but whatever. Defending our pawn with Bf4 doesn't look like a horrible idea.

We could trade our bishop for 2 pawns in order to leave their king undefended, but I'm not sure how good that move is (15. Bxa6 Qxa6 16 Qxc6+)

We could theoretically get them to lose resources trying to protect the king, but neither of us have much to work with. What's our Knight at c3 doing?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, if anyone has something better, or can point out a potential benefit of Na7+, I'm all ears.

Until then, let us prepare to commit regicide! Qf5+ :black101:

I like the way you said this. Qf5+!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

16 ... Qd7 17. Nxa7+ to keep on being assholes and take our Knight out of the line of fire. We can Rxd7 after that.

EDIT: Wait, it's basically the same, we have a move if we go 16 ... Qd7 17. Rxd7+ Rxd7 anyway.

Still I prefer being a jerk and making them move their King NOW. :colbert:

I like the idea of: 16. ...Qd7 17. Nxa7+.

But if they decide to move their rook down, Rd7, instead of moving their Queen, we can take advantage of that by using Knight to take their Queen, Nxc7. Easy Queen kill that easy.

But what options do we have if they move their King? Can we just take their Queen with our Knight (Nxc7) and go from there?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Current Lichess board link.

Voting Nxa7+.

We have to be very careful the next couple of moves. If we give them the chance I can see them playing Qxd1+, Rxd1 Rxd1#. This pressure could be eased with g3, but at the loss of a lot of tempo.

It sounds like most of our plan is based around taking their queen next turn, and in turn our queen being taken by their rook, but they may retaliate with their knight instead. I think it's worth considering.

Agreed. I just had a conversation with my brother (who is much better at chess than I am) and pointed out what you just said. I think going on the offensive here could be a bad idea, because if they move Kb7, it will lead to our loss. Phone posting, so explaining is hard. But I'm gonna say g3. If we play it now, we may still have a strong presence in the board without the vulnerabilities the constant checks will move us into.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

The cabin won. Like in all the slasher movies. And that one Frasier episode.

Didn't Ash escape that one time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: if we move Qxe5, what's to say that their rook will move to d1? Even they will see that going for that check will lose them a rook unnecessarily. There are (kind of) moves they can take that won't end with losing big pieces, but it doesn't seem like those moves really do anything.

Someone else help me with this train of logic.

• Locked thread